Which 'sport' should be dropped from the Olympics - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Closed Thread

Old 28-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
rabbit
Newcomer

Which 'sport' should be dropped from the Olympics

I know there are other threads about the Olympics, but i have a question open for discussion. In your view, are there any sports currently in the Olympics which should be dropped? Maybe its not really a sport, not enough participating countries, too commercial, not really skill etc etc.

Should any new sports be added into the Olympics etc? Any views???
Old 28-08-2004, 08:27 PM   Senior Registered Member #2
Richard
Dated

Synchronized swimming, that's boring shit.

And maybe Volleyball. Like golf, fun to play... can't stand to watch it.

What sport should be added: Fishing & Jousting.
Old 28-08-2004, 08:42 PM   Senior Registered Member #3
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Well, I heard that next year may be the last time softball is in the olympics, which is either sucky/cool, depending if you like the sport or not.
Sport added: calvinball!
Old 28-08-2004, 08:54 PM   First Class Member Officer #4
Sarah
Nice

A sport to add : Tiddlywinks.

Its taken really seriously and apparently I am related to a tiddlywinking champion!
Old 28-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
Narzys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah

Its taken really seriously and apparently I am related to a tiddlywinking champion!
hahahahaha ... very funny

steenbergenja@hotmail.com
Old 28-08-2004, 10:26 PM   Officer #6
Renegade
Stock Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I like Volleyball, especially the indoor kind. Nothing like watching the ball pounded at others' faces. Intense action I say :P. Beach volleyball is cool but it's too easy to score.

Want boring? watch Sailing.
Old 28-08-2004, 10:38 PM   #7
Narzys

I think one of the powers of the Olympic Games are the so many sports there are. Everyone prefers one or two of them.

I don't like the horseback riding, but I know for some people is it more important then swiming (omg.. how is that possible?)

steenbergenja@hotmail.com
Old 28-08-2004, 11:44 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzys

I don't like the horseback riding, but I know for some people is it more important then swiming (omg.. how is that possible?)

I HATE horseback riding, especially watching it on tv, it's so boring. But it got me thinking, why are there no other olympic sports that feature animals? Alliagtor wrangling, Shark-swimming, and "chicken" would be awesome to see!
Old 28-08-2004, 11:57 PM   #9
rabbit
Newcomer

i guess for me, besides personal preferences, i'd go for dressage (horse event) and equestrian etc. i mean, the rider doesnt really do much except control a horse right. i dont think, for what the olympics are worth anyway, it should be continued.

So too with tennis. Altho i love tennis, we already have 4 grandslams and the davis cup amongst other little indoor competitiions etc. The Olympics is just another event where you see the same people play and is no different to the same match a month ago etc. Its there for when the players actually can be bothered going to and participating (its not really ranked that high by some big tennis players, as compared to the grandslams). Shooting is a bit boring and would prefer it not to be in the games either, yes its a skill thing, and obviously arguable, but why not leave the olympics to the real sports like athletics, weightlifting etc etc.

rhythmic gymnastics should go too and synchronised swimming..

lol....i know my understanding on certain sports can of course be questionable. but no harm in a debate lol.

Not for personal reasons like whether i like a sport or dont, but on the fact that the olympics is about strength etc isnt it and skill? I am aware that i dont know every sport and what preparations are needed i guess...i just hope people see where i'm coming from lol.

Maybe i shuld have termed the question as to, not the sports should be dropped form the olympics, but rather, what sports truly warrants to be in the olympics.
Old 29-08-2004, 12:36 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #10
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

The rider doesn't do much? Are you fucking serious? As a competitive Equestrienne, I completely take offense at that. Learning to work as a team with a horse is not only mentally challenging, it's very physically demanding. And the goal of the entire sport is to make it look like not much effort is involved, especially in dressage. It should look harmonious; like the two are reading each other's minds. When you can get a horse to switch leads every stride (challenging for horse and rider), then I will listen to your views on equestrian sports. When you can jump a horse over a six to seven foot or a completely solid cross country jump like a tree trunk, while staying on, switching from holding all of your wieght in your calves during the take off, completely holding all of your own weight in the air, and then switching your weight once again to your ankles when the horses front feet hit the ground, and then *again* to your lower back when his back feet hit the ground....then I'll take your views seriously. Please. Equestrian sports are one of the most challenging in the Olympics, because you can't just be a good rider to make it, you need to have that once in a lifetime horse and you need to be able to work together. It takes just as much body and mind control as any other sport, if not more.

I don't think any sport should be taken out of the Olympics. They're all their for a reason, and people dedicate their entire lives to excelling. The Olympics is where their dedication and love of the sport is rewarded.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Old 29-08-2004, 12:40 AM   #11
ChocolateMoose

Synchronised diving...lol!! Or, and this is a better bet I think...today I heard about this race where they walk the whole distance. How boring is that?!

Definatly think jousting should be added! Or archery. Do they already do that?!

READ my reviews of films, theatre and concerts!
VOTE in the poll - Who has the most influence on which films you see at the cinema?
INVENT a caption - This months picture comes from Equilibrium!
Old 29-08-2004, 01:18 AM   Senior Registered Member #12
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Synchronized swimming, that's boring shit.

What sport should be added: Fishing & Jousting.
womens olympic volleyball is the shit.
not only is it pretty fun to watch, those women have by far the best bodies of any professional athlete.
Old 29-08-2004, 01:20 AM   Senior Registered Member #13
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I was watching ESPN a little while back and they showed a commercial that said "If this can be in the olympics *shows synchronized swimming* why not let poker be an olympic event?" Ha! Poker is mostly luck, and partly skill. If they allow poker into the olympics I'm going to shoot myself in the foot. It's like having a coin toss event in the olympics.

Last edited by Jacoby; 29-08-2004 at 01:21 AM. Reason: I can splel ggood
Old 29-08-2004, 01:41 AM   #14
rabbit
Newcomer

@ kelsey. firstly i did not intend to offend anyone.obciously with having used an example to something u deearly love, its easy to post back ranting. When i say not having done much, i didnt mean they were just putting their feet up etc letting the horse do everything. of course not. i meant in terms of physicality. obviously all sports requires skill. others requires more strenght, stamina etc. Dressage is totally diffeernt to say the marathon. for the sake of argument here, i'll say that dressage is purely 'skill' in that it requires communication with the horse, udnerstanding the horse etc. (maybe a little strength as in exercises so not to pull muscles on the riders leg, buttocks etc etc).

That, to be compared with athletics, weightlifting etc. I mean, if dressage is mostly skill as u said, its complicated and i do not refute that. So then, why not allow chess to become a 'sport' in the olympics then? It is a skill, requires a lot of mentality, need to think ahead of the opponent, mathetical forumlas etc, maybe the odd excercise to relax or whatever.

I'm not taking the piss out of dressage or any other horseriding event. nor on any other sports here ok. I was thinking general terms. Of course we cant all agree on the subject in question. so too with say shooting clay pigeons (no offence to shooting fans). no one can say get rid of this sport or that sport, its all subjective.

ok, so i'm arguing about skills and strengths etc, and of course all sports have skill involved. But with it being the olympics, i'll continue to watch it mostly for the strength sports (shame most of its being drowned by drug users etc tho). that is not to say i cannot appreciate skilled mostly sport however such as dressage for example. I have watched it amongst other horse type sports and enjoyed it.
Old 29-08-2004, 01:42 AM   Senior Registered Member #15
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateMoose
Synchronised diving...lol!! Or, and this is a better bet I think...today I heard about this race where they walk the whole distance. How boring is that?!

Definatly think jousting should be added! Or archery. Do they already do that?!
Yes, Archery is in fact already part of the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan
womens olympic volleyball is the shit.
not only is it pretty fun to watch, those women have by far the best bodies of any professional athlete.
I only caught the men's volleyball, that's why I put it down. Forgot about the women's...
Old 29-08-2004, 01:52 AM   Senior Registered Member #16
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

It's about human skill, not because it interests you. Though walking doesn't seem very hard... I mean people can run that far, why would you need to walk that far...

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 29-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #17
slimgopey
Newcomer

trampoline.. although Canada did win a medal in it..

and volleyball is the shiz, that stuff is pretty exciting to watch.
Old 29-08-2004, 10:45 AM   Senior Registered Member #18
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Trampoline is awesome! I mean yeah, its a garden activity, but still its awesome seeing people jumping up and down doing twists and turns. And its funny when people miss the trampoline and flop onto the mat.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 29-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #19
JayBe
Newcomer

yeah, trampoline is pretty nice. i think there is no real "sport" that should be dropped. some of them are really boring, yes, but olympia is not only the fun factor you can get watching, it's the affirmation for the hard work of the athletes, which lifes only consist of their sports...one should respect that, and that's why some boring sports are also part of the olmpics.

greetings
jaybe
Old 29-08-2004, 12:47 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #20
Liam
Bogan Elite

Rabbit. You have no idea...you pissed off the wrong person

They should add cricket. Would be awesome to laugh at the English team on that sort of world stage.
Closed Thread