Worth 6 bucks? - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 23-08-2004, 12:47 AM   Senior Registered Member #21
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
...probably will wait til it's on DVD as I prefer watching psychological thriller types at home...
Me too, I get scared easily.
Old 23-08-2004, 01:01 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #22
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511
Me too, I get scared easily.
I don't...fuck fear...drink beer
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 03:02 AM   Senior Registered Member #23
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

The DYCEY goes to....

The Dyce Academy Nominees for best Action movie of the summer (Because that is what I saw the most of) are...

Spiderman 2

The Bourne Supremacy

I, Robot

King Arthur

The DYCEY goes to...

SPIDERMAN 2 - The best reviewed film of the summer, and the highest-grossing movie of the summer. Spiderman 2 flawlessly blended action and plot, all the while developing intriguing characters with varied personalities.

Runner Up - TIE The Bourne Supremacy, I, Robot...
(I'm not very decisive)

The nominees for best OTHER movie of the summer are...

Napolean Dynamite

The Village

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story

Hero (Chinese Version)

...And the DYCEY goes to...

NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE - This movie will go down in history as one of the most illogically funny movies of all. The terrific character development aids the somewhat slow story while giving us something to laugh about also (Even if Spire doesn't agree with me)

Runner Up - Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story.
Old 23-08-2004, 03:10 AM   Senior Registered Member #24
Spire
InSpire Me

Collateral is the best film of the summer, hands down. Just go see it. And Napolean Dynamite wasn't that funny. I think I ranted about this someplace else. I believe your opinion on this movie will heavily influenced by your social status during the grade school years. I knew people like Napolean personally (they were much smarter than he is though), and didn't find the movie funny at all (with a few exceptions). However, I went with a few other people who put themselves above "geeks" like Napolean in grade school and thought the movie was hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufiman
i thought 'Heat' was an excellent movie, starring two of the best actors ever, Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino, DeNiro playing the cool con, Pacino the Over-the-top loudmouth cop, with many cool supporting characters. Mann gives us both sides of the story, with the good guy/bad guy stories and with that, creates a mighty long movie [3 hours?]. the gripping story itself is just an epic crime thriller and the action scenes are probably the most memorable. the best of the movie though, was the crazy shootout towards the halfway point in the movie, which was about 10 minutes of the madness. Heat was just a cool, awesome movie, and i would care to hear why you think it sucks.
I agree with this, I really like Heat. The final scene between De Niro and Pacino at the airport was great.
Old 23-08-2004, 03:11 AM   Senior Registered Member #25
Pygmalion
Pissed

Well as half the movies you're talking about haven't made it to our arsehole of a town yet, I can't really commment. But the best movie I saw this "summer" (or winter) was Goodbye Lenin at the foreign Film festival.
Was one fo the best movies I've ever seen...and good study for my first major exam (NOT)
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 05:36 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #26
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Napoleon Dynamite!!! Awesome movie!

And I liked the Village as well. I don't think it was the best movie of the summer, but I just wanted to comment on it. I love Shyamalan and his plot twists, but unfortunately, he wasn't the first to come up with this one (or at least that's what will be decided in an upcoming trial). Anyone read a little book called "Out of Time"? I believe I mentioned it walking out of the theater. Anyways, I liked the Village, people are just stupid.

And I haven' seen Heat, but I've heard it's great. I believe it.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 06:14 AM   Officer #27
Renegade
Stock Boy

I've only seen about half the summer's movies so I can't really make a fair judgement. But from what I have seen...

Spiderman 2
Great mix of action and story. Showed Peter as a real person with real problems. Emotional conflicts plus cold hard action= great summer movie.

Dodgeball
Just a funny slapstick comedy. Lots and lots of laughs. Probably the best laughs of the summer, aside from Anchorman and Harold and Kumar.

