Hey, Computer Experts.... - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 29-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #21
Spartan117warrior

I use Spybot S&D and it prevents problems just fine. I try to keep it as up-to-date as possible. Every time I scan my lappy, I never get any detections. I also use McAfee SecurityCenter. It isn't half bad. It hasn't ever actually found a virus or other problems on my lappy, but updating can really tax your system, and the scans seem to last longer than they should. But it's free so I can't complain too much.
Old 29-09-2007, 11:27 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #22
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan117warrior View Post
I use Spybot S&D and it prevents problems just fine. I try to keep it as up-to-date as possible. Every time I scan my lappy, I never get any detections.
Wouldn't say that that necessarily means you're clean (although you probably are). I think Trend Micro's Housecall catches Spyware that may not be detected by your own software so I'd give that a spin, just to be sure. A lot really depends on how you use your computer, a lot of needless problems can be avoided just by being sensible (not opening email if you don't recognise the sender etc). Oh, and yeah, avoiding attachments isn't enough, some malware can be executed just by opening emails so be careful what you open. The safer your own practises, the less need for security you have.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 12:11 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #23
Digital_Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Norton is a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle View Post
Yep. I believe Microsoft did TRY and buy Symantec but failed. They do own a stake in the company, I think, but nothing big. Certainly not enough to stop Symantec suing Microsoft .
There;s a huuuuuuuuuuge difference between "wholly owned subsidiary" and owning a stake in a company, i own stock of quite a few companies, but if i "wholly owned" them, i'd run them a hell of a lot differently.... and i swear "wholly" is a spelling error... but then i am dyslexic. so meh
Old 30-09-2007, 12:15 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #24
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Ice View Post
There;s a huuuuuuuuuuge difference between "wholly owned subsidiary" and owning a stake in a company, i own stock of quite a few companies, but if i "wholly owned" them, i'd run them a hell of a lot differently.... and i swear "wholly" is a spelling error... but then i am dyslexic. so meh
Exactly. It's not a spelling error. You're just a retard. And drunk. But still smarter than Dave.
Old 30-09-2007, 12:16 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #25
Digital_Ice

im not *that* drunk.... i thought it was wrong when i was sober.
Old 30-09-2007, 12:20 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #26
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Which would be the "retard" part. http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/wholly
Old 30-09-2007, 12:23 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #27
Digital_Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle View Post
Which would be the "retard" part. http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/wholly
screw you
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/dyslexic
Old 30-09-2007, 12:27 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #28
Mandy
Honourary Brit

*hugs Ice*

mwah.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 12:30 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #29
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

As I said on MSN, one of my best friends is dyslexic and I mock him. It buys you no sympathy from me. I'd mock a blind man slipping on a banana skin. http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/bastard+
Old 30-09-2007, 01:29 AM   Senior Registered Member #30
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I use McAfee Security Center (anti-virus, spyware, firewall), spybot, CCleaner, aSquared, SpywareBlaster, Wise-Disk & Registry Cleaner, and AusLogics Disk Defrager.

Haz, you think I'm missing anything terribly important?
Old 30-09-2007, 03:44 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #31
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Wouldn't call myself an expert but I'd say that looks ok. I'd say "ad-aware" is a must-have, though. Spyware Terminator wouldn't hurt, but isn't "essential". Has caught stuff that neither Spybot or Ad-aware caught though, and I've heard that with the HIPs (Host Intrustion Prevention System) you're pretty much watertight (apparently it was tested on websites with known spyware infections and the test computers remained clean). I use O & O defrag, but I'd say any defrag software that ISN'T the windows standard is good. So long as you can defrag the pagefile you're good to go.
Old 30-09-2007, 04:47 PM   Senior Registered Member #32
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Ad-Aware 2k7 never seems to want to install for me. I constantly get a "1920 warning" when I try to install it, and when I go on Lavasoft's forums, no one seems to know what the problem is. I'll def. check out the Ahnuld program, though, and continue to see what's wrong with AAW.
Old 30-09-2007, 10:14 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #33
Digital_Ice

it's a known problem, the latest version is buggy as hell. a couple of tricks to try, firstly, re-register the vb runtimes with start > run "regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\vbscript.dll"

if that doesn't work, run the installer with the "/passive" flag to bypass all the installation options. It does mean however, that the installer will use all the default options, including automatically rebooting if necessary.

if they dont work, i'll dig through my server for an older version for you.
Old 30-09-2007, 10:52 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #34
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why he's God and Jesus rolled into one. Single too, ladies...
Old 01-10-2007, 12:00 AM   Senior Registered Member #35
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
it's a known problem, the latest version is buggy as hell. a couple of tricks to try, firstly, re-register the vb runtimes with start > run "regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\vbscript.dll"

if that doesn't work, run the installer with the "/passive" flag to bypass all the installation options. It does mean however, that the installer will use all the default options, including automatically rebooting if necessary.

if they dont work, i'll dig through my server for an older version for you.

I aprreciate your concern, Ice. I tried the vbscrpit trick and the passive flag, no dice. I'll just wait for Lavasoft to get their thumbs out of their asses and fix it.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:44 AM   #36
Spartan117warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511 View Post
I aprreciate your concern, Ice. I tried the vbscrpit trick and the passive flag, no dice. I'll just wait for Lavasoft to get their thumbs out of their asses and fix it.
I think one thing hardcore computer techs (and I am by no means a part of that group) learned is to rarely rely on the company to fix stuff.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:51 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #37
Digital_Ice

indeed. its often easier and a hell of a lot quicker to fix it yourself.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:34 AM   #38
Spartan117warrior

I mean, I think that's how Spybot came around (don't quote me, I'm not sure). Someone got fed up with spyware, didn't like the exisiting anti-spyware stuff out there, so he made his own.

Now we have people looking at the code for Halo 3 just to figure out how to unlock skulls and stuff like that.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 AM   Senior Registered Member #39
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan117warrior View Post
I think one thing hardcore computer techs (and I am by no means a part of that group) learned is to rarely rely on the company to fix stuff.

Well, someone other then me better fix it. I'm too retarded to know what's broken and what's not.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #40
Keira lover

Quote:
one thing is. norton is owned by symantec. it's not in the least bit connected to microsoft. infact the two companies have sued each other on numerous occasions.

Everyone has sued or is suing Microsoft:

Apple
Norton
The EU
The US Government (a couple of times, at least)
Opera
Aol
Sun Microsystems
the list goes on and on.

I need a life, don't I?

47th Member of the Keira Knightley Posse
Keira lover is offline   Reply With Quote