What Is Your Opinion Of The Royal Family? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 27-07-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Stormbringer

What Is Your Opinion Of The Royal Family?

I don't live in England, but I was wondering what other people's opinion of the Royal family is.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 12:15 PM   First Class Member Officer #2
Sarah
Nice

Most people seem to get stressed about it and say ''I hate the royal family''. But I actually love the royal family. They do naff all and get paid. They live in nice houses, sorry mansions, and get treated like, well, royalty.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who marries into the royal family, because if you leave, you'll probably get murdered.

Everything in the royal family is just one big conspiracy. But I like them. I mean, jesus, if we didn't have a royal family, we'd have to have a president, and I really really really don't want that.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 12:39 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #3
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Don't care.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
MarkOB

The royal family is the finest facet of our race. It has lasted for well over one millenium and still serves as a symbol of resilience and defiance. I don't know what it is that makes all these people want the leader of their whole nation to be a politician whose only concern is to be elected again in a few years' time.

For Britain especially to dump the monarchy for a republic, we would be pandering to all those who just want to look like everyone else.

Our monarchy is special and it makes us unique. We have no wish just to throw our identity away into the den of left-wing republican lions.
MarkOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 01:07 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #5
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOB
The royal family is the finest facet of our race. It has lasted for well over one millenium and still serves as a symbol of resilience and defiance.
That is the funniest thing I've heard in weeks.
Old 27-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
MarkOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula
That is the funniest thing I've heard in weeks.
Oh, don't worry, I've got more in me yet!
Old 27-07-2004, 02:05 PM   First Class Member Officer #7
Sarah
Nice

Quote:
The royal family is the finest facet of our race. It has lasted for well over one millenium.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the royal family begin in 1066? Thats not a millenium yet.
Old 27-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #8
MarkOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the royal family begin in 1066? Thats not a millenium yet.
If we're being strict we've had kings and queens since well before that. Before the Normans there was the House of Wessex. That takes us back to at least the early years of the ninth century. And you could even go well before that when you consider the rulers of the different kingdoms in the country.

Look at King Arthur, for example!!
Old 27-07-2004, 02:32 PM   First Class Member Officer #9
Sarah
Nice

Quote:
If we're being strict we've had kings and queens since well before that. Before the Normans there was the House of Wessex. That takes us back to at least the early years of the ninth century. And you could even go well before that when you consider the rulers of the different kingdoms in the country.

Look at King Arthur, for example!!
King Arthur wasn't real... not really real.
Old 27-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
MarkOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
King Arthur wasn't real... not really real.
That's why I put the little smiley guy!
Old 27-07-2004, 03:28 PM   #11
ChocolateMoose

Quote:
Our monarchy is special and it makes us unique. We have no wish just to throw our identity away into the den of left-wing republican lions.
Yes!!! I love the Royal Family for that very reason. Its a great symbol of the country and has exisited for a long, long time. We can't just abolish it. Its like the Euro/Pound. Just like the pound, our monachy makes us individual and stand out.

And I definatly, do not want a president.

Also, what would happen if we stopped having a Royal Family? I mean, what would the family do?

READ my reviews of films, theatre and concerts!
VOTE in the poll - Who has the most influence on which films you see at the cinema?
INVENT a caption - This months picture comes from Equilibrium!
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 05:07 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #12
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

You're right, it is just like the Euro/Pound thing accept we haven't adopted the Euro but we have taken on some European monarchs. May I present for your delectmant: The Norman Conquest (from Normandy, France!), The House Of Orange (from Holland), The House of Brunswick (from Hanover which is in modern Germany), The House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (from Germany, again) and everyones favourite ruling family, The House of Windsor (from Germany, yet again).

This combined with all matter of intra-European royal copulation and matrimony has led us to have a long and distinguished line of monarchs who I would consider more European than British. It's alright to be proud, just make sure you are proud of the right thing for the right reasons.
Old 27-07-2004, 05:39 PM   #13
MarkOB

Quote:
You're right, it is just like the Euro/Pound thing accept we haven't adopted the Euro but we have taken on some European monarchs. May I present for your delectmant: The Norman Conquest (from Normandy, France!), The House Of Orange (from Holland), The House of Brunswick (from Hanover which is in modern Germany), The House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (from Germany, again) and everyones favourite ruling family, The House of Windsor (from Germany, yet again).

This combined with all matter of intra-European royal copulation and matrimony has led us to have a long and distinguished line of monarchs who I would consider more European than British. It's alright to be proud, just make sure you are proud of the right thing for the right reasons.
So is this an argument for anti-European xenophobia?

It's all well and good talking about the history of British monarch families. Even true Anglo-Saxons have a bit of the Celt, the German Saxon, the Danish Jute and the Norman French. Why do people always come back to this silly point when they hear arguments about British national identity?
Old 27-07-2004, 05:46 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #14
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

My argument is for us to embrace our European identity. I don't see national pride as a reason for keeping an outdated institution. I would prefer to see our nation headed by someone who has achieved something in their life rather than sitting around leeching of the public.
Old 27-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #15
MarkOB

Quote:
My argument is for us to embrace our European identity. I don't see national pride as a reason for keeping an outdated institution. I would prefer to see our nation headed by someone who has achieved something in their life rather than sitting around leeching of the public.
Why do we always feel an impulse to embrace a new identity? We used to feel a very special local identity, then a regional identity. Now we feel a kind of national identity. Soon we'll be feeling a continental idea. And where next? Why do we always have to go looking for something new to cuddle up to?

And how has the Queen achieved nothing in her life? I agree it's a little unfair that someone is head of state because of their birth. But I'd rather our head of state was born that way than made their way there through dodgy deals and sleaze.

It's not as though the monarch wields any real power anyway. The monarch is a symbol, not a supervisor!

Why do we have to go trying to change who we are all the time?
Old 27-07-2004, 06:03 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #16
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

It's is called bettering yourself.
Old 27-07-2004, 06:11 PM   #17
MarkOB

Quote:
It's is called bettering yourself.
'Bettering' implies you're getting better.
Old 27-07-2004, 06:21 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #18
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Yep, and getting rid of an outdated aspect of our governance and embrassing a larger identity is a good thing. We don't have to stop being proud of our local, regional and national heritage but we can be proud of being European aswell.
As for the matter of her only being a symbolic ruler, that is true to a degree but she still retains some power (to delay if nothing else) and if we must have a symbol I would prefer it be symbolic of something other than the fact we can't be bothered to change things.
Old 27-07-2004, 06:41 PM   Senior Registered Member #19
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Question Questions...

This is something that I have never been sure about. Does the royal family have any real power to affect the government? Can the queen make big decisions and whatnot? Also, who is the heir to the throne, is it Charles or William?
Dyce_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 06:44 PM   First Class Member Officer #20
Sarah
Nice

Charles, it goes in order. And they can make some decisions, the Queen recently banned a newspaper from revealing information about Buckingham palace or whatever it was.