KA was ok at best. Me just liked the battle scene on the icefront.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 04:09 PM   Senior Registered Member #28
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
Anyone read a little book called "Out of Time"? .
I thought it was called "Running Out of Time"? Anyways, yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I hope M. Night loses the trial..he completely nicked the plot from that novel.

You all really need to see Garden State.

Oh, yeah. Zach Braff decided to open GS in more than 600 theatres...so you may not have to drive so far for it. And he's bringing it to England around the 23rd of October...then the rest of Europe..then the world.
Old 23-08-2004, 06:19 PM   Senior Registered Member #29
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Summer Movie Season

This summer movie season was terrific.

I didn't see a movie that didn't suit my fancy, except for Hero, but that is a long story.

This summer, I saw:
Spiderman 2 (A+)
The Bourne Supremacy (A)
I, Robot (B)
Napolean Dynamite (B)
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (B)
The Village (B-)
King Arthur (B-)
Troy (B-, but under King Arthur on the list)
Hero (I won't spoil it for everyone)

I'm still dying to see Collateral and Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. I think the summer movie season officially ended the week that The Manchurian Candidate came out. For some reason, I lost interest in spending $8.50 to go to the movies

About I, Robot: Will Smith should receive an Ocsar nomination for his part as Det. Spooner. Without him, that movie would have been a complete waste. Can you imagine Morris Chestnut or Ice Cube trying to pull off that role? Those were the two they considered before choosing Smith.

DYCEY summers awards go to:

BEST ACTOR- Will Smith I, Robot
BEST ACTRESS- Keira Knightley King Arthur
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR- Ioan Gruffudd King Arthur
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS- Actually, I saw guy movies. There weren't many supporting actresses...

BEST DIRECTOR- M. Night Shyamalan The Village (Go fuck yourself Kyle_West)
Old 23-08-2004, 07:58 PM   Senior Registered Member #30
Spire
InSpire Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce_Blue

I didn't see a movie that didn't suit my fancy, except for Hero, but that is a long story.

This summer, I saw:
Spiderman 2 (A+)
The Bourne Supremacy (A)
I, Robot (B)
Napolean Dynamite (B)
The Village (B-)
King Arthur (B-)

I'm still dying to see Collateral and Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. I think the summer movie season officially ended the week that The Manchurian Candidate came out. For some reason, I lost interest in spending $8.50 to go to the movies

About I, Robot: Will Smith should receive an Ocsar nomination for his part as Det. Spooner. Without him, that movie would have been a complete waste. Can you imagine Morris Chestnut or Ice Cube trying to pull off that role? Those were the two they considered before choosing Smith.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS- Actually, I saw guy movies. There weren't many supporting actresses...

Your awards suck. I'd have to disagree with everything you said except for Keira getting Best Actress.
Old 23-08-2004, 09:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #31
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce_Blue

This summer, I saw:
Spiderman 2 (A+)
The Bourne Supremacy (A)
I, Robot (B)
Napolean Dynamite (B)
The Village (B-)
King Arthur (B-)

Good, good, but the ONLY reason Smith deserves an Oscar nod is because of the fucked up name he had: SPOONER. Every time somebody said his name in the movie, I almost died. Agree on Keira's best actress role, but for supporting actress, Bryce somebody from the Village was excellent, the glue that (wobbily) held up the movie.
Old 23-08-2004, 11:04 PM   Senior Registered Member #32
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Quote:
but for supporting actress, Bryce somebody from the Village was excellent, the glue that (wobbily) held up the movie.
Her name is Bryce Dallas Howard I think (That is a really boyish name). The thing about her, is that she could be considered the lead actress in the movie, as her role was much more prominent and important that Sigorney Weaver's.

If I were to choose a BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS from the movies I saw, it would be the old lady who played Aunt May in Spiderman 2. She is a very sincere and realistic old lady. She does so well, it's hard to believe there really is a midget with a voice-box problem under all those doilies and makeup accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire
Your awards suck.
Doesn't the name of the award kind of give that away?
Old 24-08-2004, 01:52 AM   Senior Registered Member #33
frodo1511
Pin Dick

BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD: thank you dyce, I was nagging myself all day, trying to find out her name: I think she did a good job as the blind girl, very convincing. Although Aunt May was good in Spidey2, I thought Bryce was better.
On a much more agreeable note, I'm guessing nobody has any objections to Keira being best actress for this summer's movies?
ANYONE?!?!
Old 24-08-2004, 02:51 AM   Senior Registered Member #34
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
On a much more agreeable note, I'm guessing nobody has any objections to Keira being best actress for this summer's movies?
ANYONE?!?!
Who are we trying to kid here? Really?
Old 24-08-2004, 03:00 AM   Officer #35
EmotionSickness
Cutie

The best movie of the summer, for ME, was definitely Garden State. That's actually one of the best films of the entire year, in my opinion. As of right now, it's second on my list, only to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Back to summer flicks -- I also thoroughly enjoyed Anchorman, Napolean Dynamite, The Notebook (although I'm clearly bias, being in love with Ryan Gosling 'n all) and The Village (even though it isn't Shyamalan's best work). King Arthur was sort of iffy for me. Beautiful to look at, but the script/screenplay fell terribly short and most of the acting was pretty sub-par for me.

Hmmm. So many posts/threads here are devoted to movies. We should really consider starting some sort of cinema think tank.
Old 24-08-2004, 04:02 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #36
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Bryce Dallas Howard is Ron Howard's daughter, so I knew she'd be great in The Village. And Jacoby, Out of Time/Running Out of Time..at least you knew the book I was talking about. It was practically the *same* story, lol. I'm trying to find the book so I can read it again.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 04:15 AM   Senior Registered Member #37
Elijahfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
Bryce Dallas Howard is Ron Howard's daughter, so I knew she'd be great in The Village. And Jacoby, Out of Time/Running Out of Time..at least you knew the book I was talking about. It was practically the *same* story, lol. I'm trying to find the book so I can read it again.
there was a small article about that in the entertainment weekly, i'm not sure if they're seeking palgerism though. when i saw the village with my friend she was telling me about the book, she had just read it. personally i didnt like the movie that much but i loved the actors in it, especailly Bryce Dallas Howard, i mean who couldn't , she's Ron Howard's daughter, he's one of my heros.

other good movies; Garden State for sure, napeolean dynamite, Hero (but i saw that a while ago in chinese, it's being released by Miramax and Quentin Tarentino i think), kill bill vol 2. spiderman was okay for me, i just don't enjoy moves that much when they get good reviews from everyone, then i too great of expectations going into the theater.

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 01:12 PM   #38
kilyncw

dodgeball goes to the top of my list. that was a great great movie.

harold and kumar go to white castle was funny as hell.

king arthur, despite its bombing, i thought it was a great movie.

now shitty ones.

the village was the dumbest movie i've ever seen.
the exorcist wasn't worth it
avp wasn't worth it (good until the whole bonding thing, so gay)
anchorman was funny stuff but god damn ridiculous (best part, when jack black punted the dog over the bridge)
________
LovelyWendie
kilyncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 01:19 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #39
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyncw
anchorman was funny stuff but god damn ridiculous (best part, when jack black punted the dog over the bridge)
I must disagree. The funniest part was the news team battle royale in the alley. That was pure comedy genius. Jack Black was funny, but anchormen and battle axes?!? Hy-fucking-sterical!
Old 24-08-2004, 01:32 PM   #40
kilyncw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad
I must disagree. The funniest part was the news team battle royale in the alley. That was pure comedy genius. Jack Black was funny, but anchormen and battle axes?!? Hy-fucking-sterical!
word. that was a very unexpected scene and it does deserve its props. you said it all. i stand corrected, anchorman doesn't go on my bad list anymore, as i recap nearly the entire movie in my head.
________
Gay Latino
kilyncw is offline   Reply With Quote