SpiderMan 2 sucked so bad....no spoiler....saving you trouble - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 15-07-2004, 06:52 PM   Senior Registered Member #41
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
Oh, thats interesting. I've never read the comic books, so please ignore my lack of Spider-Man knowledge.
Neither have I, this is from one of my friends who lives, breaths, and dreams the Amazing Spider-Man comic.
Waste of time really...
Old 15-07-2004, 07:07 PM   Officer #42
DragonRat
Officer

Wait, I thought the Hobgoblin was another guy who stole some of the technology off Oscorps for his own evil purposes. I think I DO remember that Harry Osborne took upon the mantle of the Green Goblin from his father. Because there were epic battles in the comics, in which Spidey took on both the Hobgoblin and the Green Goblin simultaneously.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 02:39 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #43
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRat
Wait, I thought the Hobgoblin was another guy who stole some of the technology off Oscorps for his own evil purposes. I think I DO remember that Harry Osborne took upon the mantle of the Green Goblin from his father. Because there were epic battles in the comics, in which Spidey took on both the Hobgoblin and the Green Goblin simultaneously.
Ok...let me explain as I'm an ardent Spidey fan.

Ok...Green Goblin actually had THREE incarnations. Number 1 was Norman Osborn (as in the first film) who killed Gwen Stacey (PP's girlfriend before Mary Jane). Number 2 is Harry. This may spoil the future film...but Harry dies as the GG, ironically, saving Parker's life. The final incarnation is Harry's psychiatrist...who also dies...GG is bad luck for whoever takes on the mantle, it seems.

Hobgoblin had 2 incarnations. Number 1 was a Daily Bugle reporter called Ned Leeds (not sure if you guys have come across him) who comes across the GG equipment and modifies it, becoming the Hobgoblin (so I'm unsure how they worked the dual fighting, but I'm sure you remember it DR...I don't recall that myself...Hobgoblin and others, and GG and others, but I don't recall ever seeing the two together). No surprise...he died. Incarnation 2 was a villain formerly known as Jack O Lantern who takes on the HG mantle...oddly enough he's the only one of the entire lot to still be alive.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 03:31 AM   Senior Registered Member #44
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Thanks for blowing the ending Hazzle!
Kidding,
I remember the old Spidey cartoons, takes me back. That cartoon and X-Men were like my Jesus. Good stuff.
Old 18-07-2004, 05:12 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #45
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Ok...my review.

This was easily the best comic book adaptation ever, as it captured the spirit both of comics generally, and of Spiderman more specifically. As such is JUST gets past Burton's Batman films.

On the positives, the action sequences were crisper, sharper, and just seemed more polished and less rushed. They were also spaced out nicely, with good use of humour and character development all woven together by a good strong plot. The plot, character development and action were all better than the original.

On the negative side, there was a fair bit of cliche. But I ask you, is that a negative for comic book films? Surely, since comic books are laden with cliche, it's actually entirely fitting for there to be cliche in such a film? If anything, I felt the X-men films lacked enough cliche to make them feel like comic book films. I used to collect X-men comics and Spidey ones, and the Spiderman films fulfilled my expectations so much more. The cliches also fit well with the idea that Spiderman is a hero of the PEOPLE, unlike other superheros like Superman who're perceived more as "guardians" than "one of the people". That's where the crowdsurfing scene was so well done, as it captured the heart and soul of Spiderman.

The acting wasn't mind blowing, but it wasn't terrible either, and basically it delivered what it had to. Harry Osbourne was played superbly, and Tobey Maguire was much better in this film, really capturing Peter's inner struggle. Kirsten Dunst was, sadly, Kirsten Dunst...it's a shame she can't recapture her child star days. Doc Oc could've been better, but was all in all not bad...

The ending was a tad odd, by cutting back to Mary Jane like that (won't say any more for those who haven't seen it)...but that's a minor gripe.

All in all, 9.5 or 10 out of 10...and certainly the best comic book adaptation I've seen (better than Superman films, Batman films, Daredevil, X-men films, The Hulk...). Of course I suspect Kevin Smith's Green Hornet will be the very best ever, when it's done.
Old 18-07-2004, 06:13 AM   Senior Registered Member #46
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Hm... I watched the first one, but must've missed a lot. Didn't figure out there was a hobgoblin. Anyway, that kid, what's his name... Harry? It was pretty obvious he would take the Green Goblin mantle from the 2nd movie ending after discovering all that junk in the lair. Cutting back to MJ was good, I like happy endings :P

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 07:51 AM   #47
Pinkfairy

*spoiler*

I'll tell why I Spider-man 2 wasn't as good in my opinion: it was exactly like the first movie. Exactly like the first one (rescuing kids on the street, building on fire, women hanging from high places...and more). I loved the first one, but I expected something different for the second one. It was good, but it just wasn't different. Sure, it had its cheesy humor which like Hazzle said is ok for a movie based on a comic, but *spoiler* the way Spider-man convinced Doc Oc to do the right thing was too much. And I agree with Spire on this: peter Parker can't help himself, and he wants to help the world cause he's responsible!?!.They even stole the ''depth'' from the first movie (the bit where he feels guilty for uncle ben's death again). The acting wasn't bad considering the job didn't demand much of the actors. It was Harry, that James guy (editor of the paper) and Mr. Aziz who left the biggest impression on me. I'm not saying it completely sucked because it was good, but it's exactly like the first one.
Pinkfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #48
Kyle_West

James Franco did do a good job. But Willem Dafoe's 7 seconds on the screen......he was the best in the movie. I am not kidding. He is such a great actor.
Old 18-07-2004, 11:25 AM   Senior Registered Member #49
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_West
James Franco did do a good job. But Willem Dafoe's 7 seconds on the screen......he was the best in the movie. I am not kidding. He is such a great actor.
He was the best in the movie because you think he's a great actor or the actual stuff he did? I mean all he said was something about revenging him, and I'm your father!. Didn't seem much tougher than... say... that pizza dude at the start?

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 18-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #50
alby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_West
He looked quite scary when he dressed up as a woman in Boondock Saints (forgive the spelling).
Old 18-07-2004, 02:03 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #51
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfairy
I'll tell why I Spider-man 2 wasn't as good in my opinion: it was exactly like the first movie. Exactly like the first one (rescuing kids on the street, building on fire, women hanging from high places...and more). I loved the first one, but I expected something different for the second one. It was good, but it just wasn't different.
Why? It's simply continuing the plot...and it was BETTER. Where the first was rushed and looked it, the second half looking like it was edited by a blind monk, the second film was perfectly paced. All that rescuing stuff is err...what comics are about?!?!

Quote:
Sure, it had its cheesy humor which like Hazzle said is ok for a movie based on a comic, but *spoiler* the way Spider-man convinced Doc Oc to do the right thing was too much.
Clearly someone doesn't know much about Doc Oc...Doc Oc was always a good guy in the comics who was just sent mad by his wife dying...love can do that to you...but he was never an evil man, nor was he really mad in the same way as GG...Oc does the right thing a LOT in the comics...a fair few times he spared Spidey's life when he could've killed him.

Quote:
And I agree with Spire on this: peter Parker can't help himself, and he wants to help the world cause he's responsible!?!.They even stole the ''depth'' from the first movie (the bit where he feels guilty for uncle ben's death again).
Err...do you read Spiderman comics? That's the ENTIRE premise of the entire comic series...wtf do you want them to do, decimate the comic to make a better movie? If they'd done that I'd have been sick...as it was I was amazed...best film I've seen in years...yes...better than POTC by a decent way. Humour wasn't as good as POTC, but the plot was so much better, and the depth to character...sooo good.

