I'm against the death penalty. Look what happened to Jesus - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 02:25 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
I'm against the death penalty. Look what happened to Jesus

Yeah...we've done all the other obligatory controversial topics...so the death penalty...8th amendment of the US constitution...that sort of thing...discuss.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:33 PM   First Class Member Officer #2
Sarah
Nice
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England
Posts: 1,020
I'm against it! 100%. For a number of reasons, it WOULD NOT deter people from commiting murder, as most murder's aren't planned, they're heat of the moment and plus you can't always get the right person. So thats it. Keeping it simple.

Can't wait to read the loooong, complicated essays people will write about this.
EDIT:

P.S: I like The Life Of David Gale. That film makes a damn good point. Texas sucks, (when we're talking about the Death Penalty)
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:41 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #3
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
My views are pretty simple. Against it, simply because it if it's applied to all cases, regardless of the specifics, simply because murder has been committed (or capital murder if you seperate them...even then it's not specific enough), then no mercy can be shown and it's cruel and inhumane. If you don't apply it to all circumstances, there is discrimination and arbitrariness in the system. In short, it cannot possibly be applied fairly.

Oh, and what Sarah said about mistakes in the system, getting the wrong person, it doesn't work as a deterrent, and thus runs contrary to criminal punishment principles, who are we to judge which lives are worth living and what not, the sheer complexity of the issue, at present, is such that it simply must be wrong.

That's all I've got for now
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
Stormbringer
Member
 
Stormbringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 68
This is a controversial topic...I'm not quite sure how I feel. Here is one question I have-What if the person who committed the murder killed a loved one of yours(as in family member, best friend, or significant other), would you still not want to wish death upon that person?
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
ChocolateMoose
Member
 
ChocolateMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 107
I've heard it said by some people that executing someone is as bad as the murder its self. Not sure I agree with that though.

It has been recorded that people change when on death row...see the error of their ways, find God or whatever and some people use this as an argument against captial punsihment. However, then everyone whos on death row could insist that they have changed when in truth they haven't...so that argument dosn't work either.

My view is that it is wrong. Anyway, a better way to punish people is to lock them away for the rest of their lives. Execution i.e. death is a means of escape, and if you really want to let someone pay for what they have done, keep them alive in a horrible cell. I dunno, they would go insane but that wouldn't get the satisfaction of escape.
__________________
Visit http://www.freewebs.com/my-reviews and

READ my reviews of films, theatre and concerts!
VOTE in the poll - Who has the most influence on which films you see at the cinema?
INVENT a caption - This months picture comes from Equilibrium!
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:26 PM   Senior Registered Member #6
Spire
InSpire Me
 
Spire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooray!
Posts: 716
Our prisons are full, the innocent taxpayers are spending huge amounts of money to pay for the inmates food, shelter, and cable television, and I have no bleeding heart for murderers, child rapists, or any of the other scumbags that get put on death row.
__________________
彼はグレービーを愛した。
Spire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
Richard
Dated
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire
Our prisons are full, the innocent taxpayers are spending huge amounts of money to pay for the inmates food, shelter, and cable television, and I have no bleeding heart for murderers, child rapists, or any of the other scumbags that get put on death row.
As long as they're put away, I would have no problem. I don't support (the chair) style execution, but rather the less painful (if it even is) lethal injection. Some people do deserve to die. I mean, is it our fault that they screwed up their lives and decided to choose that particular path? (If they even did, I'm trying to look at this thing both ways... because accidentally murders do happen.) Are we suppose to feel pity? No, because some of us will be eating cheeseburgers when a murderer gets executed. I really can't afford to worry about a cold-blooded murderer, and neither should anyone else. I definitely don't support what happened to Jesus, I don't even support any type of harsh execution's such as: The Chair, Firing Squard, Hanging, Stoned, :err: , and all that other Royal shit they did back in the day.

That's the way I've always felt about the death penalty.

They shouldn't get cable television. But then again, a world without television is chaos.
__________________
"As a human being, I don't suppose I have any real individuality. I'm the people I've met; I'm a mixture of everything I've ever read or seen. I'm everyone I've ever loved."
My blog: All Things Classic
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 06:14 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
Elijahfan
Senior Member
 
Elijahfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minnesota USA
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire
Our prisons are full, the innocent taxpayers are spending huge amounts of money to pay for the inmates food, shelter, and cable television, and I have no bleeding heart for murderers, child rapists, or any of the other scumbags that get put on death row.
totally agreeding, prisons are over crowded and tax payers are the ones footing the bills. plus it's a revolving door for the less serious offenders (stealing, fraud). i'm not saying all criminals deserve death but people who plot to murder and shit like that do.
__________________
Frank Miller's Sin City... "walk down the right back alley in Sin City and you can find anything" 4.1.05

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:37 PM   Officer #9
DragonRat
Officer
 
DragonRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Posts: 507
The death penalty is meant to serve as a higher deterrent, for those who do not believe in prison time as deterrence in itself. I don't think that it's right, simply because it costs even more money to keep someone on Death Row than it is to keep them locked up in a prison. On a moral standpoint, I don't think it's rather correct either, though emotions do tend to get in the way of my thoughts. I mean, if I had a daughter theoretically, and some stranger kidnapped, molested, raped, and ultimately mutilated and murdered her, you're damn sure I'd want some blood out of that. As un-Christian as that sounds, sometimes things like this have to happen.
__________________
"I like refried beans. That's why I want to try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good, and we're just wasting time." - Mitch Hedberg (1968-2005)

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:23 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #10
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
But y'know...noone's addressed the points of:

a) sure...a GUILTY murderer does...but how many convictions are overturned later?
b) What about people who repent...DR...as a Christian...would God not allow someone to repent their sin? Should they not be allowed a chance to lead their new purer life?


Also...the prisons are overful because we don't know how to handle crime. Firstly American prisons are full because of petty criminals like people who merely possess drugs being given mandatory sentencing...that's just fucking retarded. Also we don't use parole enough, or suspended sentences, and we simply don't know how to rehab people and put them into the RIGHT sort of program.

Also isn't the whole bloody purpose of criminal law to protect and insulate us from our baser desires? Murder...this can often be the result of anger...theft...greed...rape/child molestation...lust. The urge for revenge is a base emotion...it's a neanderthal emotion...and whilst it's ENTIRELY understandable...the purpose of the criminal justice system is to stop us exacting our revenge, not do it for us. It's supposed to replace a biased emotionally charged punishment with a fair, balanced and proportionate punishment...can we say the death penalty is always fair and balanced? And even if it's evenly applied, what about when it's not appropriate? Then doesn't it become cruel?
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:05 AM   #11
rabbit
Newcomer
 
rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 23
erm ok...so much for my 2nd post as a newbie here....


I'm supposed to be a christian..but i'm not very religious. For me, religion shouldnt come into it..in regards to repenting etc etc.

Death penalty i'm against but only for non mass murderers. Mainly if lets say, the wrong person was convicted and maybe that person who killed e.g. his friend was provoked in some way or the other. Whatever that provocation or 'thing' that made him kill...i dont think the death p0enalty justfies it..(i hope i make sense here)

but i think the death penlaty should be for mass murderers..like Harold Shipman for example.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:23 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #12
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
If we apply it to some and not others it introduces arbitrariness into the system...there already is some, we don't need to add to it...otherwise the legal system becomes a mess.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:27 AM   #13
KRev
Member
 
KRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
If the Islamic extremists and the Zionists got anything right it's

EYE FOR AN EYE, TOOTH FOR A TOOTH
KRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:29 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #14
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRev
If the Islamic extremists and the Zionists got anything right it's

EYE FOR AN EYE, TOOTH FOR A TOOTH
How well reasoned an argument...why don't we all just have vigilante justice and end the modern civilised world?
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:46 AM   Officer #15
DragonRat
Officer
 
DragonRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Posts: 507
If they were to repent, it's difficult to believe them. Such is the heinousness of their crime, that the majority of peoples would hardly think that they have truly changed their ways. But I think that Death Row inmates should be given a chance to parole, to rehabilitate. If they learn the errors of their ways, then perhaps they can contribute to society in the later part of their lives.

Perhaps rehabilitation is that most civilized of methods. Revenge assuredly is a passionate and extreme emotion, but do not discount it. As a Christian, I dislike the death penalty, but do not disregard the fact that it is a major deterrent for crime. Unfortunately, there are numerous mistakes in it.
__________________
"I like refried beans. That's why I want to try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good, and we're just wasting time." - Mitch Hedberg (1968-2005)

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 02:15 AM   First Class Member Officer #16
Sarah
Nice
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRev
If the Islamic extremists and the Zionists got anything right it's

EYE FOR AN EYE, TOOTH FOR A TOOTH
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 02:34 AM   #17
KRev
Member
 
KRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
For those of us who have an inkling about what the EYE FOR AN EYE command's original context is, my post makes more sense.

The original purpose of the Hebraic verse is to, in modern terms, make the punishment fit the crime.

Thus the question is begged: Who determines which punishment(s) fit which crime(s)?
KRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 02:52 AM   Senior Registered Member #18
DefyingGravity
Senior Member
 
DefyingGravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 344
I'm against the death penalty. Nobody has the right to take another human life away. Even if someone did murdered, how would killing them make us any better?

I agree with Sarah.
__________________
27th Member of Keira Knightley's Posse
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:35 AM   #19
alby
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 172
The chance for rehabilitation should be given to those who have committed nonviolent, petty crimes. I don't have any sympathy for murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc. -- including white-collar criminals who steal millions of dollars. I wouldn't shed any tears if they were used as crash test dummies.

I disagree with the death penalty because it costs the public more money to pay for the appeals of death row inmates than it would to give those inmates life imprisonment and because our justice system doesn't afford poorer members of society adequate legal representation, thereby resulting in the possible conviction of innocent men and women.

I think violent criminals should be forced to work to help defray the costs of their institutionalization. I wouldn't have a problem with forcing them to make license plates or toys for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Take away amenities like television, weight rooms, visitation, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
A clever man, Gandhi was. But some would say that the whole world became blind a long time ago.
__________________
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part. - Morgan Freeman, Se7en

Last edited by alby; 02-08-2004 at 09:24 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:51 AM   Senior Registered Member #20
Spire
InSpire Me
 
Spire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooray!
Posts: 716
This is one of those things I don't dwell on. I'm not against the death penalty, that's my opinion, I don't see why I should try to prove it to anyone. If someone raped and murdered my little sister, I'd want them to be executed, assuming I didn't get to him first. I would never settle for having the bastard live in prison for the rest of his life.
__________________
彼はグレービーを愛した。
Spire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.