Hey, Computer Experts.... - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 27-09-2007, 04:12 AM   Senior Registered Member #1
kingdumbass

Hey, Computer Experts....

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if someone is using my wi-fi signal?
I notice the wireless light on my modem/router blinking furiously from time to time, even if I'm not using it at the moment, and when I check out my network settings, I see three things: my computer, my modem, and a mysterious connection called "Toshiba". When I attempt to view the properties of that last one, it asks me for a password, and won't let me in. Additionally, the Toshiba thing isn't always there.

Now, I don't necessarily care if someone is using my wi-fi, per se, but that's assuming that it doesn't affect ME in any negative way. For instance, could that anonymous user be slowing my connection speed, or fucking up my machine in any way? Or, it is his use of my signal totally benign?

Thankee, thankee.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 04:51 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Someone's stealin' ur internetz.

Find and hurt them!
Old 27-09-2007, 06:43 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #3
Liam
Bogan Elite

Certainly sounds like it. I'd be changing the password(s) on the wi-fi and if possible move to a stronger encryption level.

While its probable that someone is just making use of your signal, theres no guarantee that their use is anything you would want to allow. A friend of mine was served with a cease and desist notice from a copyright enforcement agency, even though she had never downloaded any dodgy software, music or movies. Turned out that someone had been using her wi-fi to download torrents.

It could be worse - any open shares or ports can allow full access to your computer. Its not something I would allow to continue.
Old 27-09-2007, 12:48 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #4
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I have a Toshiba laptop...with wireless capability.
Old 27-09-2007, 03:13 PM   Senior Registered Member #5
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Huh...over the summer, where my parent's place has lousy DSL service, I "stole" a couple people's wi-fi signals (depending on what part of the house my laptop was in, I'd get a different signal). This persisted for a couple months, until, when I went back home for the weekend last week, the signals (finally) put up encryption so I couldn't borrow their signal.

If I had a wireless router of my own, I'd put up at least some form of encryption on it, so people like me wouldn't borrow the signal and download tons of stuff for free. College kids are poor, have to get our necessities somehow.
Old 27-09-2007, 11:10 PM   First Class Member #6
DanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
I have a Toshiba laptop...with wireless capability.

Ha Ha! So are you hinting you have loooooong range snooping
capability...mmmm maybe all the way to King's neck of the woods?
DanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
Spartan117warrior

Well actually for me, the blinking light doesn't necessarily mean someone is stealing your interwebs. I had a (non wireless) Comcast cable modem and the light blinked all the time, whether the computer was on or not. The only time it didn't blink was when I didn't have any intarnets.
Old 28-09-2007, 12:11 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #8
Digital_Ice

your computer will often be using the internet even if your not, especially if you're using XP.
Old 28-09-2007, 02:09 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
kingdumbass

Well, I'm talking even when the machine is shut off....
And what's a good way for me to block this person without making it too complicated for other devices on my network to continue functioning? For instance, I don't want to add encryption, and then suddenly have XBox and Wii stop connecting because of it. Is it easy to do?
Old 28-09-2007, 03:03 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #10
Digital_Ice

you dont have any encyption?!?!?! no f**king wonder you have random people wardriving you. lol

You should have a WEP key minimum, and your XBOX etc will still connect, all you have to do is tell the xbox the WEP key.

I'd recomend WPA-PSK for most networks, and even though it isnt foolproof, it will deter most people. But its something you can set it up without buying any new kit.

What make and model is your router?
Old 28-09-2007, 05:45 AM   Senior Registered Member #11
kingdumbass

I do have a WEP key, actually....
And I've got a Zoom X6 DSL modem/router combo.
Old 28-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #12
KeiraIsFIT

Just give it a password so people cant get on

i sometimes use free internet from a neighbours house...strong signal...despite it being the other side of a road @ least 10 metres wide
Old 28-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
dave

Don't be an Arse. Leave it open, but protect your shared resources. Always assume that your network has been compromised.

Don't bother to worry about your neighbors and street people using your network. Let them.

This is my Unix upbringing. The Web is free. You protect the stuff on your machine that needs protecting, and share the rest. I do. You PC people have absolutely no realization of the history of the Internet AND no souls.

If you had to Pay For all the Unix stuff you use, you wouldn't be able to afford a computer, and you would still be typing in DOS commands in "Tiny Basic". Just think of this as your opportunity to Pay Back some of what you owe.

Of course, following that advice is a lot safer if you are driving a Macintosh, Sun, HP, or Linux Box. The reason for that is that the PC types shit in their own nest and have loosed a whole nest of inconsiderate uneducated Hillbilly Kids on the network. Deal with it, but don't worry overmuch about those guys stealing a little bandwidth.

Just how fast can you type that you are worried about it? On a good day I can hit 100wpm, and I can't overrun my buffers, can you? You don't actually believe that someone on a 54K Wi-Fi link is going to slow down a 756K DSL Modem, do you?

1) Change your Groupname away from MSHOME That will stop most of your problems. If you don't know how to do that, enroll in a 101 level Computer Class.

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
Spartan117warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Don't be an Arse. Leave it open, but protect your shared resources. Always assume that your network has been compromised.

Don't bother to worry about your neighbors and street people using your network. Let them.

This is my Unix upbringing. The Web is free. You protect the stuff on your machine that needs protecting, and share the rest. I do. You PC people have absolutely no realization of the history of the Internet AND no souls.

If you had to Pay For all the Unix stuff you use, you wouldn't be able to afford a computer. Just think of this as your opportunity to Pay Back some of what you owe.
That's funny. It really is. I almost rolled off my chair laughing. If the web was free, we wouldn't have a need for telecommunications companies like Comcast and AT&T to be paid to give our internets.

And also consider the notion that some people consider it stealing if you use their open connection, secured or not. While it's still being debated in the courts whether an unsecured access point is fair game, if you use someone else's access point, at least slip a few dollar into their mailbox to compesate. That's not paying, that's just being nice.
Old 28-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan117warrior View Post
If the web was free, we wouldn't have a need for telecommunications companies like Comcast and AT&T to be paid to give our internets.
The City of Rio Rancho is covered by a free Wi-Fi Mesh network. Nobody pays.

I have some telephone plan where it is $38.12/ month. Do I care? My telephone bill used to average $100.00/mo all by itself. Now I can receive unlimited incoming calls, unlimited 800 outgoing, $0.10/min outgoing local calls, and 756K DSL actually running at
Your current download speed is: 523.00kbps.

I bought the box for SKYPE, but I haven't gotten around to setting up one of my Junque computers to run it on. But, unlimited phone service for $29.00/year seems to blow AT&T away.

With a quick search I'll bet I could list over 20 towns with free Internet NOT COUNTING almost every single Indian Pueblo in New Mexico. You do have better service than their shared T1 lines that they have in their mud huts don't you? Of course you do that's why you worry about someone "stealing" 54K of it!

Get Real!

Old 28-09-2007, 10:25 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #16
Digital_Ice

The difference is though, Unix is awesome. Windows is as leaky as a sieve. protecting your resources is not as easy as it sounds on windows. its all very well us computer nerds spouting all this junk, but when it comes to the average user they want simplicity.
Old 28-09-2007, 10:38 PM   #17
Spartan117warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
The City of Rio Rancho is covered by a free Wi-Fi Mesh network. Nobody pays.

I have some telephone plan where it is $38.12/ month. Do I care? My telephone bill used to average $100.00/mo all by itself. Now I can receive unlimited incoming calls, unlimited 800 outgoing, $0.10/min outgoing local calls, and 756K DSL actually running at
Your current download speed is: 523.00kbps.

I bought the box for SKYPE, but I haven't gotten around to setting up one of my Junque computers to run it on. But, unlimited phone service for $29.00/year seems to blow AT&T away.

With a quick search I'll bet I could list over 20 towns with free Internet NOT COUNTING almost every single Indian Pueblo in New Mexico. You do have better service than their shared T1 lines that they have in their mud huts don't you? Of course you do that's why you worry about someone "stealing" 54K of it!

Get Real!
Actually I couldn't secure the line I'm on right now even if I wanted to. One: it's already secured by a VPN, Two: There are at least 15k people on it, and Three: My school's T3 is slower than dial up sometimes because of people playing Xbox Live over it.
Old 28-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #18
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Ice View Post
The difference is though, Unix is awesome. Windows is as leaky as a sieve. protecting your resources is not as easy as it sounds on windows. its all very well us computer nerds spouting all this junk, but when it comes to the average user they want simplicity.
Simplicity is Zonealarm.com and it is free for home use. Total Control.

For Virus avast.com and it is free for home use. Total Protection.

And I also actually bought something called SUPERantispyware from, you guessed it! SUPERantispyware.com a whole $9.00. And it is free for home use. I bought it because I used it to remove a particularly nasty bug my machine caught awhile back. I haven't had any problems since.

Oh, yeah, the one I learned about from some exotic Super Computing Guru's on a weird little website called KeiraKnightley.com. I run it every so often. It's called HitManPro, I think. It's also free for home use. At it's heart is the number one Free for home use AdAware program.

And there's one more free one you should have in your toolbox, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...ry_cleaner.htm

Once you get away from the PC world, the web is Free.

It's interesting that Ubuntu Linux has yet to have it's first virus attack and it's blazingly fast on older hardware. Firefox is there, and you can get a free installation DVD on almost any copy of Linux Today magazine. Instead people pay a couple hundred dollars to Microsoft for an OS and then pay another hundred dollars for "Norton" Utilities to plug the holes in their Microsoft OS AND Norton is a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft...

Old 29-09-2007, 11:23 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #19
Digital_Ice

norton? eurgh.

i completly agree with you on this one, except i use avg not avast, and spybot s&d not superantispyware.

theres a hell of a lot more kit i could recommend if people are interested.

plus I've been "trained" in trawling through HJT logs if anyone has a problem.

one thing is. norton is owned by symantec. it's not in the least bit connected to microsoft. infact the two companies have sued each other on numerous occasions.
Old 29-09-2007, 12:31 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #20
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Ice View Post
one thing is. norton is owned by symantec. it's not in the least bit connected to microsoft. infact the two companies have sued each other on numerous occasions.
Yep. I believe Microsoft did TRY and buy Symantec but failed. They do own a stake in the company, I think, but nothing big. Certainly not enough to stop Symantec suing Microsoft .

Some suggestions I'd make:

AVG Anti-virus is "lighter" than Avast in terms of resources and also in my experience better at detecting problems. The updates can be a bit buggy sometimes but it's rare.

AVG Anti-Spyware (previously Ewido) - Free version. Fantastic at catching trojans. I've done a bit of research and found that layering the two AVG products achieves a standard of protection comparable to Kaspersky's. Considering that both products are free that's pretty damn impressive.

CCleaner (not really security software but good for reg cleanup etc). Another good product that I use for cleanup is EasyCleaner. It has a few more options than CCleaner but is not as intuitive.

Ad-Aware and Spybot are staples as on-demand scanners but are apparently the evolution of spyware and adware has meant they are not good enough as primary "active" protection. My experience would highly recommend Spyware Terminator for this job.

However the old "prevention is better than cure" adage applies so I like to use SpywareBlaster (prevents installation of Active-X based spyware). The same company makes SpywareGuard which I also have begun using. This is another "preventative" anti-spyware that catches and blocks spyware before it can infect your computer. Since I've gone for "prevention" I haven't had an infection yet.

Finally if all else fails I like to use SuperAntiSpyware for removal. Research when I was infected in the past (before I began layering protection) showed me that often when people reported stuff in HJT logs and tried other software to remove stubborn infections, they failed and were recommended to try SuperAntiSpyware. So far I've not been able to test if really is as good as they claim at removing infections since I've not had an infection but no harm in having it there if I need it.

Although those are based on my own experiences I owe the discovery of many of those products to this fantastic review : http://www.techsupportalert.com/best..._utilities.htm
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote