Screenwriting - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 25-07-2004, 11:25 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #1
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Screenwriting

It seems that a couple of threads mentioning specific screenplays have come up in the gallery and so forth, but since we seem to have a few screenwriters here, I thought maybe we should start a thread about it. Tell about your current project (as vaguely or detailed as you want), ask questions, whatever. I just know I'm willing to talk about screenwriting a lot, so this thread could become useful.

As a side note, I was debating on whether to post this here or in the gallery. If it belongs in the gallery, I apologize and can someone please move it there?

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 11:53 PM   #2
KRev

Yeah. I'm into that. But like of us, I'm a bit reserved when it comes to sharing the details of my current projects--and there are many.

But... I guess... If you show me yours, I'll show you mine...
KRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 11:55 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #3
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I'm not asking you to detail your entire project. I'm not stupid.

Does most everyone here just write for fun, or does anyone actively try and sell their work?

Check out my blog:
Old 25-07-2004, 11:58 PM   #4
KRev

If I'd ever finish a project, I'd try to sell it.

Nevertheless, I have a couple short films in the works that I have decided--if they ever get written--to produce and film myself. Maybe even star.
KRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 12:03 AM   Senior Registered Member #5
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

My screenplay is for a full-length motion picture, but...no one else knows about this.
Dyce_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 12:05 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #6
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Meaning what? You've made a whole thread announcing it

Check out my blog:
Old 26-07-2004, 12:07 AM   Senior Registered Member #7
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

haha

I guess that is right, but no one ever responds to my posts so not many actually know about it.
Old 26-07-2004, 12:15 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #8
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

What genres do you people prefer to write? (If you have any other attempts at forming conversation, please post).

I've tried to write one of each of the major genre. I have three romantic comedies, a science fiction (well, vampires), heist (it's crap though), fish out of water story (I love this one - I'm gonna rewrite and pitch to Nicole Ritchie), but my favorite is character driven dramas, which is what I'm working on right now. I've done the characterizations, 3x5 cards, treatment, etc., but I stopped there while I finish writing my book. Once I'm done with that, I'll start on the actual dialogue.

Check out my blog:
Old 26-07-2004, 04:22 AM   #9
IeatDogs

This isn't an add or anything but if you are going to write screenplays I suggest you buy "Movie Magic Screenwriter". In order for you screenplays to be read by agents it has to be in a specific format or it will not be read. I have the program and it makes it so much easier to write. Also go to WWW.newyorkscreenwriter.com because it has a list of companies who are running contests such as ABC/Disney Talent, Sundance, Nichol Fellowship, and Warner Brothers. The contests offer jobs, prize money and financing to get your movie made.
Old 26-07-2004, 05:21 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #10
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Thanks for the link, IeatDogs, I had never seen that one. Movie Magic is good, but I prefer Final Draft. I have both, but mostly use the latter.

Check out my blog:
Old 26-07-2004, 12:14 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #11
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

How much is Final Draft?
I have summaries for a couple of things written, and have worked out a little bit of the dialogue...mainly ideas that have popped into my head.
One is a modern romance...sort of. The idea is for a more dialogue driven story. This one is the one I am currently working on.
The other is a historical drama, set against the backdrop of the North African/Italian/Mediterranean theater of operation in WWII.
My biggest problem has always been staying focused on a single project.
Old 26-07-2004, 06:47 PM   Senior Registered Member #12
Richard
Dated

I'd never sell my work, it's too good. :err:

I'm actually starting to write a short story titled "Video 7". It's about a group of friends who work at a video store (actually it's one guy, but his friends come over and hang out). Eventually, annoying people will come in and rent videos. Lots of dialogue will be shared. The premise of the story is about a black tape without any labels on it, stuffed away on the video shelf behind the counter. Rather than the videos behind the box like blockbuster, customers must take a number tab hanging nailed under the box when they browse the selections. Sometime during the story, one of the friends realize that there's a jump between videos on the shelf. 58... 59... 60... 62. Tape 61 is missing, but it's behind the counter. Eventually, one of the friends questions what could be on the mystery tape, whenever they try to view it, they get interrupted and forgot about it. Until the end, when it's finally revealed.

A stupid story about working in a video store in high school. At the moment, I only wrote four sentences.
Old 26-07-2004, 06:50 PM   #13
jadie

Good storyline Richard.
Old 26-07-2004, 07:38 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #14
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Final Draft is about $400 (what I paid for it at least). I've seen it available for tons of different prices though...you just have to look around.

Check out my blog:
Old 26-07-2004, 09:40 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Question About screenplaying...

I assume that geographical accuracy is quite integral to completing a successful project. (This may be very important to hasselbrad's script, for instance). But I have a geographical question myself...

Do people from Wales have the same accent as those from England? Also, are any whales ever spotted off the coast of Cardiff, Wales. In my script, my dumb American self tries to make Keira laugh with a horrible joke about whales.

I assume that there are no whales in that channel, because it eventually turns into the Avon river. I doubt there are whales anywhere near Stratford on the Avon, where Shakespeare was born. But just in case, is anyone sure?
Old 26-07-2004, 09:55 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #16
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I have no idea about Wales/Whales...but you're right as far as research. Before the internet, you could probably get away with inaccuracies as far as operations/squadrons etc. but nowadays, too many people get on boards and bitch about the inaccuracy. I've been doing quite a bit of research on the North African/Mediterranean theater in WWII.

The real pet project though is the "modern romance". It's a little off center and deals more with expectations vs. reality, etc. It's really kind of hard to explain right now.

Kelsey,
$400's a little steep right now. I bought a book with the basic format, so looks like Word for me right now. Thanks for your advice, though. I may look on e-bay.
Old 27-07-2004, 12:10 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #17
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Buying a book is good. I used that as a guide and just fixed the margins on Word and was using that for a long time. It works well as long as you're careful.

And I also don't know about the Wales and whales thing. Hopefully someone who knows is lurking on this topic.

Check out my blog:
Old 27-07-2004, 12:36 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #18
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

No, people from Wales sound RADICALLY different from those from England, in the main...trust me I can spot most Welsh accents a mile off. Heck most accents in England are different...I can spot a Brummie (Birmingham) accent a mile off too...or scouser (Liverpool)...or most accents.

Spotting accents from within London is a little harder, but still doable.

Oh, and I doubt there are Whales in the Irish Sea. Aren't they Ocean-dwelling animals?
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 12:44 AM   Senior Registered Member #19
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Accents...

I'm sure that Americans won't even notice, but what if Keira were to play a Welsh girl? Would the British audience know the difference, and would they mind?
Old 27-07-2004, 12:53 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #20
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce_Blue
I'm sure that Americans won't even notice, but what if Keira were to play a Welsh girl? Would the British audience know the difference, and would they mind?
We'd know, probably, and no, we probably wouldn't mind. Then again, I'm not all British people.

But this is veering away from the topic. Stop. Now. Please.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote