Did anyone see the new Jet Li movie Hero yet? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 29-08-2004, 02:31 AM   #1
DesignatedJerk

Did anyone see the new Jet Li movie Hero yet?

cause I was thinking of seeing it, yet i was hoping to get some other opinions on it.

38th member of kk pose
DesignatedJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2004, 02:42 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Yes, I saw it yesterday, and like I've been saying the whole month of August:
"HERO WILL OWN YOUR SOUL"
Old 29-08-2004, 04:25 AM   Senior Registered Member #3
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Hero = Zero

I will not spoil anything, so don't worry about seeing any plot in this post. I'm not like that bastard Kyle_West.

Hero is hackneyed and trite material. If you enjoyed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, don't expect a movie of the same quality. CT, HD set a very high bar for the genre.

Story-wise, if you can keep up, it is OK. The plot is a tad redundant, and I actually started to read the Keira article from TIME magazine during the movie. I saw the Chinese version of the movie, which was released last year. It is the same exact movie as the American one, but it doesn't have Tarantino's name all over it.

Hero is boring, people.

Go see Collateral like I am tomorrow. If you don't want to be bored, see The Village. If anything, its not boring.
Old 29-08-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
bryan

I also saw the original version a few months ago on video. It looked fantastic but I couldn't understand a thing because the dialogue was in Chinese and the subtitles were Korean. Don't know why, but basically everything they said about the story in the previews and trailers isn't true.

Go see it if you like seeing water droplets suspended in air with lots of fluttering garments and flashing swords.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2004, 04:54 AM   #5
DesignatedJerk

my friend owned the chinese DVD of this movie and i just finished watching it. and I must say without a shadow of a doubt, this is probably by far one of the greatest chinese cinema films I have ever seen. This truely pushes the limit on cinematography,fight coreography, camera shooting, and so forth and I have to say in my own personal opinion. this movie SURPASSES crouching tiger hidden dragon(which i feel is highly over rated. Ha, best martial arts movie my nuts).

and Dyce, no offence, and i respect your opinion and all. but I could not disagree with you more.

personally I feel that CT, HD is the hokey, mediocre, campy material. When my friend brought it over i was thinking "oh god not another rip off of that so called "great movie" crouching tiger" and after i watched the movie i was absolutely blown away. the fight scenes were incredible, the characters in the movie were layed out for everyone to understand, and anyone can follow the plot if they actually try and LISTEN to the story.

But I do agree that people shouldn't expect similar quality to CT, HD. They should expect BETTER from it than watching this film.

and if Crouching tiger set the bar for this chinese cinema, then I feel Hero has raised it higher.

if you want my opinion hero is far from boring and it's far from trite, I for one hope this film will get the credit it deserves. However I am very doubtful that it will, due to the fact that everyone is still ga ga over the highly overated and uber hyped up "crouching tiger". So i predict that Hero will definitly be one of those under rated sleeper hits.

38th member of kk pose
Old 29-08-2004, 04:55 AM   Senior Registered Member #6
Spire
InSpire Me

It was a good movie, not the best ever or anything.
Old 29-08-2004, 05:16 AM   #7
Jing
Newcomer

I've had it on DVD for 2 years already. Could be because I'm chinese....maybe...

Also, it wasn't the greatest movie either. Being chinese has it's advantages. Like knowing the difference between a good martial arts movie and a bad one. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a pretty bad movie. Hero was better but there are too many boring scenes that could have been cut without losing storyline.

One more thing, Quentin Tarantino had nothing to do with Hero.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2004, 07:41 AM   #8
slimgopey
Newcomer

It wasn't that exciting, then again i was never a fan of crouching tiger hidden dragon.
Old 29-08-2004, 10:41 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

I really want to see Hero (watched trailer a while ago), but I don't think it'll be coming out in Australia any time soon =\

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2004, 03:40 PM   Senior Registered Member #10
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I loved how the director molded colors onto backgrounds superbly. White robes in a desert, an entire army covered in red, and so much more. Also, the fight scenes were excellent. I loved the way Jet Li blocks hundreds of arrows with the coolest sword this side of Excalibur.
Old 30-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #11
kilyncw

brilliant flick. bottom line, see this movie or die
________
LovelyWendie
kilyncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 01:20 PM   Senior Registered Member #12
Spire
InSpire Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing
I've had it on DVD for 2 years already. Could be because I'm chinese....maybe...

Also, it wasn't the greatest movie either. Being chinese has it's advantages. Like knowing the difference between a good martial arts movie and a bad one. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a pretty bad movie. Hero was better but there are too many boring scenes that could have been cut without losing storyline.

One more thing, Quentin Tarantino had nothing to do with Hero.
Actually, QT did. He helped get the movie released in American theaters. He had nothing to do with the production or making of the film, just it's distribution.
Old 30-08-2004, 06:23 PM   Senior Registered Member #13
Richard
Dated

This movie better be good seeing it opened at number one this week at the box-office. It's already got an 8.2 rating, but then again that shouldn't matter - everyone seems to hate the people at imdb.

Besides distributing, I think a lot of people thought QT was actually involved with the film, but from what I've heard it holds up quite well without him.
Old 30-08-2004, 06:50 PM   #14
kilyncw

it was a well done flick, though shows strong resemblance to crouching tiger hidden dragon, it was expected. but it is in no way a let down. very much worth the various prices paid to see on the big screen.
________
Kitchen Measures
Old 31-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #15
DesignatedJerk

"everyone seems to hate the people at imdb."

no offence but the people at imdb have long since lost credibility, seeing as that their standards are ridiculiously(apologize for the wrong spelling) way to high and they constantly contradict them selves. so don't take to heart what the fools at IMDB say.

PS it may show a FEW similarities than CT,HD yet this movie is WAY better than crouching tiger.

Also most chinese martial arts cinema will do a lot of that stuff that CT,HD did.

38th member of kk pose
Old 31-08-2004, 02:17 PM   #16
kilyncw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedJerk

no offence but the people at imdb have long since lost credibility, seeing as that their standards are ridiculiously(apologize for the wrong spelling) way to high and they constantly contradict them selves. so don't take to heart what the fools at IMDB say.

PS it may show a FEW similarities than CT,HD yet this movie is WAY better than crouching tiger.

Also most chinese martial arts cinema will do a lot of that stuff that CT,HD did.
i agree it is better than crouching tiger hidden dragon. i enjoyed the film a lot.
________
Motorcycle tires
Old 31-08-2004, 05:45 PM   Senior Registered Member #17
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedJerk

I think you just misunderstood me, or perhaps I put it down wrong. I hate the people at imdb. A while ago I read a bunch of crap about A Clockwork Orange not being any good because it didn't have CGI... their idiots I tell you, idiots.

I'm sorry, this is off-topic. I haven't seen Hero, but I think it rocks.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:59 AM   #18
DesignatedJerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I think you just misunderstood me, or perhaps I put it down wrong. I hate the people at imdb. A while ago I read a bunch of crap about A Clockwork Orange not being any good because it didn't have CGI... their idiots I tell you, idiots.

I'm sorry, this is off-topic. I haven't seen Hero, but I think it rocks.
no argument there. I honestly think IMDB thrives on their own stupidity....what a thing to be proud of.......NOT!

38th member of kk pose
Old 01-09-2004, 09:41 PM   Senior Registered Member #19
Elijahfan

i saw this movie around 1 or 2 years ago, whatever time it can out in Asian and stuff cause my cousins had a chinese copy, we're asian, so they have a bunch of chinese movies. i thought it was really good, interesting story. i was suprised by how well it did in the U.S. i think 17 million, but then again it got great reviews.

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 08:19 PM   Senior Registered Member #20
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

I'd say it is the best movie I have seen in the past few months. I'm am gonna have to go see it again though because I walked in like 15 minutes late.