Keira sues the Daily Mail - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira Knightley Discussion

Keira Knightley Discussion General banter on the object of our affection.

Old 22-01-2007, 07:59 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #1
Digital_Ice

Post Keira sues the Daily Mail

Good for her!

Quote:
British actress Keira Knightley is taking legal action against a British newspaper, claiming an article it published suggests she has lied about having an eating disorder.

The Daily Mail included a photo of the Pirates of the Caribbean star on a beach, alongside comments describing her skinny physique, as part of an article about a girl who had died of anorexia.

In a statement from her lawyers, Knightley vows to challenge the alleged implication she's in some way responsible for the girl's tragic death and the alleged suggestion she's lied about having an eating disorder.
i'm not going to bother crediting my source seing as every single version of this article is word for word the same, so they're all copyright theiving bastards.
Old 22-01-2007, 08:45 PM   Senior Registered Member #2
kingdumbass

Of course, she's right in her lawsuit, although I wonder if this means the Mail will slander her every chance they get now....
It's interesting to see her stand up for herself, though.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 02:20 AM   Senior Registered Member #3
kingdumbass

The article in question was indeed outrageous....
I was shocked by how irresponsible The Daily Mail was in publishing it. They basically allowed a confused grieving mother to get her crackpot ideas about what caused her daughter's death into what APPEARED to be a serious medium, in order to slander someone for no reason. The girl who died was so ill that she could not even walk, and had been through several hospital stays. That's the result of a severe MENTAL ILLNESS, not the influence of some celebrity. The whole thing was absurd.

I could swear there was even one quote in the ORIGINAL article (which was removed after it had been online for about 2 hours) in which the dead chick's mother actually said "I entirely blame the media and celebrities" for what happened.

Is the Daily Mail normally supposed to be considered a valid newspaper? Or is it like The Mirror, in that no one takes it seriously?
Old 23-01-2007, 02:25 AM   First Class Member #4
DanMan

I'd like to point out 2 things about Keira's slight weight loss.
1. At the time of the London Premiere for DMC, Keira had just
gotten back from the caribbean. I spent 3 weeks in Honduras
in the spring time (May) one year and it was 105 degrees farenheight
in the shade every day! How could anyone keep weight on
in that kind of heat?

2. Keira apparently has a very fast metabolism. I had the same
kind of metabolism at her age and as a guy, I tried and tried to
gain weight thru weight lifting and was eating tons. I kept getting
stronger but couldnt gain weight and I was desperate to put some
size on my 170 pound 6'1" frame. Some people just cant keep the
weight on. Alot of overweight people dont seem to understand
that some people have just the opposite problem naturally and
it has nothing to do with a mental disorder about eating and self
image.
DanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 09:09 AM   First Class Member Officer #5
Sarah
Nice

It is to my understanding that Anorexia is caused from a need to 'control' something. This being your body as it's about the only thing you can control.

You can't blame naturally slim people for this. Its disgusting. Keira's absolutely right to sue their arses for this.

Last edited by Sarah; 23-01-2007 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Bloody spelling
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
mongoose

I don't think to accuse someone of "eating disorder" is right. Specially when you don't know much about that person.
At me all people say that I'm skinny ( which is part true) but I don't have such a eating disorder. The reason for this is that I do a lot of sports and use the energy. So it's not natural to blame someone for beeing skinny.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 05:26 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

It's funny, but I really can't see which "beauty standards" the media stands by.
If an actress gains weight, they're ruthless. Think of Rebecca Romjin, she gained a bit of weight after X-men. The media were terrible, they were asking if she was to audition in "Fat Actress". But in the movies she put every single waifish model to shame. Who can wear only blue body paint and look amazing?

But they praised Kate Bosworth when she lost all her muscle weight after Blue Crush. And now they're saying she's too thin.

I really don't get it. The mother should hate the media, the very own newspaper that published her story, not the ones who are basically under the miscroscope every single day. And what pisses me off the most is that actresses like Keira can't even get a bloody tan without being harrassed.
But we all know that. No use bitching about it.
Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
meegaan1

This may sound harsh, but I think the mother should not blame anyone for her daughter's death because it was purely her daughter's fault. Keira and Posh didn't tell the girl not to eat, no one did. Maybe the mother should own up to her daughter's decisions and actions before she blames people that are not responsible in any way.
meegaan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 06:38 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #9
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Don't they recognize the other parts of her body that aren't so skinny? Her legs aren't as thin as the rest of her. She's always been like that, in my opinion.

If she went so far as to announce that she in no way has an eating disorder, she totally has every right to sue any paper that still says she is, and that she lied. Bullocks.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 07:11 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #10
Foeni

Bah, if the girl does what celebs do because they're celeb, then she's either stupid or the parents have failed raising her properly.
Old 23-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
allied_assult

You can tell she's not anorexic because people with anorexia don't have muscle. If you look at the pictures of her in Hawii, you can see the muscle she has on her stomach.
Old 23-01-2007, 09:58 PM   First Class Member Officer #12
Sarah
Nice

Plus Anorexic people look ill, and Keira looks very bright, sunny and healthy.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 11:03 AM   Senior Registered Member #13
kingdumbass

The Daily Mail now has the same article back online, but with all references to Keira Knightley removed....
It now only focuses on that Beckham chick.

Interesting what a lawsuit can do.
Old 24-01-2007, 06:31 PM   Senior Registered Member #14
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

I'm not sure if she should continue it. I mean, she has every right to sue them, but this could damage her.

It would really suck if the AWE premiere were shadowed by this. The DMC was all about her Gucci dress and the claims that she was anorexic.

A movie later and they're still on the same thing? People will begin to question (even more) her health.
This could be bad. My guess is, if she wins, (which she probably will, if she chooses to go further with this) the paper will pay her a bunch of millions for damages and that's that.
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 06:40 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
kingdumbass

No need to push it....
Old 26-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #16
Nipsu

Yes, good for you Keira!
Old 28-01-2007, 11:24 PM   Senior Registered Member #17
kingdumbass

The swine at The Mail have published another article on this matter, and they slam Keira once again....
In the title, they ask, "How could a picture like this NOT be bad for young girls?" Well, I could think of a few answers to that...but what strikes me is, if THEY feel the picture is bad, then why do they keep printing it?

Scumbags.
Old 29-01-2007, 01:53 AM   Senior Registered Member #18
michael22
eternally screwed

they have every right to be scumbags they are news people. Now slandering someone thathad nothing to do with the deteirierating health of young girls (lovesick people can not be blammed, slander "god" on that) based on her influence as a star. That is just bad journalism and an even poorer attempt at revenge, you have to go in ninja like and snap their tooth picks in half, or turn te brightness all the way down on their T.Vs
Old 29-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #19
Norseman

You can't blame single individuals for the preassure of being slim/fit, when pictures of skinny models are being used in advertisement and fasion all over the world.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 12:50 PM   Senior Registered Member #20
michael22
eternally screwed

and when you take in half of their "fansite quotes" they seem to be taken out of context.