Worth 6 bucks? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 22-08-2004, 11:08 PM   Senior Registered Member #1
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Worth 6 bucks?

I'm taking a stab at everyone here: The summer movie season has officially ended

With that, I'm now taking the time to give out my picks for, drum roll please,...

THE BEST MOVIE OF THE SUMMER!!!

As many of you know(or don't know) I tend to root for the underdog of things(Coldplay in the Grammy's, ROTK in the Oscars) so my pick/s for the best movie goes to:

King Arthur: Whew, where should I begin? This movie has so much potential, I honestly thought I was watching the Two Towers again, it's that good. I enjoyed the ensamble cast, in the fact that there was no single person who lead through the entire picture(although Clive Owen did a good job playing Arthur) Oh, and I guess Keira did a mediocre performance Sure, with the rating cut, the whole "no Camelot, magic, gayness parts" and lots of the movie was scraped(hold your breath, Disney is releasing the cutted footage for the DVD, thank moses), people tended to give it more negative than positive reviews, but I still think it was better than it turned out to be. The graphics were nice, especially the wintery backgrounds, and the epic fight scene at the end was, well, epic. A sleeper hit that could've been so much more.

I, Robot: I was going to this movie, thinking it was crap, and did a complete 180 when I left: I LOVED this movie. First off, don't write it off thinking it's a mindless summer popcorn flick: it makes you think. Coupled with AMAZING graphics(using the same tech. as what WETA used for in Gollum), and some of Will Smith's best, and you have a decent sci-fi summer release. Althought I don't think the world will be THAT advanced in thirty years, the producers did give us a look at what the world is heading to. Only bad part: we may never get our hands on that sexy Audi

Collateral: Man, was this an adrenaline-rush. Tom Cruise, as a BAD GUY?! Who've thunk it? He was amazing, and Jamie Foxx was also spectacular. The story was top-notch, in a sense that you'r in a mafia-esque world, with a guy that is a genuine hit man. I enjoyed the backdrop that was LA(especially the sky-to-ground shots; very hip), but I still would'nt want to live there.

Other Notables:

Spider-Man 2, The Village, The Bourne Supremacy, Shrek 2.

Well, there's my thoughts, collaborate with your fellow peers, and holler if you agree/disagree.
Old 22-08-2004, 11:16 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #2
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Have seen none of them. I really want to see Collateral though, Michael Mann is king.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 11:27 PM   Officer #3
mufiman
Officer

I think there should be room for one more week before the summer officially ends, with two interesting movies coming out ["hero" and "suspect zero"]

My Picks:

Collateral- Probably the best movie of the summer. Tom Cruise is top-notch and owns the hitman role. Jamie Foxx was also really great as the cab driver. the movie was entertaining all the way through with plenty of thrills. oh and mark ruffalo looked like a complete badass in this movie, that was cool, especially after seeing him as a complete nerd in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. For fans of Heat, or michael mann, this is a must-see.

The Manchurian Candidate- i thought this was really good. some say it was boring, but i thought it was suspensful and engaging all the way. Denzel washington was good. the story was wonderful, and the conspiracy was great, having Liev shreiber [sp?] and denzel caught in the middle of it all. the only problem i had with it was the confusing ending.

i dont know about KA and I,robot though. i didnt care for either of those.

others:
Bourne supremacy, harold and kumar go to white castle, anchorman, dodgeball.

i have not seen Napolean Dynamite or Garden State, but a lot of people have said they were great.

bad bad bad movies:
'Exorcist the beginning' was by far the worst movie of the summer, if not the entire year. Alien v Predator trails this, followed by the village. thats just me though.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 11:33 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
Richard
Dated

To be honest, I hardly go to the cinema. If I'm lucky I could go at least three times a year, so I say every movie I do see is worth six bucks.

The Day After Tomorrow
Van Helsing

Two possible shit-films, but worth it.
Old 22-08-2004, 11:38 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula
Have seen none of them. I really want to see Collateral though, Michael Mann is king.
Pffft...Heat was gay...discuss.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 11:39 PM   Senior Registered Member #6
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
The Day After Tomorrow
Van Helsing

Two possible shit-films, but worth it.

Meh, they wern't too terribly bad films, I just wen't for the special effects, kinda like I saw AvP just for the effects:P

Haz: I don't know how gay Heat it/was, since I've never seen it, but my ninja spies say it's really good, so I'm undecided as of the moment.
Old 22-08-2004, 11:40 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Garden State was the best film of the summer, without a doubt. Napoleon Dynamite comes in second.
Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 11:47 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
Garden State was the best film of the summer, without a doubt. Napoleon Dynamite comes in second.

