The Hole - Page 5 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 28-10-2004, 10:27 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #81
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I liked it.
Just so there's no confusion over the rest of this post, I'll repeat: So did I.

Quote:
But just for the record, it's a rather easy film to follow - if one can get passed the accents. I never thought the movie was scary, but I did think it was original.
And I agree with the first part of that, it's very easy to follow. It also wasn't scary, but did you really think it was original? I thought it was riddled with cliche, and whilst the concept of "The Hole", as in the bunker, was a nice concept, and had huge potential, I felt the film suffered from an abundance of tacky cliches (the popular good looking girl who just HAD to have an eating disorder serves as just one example) and actually wasted a great chance to make a truly good British film.

Incidentally, for my money, best British Thriller of recent years has to be 28 Days Later...but that's slightly off topic
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 07:44 PM   Knightley News #82
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

As I have some bandwidth spare this month while my clips are offline I've put up THAT scene from The Hole, for those who haven't seen it (or even for those who have ).
This is the full scene, 8.3Mb:
http://www.keiraweb.com/hole11.wmv

Paul
Old 03-11-2004, 06:20 AM   Officer #83
EmotionSickness
Cutie

Okay, I just shelled out $25 for this movie. I feel like such a dolt. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the film for what it was -- a simple, pseudo-creepy, teenage thriller -- but it was such an impulse buy, I swear. It's a brand-new release, so of course they're going to jack up the price to a quite unreasonable level. And of course Keira is being used as the main marketing tool (Nick Hamm "the director of Godsend!", too). As you all probably know, she is the focal point of the DVD cover and gets second billing this time around (she even gets her own review quote on the cover: "Keira Knightley ... Gets More Than A Few Pulses Racing!").

Anyway, like I said, I enjoyed the film. I admit, I found myself having to use the subtitles at certain points because some of the dialogue was virtually inaudible and it was kind of difficult for me to get past "Geoff"'s accent, on occasion. Overall, an entertaining movie, I'd say. I think I'd give it 2.5 out of 4.

Ohh, and Desmond Harrington is fucking gorgeous, isn't he? *swoon*
Old 03-11-2004, 02:13 PM   First Class Member Officer #84
Sarah
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionSickness

I found myself having to use the subtitles at certain points because some of the dialogue was virtually inaudible and it was kind of difficult for me to get past "Geoff"'s accent, on occasion.

For me, Geoff was the easiest to understand, lol. I guess it just shows the differences in speech really.

I hated the accent that Thora Birch put on. It just seem really fake to me.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:35 PM   Senior Registered Member #85
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionSickness
Ohh, and Desmond Harrington is fucking gorgeous, isn't he? *swoon*
He is. The only person I considered acceptable to watch in Ghost Ship. I'm not gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
I hated the accent that Thora Birch put on. It just seem really fake to me.
Thora's character was the hardest to understand, for me that is. Geoff followed second.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:19 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #86
Foeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino
she must have had loads of guts to pose nude in a movie, once in my Drama group production a girl had to go on stage topless but no one saw anything cos she wasn't facing the stage. but that was nerve racking for her.
It's not a nude scene. She shows her breast for like 2-3 seconds.
That said, I agree with you. She is only 16 years old, and that's quite young to do a scene like that, I think. Especially when they are not bigger than they are. Most people feels kinda like nice breast = big breasts. So she must have had guts, yes.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:04 AM   #87
LoveKeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
^^^^^ What she said.

Lovekeria. I didn't state an opinion, I objectively critiqued the film. I even SAID I liked the film. Thus you DO have the same opinion as to its enjoyability. My critique wasn't an opinion, it was an objective judgement of its quality. If you sat down and objective critiqued it, the camerawork, the plot, the lighting etc...and you think it was a great film (as in a well MADE film) then that's fair enough, but stating you liked it does NOT make it a good film. I liked it, I still accept it was a really badly made film.
And people can also have different points of view on critique, i thought it was a good quality movie. Ha. so there. Not reall, im just arguing. I did think it was a good quality film though, mainly because i fall in love with anything that is brittish...force of habbit.

EDIT:

[quote=Richard]He is. The only person I considered acceptable to watch in Ghost Ship. I'm not gay.

-- Isn't it annoying that he should have to itterate that he isn't gay...just my two cents.
AKA LoveKeria
LoveKeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:13 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #88
Leonie
Elle

[quote=LoveKeria]EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
He is. The only person I considered acceptable to watch in Ghost Ship. I'm not gay.

