Books - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 22-06-2004, 03:58 AM   Senior Registered Member #1
Ashley

Books

This was on the last forum and I though tit was a good thread, I'm always looking for new books to read. So post what books you are reading/have read/want to read here!

Right now I'm still reading The Tao of Pooh. This book rocks, I encourage everyone who wants to think deeper to read it.
Another book I read is The Path To Tranquility by The Dalai Lama. It's a daily type thing where you read a page a day and reflect on what is said. Helps a lot with stress.
Old 22-06-2004, 09:50 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #2
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

I haven't read a book in years, I just sorta stopped. If you could tell me one book to read what would it be and why?
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 10:26 AM   #3
Vertical Vortex

My last novel book was LOTR trilogy

now i only read 'The art of' lotr, shrek, Final Fantasy and stuff like that. Very intresting.
Old 22-06-2004, 11:14 AM   Senior Registered Member #4
gracie
Goddess

well clearly i need to pick up the clinton bio, all 957 pgs of it. yeah thats important. um my favorite book are the belljar and brave new world. the last thing i read was who's afraid of virginia woolf and reread hedda gabler, love that play

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 11:52 AM   Senior Registered Member #5
ryan

i've been thinking about picking up a copy of 'the once and future king' lately.
perhaps i can convince myself to actually read something.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
Vertical Vortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess
One of my favourite book's has to be "Count of Monte Cristo" which I first read at age of 11, along with "war and peace" and many others. These days I'm more into sci fi and fantasy books, especially Robin Hobb, Cecilia Dart Thornton and Robert Newcomb, but Count of Monte Cristo is still the best. Revenge, poisonings, intrigue!

I have just bought and started to read “Dude Where’s My Country?” by Michael Moore, he makes me INTRESTED in politics and the state of the world! You either love it or hate it! Well, I love it!).
Here are a few pages from Amazon with editorial reviews
Never read the book, but have seen the movie "count of monte cristo'. Really loved it, a beautifull flick.
I love Michael Moore's documantairys, and his serie the Awfull Truth (ore something) with pistol pete
Old 22-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Newell4keira

I am currently starting my 1st book for years and i chose LOTR, so can anyone tell me how it compares to the film?
Newell4keira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 04:32 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Waaaaay better than the film. With a book you can go much more in depth with detail than in a film. So I think you'll enjoy the books Newell.

The book I'm reading right now is ''East of Eden'' by Steinbeck. It's a classic, and it's a very beautiful book. After that I'm interested in reading "Angeles and Demons" by Dan Brown because I'd like to read more of his work after reading The Da Vinci Code.

"The Great Gatsby" by F.Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favorite books and I was lucky to be able to study it in school. It was nice going into discussions about the plot/literary elements/characters and everything about the book.
Old 22-06-2004, 04:35 PM   Senior Registered Member #9
Elijahfan

i'm readind the davinci code again. half way through cold mountain. i have school reading to do too. started tale of two cities...so many to read though, they're all classics that i though were important to just read

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 05:22 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #10
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I read a lot during the summer, so I've already read a few and plan on reading more books in the next few weeks. Already I've read:
King Arthur (the novelization of the upcoming film)
Pride and Prejudice
Girl With a Pearl Earring (for the umpteenth time)

I am currently reading:
Queen Bees & Wannabes

And I plan on reading:
Othello
The Da Vinci Code (Especially now that I've been to The Louvre)
Bill Clinton's memiors
countless screenwriting books
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 08:20 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie
well clearly i need to pick up the clinton bio, all 957 pgs of it. yeah thats important. um my favorite book are the belljar and brave new world. the last thing i read was who's afraid of virginia woolf and reread hedda gabler, love that play

The Belljar! Thank you! I've been meaning to go borrow that from the library. I was told to read that before I watch Sylvia.

On another book note, for anyone who is interested in the Holocaust, Night is a good book. Very easy read, and an extremely informative narrative from someone who lived through it.

Last edited by Ashley; 22-06-2004 at 08:36 PM.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 08:31 PM   #12
wee me

one of my fave books eva is pride and prejudice and also freefall! they really good, and completly dif.
iv been meanin 2 read the belljar for ages 2!! so thanx gracie!
xxx
******************6th member of Keira Knightleyz Posse******************
wee me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 09:54 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #13
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

I'm going to lower the tone (considering everyone seems to have gone all serious and classic) and suggest anything from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

I myself would recommend The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic (read both as they're part 1 and part 2 of the same story) out of the entire series as it's best read in order and they're the first two. It's a rather long series, but they're the only books that have ever made me piss myself laughing out loud on the train. You would not believe the odd looks I got.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #14
Mistikle

well i read when i can... which isn't as much as i really wanna...
at the moment i'm readin 'Looking For Alibrandi'... but i'm readin that for skool
it's alright... there was a movie made on it... which i've heard that it isn't as good as the book
but then are movies as good as the books??
Mistikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 03:39 PM   First Class Member Officer #15
Sarah
Nice

I'm reading Educating Rita... it is a play, but still a book.

I'm also reading a book called Hunting Unicorns about a stuck-up American journalist. and an alcoholic Englishman
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 03:49 PM   Senior Registered Member #16
Pete
Monty

heh following on from hazzle - gotta recommend "Mort" by Pratchett....

just finished The Beach by Alex Garland - thoroughly good read.....and i must be one of the few who hasnt seen the film - but ive heard the book is much better!

Im also a fan of Matthew Reilly - Contest/Icestation series - if ya like action books then these are well worth checking out...

Recently found a book called "Jim Giraffe" by Daren King, its about a ghost giraffe called jim who haunts the main character of the book..... its kinda random but very funny read!
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 04:33 PM   Officer #17
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi

i read the most of the time educational books,
the last non educational book i read was "Inside the sky. A Meditation on flight" from William Langewiesche.
But i going to read the harry potter books on englisch to train my english
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 09:35 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #18
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
heh following on from hazzle - gotta recommend "Mort" by Pratchett....

just finished The Beach by Alex Garland - thoroughly good read.....and i must be one of the few who hasnt seen the film - but ive heard the book is much better!
Read the book, seen the film...book is certainly better, but the film isn't bad...Virginie Ledoyen can save any movie

On the Pratchett theme, I personally prefer Small Gods...will make you rethink any views you have on religion, mark my words. Mort is superb, to reiterate...and for those Aussie people specifically, The Last Continent is superb and the island of XXXX will seem rather familiar... (that said, non-Aussies will enjoy it too)
Old 28-06-2004, 12:52 AM   Senior Registered Member #19
Pygmalion
Pissed

I like Small Gods too but my FAVOURITE Terry Pratchett would have to be Pyramids because I like the way he draws parallels between Egypt and Djelibaybe-same principal with The Last Continent.

At the moment I'm reading "The Praise Singer" by Mary Renault so I can get my head around the damn Peisistratid tyranny in Greece before my ancient history exams.

I'm supposed to be reading my set novel for english "In the skin of a lion" by michael ondaache (scuse spelling) but I keep getting sidetracked ie: reading trashy fantasy novels just for some reading I don't have to concentrate in.

a REALLY good book is Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I love it because of the language he invented just for the story eg: we tolchocked the starry old veck till we saw the red krovvy like flowing.-but the movie kind of sucks.
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 03:18 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #20
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

I'm loving the Pratchett love...people of good taste I see