Quote:
The acting wasn't bad considering the job didn't demand much of the actors. It was Harry, that James guy (editor of the paper) and Mr. Aziz who left the biggest impression on me. I'm not saying it completely sucked because it was good, but it's exactly like the first one.
Err...based on the same comic methinks? It was a continuation of the plot...and actually it improved on the biggest flaws in the first...where that got 7.5 or 8 out of 10, this got 9.5 or 10/10...and I VERY rarely give anything 10/10...
Old 18-07-2004, 04:48 PM   Senior Registered Member #52
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Just to piss Hazzle off, here's my short and sweet review of Spidey 2:
"Crap,
crap,
mega crap."

J. Jameson couldn't say it better.

j/k it was a decent movie. 8.5/10 for me

Last edited by frodo1511; 19-07-2004 at 02:09 AM.
frodo1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 01:24 AM   #53
ChocolateMoose

I haven't seen Spiderman 2 yet, but have heard so many opinions on it, which vary from "it was amazing" to "don't waste your money"...people say its just like the first one as well. And I saw the first one too many times and it really started to annoy me, mainly because of Tobey Maguires voice but I want to see something different when I see the sequel, not just a repeat...should I go? What are your opinions....

READ my reviews of films, theatre and concerts!
VOTE in the poll - Who has the most influence on which films you see at the cinema?
INVENT a caption - This months picture comes from Equilibrium!
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 07:20 AM   #54
Pinkfairy

I'm not saying it was bad. It was good, I just expected something a bit different. Maybe a bit more creativity when it comes to the villain's freak accidents. Sure, the comics allow a lot of things, and I know that in Spider-man something always goes wrong, but maybe they should have been more careful, considering theather is a different media, and the audiences are tougher. I just think they stuck to first movie's formula. I do realize though that Sam Raimi is a good director (I watched the evil dead movie) and he really did a good job. And I probably won't be dissapointed with the third movie cause now I know what to expect having watched the second one.
Pinkfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 07:54 PM   #55
jadie

i thought it was fine, but I HATED mary jane in this one. she gets so frickin annoying! I cant stand her. She's pushy! "do you love me?" "do you love me?" "dont disappoint me peter" blah blah blah la la la i just wanted her to shut up. Thats just my opinion.
Old 19-07-2004, 10:34 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #56
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadie
i thought it was fine, but I HATED mary jane in this one. she gets so frickin annoying! I cant stand her. She's pushy! "do you love me?" "do you love me?" "dont disappoint me peter" blah blah blah la la la i just wanted her to shut up. Thats just my opinion.
Well, if the person that I truly loved was being an evasive, and whiny, I would probably be a bit pushy about it too. And considering the way and things that Peter Parker says to her, I think its entirely justified.
Old 20-07-2004, 01:23 AM   #57
KittyPunk

I have no clue what they are thinkin. Spiderman 2 is cool except i have to agree with jadie the mj is very annoying till the end.
Old 20-07-2004, 01:30 AM   #58
narya

I actuallu kinda liked it...probably cause i was with my best friend who i like to see movies and make fun of them with.
It got sooooo cheesy about halfway through. I am an Alfred Molina fan, though. Yay for old british men! How hott were those man tits?

You know whats funny, I haven't even seen the first one yet.

*26th Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!*
narya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 01:34 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #59
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
Well, if the person that I truly loved was being an evasive, and whiny, I would probably be a bit pushy about it too. And considering the way and things that Peter Parker says to her, I think its entirely justified.
Cliff gets a cookie for actually GETTING that...sheesh...every criticism of the filmwould be better understood if people tried to envision the characters as human beings...that's the beauty of the comics, and the beauty of the film...PP is a normal guy with normal feelings, MJ is a normal girl who doesn't know why the man she loves is being so distant one minute and then so on the next and then distant again. I think, as Cliff said, her reaction was natural.
Old 20-07-2004, 06:52 AM   Senior Registered Member #60
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
PP is a normal guy with normal feelings
Yes, and that's until Peter Parker turns into Spiderman, which only the audience and PP knows. I think that's the "annoying" thing about MJ, since you already know why PP is always trying to shrug off MJ, while MJ doesn't know why she's left out when PP shows all the signs of liking her.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp