Pure - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 04-08-2004, 01:26 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Pure

I finally got to see Pure. I recorded it off of the Sundance Channel last week. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the movie as a whole, as I was with the individual performances.
Keira was solid, as was the woman who played the junkie mom.
I was really impressed with Keira's abilty to move from a teenager trying to be an adult to a teenager just being a kid, many times within the same scene. I am really looking forward to seeing her in The Jacket after having seen this film.
Opinions? Who has seen it?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:25 PM   First Class Member Officer #2
Sarah
Nice

I bought the DVD when it came out a few months ago. I liked it, but I hated Keira's character, which just proves how good Keira is at acting... I hated her!!!
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 02:41 PM   Senior Registered Member #3
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Haven't seen the film, waiting for it to come on HBO/Cinemax. Anyway, I too am looking forward to the Jacket, and Domino(both look very promising) Two of my favorite actors in two good-looking films(Keira, and Adrien Brody)
Old 04-08-2004, 03:09 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #4
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
I bought the DVD when it came out a few months ago. I liked it, but I hated Keira's character, which just proves how good Keira is at acting... I hated her!!!
Ah...so true. I really disliked her character. I wanted to scream at her not to be such a fucking idiot, and get off the "gear".

BTW, how many ways can a person refer to heroin?
Is "dosh" slang for drugs in general, or is it specific to heroin?
Old 04-08-2004, 03:25 PM   First Class Member Officer #5
Sarah
Nice

'dosh' is money
Old 04-08-2004, 03:43 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #6
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Hehe...dosh is money. Smack is also a very prominent nickname for Heroin...not really summat I know much about though, to be fair.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM   First Class Member Officer #7
Sarah
Nice

I know only too much abour drugs, a friend of mine is hooked on smack... not good.

Woah, I'm dragging this off-topic! *slaps herself* Sorry, now, back to Pure...
Old 04-08-2004, 03:55 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #8
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
I know only too much abour drugs, a friend of mine is hooked on smack... not good.
Aye...I bet...

To drag this back on topic ...yeah I liked Pure...thought Keira was exceptional at being horrid...much as she was initially as Frankie in The Hole (and the really brilliant bit there was by the end of it you flipped your view of Frankie on its head...now THAT'S acting)...and it totally contradicts this myth that Keira can only act in roles where she's likeable. I've not seen KA yet, but I hear her Guinevere isn't that sympathetic either...but in Pure, like with Frankie in The Hole, Keira generated a feeling both of disgust and sympathy...it's quite something.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:12 PM   #9
J'Adore

I want to get it, but I can't really afford the £18 or so that HMV want for it

Haz, why were you disgusted by Frankie? Aside perhaps from the bulimia, she seemed to me like a normal school girl...just a bit more 'friendly', maybe

Anyway, off topic is bad and all that, so back to Pure. Did Keira film this post Hole and pre Bend It?
J'Adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:33 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #10
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'Adore
I want to get it, but I can't really afford the £18 or so that HMV want for it

Haz, why were you disgusted by Frankie? Aside perhaps from the bulimia, she seemed to me like a normal school girl...just a bit more 'friendly', maybe

Anyway, off topic is bad and all that, so back to Pure. Did Keira film this post Hole and pre Bend It?
Cos Frankie was a vile, stuck up snobby bitch, AT THE START . The Bulimia actually created doubts, and as her character softened and we were sold the true story (although I sort of suspected that Liz wasn't all she seemed) we saw she was really very naive, and insecure, and lacked the confidence she was putting up...and it made me rethink my views of several girls I knew like that in High School...y'know...the princess Miss Popular type...got trodden on by a few of those

And as far as I'm aware Pure was post The Hole, pre-bend it, it but released after Bend It.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:47 PM   #11
keiracaleb

I thought Pure was ok, not brilliant but not awful, i got it on dvd and i did actually like Louise, i thought she was a nice character, she was nice to Paul and his friend and she did say she cut down on the drugs because of her baby, she looked after Paul for a bit and he was curious to how heroin makes you feel, he wanted to know what his mother was feeling, so Louise let him try some, and if you think about it, if Louise hadn't given Paul drugs, let his mum see what affect it had on Paul and let Pauls mum get upset then she wouldn't have decided to give up the drugs. So she's a bit of a hero really isn't she? (was going to write heroine but it didn't seem right).
And the only bit where i thought she was a complete and utter cow was when she got angry with Paul when she was having baby Beckham (what a wierd name hmm? and he was named that because of how strong his kick was in the womb......wierd!) But the little dude that played Paul, i thought he was utter rubbish! he didn't convince me at all, and i thought he was really bad for the part, Keira, Molly (Paul's mum), the guy who played Lenny, i thought they where all really good, but the little dude who played Paul....nah!

i give it a rating of *** stars
keiracaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:17 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #12
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Mmkay..."dosh" makes more sense now.
I work with a woman whose daughter is a heroin addicted crackhead...seriously...and she has a son about Paul's age. From what I've seen, the little fella did a pretty good job.

Here's something strange that occurred to me while watching Pure. I'm not sure if you'd call it one, or two degrees of separation from PoTC.
She has a baby she names Beckham...she's in Bend it Like Beckham, in which her mother calls her "poppet"...and Pintel calls her "poppet" in PoTC.
Any further references in movies to Beckham or "poppet" will therefore require Miss Knightley's presence.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:22 PM   First Class Member Officer #13
Sarah
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiracaleb
she looked after Paul for a bit and he was curious to how heroin makes you feel, he wanted to know what his mother was feeling, so Louise let him try some, and if you think about it, if Louise hadn't given Paul drugs, let his mum see what affect it had on Paul and let Pauls mum get upset then she wouldn't have decided to give up the drugs.
Anyone who lets a child try heroin is scum.. even if the child begged for it! But I do understand your point.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:58 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #14
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

...but he was a big ten!
I'm kidding, of course, but I got the impression she was only 15 or 16.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #15
keiracaleb

thats coz she was i think, either 16 or 17 summut like that, and to whoever said that sum1 who lets a kid try drugs is scum, i thinkt hats wrong, if a kid wants to then he or she should in my opinion be allowed to. i mean every teen wants to try different things, and i've tried certain soft drugs before just to see what they are like, and ok i've hated them, and so never tried them again, but teens are curious people, and you never get any answers if you don't ask questions, and he wanted to knopw what gear was like and he got his answer, and the character never tried it again.

And did Beckham get given to Louise or did they take him away, and did she go back on gear? because she said that if they took beckham way like they did her charlene then she would never get off gear, but all it shows is her as a hooker? can someone answer that for me please it'd be a great help cheers.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:00 PM   Senior Registered Member #16
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
thats coz she was i think, either 16 or 17 summut like that, and to whoever said that sum1 who lets a kid try drugs is scum, i thinkt hats wrong, if a kid wants to then he or she should in my opinion be allowed to. i mean every teen wants to try different things, and i've tried certain soft drugs before just to see what they are like, and ok i've hated them, and so never tried them again, but teens are curious people, and you never get any answers if you don't ask questions, and he wanted to knopw what gear was like and he got his answer, and the character never tried it again.

And did Beckham get given to Louise or did they take him away, and did she go back on gear? because she said that if they took beckham way like they did her charlene then she would never get off gear, but all it shows is her as a hooker? can someone answer that for me please it'd be a great help cheers.

No, I think that parents are supposed to bring up there children to not do drugs or alcohol. It's bad for them. Or at least listen in school, I'm sure at least one teacher has told his/her students the hardships of drugs, and how messed up you can get from them.
...Either that, or the DARE class I took was a complete waste of time...
Old 04-08-2004, 10:28 PM   First Class Member Officer #17
Sarah
Nice

Quote:
and to whoever said that sum1 who lets a kid try drugs is scum, i thinkt hats wrong, if a kid wants to then he or she should in my opinion be allowed to.
You're opinion is very naive, but you're only 12, so I can understand that. You've tried some drugs? woah...drugs wern't shoved into my face until I was 14... and I still turned them down. I'll never try drugs... you can call me what you like, but you don't need drugs to enjoy life.

Why do you think children should be allowed to try drugs? I think that is outrageous! All drugs do is destroy lives... (excluding ones that save lives.. hmmm. what a contradiction!)
Old 04-08-2004, 10:52 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #18
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
All drugs do is destroy lives... (excluding ones that save lives.. hmmm. what a contradiction!)
Aye...the irony is that Heroin is made out of morphine, a painkiller, which, though it doesn't save lives per se, makes life liveable for many people. In fact the Opium Poppy is a very useful flower, with Opium (the dried milk of the Opium Poppy) providing both Codeine and Morphine, as well as giving rise to the synthetic Heroin substitute Methadone, used to help people wean off of Heroin.

Which, since it forms the subject of the film, brings this back onto TOPIC...Pure...remember? If you wish to discuss drugs generally, start a new thread...

In a desire to actually contribute to the core discussion...Pure...do people feel it ranks up there with the classic heroin films? Trainspotting's always been my personal favourite, and for me Pure wasn't as good, despite a VERY good performance from Keira (could've been better but factoring in her age it's bloody amazing...wonder how she'll be as an alcy in The Jacket).
Old 04-08-2004, 10:56 PM   First Class Member Officer #19
Sarah
Nice

Madness I tell you!

--

On topic. Pure. Good film.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:33 AM   #20
keiracaleb

when i said drugs i meant ciggerettes and alcohol because that comes under drugs. but proper drugs gawd no! i'd never try then, what if you died that day, ok now i see the whole heroin point, but i still don't think louise was scum, she was drugged up, high, and her brain was probably not working so well because of the drugs, so really, lenny is scum because he gave louise gear to make her high, she got addicted, so her brain got all shitted up and what does youre only 12 mean? i'm really mature for my age, when i wa 9, i was the ony person in the class who didn't laugh at sex education. and i just wanted to learn sex education because it's important and tells who what dangers htere are, and stuff. anyways to get back on topic can i felt sorry for louise when she knew beckham would be taken away, keira isa very good cryer, but i hate seeing her cry, it maikes me cry (dunno why, it just does) and (SPOILER WARNING, IS YOU8 HAVEN'T SEEN THE HOLE DO NOT READ ON!)i also cried when she died in the hole, but just grimaced at when the others die. wierd, ir's probably because i admire her so much.