Would your parents be ok with you dating somebody of different race? - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > Keira Girls > Relationships & Sexuality

Relationships & Sexuality Advice? I-Told-You-So's? Confusion? Rabid Parents? Stick it in here and smoke it. Boys welcome too!

View Poll Results: Would your parents approve if you dated somebody of another race?
Yes 20 46.51%
I don't know 9 20.93%
With reluctance 4 9.30%
Some races yes, others no 4 9.30%
No 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-07-2004, 06:54 PM   Senior Registered Member #41
KeirazBabe
The Kewlest

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
You know I don't even own any Keira films :-P Or Orlando films at that (yes I don't own any of the LOTR films... shoot me)

If I were gay, and dating a guy, my mother would murder me in my sleep. Probably. Or kill herself. I think she really likes the idea of grandchildren
Oh my jaysus you dont own any Keira films???????/ how can that be so? lol..and no LOTR? *dies* lol. Eek oh dear at your mother.. i best not turn you then lol

xXx
KeirazBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 07:12 PM   #42
jadie

My parents wouldnt mind at all.
Old 26-07-2004, 07:25 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #43
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirazBabe
Oh my jaysus you dont own any Keira films???????/ how can that be so? lol..and no LOTR? *dies* lol. Eek oh dear at your mother.. i best not turn you then lol

xXx
Hah, I couldn't turn gay around you, thats for certain :-P
My mother would love you however :-P
Old 26-07-2004, 08:11 PM   Senior Registered Member #44
KeirazBabe
The Kewlest

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
Hah, I couldn't turn gay around you, thats for certain :-P
My mother would love you however :-P
Lmao awww tee hee and im sure i'd love ur mother! sounds so cute tee hee .. well im sure she'd love me until she found out i also fancy girls lol... oh dear..btw we are ontopic..sorta...

xXx
Old 29-07-2004, 09:32 AM   Senior Registered Member #45
Pygmalion
Pissed

Well my parents would'nt mind WHAT race my partner was-so long as they weren't my current gf. They HATE her for some reason that I don't know about.
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #46
havoc
Newcomer

Note: I'm white. And gay.
My parents would rather I married a black male serial killer with ten eyes and devil horns than my current girlfriend.
Hmmm...trouble brewing.
havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 12:00 PM   Senior Registered Member #47
KeirazBabe
The Kewlest

Well thats unfair for you pgys...you ever asked why they dislike her?

Also for havoc- eekness muchly... guessing your parents are quite homophoboic..oh dear..bt considering youve been together for quite a while in a stable loving relationship they should be happy for you?..no?

xXx
Old 29-07-2004, 12:15 PM   #48
havoc
Newcomer

Ok, here is the story. It's long. Hold tight.

Katy and I were happy friends. I'm already out, my parents are NOT happy, just generally stressed about it as I think most parents are, but we get along ok. Things are stable. Katy is just a 'good mate' and my parents like her. She comes for dinner, hangs out with my brother, etc etc.
Then after some time, there comes the whole sexual tension between us. Totally unacknowledged by either of us, might I add. Note: at this moment there IS NOTHING GOING ON between us. Totally platonic. Now, my mother and I had a quite close relationship, and she picked up on my vibes, like some scary mum radar, and confronts me, accusing Katy and I of sleeping together. This is totally untrue, I tell her so. Cue screaming argument.
Scene is now the next day at school. I say to Katy "omigod, guess what? My mum thinks WE'RE TOGETHER!! How weird is THAT??" Cue uncomfortable silence.
Soooo...later that day. Katy bumbs into mum in the parking lot. She says to mum, "by the way, I know what you think is going on between me and your daughter, I just want to reassure you, there's nothing happening." My mum is really pissed at me for telling Katy, but life goes on.
The next WEEK, like 5 DAYS later, Katy and I hook up after a ball. Now, mum thinks both I and Katy horrible horrible lesbian freaks, and also that Katy is a horrible horrible lesbian LIAR.
Try convincing my mother that there wasn't anything going on that afternoon, yet one week later we're very much involved.

