Schools? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 20-07-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
MeggieHoops
Will Flash for Cash

Schools?

Which do you guys think is better...public or private school?

Now I went to the same private school for my whole life, and although I would have liked to have a chance to experience public school, I thought it was really great. The classes were usually only around 15 people, which is medium sized, and there was always the right amount of attention from the teacher, etc. I also think it REALLY helped my college applications and stuff. But still, once again, I always feel like I really missed out on the whole public school environment.
Old 20-07-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
Pinkfairy

I went to a private school so we had to wear uniforms which was ok sometimes till it got boring. We had such strict rules, but it's ok. It was really hard, but it paid off cause I'm doing really well in college and I hardly study.
Old 20-07-2004, 05:19 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #3
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

Define "better".

Edit: Historically, British Public Schools (that's Private schools to you Americans) have outperformed their state-funded contemporaries in terms of student results yet are well-known for equipping their students with virtually zero life-skills and worldly acumen.

The best possible choice is to be lucky enough to attend both.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
Pinkfairy

Yeah, cause education wise, I'd say it's up to the school, not whether they're public or private.
And some publics don't allow the freedom we think they do.
But breaking rules in school was fun, so I did enjoy the private school experience
Old 20-07-2004, 05:30 PM   First Class Member Officer #5
Sarah
Nice

I don't know what I went to! I didn't pay, so what did I go to? ''Normal'' school is probably what I'd call it. Our classes had about 20 people in them. I got a damn good education. 'Nuff said.

The website of my fantastic school. http://www.tollbarbec.net/

I seriously loved it there. I really, really did. I wish I could go back into Year 10 or something.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 05:38 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #6
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfairy
But breaking rules in school was fun, so I did enjoy the private school experience
What a strange quote. Isn't that along the same lines as saying "I don't like eating sushi, so I enjoyed the Ice Hockey experience"? I don't get it.

I never found breaking rules something inherently found in private schools to enhance one's enjoyment of the experience.
Old 20-07-2004, 05:42 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #7
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

Well i went to a shity comprehensive, I didnt turn out so bad did I?

Look at its performance in 2000, the year I left
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/353_4015.stm

I did however go to a really good sixth form college, the best in the north apparently
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/353_8600.stm
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 05:44 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #8
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Private...without a doubt.

I went to public school, and I have suffered dearly for it. If you are lucky enough to live in a really good school district, public can be alright, but by and large, public schools suck.
I took Honors English my sophomore year, and we spent the first nine weeks...a full quarter of the school year...reading the book A Separate Peace. That's sixth grade summer reading for one of the private schools in Atlanta.
Believe me...you missed nothing in private school. You'll probably have read most of what you'll read in freshman English in college.
Old 20-07-2004, 05:47 PM   First Class Member Officer #9
Sarah
Nice

Could someone explain public and private. Which one do you pay for? Private, yes? Well it must be or it doesn't make sense.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 05:49 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #10
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

its not public and private in this country, hence the confusion

public is paid for here,

all free education isnt really given a catagoric name I dont think
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 05:51 PM   #11
Pinkfairy

Well, it's not like we all did anything harmful. Skipping class, that kind of thing.
How about if I put it this way: It was fun skipping class which we weren't supposed to.
Old 20-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #12
Cycleofthemoon

Bmr

My public school system that I am still in (one more year) hasn't really been that bad. I like the enviroment, our lunch prices went up but so did the quality of the food. The classes were big but it made it fun. The school joins the two towns around it. So once you go into high school you met a wave of new people. I like it, and I will miss it.

TOC-Taste of Chains
Cycleofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 06:03 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #13
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

I went to both flavours.
I started at Private which I believe gave the best possible start to my education and instilled in me all those ethical values which a nun-father-chapel institution holds dear.
It showed me a cloistered environment, associates with fabulous wealth and influence, how the old boy network runs, taught me manners, how to be a gentleman and probably affected something resembling good breeding.

I finished at a city State institution. This offered me an insight into an enormously more varied melange of cultures, ideals, goals and backgrounds. It taught me how to become self-motivated enough to survive in the Real World and make money, how to interact in socially disparate groups and how to value contemporaries for their contribution to my life, not to funding a new school wing. It also furnished me with the requisite qualifications to apply to university.

This "foot in both camps" approach has given me a post-education view of the world quite unique amongst my peers; offering the advantages and drive of the satired Silver-Spoon start but incorporating the necessary real-world skills of how to achieve those goals fostered by my start in life.

Doing both is the way to go.
Old 20-07-2004, 07:15 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #14
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

In the United States, you pay for a private education, and a public education is available to anyone.

I started out at a private school at the age of 3 (pre-K), and really enjoyed it. I feel it provided me with a solid first experience of school. I started at a public school at the beginning of 6th grade, and have been there ever since. I look back and prefer the Private school because there is more attention given to a single student, education is taken more seriously, and everyone realizes and accepts the fact that they are there to get an education, not because the law requires them to be there. Stuff like that. At a public school, there's a huge pressure to seperate yourself, yet at the same time you do have to conform to what is normal if you don't want to be labeled as a loser, a fraction of the class takes education seriously, and the majority of my teachers feel they don't get paid enough, so they purposely make the class less quality than it should be.

Living in California, I wish I was at a Private school now more than ever. With all the budget cuts (seriously, what idiot decides educational budgets are the first to be cut?), public schools are suffering big time. My high school has laid off teachers which means 30-40 people in a single class, any elective with a class list of less than 25 people was cut for this upcoming new year, less of a class choice, no after school tutoring, and there are less buses. The less buses thing really sucks for some students because my school happens to be out in the middle of nowhere. The elementary schools in my district have shut down the libraries and after school programs because the state can't afford it. A school without libraries? So, it's in situations like this that Private schools are better. Having experienced both, I prefer private school.

Sierra High School (As you can see, even our website screams cheap):
http://www.mantecausd.net/SHS/sierraHome.html

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 07:28 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
Richard
Dated

I couldn't agree more. Though I've never been to a private school in my life, judging from your response... it does seem a little more productive. Having been to a public school all my life (since k-12) I can't imagine going anywhere else. I've met a lot of great teachers and friends along the way... that it's too late to complain. I've never on the otherhand, felt the need to be like most people. Peer pressure, believe it or not, I have yet to experience. Perhaps it's my lifestyle in which I seperate my school life and home life. I have plenty of friends, but sometimes it's some of your friends that bring you down. With collage on the way, I probably won't ever see them again. It sucks, because I choose carefully who my friends are, and the one's I have are the one's I wish I could spend another four years with.

Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo High School (I couldn't have asked for a better one.)
http://205.154.151.221/cabrillohighschool/index.asp
Old 20-07-2004, 08:16 PM   Officer #16
DragonRat
Officer

I was enrolled in a private school (Lutheran, actually) from kindergarten to 8th grade, so for a good 9 years, I had a pretty good education. Unfortunately, private schools - especially parochial types - do not teach their students about the so-called 'real world'. That's where high school came in, where I had for four years an interesting experience, to say the least. Ups and downs, and stuff like that. Then I went to college, where it is a bit more anonymous, and now I am currently waiting to learn my dorming assignment to Berkeley.

I think, in a way, the early years of your academic development have no bearing on how one grows up. Sure, they teach you ethical and moral values in the early days, if you're in a parochial school, but in the end, where you go for high school and college is probably most important - the latter utterly being where all your beliefs and ideas either build a stronger foundation, or falter to a crumbling end. And I've gone to public high schools and colleges, so, if you wish to learn more about the real world and its goings-on, go to a public institution. Private schools teach you plenty more academically, but for me, I'd rather learn about how to survive in this world rather than learn about it.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 08:44 PM   Senior Registered Member #17
gracie
Goddess

i went to public school for a while, then switched to private. i liked my school but i wouldnt be able to compare. i liked my school and i like the girls i went to. i would recommend a single sex environment. i bonded quite well with my classmates and wasnt distracted by guys. i dont know if it helped but we were all quite close. and i like private school as theres a certain expectation or assumption that goes with you. a reputation really. uniforms are awesome too.

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 08:58 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #18
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Yes...school-girl uniforms are awesome
***ahem***
Officer...these cuffs seem a bit tight.

Seriously, I will probably ruffle some feathers with this statement, but it's mainly the teacher's union (NEA) fault that schools are such a mess. A good friend of mine, who lives in Tennessee, told me that the teachers in Tennessee have dropped out of the NEA and formed their own union.
He said that the NEA's lobby in Washington spends all of its resources lobbying for things completely unrelated to education.
The only kids that I encountered at college that were less equipped than me were the kids who went to the rural, Christian "academies" that sprung up after desegregation. Most of those private schools were not accredited, therefore their first year was spent in remedial classes.
Old 20-07-2004, 09:05 PM   #19
MeggieHoops
Will Flash for Cash

God I could NEVER go to an all girls school. I would kill myself. Although I'm sure I could (sorry that's not meant to sound conceited), I don't date too much, so that's not the issue...but I LOVE my guy friends. It gives life a little variety! And plus, being in an all girls school seems very sheltering. Once you get into the real world there'll be guys around all the time.
Old 20-07-2004, 09:15 PM   Officer #20
Renegade
Stock Boy

I'm glad I've finished with private school. From Kindergarten to 8th grade, rules were heavily enforced. I remember a rule that boy's socks must be a certain length from the ankle in order to be legal. Geez, who the hell would care enough about sock length to actually make a rule of it!? All the boys wore pants over them anyway. Silly rules like that made me realize how much stupid my school was. This is why I try to not to take going to a public high school for granted.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote