A little assistance with converting DVD to High Definition needed... - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 31-07-2007, 08:35 PM   Senior Registered Member #1
frodo1511
Pin Dick

A little assistance with converting DVD to High Definition needed...

Dunno if I'm breaking any rules, but here goes...

I bought 300 on DVD this afternoon at Target. In the electronics section there were myriad widescreen television sets playing the trailer for this movie, all in glorious high definition and perfect looking. I pop in the movie on my parent's illustrious 32 in full screen TV when I get back home, and I almost cried at how pitiful the picture is. Granted, part of the problem is the DVD, part is the television.

My question to you all is simple: Is their a program/s on the interweb that can rip a DVD's data onto a computer, then convert it to something, uh, better? Something that can take the MPEG-2 codec and juice it up to MPEG-4 or VC-1, perhaps? My laptop can pump out a 1440x900 resolution picture, but the DVD software is far from exquisite. I'm somewhat familiar with the likes of DVD43 and Handbrake, but I'm unsure if they are up to my demands.

Until the HD format war has reached an ultimate victor and the movie industry can unite into one singular format, I am hesitant to upgrade, and I'd rather not spend a grand on the LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player floating around. This is only a temporary solution to a permanent situation I will undoubtfully conquer along the road, but I need some help along the way.

Premature Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #2
Digital_Ice

so your looking for a magical piece of software that actually adds more data to the dvd picture?! or just for HDMI upscaling (which just requireds a better dvd player, or a ps3)
Old 01-08-2007, 01:43 AM   Senior Registered Member #3
frodo1511
Pin Dick

In a nutshell, yes. Not HDMI, I'd like to rip it to my laptop (know how to do that), and play it from there, but try to make the audio and video better. I know how that process works with music and CDs, just wondering if its possible...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 AM   Senior Registered Member #4
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I heard this problem with a lot of the Full-screen 300 DVDs.

What it is is the video codec on the disc is actually ungrounded and not fully exposed or "juiced". It's a pretty easy to fix, though. All you gotta do is put the DVD in the microwave and set it to half a minute. No less, no more.

Go give it a try, Frodo.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:12 PM   Senior Registered Member #5
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Glad I got the widescreen version then. No harm, no foul.

Mods, lock the topic. My miracle failed me, so I will have to wait it out in the Stone Age a little longer.