Are you ready for some football? (American) - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 13-09-2004, 09:26 PM   Senior Registered Member #1
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Are you ready for some football? (American)

The season officially starts tonight. I gotta cram 4 hours of homework into two so I can make it to the game tonight. (Carolina vs. Green Bay) I know I saw a chiefs avatar somewhere so I know there are some American Football fans here as well.
Old 13-09-2004, 09:36 PM   Senior Registered Member #2
Louie

Yeah I'm the Chiefs fan here, unfortunately. They got raped last night by the Broncos. If only Kansas City had some defense........
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 09:37 PM   Senior Registered Member #3
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I say this without being biased; but, American College football is by far the best sport to watch, ever. Even more than curling. These kids are playing just for the sport, no money involved. It's beautiful.
Old 13-09-2004, 09:40 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
Louie

Yes, but college football isn't as polished as pro football. The defenses aren't even close to pro defenses.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 09:46 PM   Senior Registered Member #5
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Yes college football games have a better atmosphere but the BCS is quite possibly the most retarded thing on earth. So NFL > College until college gets a playoff.

College overtime also sucks.

Carolina plays KC next week. Gonna be a good game.
Old 13-09-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
IeatDogs

College ball is way too boring compared to the pros. Nobody can stop the run and they're not nearly as many big hits.

My Super Bowl prediction
Seahawks 35
Patriots 31
Old 13-09-2004, 10:01 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #7
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

College football does indeed rock. There is no atmosphere like it anywhere in the NFL. Not even Lambeau can approach the atmosphere of a college football game.
And then, you've got the colleges in the South. Oh dear Lord do we love our football. When I was at Alabama, RV's started showing up around campus on Wednesday. I don't know why these people even left campus. Please, before you die, make a point of going to an SEC football game. LSU vs. Alabama is a good one to go to no matter which campus it's played at. Georgia vs. Florida isn't called the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party for no reason. Auburn vs. Alabama...off the fuckin' charts. Same with Alabama vs. Tennessee...we hate those orange bastards with a passion. Oh shit...almost forgot the Red River Shootout...Oklahoma vs. Texas...fuck it...I quit. I'm going on a four month road trip.

Look on the bright side Louie, at least your team has an offense. Joey Galloway hurt his vagina dropping a sure touchdown. The Bucs are toast. They may have to give Keenan McCardell anything he wants just to get some targets on the field. Brad Johnson is one of my fantasy QB's. Tom Brady is the other. I got ass raped because I started Johnson over Brady.

Yes...I am ready for some football.

***hasselbrad tackles his monitor***
Old 13-09-2004, 10:05 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

I usually go to the Clemson vs South Carolina game when it is at South Carolina. I am not allowed to go to Clemson. That game is crazy.

Panthers games don't compare at all to it because about 75% of Panthers fans jumped on the band wagon last year. I don't remember seeing them when I was sitting in an near empty stadium during the 1-15 season.
Old 13-09-2004, 10:08 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #9
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC
I usually go to the Clemson vs South Carolina game when it is at South Carolina. I am not allowed to go to Clemson. That game is crazy.

Panthers games don't compare at all to it because about 75% of Panthers fans jumped on the band wagon last year. I don't remember seeing them when I was sitting in an near empty stadium during the 1-15 season.
I had some friends at Alabama that were from South Carolina. That game is a fucking nut-house too!
Old 13-09-2004, 10:40 PM   Senior Registered Member #10
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
Yeah I'm the Chiefs fan here, unfortunately. They got raped last night by the Broncos. If only Kansas City had some defense........

Yah, a Chiefs fan. O WAIT, they lost!!! :icon_spam

Yup, 34-24 final, while both Quintain Griffith and Priest Holmes taking 3 TD's for each of their teams.

I'm hoping for either the Broncos or Colts to go all the way again for the AFC, while rooting for the Rams and Seahawks for the NFC.
Old 13-09-2004, 11:00 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Stupid Expansion Team!

In their season opener, the Houston Texans really demonstrated that they are still an expansion team at heart.

David Carr threw 2 interceptions and
Domanick Davis fumbled twice

en route to a

27-20 loss to the Chargers.

They had the lead at the half, but we all know the Texans couldn't hold a lead to save their lives.
Old 14-09-2004, 12:02 AM   Officer #12
Renegade
Stock Boy

Woo hoo, Go Niners!.... Everyone knows they'll suck this year, but I'll always be a loyal fan. Atlanta edged them out by 2, 21-19, so it wasn't that bad a loss. No Terrell Owens, No Jeff Garcia, No championship. Well the upside is that we're young . Look out for them in 3 years!
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 01:01 AM   Officer #13
Mags
Officer

I absolutely love college football, but pro ball bores the bejesus out of me. It seems incredibly petty and just a mass of advertising. College ball is where it's at.

And for college ball, I'm ALL about Texas. We ranked 6th last year, which isn't too bad and hopefully we'll do better now. Hopefully Vince has gotten a handle on himself and won't be so easily excited. And hopefully, we'll have a better game against OU this year. Because...I fucking hate OU. Only good thing that came of last year's game was that 3 of my professors who'd gone to UT cancelled class the next day to mourn...mostly in off-campus bars. Everything else about that game sucks, right down to the traffic that all those crazy yahoos from Oklahoma make driving through Denton to get to Dallas. They mess things up royally on campus.

So, go Texas, and barring Texas, I'll say...Georgia or LSU. Anyone but OU basically. Who never should have been ranked 1st last year.

And as my college team (University of North Texas) got spanked by UT last week (seriously...65-0, I don't even know why we played them, we're in the fucking Sunbelt conference) I don't have much hope for us in terms of national standing. We do tend to do quite well in our conference (went to the bowl game the last three years running) and hopefully that will make for some really fun games. However, the game I'm looking forward to most is of course that of UT v. A&M. UT rocked it last year, and hopefully they can again this year and show those Aggies a thing or two. It's harder without Major though. I love you Major Applewhite.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 01:14 AM   #14
Jasper

I prefer college basketball over any other sporting event. It's way better than the NBA, because the players actually work as a team, rather than one or two "all-stars" hogging the ball. They also actually play by the rules, and don't travel/foul like crazy.

Mags, I hate to say it, but OU>Texas

Another sick rivalry in college football is UF vs FSU. I've been to one of those games... and it was pretty crazy.
"You know that with-holding evidence from a federal officer is a serious crime. Especially when that officer has paid handsomely for that evidence, and wouldn't think twice of ripping that patch off your eyehole and skull fucking you to death."
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 01:54 AM   Senior Registered Member #15
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Foo-Ball

Yeah, UH got killed by OU on Saturday. I think the final score was like 63-14. I was talking to some of the football players this morning, and they were pleased with their performance.

OU beat Texas A&M 77-0 last season, so that is better by far.
Old 14-09-2004, 02:03 AM   Officer #16
mufiman
Officer

i watch more nfl than college usually. college is alright, my favorite team is anyone playing USC, because they are totally overrated.
NFL. my favorite team is the best team ever. Niners. renegade is right, give us 2-3 years, well be back. 21-19 yesterday, quite lame, especially when we gave atlanta a turnover when we were in the red zone [3 yard line!]. stupid turnovers cost us the game, but we did good without our star players. oh and it didnt help that rattay and dorsey were both injured. since theyre probably going nowhere, im also rooting for the lions. joey harrington is going to be good this year, and they finally ended their road game losing streak.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 04:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #17
Ashley

On the pro ball front: Go Chiefs... even though their defense sucks. They have one of if not the best offence in the NFL, but this just shows defense wins the games. No matter how many points you score, you can't win if you can't stop the other team.

In college football: Go Jayhawks. With an impressive win, to say the least, against Toledo last Saturday. I think they're showing stregnth and a new era of Kansas Football is coming soon
Old 14-09-2004, 11:24 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #18
Liam
Bogan Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
I say this without being biased; but, American College football is by far the best sport to watch, ever. Even more than curling. These kids are playing just for the sport, no money involved. It's beautiful.
Never seen Hurling then have you?

Fastest field sport in the world. I can't watch American Football without getting pissed off - all that armour sort of defeats the purpose. Rugby or AFL are more my style.
Old 14-09-2004, 12:19 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #19
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Never seen Hurling then have you?

Fastest field sport in the world. I can't watch American Football without getting pissed off - all that armour sort of defeats the purpose. Rugby or AFL are more my style.
Ever been in a car wreck? I totaled a Honda Accord by hitting a palm tree and a telephone pole, going about 40mph, when I was sixteen.
Playing football makes you feel like you've been in a car wreck every week. That's what the pads are for. Plus, the shoulder pads give you a little more surface area with which to lay a lick on someone.
Finally, I've known guys who played rugby in college but played football in high school. They say there's no comparison when it comes to the speed and ferocity of the hits. I doubt there are many 6' 3" -250 lb. dudes running 4.45 40's playing rugby.

Dyce,
I have a capture printed from that game of Dennis Franchione standing on the sidelines looking bewildered. The chiron of the score reads 77-0 with 1:58 left in the third quarter. It is taped to the top of my monitor, and it makes me smile every day. See...I just smiled.
Alabama fans were hoping they'd hang a hundred on those A&M bastards for stealing him away. I still can't see A&M take too bad a beating. Tennessee, Auburn and Texas A&M are three teams that I would root for Satan and his disciples of Hell over.
Old 14-09-2004, 12:35 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #20
Liam
Bogan Elite

No, I havent been in a car wreck. At the rate I'm going I'll have my private pilots license before my unrestricted drivers license. The Australian licensing system is arse.

Playing rugby is exactly the same. I played for 3 years and I copped it week in, week out. Ever watched forwards taking the line forward? They are fucking big blokes - at least 120-130kgs - charging into each other at full tilt. Most players would be around 6'2 or 6'3, and rugby wingers are among the fastest runners in field sports. The fact that they play without any sort of padding at all (other than ear straps) makes it all the more impressive. AFL is even more physical.

I also know an American chap back home who plays for my uni in the state rugby comp. He played American Football for 4 years, and has been playing rugby for the last 2. He says the complete opposite (rugby hurts more ), so its just a matter of opinion. I just feel that all the padding is sort of cheating - lowering the force of impact by spreading it out over a larger area. Thats just me.