Friday the 13th... - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 13-07-2007, 01:14 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Friday the 13th...

...is considered unlucky here in the States. I know the number thirteen being unlucky long predates the establishment of the Colonies, so I was wondering what sort of superstitions people in other countries have about the number thirteen and Friday the 13th.
Or, perhaps there is another number or date that strikes fear/loathing in your heart. When I was little, it was the thirteenth that made my parents cringe, but it wasn't specific to Friday, rather the month of March. My father's birthday is March 13th, and for several years in succession, I was injured somehow.
When I was a baby, my mother's car (yes...car...not horse and buggy) was rear-ended and I got jostled pretty good. Another year, I walked into the kitchen, reached up over my head and put my hands on the red hot eyes on the stove she was using to prepare my father's birthday meal. Several years later, I was at the neighbor's house hitting a tennis ball with one of his dad's golf clubs. I got a little too close, and his backswing caught me right on the chin. That cost me six stitches. Another year, I poured shampoo on the floor of the shower and tried to 'skate'. Yeah, that didn't work out so well and I got seven stitches over my left eye.
My other 'unlucky' day is August 8. On 8/8/88, I totaled my car. I'm not looking forward to 08/08/08.
How about y'all...any unlucky dates?
Old 13-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Mark410

Does anyone have paraskavedekatriaphobia? A fear of Friday the 13th?
Mark410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 03:51 PM   First Class Member #3
DanMan

Ha! My parents always considered friday the 13th a power day.
With all the people thinking that, and thus creating their own
bad luck, they felt that there had to be a balancing of good luck.
Its all in your perception you see. They were married on a friday
the 13th and stayed married for 48 years till Dad died last winter.
They also claim I was conceived on friday the 13th, so I cant
look at it as a bad day.

So everyone have a great 13th! :icon_smil
DanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 06:39 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

I was born on a 13th. April 13th. I don't know if that actually confirms it's an unlucky day or a lucky one.

All I know is this:
  • my little brother was born on February 13th. One of the happiest days of my life.
  • my mum's best friend was born on a 13th. I love her to death, we call her aunt 'cause our real aunt doesn't give a shit.
  • my grandfather, whom I loved till the day he died, was born on a 13th. He was german. Everyone says I'm very much like his sisters, what with the clear eyes and the sharp tongue.
  • Guy Fawkes was born the 13th of April. A brilliant revolutionary and inspiration for V for Vendetta. (lol)
We have a saying here: "Martes/Viernes trece; no te cases ni te embarques ni de tu casa te apartes".

Translation: "Tuesday/Friday 13th; don't marry nor sail nor stray away from home".

For me, 13 equals lucky. Mum always chooses that number whenever she has to choose a number (tickets, theatre seats, lottery - which she rarely plays-, etc.). I collect all bus tickets which digits add up to 13. Call me crazy, I don't care.

13 is my lucky number.
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Yuvik
Newcomer

Porcelain_Doll, de donde eres? iba a decir lo de martes 13 pero te me has adelantado!
Old 14-07-2007, 12:30 AM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #6
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

I had sex five times today on the beach with three different girls. Its a great day
Old 14-07-2007, 04:35 AM   Senior Registered Member #7
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuvik View Post
Porcelain_Doll, de donde eres? iba a decir lo de martes 13 pero te me has adelantado!
Soy de Uruguay.

Ran, you're a filthy exhibitionist. But as long as you don't piss me off, you'll remain such.
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman View Post
I had sex five times today on the beach with three different girls. Its a great day
Was it Friday the 13 ? Damn your lucky.

At me it's a bit differebt. It's not Friday the 13 it's Tuesday the 13 wich is considered unlucky. But I don't belive in such things, so doesn't matter.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote