Vanilla Sky & Fight Club - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 26-09-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
Boyscout
Newcomer

Vanilla Sky & Fight Club

They're the most confusing movies I have ever seen. Though I was consentrating on all the dialogues in Vanilla Sky, I still couldn't understand which part was reality and which wasn't! After all, I was really confused
And Fight Club is a bit better-----I could understand its dialogues. But the whole story is a mystery, I mean what the hell was happening in the movie And what did the director want to tell people?
Is there anyone knowing these two films well? Give me some clues,please?
Old 26-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
MeggieHoops
Will Flash for Cash

I walked out of the theater on Vanilla Sky. It blew so bad I couldn't even sit through it.

And I didn't finish watching Fight Club because I was super confused and kind of grossed out by all the violence.
Old 26-09-2004, 01:51 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #3
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieHoops
I walked out of the theater on Vanilla Sky. It blew so bad I couldn't even sit through it.

And I didn't finish watching Fight Club because I was super confused and kind of grossed out by all the violence.
The violence?? Your fav film is Deer Hunter :P Talk about double standards...
Old 26-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
MeggieHoops
Will Flash for Cash

The violence in Fight Club just didn't seem...relevant? I mean, yes, it was relevent to the story...but at least half of it wasn't necessary. Plus, my interest in guys kicking the crap out of each other like that is REALLY not that big. And The Deerhunter really isn't even that violent, anyways, comparred to other war movies.
Old 26-09-2004, 02:33 PM   Senior Registered Member #5
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieHoops
Wow, is this a joke? Vanilla Sky was one of the best movies I've ever seen.

SPOILER:
In Vanilla Sky, the part where Tom Cruise passes out in the street after the whole club incident is when he chooses to make his fantasy life begin. In his real life he goes into a depression and kills himself, but they start his fantasy life from the part where Penelope wakes him up in the street. Later on in the movie his fantasy becomes a nightmare and he decideds he wants to call off the whole thing.

I fuckin' loved that movie. Especially the part with the Bob Dylan cover. If you only watched it once, it might be hard to understand. They did kind of explain everything in the movie, though. I didn't have too much trouble understanding it.
Old 26-09-2004, 02:55 PM   Senior Registered Member #6
frodo1511
Pin Dick

yeah, I've heard good things from Vanilla Sky, but haven't seen it yet.
As for Fight Club, it just didn't impress me enough to like it.
Old 26-09-2004, 03:05 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
Elijahfan

fight club was awesome, if you want to understand it better, or any movie for that matter it's best to get see it with director or actor commentary. the fight club special edition has it.

as for vanilla sky, saw about half the film, not a big fan of cameron diaz or tom cruise, but i didn't like it. i hate movies where it ends up being a dream or fantasy, then it's just a way to get out of the situation, i mean, then you can explain anything that way, i think it makes the movie dumb.

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 03:12 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

OMGWTFISWRONGWITHYOUPEOPLE?!?!?!!?!?!

Where's Cale R. when you need him? Vanilla Sky is genius. If you disagree, I hate you. I want to see the Sapnish film it's made after. Black Rider, I'm guessing you've seen the Spanish one. Is it good?
Old 26-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #9
The Black Rider

Actually, I haven't seen the original, but I've been meaning to.

Fight Club: Extremely overrated. Two hours of sheer negativity and narcissism with very little to say that is of any interest or value to anyone. "Life sucks, so let's beat each other up to relieve our stress." Wow, how deep. Edward Norton's performance and the music were the only good things about it. One of the most pretentious movies ever made.

Vanilla Sky: I'm in the middle on this one. There were a lot of things I liked about it, but there were a lot of things I didn't like about it. I think Cameron Crowe tried too hard to make a "dream within a dream" picture, so the result is maddeningly uneven. Not a terrible film, but nothing too special either (although that Times Square scene was awesome).
Old 26-09-2004, 04:40 PM   Senior Registered Member #10
Ardnax
Sexy kitten

I hated both films. Vanilla sky I understanded but Fight club, yuck. I hated them.
Ardnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 05:04 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
Spire
InSpire Me

Fight Club was great! I wasn't looking for a deep film, I just love the dark humor, it's fantastic. The Dust Brothers soundtrack is great as well, it's just a kick-ass movie. It wasn't too hard to understand, just fun, dark movie.
Old 26-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
The Black Rider

True, but a lot of people take it too seriously. If you just like it for the superficial side, that's okay.
Old 26-09-2004, 05:24 PM   Senior Registered Member #13
Spire
InSpire Me

I laughed pretty hard when I saw those replacement airplane emergency phamplets they were putting in the seats. Lots of great laughs, some interesting fight scenes, and how can you not love the ending?
Old 26-09-2004, 05:51 PM   Senior Registered Member #14
Richard
Dated

I haven't seen Vanilla Sky. As for Fight Club, I liked it. The ending was nice, but there wasn't anything special about it, or the movie.

I'd agree that it's over-rated.
Old 26-09-2004, 06:03 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
Elijahfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I haven't seen Vanilla Sky. As for Fight Club, I liked it. The ending was nice, but there wasn't anything special about it, or the movie.

I'd agree that it's over-rated.
yes it is overrated, but great. some people take it too seriously, like really seriously... which is kinda sad.

vanilla sky: i'd like to see the spanish version, but still...the whole 'live your life thing' was just so stupid. what kind character puts himself in the fantasy/dream thing, i think that person has some serious problems and needs to be slapped if he cant deal with life. at least edward norton's character makes his funny and interesting even if he can't really deal with it all.

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 10:24 PM   Officer #16
mufiman
Officer

Quote:
But the whole story is a mystery, I mean what the hell was happening in the movie
it takes a couple of viewings to understand the movie. fight club has many anti-materialism messages, and a lot of Tyler durden's philosophy relates to this. there are many other messages and themes threaded throughout this movie. can we be so caught up in what the popular thing is that we cannot truly think logically and critically about what we are doing? the movie isnt for everyone and yes, a tad overrated.

Quote:
"Life sucks, so let's beat each other up to relieve our stress." Wow, how deep.
I do not think any of the violence in this film was overdone. it's not even about the fight clubs themselves. my main pleasure with this film was the interaction between Brad Pitt and Ed Norton as the two leads. their relationship on-screen is visceral and exciting. norton is top-notch as usual, and he gives one of my favorite narrations ever, dropping tons of hints at the film's astounding twist ending, that you'll likely pick up second or third time through.
vanilla sky was good, its another one of those movies that gets better watching it a second time.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 10:37 PM   Senior Registered Member #17
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufiman
it takes a couple of viewings to understand the movie. fight club has many anti-materialism messages, and a lot of Tyler durden's philosophy relates to this. there are many other messages and themes threaded throughout this movie. can we be so caught up in what the popular thing is that we cannot truly think logically and critically about what we are doing? the movie isnt for everyone and yes, a tad overrated.

I do not think any of the violence in this film was overdone. it's not even about the fight clubs themselves. my main pleasure with this film was the interaction between Brad Pitt and Ed Norton as the two leads. their relationship on-screen is visceral and exciting. norton is top-notch as usual, and he gives one of my favorite narrations ever, dropping tons of hints at the film's astounding twist ending, that you'll likely pick up second or third time through.
vanilla sky was good, its another one of those movies that gets better watching it a second time.

Finally somebody who understands the movie.
Old 27-09-2004, 12:30 AM   #18
The Black Rider

So? Anyone could tell you that in less than thirty seconds.

I respect your opinion, I really do, but I still think it's a stupid movie (as enjoyable as it is).
Old 27-09-2004, 01:58 AM   Senior Registered Member #19
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlyn

i think ive seen Fight Club, is that the one with the irish (or something similar) accents that are difficult to understand? if so, ive seen it but i wasnt impressed. i got bored with it but i think thats becuase i couldnt understand what they were saying.
Are you thinking of "Snatch"? I don't remember Irish accents in Fight Club..
Old 27-09-2004, 04:42 AM   Senior Registered Member #20
Spire
InSpire Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlyn
hahah yes probably
they both have brad pitt right? im confused now.. i dont know what ive seen
Snatch - Brad Pitt plays a gypsy boxer intangled in a hilarious plot to recover a stolen diamond. A Guy Ritchie movie, very much entangled in the british crime underworld.

Fight Club - Edward Norton plays a man stuck in the rut of coporate life, finally meeting a cynical Tyler Durdan, played by Brad Pitt. They organize an undergound mens boxing club, which eventually turns into an all-out miltia.