Global Warming - Fact or Fiction? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
doubly
Newcomer

Location: West of New York, East of San Francisco, United States
Theory of Global Warming

I'm reading a really interesting book by Michael Chriichton (the guy who wrote Jurassic Park) called State of Fear. In this novel, seroius flaws are pointed out in the theory of global warming. Really, it's news to me that it's a "theory", not an established fact.

Chrichton argues that the Earth is going through a natural warming trend. Also, it has never been proven that CO2 emissions are the actual cause of the warming trend. Other issues, such as the reliability of so-called "climatologists", are also raised.

One of the most interseting things I found was the mention of a guy named Bjorn Lombrg. Apparently, this guy set off to disprove another scientist who put forth that the envoronment was actually improving. In the process of doing this, though, Lomborg found out that the scientist he was disproving was actually right. (Maybe some Scandinavian members could shed further light on this.)

I just want to get some opinions from people worldwide. I believe in things like the Big Bang and evolution, but I know they're only theories scientifically. Global warming, on the other hand, I'm just beginning to doubt....
doubly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:41 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
JackYang

I blame it on CHINA's POLUTIONS!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
meegaan1

I think that global warming has gone down, but that's only because here in North Nevada, we didn't have ONE DAY during summer that was one-hundred degrees (Fahrenheit) or more. That's unusual for us.
Maybe we'll all freeze instead of fry!
meegaan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:07 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackYang
I blame it on CHINA's POLUTIONS!
Eff off. You can't blame the people for wanting to own cars. Freezing, how cool. Ice age seems fun, need ice down in Australia. This is going to end up with a particular greenie on KKW shouting at everyonelse, so I'm not going to post how ignorant I am. Refer to the other tonne of Global Warming threads if you want.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 PM   Senior Registered Member #5
PhoeniX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightfreak
We live on this planet,…, this planet is our home,…, this planet is our house,…, and people who can't have respect for their own house/planet, aren't worth living in/on it!
I never thought of it like that but I think that you're right

When are they gonna invent environmentaly friendly cars? Or do they have them yet?
PhoeniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:58 PM   Senior Registered Member #6
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Watch the Day After Tommorow.

Although not completly accurate, it's hypothesis' could come true, just not as fast as in the movie(an ice age in 2 weeks? Obsurd).
Old 08-01-2005, 06:17 PM   Officer #7
Mags
Officer

There's quite a lot of evidence that the earth is going through natural temperature changes. It's also pretty definite that those changes may be exacerbated by global warming and pollution, but there's not really anything to say that this wouldn't be happening anyway.

The earth goes through climate cycles. It's natural, and it happened quite a bit before we were even here.

Anyone who wants more information, I'd suggest they read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. Excellent read.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:00 AM   Senior Registered Member #8
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellum_851
I never thought of it like that but I think that you're right

When are they gonna invent environmentaly friendly cars? Or do they have them yet?
Never. They wont invent environmentaly friendly cars ever. Know why ? oil companys would loose FUCKLOADS of money, were talking trillions of dollars. There have been heaps of cars invented that could run of non-fossil fuels, but the people who made them have just been bought out by the large oil companies. Even if they refused to sell their product, they would most likely either be beaten into submission, or killed. Its all about money, thats why doctors are NEVER going to cure cancer, know why ?, there making shitloads of money from the treatments, fuck the cure, weres the money in that. Its the same with AIDS etc. Doctors dont cure shit.

Also, Nice post FF, but you forgot to add the fact that you drive a car and live in a large house that would use lots of electricity. So infact, your no environmentalist are you .
Old 09-01-2005, 02:02 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Only monks have appreciation for the environment.

Anyone agree with the Day After Tommorow theory I stated earler?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:05 AM   Senior Registered Member #10
Narg
Westie Yobbo

No, like most holywood movies its a load of bullshit.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:08 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #11
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narg
Just like your sex life.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:08 AM   Senior Registered Member #12
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Actually, it could happen. We ARE, as a whole, dumping hundreds of gallons of fresh water into the seas and oceans daily, unbalancing the delicate ratio of salf:fresh water. Other than the sun, the North Atlantic Current is the most powerful force for worldwide weather patterns. It's quite possible global warming could trigger an ice age in a couple thousand years.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:24 AM   Senior Registered Member #13
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
Just like your sex life.
Good example.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:32 AM   Senior Registered Member #14
Scott

Quote:
Never. They wont invent environmentaly friendly cars ever. Know why ? oil companys would loose FUCKLOADS of money, were talking trillions of dollars. There have been heaps of cars invented that could run of non-fossil fuels, but the people who made them have just been bought out by the large oil companies. Even if they refused to sell their product, they would most likely either be beaten into submission, or killed. Its all about money, thats why doctors are NEVER going to cure cancer, know why ?, there making shitloads of money from the treatments, fuck the cure, weres the money in that. Its the same with AIDS etc. Doctors dont cure shit.

Also, Nice post FF, but you forgot to add the fact that you drive a car and live in a large house that would use lots of electricity. So infact, your no environmentalist are you .
And also, the amount of money the government rakes in from the tax on oil doesn't give them much of an incentive to invest money on other forms of power.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:51 AM   Senior Registered Member #15
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Quote:

That is utterly not true! You think doctors delibrately hide a cure or attempt to not find a cure for cancer? If they didn't cure shit, you'd have died of the common cold you ungrateful bastard. If you learn more about cancers and AIDS, you'd realise why they're so hard to find cures for. However, the actual RELEASING of cures, then you may be correct. Pharmaceutical companies, especially in AIDS, want to have a monopoly on it. Problem is though, Africa is a poor country and its where AIDS is hitting the most. Catch 22, companies don't get cash, people don't get cured. The stuff about oil companies I agree on though.

Onto Scott's point, you're Victorian, surely you've heard of the wind farm plans in the Gippslands? Bloody assholes there keep complaining about unsightly turbines though, more about political ambition than cash, for not oil based economy countries I'd think anyway.

Edit: Scientists try to find cures anyway, not doctors in most cases.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp

Last edited by deviljet88; 09-01-2005 at 01:57 PM.
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:34 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #16
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

Fact 1: Earth naturally warms and cools in cycles due to an elliptical oscillation in it's orbit. I think it's every 15,000 years or thereabouts.
Fact 2: Humans are producing gasses that warm the environment.
Fact 3: Global Warming occurs naturally, but humans are accelerating the process by which this happens.

There's not really much else to say. It's happening, and we're making it worse. If you doubt it, you've got your head in the sand.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #17
Dionysus

i've always though that any major changes our planet goes through, is by no fault of its inhabitants, its been thousands and thousands of years since the last major change in the planet and i think another is due, everything in the universe is expanding and contracting and moving around so its ignorant to believe that everything will stay this way forever, however luckily for us humans, we now have the capabilities to change with it, and as the bloke in jurassic park said (damn Michael Chriichtons on the ball) "life finds a way"

EDIT:
Quote:
Its all about money, thats why doctors are NEVER going to cure cancer, know why ?, there making shitloads of money from the treatments, fuck the cure, weres the money in that. Its the same with AIDS etc. Doctors dont cure shit.
actually they would make more money on a cure than they would not having one, the price of drugs for specialty diseases are VERY high

my grandad died of lung cancer on the 6th October this year and his doctor said that the fact is they will probably never cure cancer, they will eventually however find a really good treatment, where they will give you medication that will keep it dorment and say "come back for another check up in 10 years", the cancer will not effect your way of life, so i supose its as good as a cure
Old 10-01-2005, 12:50 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #18
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511
Only monks have appreciation for the environment.

Anyone agree with the Day After Tommorow theory I stated earler?
Only the "obsurd" part...but then, only if it's spelled absurd.
Old 15-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #19
doubly
Newcomer

Location: West of New York, East of San Francisco, United States
I don't really know about your facts, Barrington. But let me throw in a caveat and say that nobody does.

Maybe this warming trend has something to to with our incredible urbaniztion over the last century--concrete and metal and things like this certainly reflect sunlight and make it hotter in a city than the countryside. I don't think scientists know if CO2 emissions are causing warming or not.

The problem is is this: scientists get funding from environmental groups, environmental groups get funding from the public. Say a scientist does an experiment that finds no conclusive evidence for global warming. Don't you think that he may fudge the results so he can get funding? Don't you think that the environmental groups may want him to fudge the results so the public (now fearful about global warming) will give them money?

It's a terrible cycle, but it could just as easily apply to industry wanting anit-global warming info.
doubly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 10:44 PM   Senior Registered Member #20
Pete
Monty

recent bbc article on global warming

it might be a natural cycle - but im sure ive heard that the next ice age is over due?

bbc article on ice age cycle
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote