Go fuck yourself M. Night Shyamalon. - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 30-07-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
Kyle_West

Go fuck yourself M. Night Shyamalon.

You have screwed me over for the last time. You fucking ruin a perfectly good movie by trying to add a twist when all you do is humilate yourself. As in all his other films they were good for about an hour. Sixth Sence I never really liked to begin with.....Unbreakable was cool until they were like fucking super heros.......Signs was great until that goofy alien thing showed up.....The Village, ruined in an entirely different way. I will not ruin it but I will tell you what the Trailers Mislead you to see........A DEBACLE! Well, first hour is great. Very eerie which I loved. Spectacular Camera work, and amazing acting. Every 5 or ten minutes something scary would happen...Not bad so far eh? Thats true, just like in all his flicks they are good for an hour. I cannot go anyfurther into detail about this without ruining it, although it has a twist and it is NOT like the commercials. Not a old town in the 1800's, alot more than just the town and woods. This was one of two movies I had been looking foward to (other being King Arthur)......

The following under this is a spoiler stop reading if you dont wanna be pissed.

The town folks create the monsters? They make costumes so that the people wont leave the village. FUCKING STUPID!!! Where is the creatures killing someone? Where is all the horror? Not in this film like you thought it would be. This has about as much horror as Gone with the wind. Shyamalon has mastered the ways of suckering people to see his movie. O yeah, and it is modern time. Just in the woods where no one goes in the village.

Go see the manchurian canidate instead, it does not disapoint
Old 30-07-2004, 10:44 PM   Senior Registered Member #2
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Spelling...

If you're gonna blast someone like that, at least spell his fucking name right!!!

S-H-Y-A-M-A-L-A-N
Old 30-07-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
MedullaPancreas

since when do 16-year-olds care about camera work? :icon_bigg
Old 30-07-2004, 11:15 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
Richard
Dated

I haven't seen any of M. Night's work, so I can't give an opinion on him or his films. All I do know is, his films seem to be successful starting from The Sixth Sense, so I can't say he sucks. From interviews I've read, he seems to be a huge admirer of Alfred Hitchcock, that's probably why his films may have that similar feeling or direction, and he makes cameos. But I can safely say this... he ain't no damn Hitchcock.

He's still a young and upcoming director, so to completely bash his films is just childish to me. I for one never bash any film on the internet, I personally think it's just a waste of time, because I for one couldn't have done any better. The Village may be a big disappointment, but to not expect some kind of twist in the end when the media made it specifically clear there was going to be one...

As of now, I don't have a problem with him. His films are probably great, but he has yet to make a film that interests me.

I'm sorry you wasted your money Kyle (at least you enjoyed some of it), but there's a good side to this... at least I know The Manchurian Candidate is worthy.
Old 30-07-2004, 11:26 PM   #5
Kyle_West

number one, Blue eat shit and die. No body cares taht I had an O instead of A. So dont think you are "owning" me or whatever you good for nothing dolt.

number two, not all sixteen year olds are shit hole cock mongers that try to get taint. I have an interest in film so blow me.

number three, he is a capable director. The first hour of all his movies prove that, but he believes strongly into adding a twist in his films, all four of them had it. But I don't think it benefited in any of them. Although the Sixth Sense has raved about. Unbreakable and Signs didn't get that great reviews. But this one I was excited about and to me he once again disapoints. I stand by my comments earlier.

Manchurian had a D+ in the newspaper and The Village had a B-. O well go see either, I dont care.
Old 30-07-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
Moe

It's like one big happy family here!
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 11:37 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
It's like one big happy family here!
He probably came back from just seeing The Village, that's why he's pissed. Am I right, Kyle? Missed you buddy...

Nothing a good nap & shower won't fix. :err:
Old 31-07-2004, 12:02 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #8
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Calm down kids, lets keep this on topic.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 12:55 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
Spire
InSpire Me

I just saw the Manchurian Candidate, it was dissapointing, but it didn't suck. The story is what you think it is, although I didn't realize it, I knew everything about the story by watching the trailers. It didn't have that much suspense either. Denzel Washington gave a decent performance, it didn't performance, but otehr than that, the film was unremarkable. Another odd thing is that the ending felt like it answered your questions about the plot, but after thinking about it, it really didn't. I don't know, I'm sure it's better than The Village though, I've been hearing bad things about that for over a year on AICN.
Old 31-07-2004, 03:16 AM   #10
alby

The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were good in my opinion. Didn't like Signs at all. :err:
Old 31-07-2004, 03:35 AM   #11
MeggieHoops
Will Flash for Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedullaPancreas
since when do 16-year-olds care about camera work? :icon_bigg
Yeah sorry, that really pissed me off. Grow up. And while you're at it, shut up.

As for the movie, I agree with Kyle West for the most part. The first hour was great - very suspenceful, entertaining, etc...but the 2nd hour was boring and uneventful. I had figured out the "plot twist" pretty early though, and so had everyone else I saw the movie with...so it wasn't really a big shock. Overall I suppose it was a good film, but DEFINETALY not one of M. Shylaman's best.
Old 31-07-2004, 05:19 AM   #12
Kyle_West

yeah I just got home from the movie, I had been looking foward to it for months. It wasnt terrible I guess, looking back on it. Few parts pissed me off, when adrien found the costume.....I wanted to still think there were creatures out there. Not old men scaring children. Lame.

I think they should charge 3.50 for a shymalAn movie (Big A for douche that thinks he teaches english) Because he does amazing for half the movie, but then tries to shock you but you really dont give a rats ass. O well, the lead chick stole the show. I read somewhere that she is Ron Howard's daughter. Great actress.

6.5/10

first hour 9/10
second hour 4/10
Old 31-07-2004, 06:11 AM   Officer #13
Renegade
Stock Boy

This film never appealed to me. The whole concept seemed kinda iffy. I've read some critic's reviews and most have similar thoughts as Kyle: good beginning, terrible ending. It's a shame because I enjoyed Signs and The Sixth Sense. Maybe this guy was so desperate to get a movie out that he didn't thoroughly think out a complete script...oh well, his loss. Right then, I guess I'll pass on this movie.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #14
KRev

One's "analysis" of art would be much more convincing if the foul langauge and frenetic ravings were kept inside one's head.

Try this: Since you're so into film criticism, provide us all with a more descriptive, objective, constructive analysis.

Obviously, given the title of your thread, the suggested wasn't your purpose; nevertheless...

Since I am an M. Night fan, and was impressed with Village--despite its minor flaws (if indeed they are)--I'd like to see you evaulate, not speculate.

Your approach, at least in my ears, sounds more like the ravings of a menstrual teenager upset 'cause her parents made her watch a documentary rather than the new romcom named after some pop princess's latest chart topper. That instead of the film connoisseur that you perceive yourself to be.
KRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 07:57 AM   Officer #15
mufiman
Officer

just got back from this movie...and it was a huge letdown. M. night relies too much on the twist ending, and this time, it wasnt a great twist. it was illogical, stupid and just lame. totally agree with kyle on this. the beginning was good, and the last hour or so went downhill. total letdown. sixth sense was a good movie, kept you hooked and was suspenseful the whole way through, and its ending helped the movie even more. the village had a great first half, and then.....they told you what was really going on, before the other twist. by the time they got back to the last twist, the movie was already ruined and you already knew what was going to happen. it wasnt bad because there wasnt enough horror and suspense though. the whole idea of the village was stupid.

id give it a 7/10, only because the first half was pretty good.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 06:25 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #16
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Kyle, you're an idiot, and if you reply to that statement with one of your smart-ass comments, I promise you you will regret it. Next time you see a movie on the very fist day it comes out, why don't you start a discussion thread about it instead of posting random crap about why you hated it and why you thought it was bad like your opinion is *the* opinion.

Now, in *my* opinion, the Village was not one of his best, no, but it was still pretty good. Ron Howard's daughter was impressive I thought.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 06:29 PM   First Class Member Officer #17
Sarah
Nice

I haven't seen The Village yet, so I'm not even going to bother to even read this thread, because I don't trust you lot not to let spoilers out.

I've loved his last 3 films to death. I loved The Sixth Sense, I loved Unbreakable and I LOVED, YES, LOVED Signs. I don't know why so many people hate that film, its f**king fantastic.

I can't wait to see The Village, and, until I do, I'm staying out of here!
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 11:55 PM   #18
MC117

someone confirm that there are no spoilers in that post then i'll read it
Old 31-07-2004, 11:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #19
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC117
someone confirm that there are no spoilers in that post then i'll read it
There is a spoiler, probably the biggest one anyone can give away. Don't read it.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:42 AM   #20
MedullaPancreas

for Apoggy...