I hate you.
I'm too poor to drive an hour to see them both
Old 22-08-2004, 11:50 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #9
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Pffft...Heat was gay...discuss.
Shut your mouth you filthy, cretinous whore. Heat is one of the finest films in modern cinema and you are a wretched scrote who should be thrown to a pack of slavering rapist pigs.
Old 22-08-2004, 11:55 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #10
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Shut your mouth you filthy, cretinous whore. Heat is one of the finest films in modern cinema and you are a wretched scrote who should be thrown to a pack of slavering rapist pigs.
I've told you before...I'm NOT coming round for dinner round your place

Heat sucks...but Ali and The Last of the Mohicans were good...and Manhunter was SO much better than Red Dragon...so perhaps Collateral will be too...I've heard good things and I like Tom Cruise's work, especially Last Samurai.

Last edited by Hazzle; 23-08-2004 at 01:00 AM.
Old 22-08-2004, 11:58 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #11
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Heat was great. Anyone who says otherwise has rabies AIDS.
Old 23-08-2004, 12:01 AM   Senior Registered Member #12
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
round ...I've heard good things and I like Tom Cruise's work, especially Last Samurai.

Yes, Collateral was awesome. His performance was even better than in the Last Samurai, if you can believe it.
Old 23-08-2004, 12:09 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #13
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Heat was great. Anyone who says otherwise has rabies AIDS.
Yes, but only cos I slept with your mum.

Heat sucks...

Last edited by Hazzle; 23-08-2004 at 01:00 AM.
Old 23-08-2004, 12:22 AM   Senior Registered Member #14
frodo1511
Pin Dick

...Cold is better:P

anywho, did anyone see Open Water? IMO, I thought that this movie would be the last, good summer movie(I drew the cut-off line at Aug.20th, I don't care how good Hero will be, school started, so I'm forced to leave it out)
Old 23-08-2004, 12:24 AM   Officer #15
mufiman
Officer

Quote:
Heat sucks...
hmm, instead of saying a movie sucks and asking us to discuss it, why dont you explain WHY you think it sucks.

i thought 'Heat' was an excellent movie, starring two of the best actors ever, Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino, DeNiro playing the cool con, Pacino the Over-the-top loudmouth cop, with many cool supporting characters. Mann gives us both sides of the story, with the good guy/bad guy stories and with that, creates a mighty long movie [3 hours?]. the gripping story itself is just an epic crime thriller and the action scenes are probably the most memorable. the best of the movie though, was the crazy shootout towards the halfway point in the movie, which was about 10 minutes of the madness. Heat was just a cool, awesome movie, and i would care to hear why you think it sucks.

Edit:
i dont want to be raped for not staying on topic, so...

open water: heard it was good, didnt see it yet.
Harry potter movie: it was alright, better than the other two, and one of the big blockbusters of the summer.

Last edited by mufiman; 23-08-2004 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Avoid rape because of being off topic.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 12:25 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #16
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

I saw the Village to day and although it wasnt the best film I'll ever see I disagree with people saying it is a bad film.
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 12:26 AM   Senior Registered Member #17
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
I saw the Village to day and although it wasnt the best film I'll ever see I disagree with people saying it is a bad film.
Only reason people thought it sucked is because they were too stupid to understand the meaning. All they wanted was monsters, and were upset with the "result"
Old 23-08-2004, 12:28 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #18
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

Exactly, if you take it for what it is, and not a 'thriller' with monsters it has a genius plot. After all Shyamalan is famed for his twist
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 12:30 AM   Senior Registered Member #19
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
Exactly, if you take it for what it is, and not a 'thriller' with monsters it has a genius plot. After all Shyamalan is famed for his twist

Speaking of plot twist's, did anyone enjoy I, Robot's? I though it was cool, when Sonny drew that picture of Spooner(funniest name ever) as the savior to the robots, but I found it exciting as to who the REAL savior in the picture was.
Old 23-08-2004, 12:39 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #20
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufiman
hmm, instead of saying a movie sucks and asking us to discuss it, why dont you explain WHY you think it sucks.

i thought 'Heat' was an excellent movie, starring two of the best actors ever, Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino,
That's why I thought it sucked...both put in turgid performances that were crap compared to their other work...noone in the cast did very well at all...and a decent script was raped by abysmal acting and shit directing...

For me BOTH Pacino and De Niro sucked, but De Niro was at least passable...watching Pacino was almost as bad as being raped by a constipated Gorilla.

Back on topic...Mann's done enough good work to make up for Heat and suggest Collateral will be good, but we've not had it here yet so I can't judge

Probably off to see Dodgeball this weekend...not seen the Village yet...probably will wait til it's on DVD as I prefer watching psychological thriller types at home...plus Shyamalan's films often have complexities to them that I miss in the cinema but spot when I'm at home...I much prefer to watch a more complex movie like that REALLY intensely, as twists are only really much fun if you're looking for one and then get taken on a whole new direction...