-- Isn't it annoying that he should have to itterate that he isn't gay...just my two cents.
Yes, it's terrible.
You'll find that we're actually really tolerant here, we love everyone, whether they're gay, straight or somewhere in between. Don't argue for the sake of it unless your Haz

As for The Hole - I don't think we're ever going to agree Ah well, at least everyone enjoyed it. I bought the DVD a little while ago, for something like 6 euros. Right after I'd found BILB for 9 euros. That was a very fruitful Keira day
Old 04-11-2004, 08:45 AM   #89
LoveKeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie
Yes, it's terrible.
You'll find that we're actually really tolerant here, we love everyone, whether they're gay, straight or somewhere in between. Don't argue for the sake of it unless your Haz

As for The Hole - I don't think we're ever going to agree Ah well, at least everyone enjoyed it. I bought the DVD a little while ago, for something like 6 euros. Right after I'd found BILB for 9 euros. That was a very fruitful Keira day
Well, here is a different story, I'm Bi and i still get shit from the people who call themselves 'my friends'. Eh, its so stupid. I argue, all the time. I love arguing.

-- Yup...not going to agree on the hole. Thats awesome...i found it for eight dollars i think...i might go back and get it. Not sure yet, i have it on video but i want it on dvd.
AKA LoveKeria
Old 04-11-2004, 08:39 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #90
Foeni

You just have to ignore them when they talk shit to you. You are different from the majority. Therefor you will always be judged another way than straight people is. Not that it's wrong being Bi, I'm perfectly fine with it, but it's different..
Old 04-11-2004, 09:13 PM   Senior Registered Member #91
Richard
Dated

Quote:
You guys toke that shit way too seriously. I was merely joking. If I was gay, I'd say it.

I commonly input that whenever I say another guy is attractive. I know it's not needed, but I do it anyway. Old habits die hard. It was a little childish and immature, and for that I apologize if I offended anybody.

Last edited by Richard; 04-11-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:22 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #92
Leonie
Elle

I have a brilliant idea. Granted, it doesn't happen very often, but this one's a winner:

Let's start talking about The Hole again eh?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:41 PM   #93
AureaMediocritas

It might be slightly stupid and rather not interesting to ask , but what exactly
was "the Hole" ? If I got it right , in the film it was said to be some kind of
WW II air raid shelter (if this turns out to be correct , I know what to visit
next when in Britain ).
Old 04-11-2004, 09:44 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #94
Leonie
Elle

It was the escape hatch for the bomb shelter a bit further down the road. Something along the lines of that. If you're going to visit it, you now know what not to do Who says Keira films have no educational value?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:52 PM   #95
AureaMediocritas

Thanks a lot ...
Yes , I should probably stay out in case the ladder has not been fixed
adequately yet ( not to mention FrancisĀ“ bolemic ghost hauting the place :icon_err: )
Old 05-11-2004, 01:21 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #96
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Hey...I don't argue for the sake of it...

Oh who am I kidding?

The Hole...it's better than a lot of the plastic American teen thrillers which are largely trash. However it's still poor. Generally Teen Thrillers are. It COULD have been a good film had Nick Hamm managed to get across the social critique the film was supposed to be about.

Y'see "The Hole" itself was supposed to be a metaphor for teenage isolation. But I don't think that came across so much as, for example, Danny Boyle's critique of, at least this is how I understood it, but of the dog-eat-dog society we live in, possibly even capitalism itself, which is of course the root cause of that "dog-eat-dog" mentality. I mean that's what I saw in Mark's image of climbing on top of people at the train station (God it escapes me right now which train station, but it was one of the major London ones ). Incidentally...if you're a fan of British films...that for me is one of our best in many years...fucking awesome.

The Hole...meh...compared to some of the stuff we put out...it's crap. Not a fan of Hamm's work myself...but that may just be me. Now Boyle...I like his work...a lot.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:11 AM   #97
LoveKeria

If The Hole was still crap but better than American trash then it kinda degrades alot of movies. Anyway...i argue for the sake of it...it's fun.
AKA LoveKeria
Old 07-11-2004, 03:37 AM   #98
bob

well, there are actually a LOT of crap movies out there. movies which my video store tends to stock up on instead of classics or good 90s films. WHY? because my local video store is staffed by IDIOTS.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:36 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #99
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
well, there are actually a LOT of crap movies out there. movies which my video store tends to stock up on instead of classics or good 90s films. WHY? because my local video store is staffed by IDIOTS.
The girl speaks sense. There are a LOT of crap movies out there...I'm a very harsh critic.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 AM   Senior Registered Member #100
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Ok, I was flipping through channels late this evening, and what was playing on Encore?

The Hole. I wanted to see this movie for quite some time. I believe Encore aired the updated version, since the picture was much crisper and lighter then screens I've seen online, but it may just be me.
Now, this was an above-par movie. Nothing spectacular, but it didn't suck. Performances were what I expected from teenagers, and it took me a while to remember Thora Birch from Hocus Pocus :icon_redf . Anyways, Keira's performance was neat, seeing her as a semi-dominatrix(the locker room scene comes to mind). Anyway, what everyone does to one another inside the bunker was rather disturbing. Paranoia must set in really quick over in England(I'd probably be the same way, but to a lesser degree.
Overall, a nice break from all the teen movies of America(although Wedding Crashers kicked so much ass). 8/10