Phew. Are you still awake?? That's the short verson.
Old 29-07-2004, 12:58 PM   Senior Registered Member #49
ryan

My step-dad would have an absolute fit if I was dating anyone but a white girl.
My dad probably wouldn't be too happy if I didn't date a white girl, but he'd accept the fact and get over it as time passed.
My mom would support me no matter what color/race/etc the person was.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 01:50 PM   Senior Registered Member #50
KeirazBabe
The Kewlest

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc
Ok, here is the story. It's long. Hold tight.

Katy and I were happy friends. I'm already out, my parents are NOT happy, just generally stressed about it as I think most parents are, but we get along ok. Things are stable. Katy is just a 'good mate' and my parents like her. She comes for dinner, hangs out with my brother, etc etc.
Then after some time, there comes the whole sexual tension between us. Totally unacknowledged by either of us, might I add. Note: at this moment there IS NOTHING GOING ON between us. Totally platonic. Now, my mother and I had a quite close relationship, and she picked up on my vibes, like some scary mum radar, and confronts me, accusing Katy and I of sleeping together. This is totally untrue, I tell her so. Cue screaming argument.
Scene is now the next day at school. I say to Katy "omigod, guess what? My mum thinks WE'RE TOGETHER!! How weird is THAT??" Cue uncomfortable silence.
Soooo...later that day. Katy bumbs into mum in the parking lot. She says to mum, "by the way, I know what you think is going on between me and your daughter, I just want to reassure you, there's nothing happening." My mum is really pissed at me for telling Katy, but life goes on.
The next WEEK, like 5 DAYS later, Katy and I hook up after a ball. Now, mum thinks both I and Katy horrible horrible lesbian freaks, and also that Katy is a horrible horrible lesbian LIAR.
Try convincing my mother that there wasn't anything going on that afternoon, yet one week later we're very much involved.

Phew. Are you still awake?? That's the short verson.
Sorrry dont mean to :icon_spam just thought i could not reoly to this post.. wow n jaysus.. that is crazy stuff and eek what a situation! 0_o but im glad you and katy are happy

xXx
Old 29-07-2004, 11:28 PM   #51
CollisionStar

Location: Hometown is Houston, going to school in San Antonio
I have no idea what my family would think. I only live with my mum, so I think she would be ok with it. Maybe a little uncomfortable at first. My brother wouldn't care.

Since I live with Mum, I'm only close with her side of the family. My fav cousin (she's my age) wouldn't care either. I can't say about that other people. Ecspecially my grandparents. I think they would be shocked, or at least keep asking me "Why? What's so good about him?"
CollisionStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 04:57 AM   #52
havoc
Newcomer

Hey, those of you who's parents would be less than impressed with you dating someone of a different race, I have a question:

Are you living in an area with a low level of multi-culturalism? For example, my parents wouldn't have an issue with me dating someone of a different race, but then where I live there are lots of different cultures living side by side. I think that if we live somewhere more "white" then they would be more offended by the concept. Comments?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:22 AM   Senior Registered Member #53
Pygmalion
Pissed

Well Armihole isn't all that multi-cutlural but my parents lived in the NT (up north) where lots of indonesians come down to have babies etc etc etc, so they're pretty accepting but generally people in Armi and surrounding areas are racists.
A white girl in my year called one of my friends a "fucking Asian" and the joke making the rounds at the moment was made up by one of my friends:
Q. What do you call a bunch of aboriginals rolling down a hill?
A. An Abalanche
Q. What is it called when they run back up?
A. Black Magic
Witty. REAL witty.
Also there's this HUGE joke that a girl in my year is German. She isn't. Shes Australian but someone stuck Swastikas all over her locker last year...
Old 01-08-2004, 02:01 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #54
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Niiice. Racism is not cool kids
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:31 PM   Senior Registered Member #55
gracie
Goddess

ah no, i found that out the strange way. i used to date black guys occasionally, when i started dating one guy in particular and we were more serious than i usually get with guys, i mentioned to my mother that i was dating someone. she asked where he lived and when i mentioned the town- which has the reputation of being predominately black and poor. she asked in a scandalized tone if he was black and then got really pissed off. didnt stop me from dating him till we ended over a non race issue. a few months later i mention the relationship and my mom disgust to my dad. and he suprisingly didnt seem as bothered by the guy-perhaps because it was over. he made excuses for my mom saying that she was from the south and had grown up with these prejeudices. so no its not ok with my mom and my dad has a dont ask dont tell policy- same thing with my sexual orientation. weirddd. my friends are also strangely prejuediced having grown up in all white neighboorhoods and gone to private schools where there might be 5 black students out of 400. so i date black guys but i dont tell anyone.

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #56
rabbit
Newcomer

my parents would say something if they found out i dated someone who was not my race. I'm a BBC..british Born chinese..and my rents do nick pick at things...like the odd comment..i hope he's not white etc....but then again..my mum would tease me if i got some male mates ringing up or coming over..but i think deep down, she'll object tho. Having said that, i do have cousins who are half white and half chinese...so i dont know. I have never dated a chinese guy tho...all white and one black guy....i still rememeber the stares we got when we went out :icon_roll.

where i come from, its very multicultural...lots of Asians, chinese etc...and being a students city from people coming all over Europe and the rest of the world, i consider myself lucky.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:35 AM   Senior Registered Member #57
Pygmalion
Pissed

Well generally rural areas in Austrlaia are racist-mostly against aboriginals, it wouldn't be my PARENTS I'd be worried about, it'd be my peers if i was dating an aboriginal.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:35 PM   #58
keiracaleb

Neither my mum nor dad would care whether i went out with someone from a diffrerent race, of the same sex, if he/she depending on what i am when i'm older was older than me or younger than me, it wouldn't matter, as long as they weren't like 19 and i'm 12, my friend is engaged to her boyfriend of 6 months and she's 13, he's 19, they're planning to get married when rachel is 17, i think it's sweet. But i have only ever dated white guys, but have always fancied guys from other races especially blacks and indians, i love them and they are so kind (most of them) i'm firneds with a few indian people and they're really cool, but i'm brought up in a town where you see alot of chinese people and white people and hardly any indians or black people which is a shame because it would be nice to see a wider variety of people in my town. But there is a girl in my street who is off black dad and white mother, she said i called her a 'nigger' when i didn't even know what the bloody word meant! she also said that i wrote 'niggers live here' on her front door, which would be impossible seeing as i was in mallorca at the time and i wouldn't just fly bakc to write that on her doo then fly back to spain! she thinks my family is racist, but its her thats racist, she cals us white chocolate and says we match the snow and stuff like that, she's racist but she's too darn thick to realise it!
Jackhe's fine just like i promised she's all set to marry norrington just like she promised and you get to die for her just like you promised so really we're all men of our word exept elizabeth who is in fact a woman.

Keira(blooper on POTC after accepting norringotn's proposal)hall i shop for something to wear? Or will it be bare breast and ankles all the way?
keiracaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:25 AM   #59
alby

For my parents, it all depends on the character of the person and not her ethnicity.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:46 AM   Senior Registered Member #60
gracie
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiracaleb
Neither my mum nor dad would care whether i went out with someone from a diffrerent race, of the same sex, if he/she depending on what i am when i'm older was older than me or younger than me, it wouldn't matter, as long as they weren't like 19 and i'm 12, my friend is engaged to her boyfriend of 6 months and she's 13, he's 19, they're planning to get married when rachel is 17, i think it's sweet.
ew...thatgs not sweet thats like criminal and a tad gross. i mean thats a fully matured guy having sex with a girl whos just in puberty that is disgusting. he must be quite the skeez not to be able to date his own age.

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote