Why So Serious? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 27-07-2007, 09:01 PM   Senior Registered Member #1
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Why So Serious?

First trailer for "The Dark Knight" on youtube. Heath Ledger should make an excellent Joker. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KHQsM8Tbs

http://whysoserious.com/images/theknife.jpg

http://whysoserious.com/casefiles/154tmr8121.jpg

Also, with the currently ongoing San Diego Comic-Con, the website whysoserious.com has been unleashed with various questions to be answered for your enjoyment.

Discuss.
Old 27-07-2007, 09:02 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #2
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

So who is this dark knight you mention?
Old 27-07-2007, 09:03 PM   Senior Registered Member #3
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I've forgotten your excellent humor, Ran.
Old 27-07-2007, 09:09 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #4
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Gah! I'm actually really psyched for this movie. My brother and I were talking about it the other day. Cheers for the trailer and pictures.

I'm so glad someone is doing these movies like they should've been done. They really started getting cheesy and taking away the darkness and mystery of what Batman is.

Plus I really like Maggie.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 09:10 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511 View Post
I've forgotten your excellent humor, Ran.
Your off topic!
Old 27-07-2007, 09:11 PM   Senior Registered Member #6
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Kinda bummed no actual footage was shown, but oh well. HD versions of the trailer should come out either today or tomorrow-will post when available.
Old 27-07-2007, 09:18 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #7
Mandy
Honourary Brit

I was a little disappointed that there wasn't footage as well, but the audio was good enough for now.

How excellent is Michael Caine? I couldn't ask for a better Alfred. My brother was telling me that the scarecrow is also returning, and later on they'll be another movie with Two-Face. Not sure if these are just things he's made up or not, haha.
Old 27-07-2007, 09:21 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Harvey Dent is supposed to be in the film, played by Aaron Eckhart. Dunno if he makes the transition to Two-Face this time around.

I'm just hoping Heath Ledger plays a good Joker. It'll be hard to compare his and Jack's together, but that spoken sentence gave me chills.
Old 27-07-2007, 09:24 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #9
Mandy
Honourary Brit

If Ledger can pull off a gay cowboy, I'm sure he can pull off a psychotic villain.

That's right, he did mention Aaron Eckhart. Perhaps something happens at the end of the film to segue to the next?
Old 27-07-2007, 09:27 PM   Senior Registered Member #10
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Hmmm...could be. As long as Clayface stays out of it, I'll be happy.

I don't think TDK is supposed to have a big Q&A tomorrow @ Comic-con, but seeing as how this website was completely off the radar until just today, it's anyone's guess. Keep your eyes and ears open for some extra tid-bits.
Old 27-07-2007, 09:29 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #11
Mandy
Honourary Brit

I'm not a big fan of Clayface either. I can't even remember how he came to be that way (I was only really into this stuff when I was little).

Besides, there seems to be a lot of similarities to him and the Sandman in Spider-Man.
Old 27-07-2007, 09:34 PM   Senior Registered Member #12
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Thomas Haden Church did a phenomenal job as Sandy in 3, but I would have no idea who would do Clayface, if he were to be in it.

I don't want Clayface in Christopher Nolan's Batman series for the same reasons that I don't want the Dinobots in the Transformers sequel-takes the believability and shards of realism out of the flicks.
Old 28-07-2007, 12:18 AM   Officer #13
DragonRat
Officer

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/Heath-Joker.jpg

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/img/enter...oker_sp_lg.jpg

I don't know who decided to add the Glasgow smile/Chelsea grin to Heath Ledger's Joker, but it looks fantastic. Much darker than Nicholson's Joker, because Nicholson's Joker was all about menacing fun. Heath Ledger's Joker, I'm assuming, is just downright psychotic.

And don't discount Ledger: he's a good-looking chap, but he's got acting chops. Nolan's Batman series is going to elevate the cinematic Dark Knight to the status of Batman: the Animated Series, in terms of dramaturgy and effect. Joel Schumacher's Batman... who?

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 12:22 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #14
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Yeah, Nicholson's was just painted on. This one looks more like a scarring or acid burn or some kind of deformity. He's also got those wrinkles in his smile that make it all the better.

Thanks a lot for those pics, DR.

EDIT: I found these from batman-on-film, someone was lurking around on set and took some video of the batpod:

***IT MAY BE SPOILER LIKE***

Old 28-07-2007, 01:51 AM   Senior Registered Member #15
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I think that TDK's Joker made the grin himself, probably with a knife. It would easily fit with the whole psychotic/insane description. Here's hoping we actually see it in the film.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:22 AM   Officer #16
DragonRat
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511 View Post
I think that TDK's Joker made the grin himself, probably with a knife. It would easily fit with the whole psychotic/insane description. Here's hoping we actually see it in the film.
Hooray for on-screen violence!

I mean, the Joker--and I think I'm not alone on this one--is probably the most well-known villain in the Batman pantheon of perdition. Indeed, I'd say that, simply because of his unpredictability and uncanny sense of how to rile up Batman, he is the nemesis; he is the baddest bad guy against Bats. All the other villains have their definite advantage, but Brucey is smart enough to get into their heads a little, and that gives his human quality enough of an advantage (because in a strange way, Bats can more or less empathize with them, as one who has been thoroughly devastated with loss, though not to the point of insanity and/or crime). The Joker, however, has no mindset; his villainy, in its amorality, is pure. He's the bad seed. He's the Devil without a God to pick a fight with, so he'll might as well pick on anyone... how about Batman?

The Joker is a criminologist's worst nightmare; I bet some criminologists (who probably did grow up reading Batman) have some strange fear for clowns...

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 06:26 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #17
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Ugh, it's too early to get excited about the new one! There's a whole year of waiting and snooping and spoilers and I just don't know if I can do it.

I keep finding small clips of video from lurkers that hang around the sets trying to get pictures and anything they can on youtube. That will have to keep me sane for now.

(DR I'd just like to say, it's a pleasure to see you posting again.)
Old 28-07-2007, 11:58 AM   Senior Registered Member #18
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRat View Post
I mean, the Joker--and I think I'm not alone on this one--is probably the most well-known villain in the Batman pantheon of perdition. Indeed, I'd say that, simply because of his unpredictability and uncanny sense of how to rile up Batman, he is the nemesis; he is the baddest bad guy against Bats. All the other villains have their definite advantage, but Brucey is smart enough to get into their heads a little, and that gives his human quality enough of an advantage (because in a strange way, Bats can more or less empathize with them, as one who has been thoroughly devastated with loss, though not to the point of insanity and/or crime). The Joker, however, has no mindset; his villainy, in its amorality, is pure. He's the bad seed. He's the Devil without a God to pick a fight with, so he'll might as well pick on anyone... how about Batman?

It would certainly fit with the mood of the trailer, how Alfred goes on to say that some people are not logical, can't be bought or reasoned with, who just want to see the world burn...it'll be awesome to see a Joker who truly can't be talked to. This movie could have some fantastic dialogue in it..
Old 19-09-2007, 10:18 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #19
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
If Ledger can pull off a gay cowboy, I'm sure he can pull off a psychotic villain.
A man who played a gay cowboy cannot play The Joker. That's just wrong. Can't believe they're even having Joker in this. There was only one Joker, Jack, none shall come close. Never has an actor so OWNED a role like Jack owned that one. Heath Ledger is quite possibly the worst choice they could have made. I'm still fuming about it and suspect it'll ruin the movie for me.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 12:19 AM   Senior Registered Member #20
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle View Post
A man who played a gay cowboy cannot play The Joker. That's just wrong. Can't believe they're even having Joker in this. There was only one Joker, Jack, none shall come close. Never has an actor so OWNED a role like Jack owned that one. Heath Ledger is quite possibly the worst choice they could have made. I'm still fuming about it and suspect it'll ruin the movie for me.

First time I heard he was the Joker, I was in the exact same boat you are currently in, Haz. Just like their is only one Wolverine, Gandalf, Optimus Prime (voice-wise), and Maximus, their is only one true Joker-Jack. I'm sure Mr. Ledger will be scrutinized with the most magnificent of microscopes in TDK, and people like you will automatically dismiss him on the spot. However, I'm willing to give him a shot. I will agree that a good Batman movie is only as good as it's villains, but here is the exception where Christian Bale, someone I never really saw playing Batman at all until BB, along with Christopher Nolan will kick Heath's ass in gear for this part.