2004 US Presidential Election - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

View Poll Results: America's Next President/Vice-President
George W. Bush/Dick Cheney 15 55.56%
John Kerry/John Edwards 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-07-2004, 12:50 AM   Officer #1
Renegade
Stock Boy

2004 US Presidential Election

Time to elect America's president for the next 4 years. Some of you Britons, Aussies, and even fellow Americans might be thinking "I don't give a sh*t about America! The hell with them and their f*ckin country!" Well nonetheless, an election is at hand and voting is essential. Who'd you vote for?

Democrat John Kerry:
Healthcare: $1000 cut on family premiums; Erase health disparities that persist along racial and economic lines, Ensure people with HIV and AIDS are medically treated, End discrimination against disabled and mentally ill, Ensure equal treatment for mentally ill in our health system.
National Security: Form global alliances; Transform military to better address threats of terrorism; Ensure the military is sufficiently equipped to meet strategic missions; Liberate US from it's dependance of middleast oil
Economy/Occupations: Cut taxes for businesses that create jobs in America instead of moving them overseas; Middle-class taxes will be cut; 99% of Americans and businesses will receive a tax cut

Republican George Bush

Healthcareigned legislation to make prescription drug coverage available to 40million seniors and those with disabilities through Medicare;
Access to health care has been extended to 3 million additional Americans;The trade bill provides a tax credit to help workers who lose their jobs due to international trade obtain health insurance coverage.
National Security:Proposed $379.9 billion for the Department of Defense, increasing defense spending by $15.3 billion; Military pay increases from 2 to 6.25%, targeted by rank and years of service; Committed to developing effective missile defenses based on the best available technologies to defend the US and its allies; Formed a Terrorist Threat Integration Center analyze all-source information related to terrorism; Aircraft, Vehicles, and Weaponry are well-funded
Economy/Occupations: "Jobs & Growth" Bill provided 1.4million with new jobs;Proposed more than $500 million for his "Jobs for the 21st Century" initiative to help prepare workers to take advantage of the better skilled, higher-paying jobs of the future.

Ofcourse there is much more things to take into account but this is just an idea of what their plans are for America's future. VOTE.

Last edited by Renegade; 28-07-2004 at 01:09 AM.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 03:01 AM   #2
KRev

Does it ever matter what they say they're going to do?

They're all liars.
KRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 03:25 AM   Senior Registered Member #3
Richard
Dated

From the reading, both of them have good plans for the future. But I'm still too young to vote, and my parents could care less. So I guess it doesn't matter to me. What is the minimum age for which a person can vote? I haven't been paying attention to Rock The Vote, at all.

If I had to choose, it would be Kerry. Reasons unknown, I want a change.
Old 28-07-2004, 03:39 AM   Officer #4
Renegade
Stock Boy

Eek! The Vice President is Dick not Don...but who cares...he never did much anyway. He's Heart Attack-prone if I'm not mistaken.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
spitinthacoola

If I could vote I would have to go with someone besides those two. Man Bush is stupid and Kerry seems so fake to me, but then again he is running for President. I'd go for whoever is not Bush or Kerry.
Old 28-07-2004, 08:32 AM   #6
alby

The US presidential election is about picking the better of lesser men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRev
Does it ever matter what they say they're going to do?

They're all liars.
Amen to that.
Old 28-07-2004, 11:37 AM   #7
MarkOB

As a Conservative I would probably vote for Bush no matter what. But I am very concerned sometimes by the arrogance his administration has shown in foreign affairs. But I would probably be equally concerned by the weakness that a Kerry administration might show.

The fact is that the terrorists WILL NOT calm down and start to reconcile their differences if Kerry is elected. America could pull her troops and influence out of Saudi Arabia, give the Palestinians their own state and do whatever else al-Qaeda wants.

The fact remains that the terrorists hate what the west is.

Whilst that is the case I would prefer the leader of the free world to be a man who does not shirk in the face of adversity.
MarkOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 11:48 AM   First Class Member Officer #8
Sarah
Nice

I'm not American, and I'm sure I could say some nasty things, but I won't. Now, if I were over there, I would vote for anyone except Bush.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #9
MarkOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm not American, and I'm sure I could say some nasty things, but I won't. Now, if I were over there, I would vote for anyone except Bush.

I suppose this happens to most presidents in their re-election campaign. If they pursue one or two unpopular policies in their first term, you get some of the middle-ground starting something of a 'Anyone But _____' campaign.
MarkOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 11:59 AM   First Class Member Officer #10
Sarah
Nice

Then again, its not for me to say. I don't know enough about your elections to judge, so I say vote for whoever you want.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 12:12 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #11
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I always love when the ask folks from the "Anybody But Bush" crowd a question. It's fun to watch them stammer and stutter through an answer that contains more "likes" and "ums" than two Valley Girls with a twelve-pack and a handful of barbituates.
Old 28-07-2004, 04:21 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #12
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad
I always love when the ask folks from the "Anybody But Bush" crowd a question. It's fun to watch them stammer and stutter through an answer that contains more "likes" and "ums" than two Valley Girls with a twelve-pack and a handful of barbituates.
Sadly most of them can't reason their argument.

Bush has been the right man at the right time...I didn't like him when he was elected byt like Blair both have earnt my respect by how they handled Iraq. What Mark said was true...can't pacify terrorists...war is the only way to stop war.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 05:56 PM   #13
IeatDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad
This has nothing to do with politics but 32? Don't you think you're a little too old for a Keira Knightley forum. :icon_err:
Old 28-07-2004, 06:02 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #14
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

No.

I wandered in looking for a filmography, and stayed for the stimulating conversation. That's the beauty of internet bulletin boards.
Would it make you feel better if I lied and said I was 18?
Old 28-07-2004, 08:16 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Bush...

This upcoming election will be the first in which I will vote. I can relate to Bush because he was the governor of Texas (my state) before he became president. He really reached out the hispanic voters when he was here by becoming fluent in Spanish (as I am). I really think Bush has locked up the Hispanic vote by concentrating his efforts toward them. He will do fine in Texas, as well as the republican states. Keep in mind, though, that he didn't win by a landslide in 2000. This one may be even closer. Plus, let's face it...there won't be another Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, or Roosevelt for awhile. I don't think there is a candidate alive now with the possibility of becoming one of the great presidents.
Dyce_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 02:28 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #16
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

As you can see my Rock the Vote avatar. Doesn't matter who you vote for, just vote. I really wish I was able to vote in this election, but I won't be 18 (I have to wait until March). Though the thought of either of them in the White House for the next four years doesn't thrill me, if I could vote, it would be for Bush. I dispise Kerry. I would vote for....Tom Green....before I voted for Kerry.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 02:39 AM   Senior Registered Member #17
Spire
InSpire Me

I'm voting Bush because I'm conservative.
Old 29-07-2004, 06:33 AM   #18
alby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
Even Pat Buchanan? I'd sure hope not.
Old 29-07-2004, 01:24 PM   Senior Registered Member #19
DefyingGravity

Dyce_Blue, Abraham Lincoln was a tyrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Sadly most of them can't reason their argument.

Bush has been the right man at the right time...I didn't like him when he was elected byt like Blair both have earnt my respect by how they handled Iraq. What Mark said was true...can't pacify terrorists...war is the only way to stop war.
What Bush was trying to do is stop TERRORISM--there's a difference. Fighting terrorism with terrorism is pointless.

I don't like Bush. Trying to AMEND the Constitution, even when he was overruled by the Supreme Court, he won't give up. There is separation of church and state, and he doesn't seem to know what that means. For the first time, he is going to amend the Constitution by DENYING rights to Americans. Spitting in the face of the Constitution is Bush's idea of patriotism(I really don't think Kerry is any better... they both voted for the Patriot Act, ugh).

If I was old enough to vote.... I don't know who I would vote for, if at all. I think they're all the same.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/pr...TICLE_ID=39078

WorldNetDaily is not a liberal news site -- it's a conservative news site. Even political conservatives are sounding the alarm with regards to some of Bush's scary policies. This policy of screening the population for "mental illness" and requiring the administration of drugs has overtones of the old Soviet Russia, when political opponents of premiers could be declared "mentally ill" and forcibly given drugs to keep them sedated and kept in mental facilities. Hitler did the same thing. A great way to get rid of political opponents. Do we want our government to require us to take drugs against our will? That's what something like this would lead to.

I sure hope Kerry doesn't support this. :icon_err:

Last edited by DefyingGravity; 29-07-2004 at 01:50 PM.
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 08:30 PM   Officer #20
Mags
Officer

Weeeee... (You ready for this Hazzle?)

My vote (I'm old enough to make it, and I WILL make it) is going to the Kerry/Edwards campaign. Now is a time when I fear that our country needs change more than anything, but that's not why I support these candidates. I believe that ours is a country that does have a great responsibility and a huge reputation to live up to in our role to the rest of the world. We have been considered a superpower for decades, but I feel that often that power has been squandered and misspent. We are a country that controls much of what affects the rest of the world, and I sincerely believe that we have not used that power wisely or effectively for quite a long time.

My reasons for not voting for Bush are many, but even aside from the changes I think our country needs to make, I don't agree with his politics. I am very much a democrat. I do believe in a larger government if it finally means that we are able to support, with ease, EVERY ONE of our citizens. Bush may say leave no child behind, but they're being left behind everyday, as are American citizens of all ages. Our social services do so much less than they need to that they have become huge drains on the economy instead of boosting it in a way they would were they ever to become successful. Institutions like Welfare, Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security are grossly underfunded and do not provide enough for the millions of people who require their services. It is incredibily difficult to maintain any semblance of a good life on what the current minimum wage is, requiring people making it to often work two or more jobs, forcing them to leave their children in substandard day care because it is all they can afford. We do need changes in this country. Changes in the way we treat each and every American living here.

As for basic civil rights...well, there are so many arguments. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if a man loves a man, or a woman loves a woman, or a man loves a woman. It is in NO way the government's responsibility to dictate which love is the acceptable love. It is not the government's responsibility to tell me what I should do with my body, including a pregnancy residing in it. It is the responsibility of the government to ensure that EACH and every citizen is treated equally, without exception.

I don't have a problem with the wealthy. If you were industrious enough to make your fortune, or lucky enough to be born knowing your finances would always be sound, I'm not going to dislike you on those grounds. But I do not believe that you should be favoured among the rest of the country with tax breaks, incentives, relaxed standards. Every American shoudl be held to the same standards, and every American should have available to him or her the resources they need to make something of themselves...including a college education. If a student wants to, he should NEVER not be able to go to school because he doesn't have enough money. I find that unacceptable. I understand that money for social welfare has to come from somewhere, but once our social programs become effective, they will stimulate the economy with a better workforce and more money being pumped in.

I do feel that a strong military is necessary, and that our tax dollars should fund that as well, but I don't ever believe that our armed forces should be used as a tool in a personal agenda. I don't really want to get into my thoughts on the War in Iraq, but I don't believe our troops were sent there for good reasons. The war may have had a few desired effects, but I'm not sure that they equal the prices paid by American soldiers and their families.

What I believe this country needs most is responsibility, sound judgment, strong character, and a desire to service this country to the best of one's ability. That is what is required by a position like that of President, the greatest position in our government. The position that allows one to do the very most for their country. It may be a total cliche to say it, but JFK had it right. "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." I feel Bush has his own personal agenda, but that John Kerry more sincerely wants to better this country. And that's why he gets my vote.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote