Other Films About King Arthur - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 26-07-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
Stormbringer

Other Films About King Arthur

I was curious if anyone has seen the films EXCALIBUR or MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL. I love Keira, but I think these two films are way better and more entertaining than the current Arthur film. In the case of EXCALIBUR, the story is given a more adult touch(lots of graphic violence in the film as well as nudity/sex). Plus, the cinematography was very beautiful. In the case of MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL, this film never ceases to crack me up. There are so many weird and funny moments in it that you have to see it to believe it.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 10:03 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #2
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Ages ago, but it's been so long I can scarcely remember. I keep meaning to pick up the "Holy Grail" on DVD.
This is sort of unrelated, but this weekend, while in Atlanta visiting my daughter, I saw an ad for a play about King Arthur. I can't remember if it was simply King Arthur or Excalibur, but it starred Robert Goulet...and I believe was playing at the Fox. I found this hard to believe, because the little bit they showed looked like horrible dinner theatre. It looked absolutely atrocious. Bad costumes and worse acting.
Old 26-07-2004, 10:22 PM   Senior Registered Member #3
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Ive seen excailbur and monty python's holy grail, and i prefer King Arthur, i really really like the new version of King Arthur, partly cos keira is in it, but i just really like how the characters are played out in the movie.
Old 27-07-2004, 06:42 AM   #4
alby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer
I was curious if anyone has seen the films EXCALIBUR or MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL. I love Keira, but I think these two films are way better and more entertaining than the current Arthur film. In the case of EXCALIBUR, the story is given a more adult touch(lots of graphic violence in the film as well as nudity/sex). Plus, the cinematography was very beautiful. In the case of MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL, this film never ceases to crack me up. There are so many weird and funny moments in it that you have to see it to believe it.
Monty Python's great. Much better than Excalibur in my opinion.
Old 28-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
Nick

Monte Python and the Holy Grail was great but Excalibur was really cheesy. The special effects sucked and the acting was even worse, it was clearly very low budget. Another shitty King Arthur movie was First Knight. Although it had Sean Connery in it I just don't think Richard Gere was the right choice for Lancelot. He's too much of a pretty boy to be portraying a medieval character. So really I don't think there are very many good King Arthur movies.
I'd say Hollywood finally got it right with this new one though. I thought it was pretty good, and very interesting considering it's a little bit more of a realistic take on the legend rather than having magic and dragons and all of that sort of thing.
Although this is off topic I just thought I'd tell those people who thought Monte Python and the Holy Grail was good you should go see the Life of Brian and the Meaning of Life if you haven't already. They're both just as hilarious as the Holy Grail.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 12:02 PM   #6
Stormbringer

I will say and admit that indeed there were cheesy parts and some really awful dialogue in EXCALIBUR, but I still enjoyed it more than the current Arthur film. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm glad you recommended the other Monty Python films LIFE OF BRIAN and THE MEANING OF LIFE. THE MEANING OF LIFE has the grossest and funniest scene I ever saw^_^!
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2004, 02:27 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
frodo1511
Pin Dick

My list for King Arthur films:
3. Excalibur-never really got into the story/plot too much, effects were bad, and acting was terrible.
2. Monty Pythor and the Quest for the Holy Grail-rankss up there with Men in Tights and Spaceballs as the funniest movie of all time.
1. King Arthur- liked how it was portrayed as the "true story," and not with all the magic and the dragons and the blah blah blah. Plus, Keira's in it, so that gives it a few points
Old 29-07-2004, 10:19 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Exception...

Everyone forgot the most recent KA movie besides Keira's! What about A Kid in King Arthur's Court? It was a touching tale about young Kevin from American Pie somehow getting transported back in time.

He gets a girl in the end (not Keira), and defeats the bad guys (not-so-chivalrous knights) using the laser reader from his mid 90's portable CD player. I believe he learns to joust as well.

It really didn't have much to do with King Arthur afterall. The old guy does make a few appearances, though.

I wouldn't really recommend it unless you are in the mood for Rookie of the Year meets A Knights Tale.
Dyce_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote