The Readers' Corner - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 PM   Senior Registered Member #1
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

The Readers' Corner

I have no patience to search the forums and see if this has already been done in the past.
If it has, I don't care, for it hasn't been done by me so it's different than the other one.

Anyway, as many of you don't know, I'm a big reader. Ok, I'm a certified bookworm. And so I thought it would be nice to have a readers' thread, instead of all the "do you know what perfume Keira wears" threads.
Words never killed anyone. Unless you're Socrates, or...wait, nevermind that.

So, it would be rather nice if people posted their favourite reading material, their latest purchases in that area, discussed books and authors and recommended them for others to read.
For example, at the moment I'm reading "The Mill on the floss", by George Eliot. I'm really liking her voice, and Maggie has won me over from the start. People have told me I should also purchase "Silas Marner" by her, and "Middlemarch" too.

I bought "Timbuktu" by Paul Auster but haven't started it yet, I've heard many different opinions on him and can't wait to make up my own.

So there you go. Discuss. And don't you dare ruin this with "I don't read" or "all I read are shampoo bottles" 'cause I'll voodoo you. If you don't read, why on earth are you viewing this thread?
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Bullets19
Newcomer

Well I just got finished reading a good book called flyboys though it can be slow at times and I finaly just got ahold of a copy of Davinci Code even though I already saw the movie, the book came out along time ago but I would still like to get caught up on some parts that did not seem to make sense in the movie.
Bullets19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #3
Leonie
Elle

PeeDee, on a completely platonic level, I love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain_Doll View Post
I bought "Timbuktu" by Paul Auster but haven't started it yet, I've heard many different opinions on him and can't wait to make up my own.
I am supposed to read the New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, but I have only read the opening paragraph so far (it was part of an exam). It sounds incredibly interesting, though, and the teacher recommending it is positively awesome, so I'll have to try to get my hands on it.

I am currently reading Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, recommended by the wonderful Margarita. Hardly any of you have had the pleasure of knowing this most awesome KKW member, but she rocks, trust me. And so does the book, so far. I'll post a more comprehensive review once I've finished it.

In the quick read section, I am reading Nora Roberts' Heaven and Earth, because it's about witches and beautifully cheesy.

Bullets19, you read, and therefore you know the importance of punctation. Could you try using a fecking full stop occasionally? Thank you.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
Bullets19
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie View Post

I am supposed to read the New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, but I have only read the opening paragraph so far (it was part of an exam). It sounds incredibly interesting, though, and the teacher recommending it is positively awesome, so I'll have to try to get my hands on it.

I am currently reading Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, recommended by the wonderful Margarita. Hardly any of you have had the pleasure of knowing this most awesome KKW member, but she rocks, trust me. And so does the book, so far. I'll post a more comprehensive review once I've finished it.

In the quick read section, I am reading Nora Roberts' Heaven and Earth, because it's about witches and beautifully cheesy.

Bullets19, you read, and therefore you know the importance of punctation. Could you try using a fecking full stop occasionally? Thank you.
Yeah I know its just a bad habit.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #5
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets19 View Post
Yeah I know its just a bad habit.
I greatly encourage you to break it.

I should add, I'm also planning to finally read all my Jane Austen books this summer. Until now, I have read Pride & Prejudice, Northanger Abbey and Sense & Sensibility. I've also read substantial chunks of Persuasion and Mansfield Park. I couldn't finish the former because it was part of a course and I got too busy. I'm having a lot of trouble getting into Mansfield Park because I just don't care for the main character. Every time I get into it, something comes up and I don't finish it. I adore Jane Austen though, so I'm going to try my best to finish those two, and add Emma and Lady Susan/The Watsons/Sanditon to the list.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:38 AM   Senior Registered Member #6
Porcelain_Doll

Quote:
That's one of the biggest compliments since someone called me "the Devil itself".

I'm (not) shocked that only two people at kkw read. So prove me wrong, if you wish.

By the way, I also bought "Learning To Live" by Luc Ferry. No, it's not a help book, it's philosophy. And it rocks.
here's the link, if anyone's interested: click
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

my blog

Old 04-06-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
Bullets19
Newcomer

It sounds like a interesting book on philosophy. Perhaps I will read it some day.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:10 AM   Senior Registered Member #8
michael22
eternally screwed

The books I have recently started or finished

A demon haunted world by Carl Sagan.
great a must read for everyone
Dune-Frank Herbert= READ!
Bourne Identity, twas good
Rob Roy- sir Walter Scott
damn he was a good writer, and damn what a story
War and Peace- finnished in two days woot!!
Crime and Punishment- great exploration of guilt
Old 04-06-2007, 05:47 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
kingdumbass

I'm on vacation at the moment, so I'm reading quite a bit....
Just finished:
Tales of the South Pacific, and
Mutiny on the Bounty.

Currently reading A Confederacy of Dunces.

Good. All of them.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:52 AM   Senior Registered Member #10
Pygmalion
Pissed

Cold Comfort Farm

I thought it was ok, I wish Flora'd come and make MY life awesome like she does for the country bumpkins in the book.
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
Surprize

PeeDee, thank you for this thread! You know, I like reading and writing too. I began to read "Hobbit". I have read it and the next trilogy "The Lord of The Rings" when I was 10. Now I want to remember it.
Surprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
x.keirafan.x

I have read these last few weeks:
Jane Austins: Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abby and Mansfield park and Emma.
and two doctor who books. But my doctor who books i read in one day so they dont really count to me because they had big wrigting.
Ilove books me and my mom are decorating my room now and my mom found all my old books under my bed all together i have 58 books!
x.keirafan.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #13
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Just finished:

Mindhunter by John Douglas

This is a great but pretty disturbing book about criminal profiling and serial killers by a former FBI profiler (think Silence of the Lambs). Totally gripping.

Sea Harrier Over The Falklands by Cmdr. 'Sharkey' Ward:

Another first hand account, this time of the air war during the Falklands conflict by a Sea Harrier Squadron Commander. Fascinating study of modern air warfare and simply a great tale. You just can't make this shit up.

In progress:

I'm not one for reading just one book at a time so here are the ones I have on the go currently.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

On the few occasions I have been forced to read Shakespeare or endure sitting through one of the plays I have been bored and uninterested and so I have generally just avoided his work. My interest was however, awakened following the viewing of a tv show about a Canadian theatre festival. Now on the surface this sounds like a recipe for rampant snobbery and boredom, it is actually fucking brilliant. It is called Slings & Arrows and in my not at all humble opinion it is one of the finest television shows ever created (watch it bitches).

So I thought I should give old WS another go and so I've started reading Hamlet. Seems pretty good so far.

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austin:

Haven't got very far but what I've read I've enjoyed. I loved Pride & Prejudice so I reckon I will enjoy this.

The Utility of Force by Rupert Smith:

Rupert Smith is a retired British General and this is basically his thoughts on the roots and realities of modern warfare. I would say it is the most important work on warfare since that of John Boyd (look him up) and before him Von Clausewitz (if you have to look him up then shame on you). Required reading for anyone interested in current affairs.

Next up:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon:

Finally taking the aforementioned advice of Mags (where are you?)
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #14
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula View Post
In progress:

I'm not one for reading just one book at a time so here are the ones I have on the go currently.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

On the few occasions I have been forced to read Shakespeare or endure sitting through one of the plays I have been bored and uninterested and so I have generally just avoided his work. My interest was however, awakened following the viewing of a tv show about a Canadian theatre festival. Now on the surface this sounds like a recipe for rampant snobbery and boredom, it is actually fucking brilliant. It is called Slings & Arrows and in my not at all humble opinion it is one of the finest television shows ever created (watch it bitches).

So I thought I should give old WS another go and so I've started reading Hamlet. Seems pretty good so far.

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austin:

Haven't got very far but what I've read I've enjoyed. I loved Pride & Prejudice so I reckon I will enjoy this.

Next up:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon:

Finally taking the aforementioned advice of Mags (where are you?)
You must be in my head or something.

Anyway, I was posting to say that I have the same thing with Shakespeare. I have majored (more or less) in literature, among other random stuff, and I'd never read anything more than a few pages of Shakespeare. I felt kind of bad, so when I came across a giant collection of all his works for just six shiny euros (kindly donated by Liam), I decided to give it a go. I'm reading the Merchant of Venice currently, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Also, Northanger Abbey is quite possibly my favourite Jane Austen novel so far. The main character has everything Elizabeth Bennett I love, and then some more that's Catherine Morland's own. Loved it. I read it after failing to get into Mansfield Park for the umpteenth time - and I finished it quick smart.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:44 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #15
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
You must be in my head or something.

Anyway, I was posting to say that I have the same thing with Shakespeare. I have majored (more or less) in literature, among other random stuff, and I'd never read anything more than a few pages of Shakespeare. I felt kind of bad, so when I came across a giant collection of all his works for just six shiny euros (kindly donated by Liam), I decided to give it a go. I'm reading the Merchant of Venice currently, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Also, Northanger Abbey is quite possibly my favourite Jane Austen novel so far. The main character has everything Elizabeth Bennett I love, and then some more that's Catherine Morland's own. Loved it. I read it after failing to get into Mansfield Park for the umpteenth time - and I finished it quick smart.
He's stalking you telepathically.
I started reading Pride and Prejudice, but stopped when I got busy with this screenplay. Now, I'm reading a screenwriting book.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM   Senior Registered Member #16
Porcelain_Doll

I found this amazing old copy of "Alice in Wonderland" today...it was totally fate, just yesterday night my sis and I were discussing philosophy, the tales of the cavern and the rabbit and all, and I mentioned the "follow the white rabbit" that Neo gets in The Matrix, and she mentioned the Bunny that was always in a hurry in Carrol's book.

Talk about coincidences...that would make the amount of books I'm reading at the time about 4, not including the ones for literature at school.

my blog

Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 PM   First Class Member #17
DanMan

Well, better make that three KKW members that read constantly!
I recently read "The Davinci Code" and recommend it to everyone.
I also read Atonement and hated it! The movie does seem to have
some changes that allow Keira's Character quite a bit more face time it
appears than if they went strictly by the novel.
I read lots of books on architecture even though I am no longer
pursuing a degree in that field.
DanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:33 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #18
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
Well, better make that three KKW members that read constantly!
I recently read "The Davinci Code" and recommend it to everyone.
I also read Atonement and hated it! The movie does seem to have
some changes that allow Keira's Character quite a bit more face time it
appears than if they went strictly by the novel.
I read lots of books on architecture even though I am no longer
pursuing a degree in that field.
You hated Atonement? I read it after reading Ian McEwan's Saturday, and I loved both novels. Also started his novel The Cement Garden, but that one was way too weird for me on so many levels.

Atonement really is Briony's story, and Cecilia is a minor character. However, Briony's actions greatly influence Cecilia's life. I think the director originally wanted her to play one of the Brionies, even.

Anyway, I thought it was incredibly well-written. Even though the story was predictable enough after a certain point, his characters kept the story from becoming bland.

Last edited by Leonie; 30-01-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Leonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:38 AM   Senior Registered Member #19
michael22
eternally screwed

The Three Musketeers- wow what assholes these guys were. No really thy were abnoxious servant beating pigs. I want to be one now
Old 05-06-2007, 05:00 AM   #20
Surprize

I see that rather many people say that they have read Pride and Ptejudice. I read it last week but I think the film was more interesting.
Surprize is offline   Reply With Quote