Are you a nerd? - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 29-06-2004, 05:40 PM   Senior Registered Member #21
Elijahfan

i dont think i'm a nerd but some people would catagorize me as one because i get straight As and don't go to parties or anything. grades arent hard for me and i do my homework last minute. my parents dont allow me to go anywhere...so basically i just sit at home watching tv. i think of my self as more of a recluse

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 07:03 PM   Officer #22
Renegade
Stock Boy

When it came to academics, I was definitely a nerd back in the day (mainly elementary and junior high). I got Honor Roll every year and only received one "C". Well now that I'm in highschool, C's are a regular for me.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 10:27 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #23
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
Define "nerd".
Well...to be fair...the only accurate definition is "Nerd=Hazzle" and since there is only one of me...none of you are the highest echelon of Nerdness...but you can all aspire to be just like me (scary thought, isn't it? ).

Seriously...on the appearance front...check...just ask Cliff. On the trivial knowledge front...check...just see my obsession with football . Pretty much anything else...check
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 10:37 PM   Senior Registered Member #24
gracie
Goddess

nope intelligent but lacking in common sense. getting more idiotic as time goes on. not a nerd

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 10:56 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #25
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie
nope intelligent but lacking in common sense. getting more idiotic as time goes on. not a nerd
Meh...who said common sense had anything to do with it? That's a social skill...nerds are supposed to LACK social etiquette, remember? Ahh...yet another thing to check off the list
Old 30-06-2004, 12:20 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #26
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Meh...who said common sense had anything to do with it? That's a social skill...nerds are supposed to LACK social etiquette, remember? Ahh...yet another thing to check off the list
Comedy is perhaps something you should check off too.

I think you've got the definition wrong Haz, theres a distinct difference between a geek, and a nerd.
Old 30-06-2004, 02:00 AM   Senior Registered Member #27
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess
Seriously I think this is one of the funniest things I've seen all week Does it remind you of anyone?
The school where that was filmed (obviously, it was a joke) is literally minutes away from my home. I may have seen that girl before. If I do see her I'll make sure to hit her with a book.
Old 30-06-2004, 09:16 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #28
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
Comedy is perhaps something you should check off too.
Really? I thought I wasn't being very funny...so surely comedy would NOT be something to check off? Seeing as with a checklist you check off stuff that IS present? Or at least following the way I was doing it that's the case...I'm disappointed at your reading and comprehension skills, chief...didn't they teach that at your school?

Quote:
I think you've got the definition wrong Haz, theres a distinct difference between a geek, and a nerd.
Really? Actually you'll find the difference is far from "distinct" and they almost mean the exact same thing, however people choose to use them. A nerd is someone who lacks social skills or is boringly studious...a geek is an unfashionable or socially inept person, or one who is knowledgeable and obsessive about a specific topic.

The lack of social skills has been apparent for ages...haven't you seen the video Princess put up? The obsessive knowledge about a certain topic is also there...people mistakenly believe nerds/geeks have to be intelligent, but in fact, neither have to be...being studious/obsessive about specific topics does not make you intelligent...me being the proof of that, since I doubt anyone would class me as "intelligent" .

Are we done now?

Oh, and hitting annoying people merely shows how pathetic the person doing it is...if you have to descend to violence to make the point, the annoying one has won...I actually feel rather sorry for that girl, especially as I've been twatted round the back of the head with a book before...however the one thing few of you have seen is a pissed off Haz, and the twat who did it got a right kicking from yours truly...I don't even fight that often...so I'd suggest none of you contemplate hitting me with a book should you be so unfortunate as to meet me
Old 30-06-2004, 11:28 PM   #29
Moe

Quote:
Oh, and hitting annoying people merely shows how pathetic the person doing it is...if you have to descend to violence to make the point, the annoying one has won...
Actually, the guy who just beat you into a bloody pulp has won. "Winning", at least the way I see it, does not involve lying on the floor bleeding from several places while the other guy is walking away pretty much unharmed.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 11:36 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #30
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
Actually, the guy who just beat you into a bloody pulp has won. "Winning", at least the way I see it, does not involve lying on the floor bleeding from several places while the other guy is walking away pretty much unharmed.
Who said anything about bleeding from several places? I give as good as I get...better in fact...my point is if you instigate the violence and then get the pulp kicked out of you...who's won? Yes...thank you and goodnight...try again chief
Old 01-07-2004, 12:19 AM   Senior Registered Member #31
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Yeah, im a nerd, i sit at home on the internet most knights, playing online games, i cant sleep if there isnt a pc on in the same room as me, or a fan or somthing im so used to the sound of the fans in my pc case, i have to que up a download before i go to bed otherwise i cant sleep either.

Although i like to go out with my mates, i dont drink, smoke, or anything like that, in school i hated school work, didnt go much, got bad grades, never studied, so i guess i wasnt a nerd at school, got along with most of the people there, i like to drive cars, fast cars etc.

And i dont look like a nerd, i just like computers, and enjoy using them, i dont read books, or play d+d, wear glasses, im not fat, and not thin as a rake.

I dont care what other people really think of me tho, im out of school, im past that 'phase', im just here to have a good time, find a half decent job, get a faster car, and be obsessed with KK :P.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:59 AM   Senior Registered Member #32
Pygmalion
Pissed

I don't think I'm a nerd but I'm into some nerdy things. I read a HELL of a lot, and they're normally either history books by primary sources ie: The Histories by Herodotus or Historical Fiction like "when we were Gods a novel of Cleopatra" also I spend SO much time on the computer. I was addicted to Dink Smallwood LAST holidays and wrote a few DMODS for it-if thats not nerdy I don't know WHAT is. These holidays its been hard to tear myself from Black an White...
But I also play sport and am crap at school and stuff. I do things with my friends like getting drunk and smoking a lot, and I'm a school prefect...so though I DO nerdy things I don't think I AM a nerd...
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:57 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #33
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Really? I thought I wasn't being very funny...so surely comedy would NOT be something to check off? Seeing as with a checklist you check off stuff that IS present? Or at least following the way I was doing it that's the case...I'm disappointed at your reading and comprehension skills, chief...didn't they teach that at your school?

Really? Actually you'll find the difference is far from "distinct" and they almost mean the exact same thing, however people choose to use them. A nerd is someone who lacks social skills or is boringly studious...a geek is an unfashionable or socially inept person, or one who is knowledgeable and obsessive about a specific topic.
Firstly, don't deny that you think you're funny, however deluded that may be.
Secondly, the difference is far from distinct in your opinion. The name geek and nerd are labels put on them by people who don't think themselves are either. Or a name adopted by someone as an excuse for not being as 'cool' as someone who they perceive to be ungeeky.
I'm a computer/martial arts geek. I retain my social skills, and I haven't been called a geek/nerd for the past 2 years. I don't consider myself socially inept, but I have an enhanced knowledge and understanding of computers and martial arts. *shrugs*
Thirdly, Haz, moe was talking generally, not specifically you. And there you are criticising my reading & comprehension skills. Perhaps on that list of yours you can replace intelligence with hypocrisy. If someone descends to violence, morally the other person has one. If the violent person breaks your face, he's won in the real world. The trick is to avoid their violence in the first place. I guess thats where stunted social skills don't help.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:23 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #34
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
Firstly, don't deny that you think you're funny, however deluded that may be.
I'll do what I want, my friend...and yes...I don't think I'm funny...I just keep TRYING to be...there's a difference.

Quote:
Secondly, the difference is far from distinct in your opinion.
And my opinion is all that matters...

Quote:
I'm a computer/martial arts geek. I retain my social skills, and I haven't been called a geek/nerd for the past 2 years. I don't consider myself socially inept, but I have an enhanced knowledge and understanding of computers and martial arts. *shrugs*
If they're labels attached to you someone else, then why are you calling yourself a geek? Ahh...so you must be falling under part 2 of your analysis, namely you don't think you're as "cool" as someone else and are using "geekiness" as an excuse...I never knew you were so shallow as to try and be "cool" or excuse a lack thereof.

Quote:
Thirdly, Haz, moe was talking generally, not specifically you. And there you are criticising my reading & comprehension skills.
You'll find I was merely pointing out the fallacy in Moe's argument...he assumes the one who is attacked is the one who end up the worse off...mark my words it's not always the case. I never once said he was specifically referring to me, although quoting a passage from my message and then using the words "the guy who just beat you" is sufficiently addressed in my direction for me to respond to it using my experiences...so yet again you proved me CORRECT to mock your comprehension skills...try again mate.

Quote:
Perhaps on that list of yours you can replace intelligence with hypocrisy.
The two are not mutually exclusive...though as I pointed above YOU made a false assumption and made a tit of yourself...all I did was make a fair reply to a statement...I never presumed he was speaking directly to me, merely commenting on something I said So perhaps you can just stop telling me what to put on my list, as you've yet to show any hypocrisy my poor uneducated friend.

Quote:
If someone descends to violence, morally the other person has one. If the violent person breaks your face, he's won in the real world. The trick is to avoid their violence in the first place. I guess thats where stunted social skills don't help.
Again...yet again you misunderstand my point. If someone descends into violence, morally the other person has won. If the violent person breaks your face but ends up in a hospital bed for weeks, in the real world the other one has won. Thus, and this is my experience, it's possible to win on both fronts.

As for avoiding the violence, what's social skills got to do with it? Didn't realise social skills had to do with being a drone and conforming to what other people desire you to be...I was under the impression being yourself, however annoying that self is to idiotic fools who cannot see you for what you are (their superior) was far more important. I would say it's those who're jealous of the truly unique people (those people they cannot hope to emulate because they're all clones) who lack the social skills if they, instead of accepting their inferiority, or speaking about it (y'know..."communication"...oh wait...I forgot...your reading skills probably don't stretch to a dictionary) choose to start a fight they cannot hope to win.

Care to try again chief?
Old 02-07-2004, 02:16 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #35
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

3.14159265 :d
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #36
Moe

Quote:
You'll find I was merely pointing out the fallacy in Moe's argument...he assumes the one who is attacked is the one who end up the worse off...mark my words it's not always the case. I never once said he was specifically referring to me, although quoting a passage from my message and then using the words "the guy who just beat you" is sufficiently addressed in my direction for me to respond to it using my experiences...
Usually the nerd is not the one to walk away from such a confrontation. I did not mean to specifically adress you, I was merely trying to point out that a moral victory isn't always preferable. Of course in some cases the nerd (a term which still hasn't been defined clearly, by the way) may win a physical confrontation, but more often than not he won't.

Quote:
A nerd is a lesser geek.
Quote:
Geek's wish they were as good as nerd's, but at the end of they day, they are just second rate try-hard Nerds
What now?
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:18 PM   Senior Registered Member #37
gracie
Goddess

see i always thought of nerds as people who are smart possibly with an huge amount of prowess in one field. say star trek or lord of the rings. they have a tendency to be clever and funny. whereas geeks lack social skills and have bad hygene. perhaps intelligent or not.

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:44 PM   Senior Registered Member #38
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie
see i always thought of nerds as people who are smart possibly with an huge amount of prowess in one field. say star trek or lord of the rings. they have a tendency to be clever and funny. whereas geeks lack social skills and have bad hygene. perhaps intelligent or not.
kinda agree with gracie here.
geeks aren't cool, nerds are just really smart/ingelligent about something (or a few things).
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:30 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #39
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan
kinda agree with gracie here.
geeks aren't cool, nerds are just really smart/ingelligent about something (or a few things).
...so then you're a geek, but wheres the intelligence?
Old 02-07-2004, 07:36 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #40
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
NOW THAT IS A PHILOSOPHY I CAN GET BEHIND...I AM ALL FOR A RIGHT
KICKING...AIMED AT THE RIGHT PERSON...FOR THE RIGHT REASON ...AT
THE RIGHT MOMENT...WITH POINTED SHOES ON. STANDING OVATION TO
HAZZLE FROM PRINCESS.

ps..yes... i was shouting...lol
Don't you want to add 'in the right place' or 'worst/wrong' as you always aim for the balls, because you're all vicious bitches. Why can't you punch us in the nose, or strangle us, like a decent human being?