To Seventhson - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:02 AM   #1
NearokA

To Seventhson

Hey man, stop signing off of aim so quickly. I'm sorry that I wasn't avalible and all that, but I was just finishing up Phaedo by Plato. They talk about the exisitence of the soul. This takes place just before Socrates died. I admit, I cried man.

I had read lots of Greek philosophy by Aristrotle and Socrates and Plato. But never had I read about his death. I felt as though I was in the same room as when he took the posion. He was the dearest of my teachers and taught me that through reason, we can find truth and that truth must be pursued, even if it means misery. I guess his death never really took hold on me until I actually read about it. Socrates goes down like a man. He says he's not afraid to die and drinks the poison with the confidence that his after life will be much sweeter. He even goes as far as to say to Crito (his friend) to pay a cock to Asclepius. Even in his death, he still thinks of the debts he owes!

The ancients believed that life was full of sorrow an that death was the only release. One should not fear to die. I admire his bravery. I hope one day that I can gain just an ounce of his incredible wisdom and his invinciblity.

I'm very sorry. Please don't be discouraged. I encourage you to stay on AOL instant messenger for a few hours after you message me. Usually I'm busy with something and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

What do you guys think about the soul and what are the grounds of your belief? Do you guys distinguish between spirit and soul?
two of a kind but one won't survive,
my images reflect in the enemies eye,
and his images reflect in mine the same time,
--Mos Def
Old 02-10-2004, 06:13 AM   Officer #2
Mags
Officer

Keep the person-to-person stuff in PMs people. There's no use for the bulk of that message on the general forums.

I'm not sure what I believe about souls. I just believe in remaining on topic.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:19 AM   #3
NearokA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Keep the person-to-person stuff in PMs people. There's no use for the bulk of that message on the general forums.

I'm not sure what I believe about souls. I just believe in remaining on topic.
The bulk of it? lol. The bulk of it was Socrates, Plato, and the soul. I only a few short paragraphs about seventhson. hehe.

So Mags, what you're trying to tell me is, that you don't have any idea, you don't even have a clue about the soul? I've met people on both sides of the issue, but you're the first who has no opinion. I would like to direct you to read some more about how philosophers argue about the mind, body, and soul so you can gain some groundings.

The soul and existence after death is a very serious issue. For you to be completely unopiniated troubles me. O and as a side subject, you didn't post your pictures somewhere did you? I don't remember how your face looks.
--Mos Def
Old 02-10-2004, 06:39 AM   Officer #4
Mags
Officer

Right, not sure how the way I look has anything to do with my opinions, but currently, I don't have any good pictures to post. I was in the old yearbook, but that has gone by the wayside.

As for my not having an opinion, I don't really care if it concerns you or not. I generally don't concern myself with the issue of the existence or lack thereof regarding someone's soul. It's not something that has a great effect on the way I live my life. I think a soul can be defined in different ways, and so my beliefs for or against may vary slightly according to those ways. Basically though, at this point, it doesn't really matter. How I feel about whether I have a soul isn't going to make me pass my classes or get my tuition payments made on time, or decide whether I have a good time out with my friends. It has very little bearing on my everyday life, so I choose not to devote much time to reflection upon it.

And as for the bulk of your message, if you're going to start philosophical, long-winded threads, start them because they need starting, don't hide behind a desire to have your thread accepted because you had something to say to one specific member.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:49 AM   #5
NearokA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Right, not sure how the way I look has anything to do with my opinions, but currently, I don't have any good pictures to post. I was in the old yearbook, but that has gone by the wayside.

As for my not having an opinion, I don't really care if it concerns you or not. I generally don't concern myself with the issue of the existence or lack thereof regarding someone's soul. It's not something that has a great effect on the way I live my life. I think a soul can be defined in different ways, and so my beliefs for or against may vary slightly according to those ways. Basically though, at this point, it doesn't really matter. How I feel about whether I have a soul isn't going to make me pass my classes or get my tuition payments made on time, or decide whether I have a good time out with my friends. It has very little bearing on my everyday life, so I choose not to devote much time to reflection upon it.

And as for the bulk of your message, if you're going to start philosophical, long-winded threads, start them because they need starting, don't hide behind a desire to have your thread accepted because you had something to say to one specific member.
RIght Mags. I kinda drunk, so you know my thoughts are random here and there. Sorry. As for your classes, understandable. But knowing about the soul will help you to become invincible. And invinciblity is well worth the cost of mere tuition. Confidence and the soul give a person a kind of invinciblity. The mind is greater that the physical body and if in your mind you believe to be invincible, you are invincible.
--Mos Def
Old 02-10-2004, 06:54 AM   Officer #6
Mags
Officer

Bollocks.

I'm sure my soul will come in really helpfully when I don't have a job because I spent my tuition money trying to find my soul in the first place and thus couldn't get a college degree.

Everyone's thoughts on the existence or non-existence of a soul is his or her own. I don't feel like anything is lacking in my life because I don't believe the way you do Nearoka...quite the opposite really.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
NearokA

Whoever said I believed in the soul? hehe.
Invincibilty Mags. Priceless.
--Mos Def
Old 02-10-2004, 09:40 AM   Senior Registered Member #8
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Soul? I only believe in my brain, heart and lungs.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 02-10-2004, 12:23 PM   Senior Registered Member #9
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Woot, yet another extremely long boring post from NearokA that i wont read.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:22 PM   Senior Registered Member #10
frodo1511
Pin Dick

WHEN WILL IT END?!

I don't believe in a soul, I believe in the Force. :fencing:
Old 02-10-2004, 02:04 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
Spire
InSpire Me

Do you ever shut up? That's the real question.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:03 PM   #12
Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narg
Woot, yet another extremely long boring post from NearokA that i wont read.
lmao.
"You know that with-holding evidence from a federal officer is a serious crime. Especially when that officer has paid handsomely for that evidence, and wouldn't think twice of ripping that patch off your eyehole and skull fucking you to death."
Old 02-10-2004, 04:06 PM   Senior Registered Member #13
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

There goes part of my life that I will never get back.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:33 PM   Senior Registered Member #14
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC
There goes part of my life that I will never get back.

Too True.

Someone owes me the last 5 minutes of my life back after reading the opening post.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:34 PM   Officer #15
Renegade
Stock Boy

Stick to topic people...whatever topic it may be.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:01 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #16
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
...whatever topic it may be.
I think it's along the lines of "Shut up, Nearoka."
Old 02-10-2004, 06:13 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #17
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

A lesson in brevity for Nearoka:

Locked.
Closed Thread