need help - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 31-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
jessmutch

need help

To whom this letter reaches,
I am certain that this will not reach the star herself; Keira. However, I would greatly appreciate the help of whomever reads this letter. I will start by introducing myself. My name is Jessica Mutch and I am 17 years old. I also am terrified of the future. This, I am sure, may sound like a strange comment to make but there is every reason for me saying so. I am scared because I feel as I am heading towards a career path I will utterly regret. I have always wished to make something of my life, to stand out, to make a difference. This being why I aspired to be, yes I know you have heard this many times before; a film actress. On the contrary, I was encouraged to take another route. My friends and family both persuaded me I was being foolish and acting on a dream, which would soon vanish. So I turned away from my ambition and started to head towards the next best thing. This being something, which enabled me to help people. Maybe a doctor, a nurse or a paramedic etc. Yet I still yearn for my dream to come true.
Now to come to the part, which (if your willing) includes yourself. Id like to ask for your advice. I would like to know if there is any chance of me fulfilling my ambition; in becoming an actress. I have almost every doubt but to hear it from someone else, who understands what they are talking about, would help me to live in a more mundane realism. Even if this meant to be miserable. I have no money in, which would enable me to go to a theathre college. I also believe my parents would strongly prevent me from going. This because they know that if I fail I will have nothing to fall back on, that I have wasted my time on something I could have spent on something else. For example, becoming a doctor. However, given the chance I know I have something special. I am just not sure that anyone would give me the chance. This is my last hope. Please help to point me in the right direction, if it is possible. I know I am asking a great deal but I would very much like to rid myself of this frustration, which haunts me. Id like to know that there is more in the world than vanishing dreams and lost hope. Thank you for taking the time to read my email.
jessmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
x.keirafan.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmutch View Post
To whom this letter reaches,
I am certain that this will not reach the star herself; Keira. However, I would greatly appreciate the help of whomever reads this letter. I will start by introducing myself. My name is Jessica Mutch and I am 17 years old. I also am terrified of the future. This, I am sure, may sound like a strange comment to make but there is every reason for me saying so. I am scared because I feel as I am heading towards a career path I will utterly regret. I have always wished to make something of my life, to stand out, to make a difference. This being why I aspired to be, yes I know you have heard this many times before; a film actress. On the contrary, I was encouraged to take another route. My friends and family both persuaded me I was being foolish and acting on a dream, which would soon vanish. So I turned away from my ambition and started to head towards the next best thing. This being something, which enabled me to help people. Maybe a doctor, a nurse or a paramedic etc. Yet I still yearn for my dream to come true.
Now to come to the part, which (if your willing) includes yourself. Id like to ask for your advice. I would like to know if there is any chance of me fulfilling my ambition; in becoming an actress. I have almost every doubt but to hear it from someone else, who understands what they are talking about, would help me to live in a more mundane realism. Even if this meant to be miserable. I have no money in, which would enable me to go to a theathre college. I also believe my parents would strongly prevent me from going. This because they know that if I fail I will have nothing to fall back on, that I have wasted my time on something I could have spent on something else. For example, becoming a doctor. However, given the chance I know I have something special. I am just not sure that anyone would give me the chance. This is my last hope. Please help to point me in the right direction, if it is possible. I know I am asking a great deal but I would very much like to rid myself of this frustration, which haunts me. Id like to know that there is more in the world than vanishing dreams and lost hope. Thank you for taking the time to read my email.
Hi im jade im 14 and i cant make a desision for you but i say go for acting!
x.keirafan.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 04:35 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #3
Leonie
Elle

Have you thought of having headshots taken, and sending them to Keira's (or any other) agency with a resume and a cover letter?

That might lead you to auditioning for parts, and then it's up to you to show them what you've got.

You could do that while simultaneously getting a degree in a different area.
Old 31-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
jessmutch

well i dont exactly know how to go about getting head shots, but i supose they are pretty expensive and i just dont have the money. As you know i have sent a dozen emails but have obvisosly had no reply. I will try sending this to some agencies though. I have even looked for auditions on all the search engines and signed up for some. I really dont know what else i could do. Its really ripping me apart not being able to do something i feel so strongy about.
Old 31-05-2007, 04:56 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

If you want to be an actress simply for the fame and fortune, then I'd recommend going to school, getting a real job and dealing with life as best you can.
If however, you have a love of acting and/or entertaining, I suggest sticking with it. It may not be glamorous, but getting involved in local theater might be a way to go. Of course, this may mean getting a job waiting tables so that you have some semblance of flexibility, but at least you'll be acting.
Try getting into films as an extra. Anything to get noticed. Make a tape of yourself being funny (I seem to remember you writing that you were) and send it to independant film producers. There's a guy in Manchester named Phil Hawkins. I know of him because of the Fox show On The Lot here in the States. I also know he's back in Manchester because Americans aren't the swiftest lot when it comes to recognizing skill, and he was eliminated.
His website is www.philm.co.uk and there is a 'contact' option. Send him an e-mail and see what happens. My point is, if you are serious about getting into acting, you have to make it happen. Furthermore, you can't rely on 'being discovered' simply by being funny while waiting tables.
I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old 31-05-2007, 04:58 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #6
Leonie
Elle

You need to contact an agency about what their policy is for accepting new clients. Most (reputable) agencies will have a website - it should tell you what they want you to submit when you send your stuff in.

I'm not sure exactly how headshots work, but you could probably ask a (local) photographer, or look online.

I doubt that sending emails will get you far: they generally want regular post, with photos and lord knows what else. PFD for example (look here) says they do not accept submissions by email. On the upside, they ask for a "photo," so you could get away with a regular shot you've got lying around. They'll probably guide you with headshots and all that jazz if they accept you.
Old 31-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
Scotsworth

Move to hollywood and audition for everything while holding a dead-end job in a fast food restaurant....that's how some of the greats got started.
Scotsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
jessmutch

thankyou for your kind words of wisdom

oh i would like to add, i am not in this for the money or fame. I love making a difference in others lives and making others happy. This is why acting has such an appeal to me,so that i can reach out to others.

Last edited by Digital_Ice; 31-05-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Please use the edit button in future
Old 31-05-2007, 05:47 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #9
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I had a look at your intro post and saw the funny comment, along with the "I don't have the looks" comment.
Don't worry about looks. If you can can act, and can get past a casting director saying "we are looking for a homely maid", you probably can cash checks for acting.
Old 31-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
jessmutch

just to add i have emailed phil, which i hope to get a reply. however, iwill not keep my hopes up. I am also getting my friend to tak head shots and photos ofme, which i will send into pfd and others. Do you know any other agency websites as i need contact details. I wish icould post a picture up but i dont really know how.
Old 31-05-2007, 06:27 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #11
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmutch View Post
just to add i have emailed phil, which i hope to get a reply. however, iwill not keep my hopes up. I am also getting my friend to tak head shots and photos ofme, which i will send into pfd and others. Do you know any other agency websites as i need contact details. I wish icould post a picture up but i dont really know how.
www.photobucket.com

The site will walk you through how to upload photos from your computer. That's how I do it. It's free to set up an account.
Old 31-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
jessmutch

this is me with friends. Am the red head.
Old 31-05-2007, 06:50 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #13
Leonie
Elle

Perhaps you could find out who represents some of the actors you admire, and then google them to find out their procedures?
Old 31-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
jessmutch

yes thats a good idea i shall do that thank you. By the way what are you studying at uni.
Old 31-05-2007, 06:53 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #15
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie View Post
Perhaps you could find out who represents some of the actors you admire, and then google them to find out their procedures?
I have a membership to IMDBpro which lets me see all of this info. I'll look stuff up if you like. I use it to look up writers and who their agents are.
Old 31-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #16
jessmutch

that would be brillant, thank you so much who knew there were such nice people in the world we live in heh. I feel like i need to give you something in return however, i dont have much to give bt my gratitude. Will you post the results on here. You could pm me that mite be easier for others wanting to use the thread.
Old 31-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #17
Scotsworth

This got me thinking, anyone seen the HBO series called "Entourage"? It's about an up and coming actor and his trials and tribulations in Hollywood. Very good show, methinks.
Scotsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 07:21 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #18
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

PM me a list of actors you like/respect/admire, or those who you feel you are most like and I'll PM you the info back. I'd rather not simply post a bunch of names and info, lest we have a bunch of stalkers combing the boards.
Old 31-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #19
jessmutch

k will do now then. thanx

do you know how to also get hold of knightleynews without sending him a pm because he/she doesnt seem to respond to them. Like another email address

Last edited by Leonie; 31-05-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Please use the "edit" button in future if you want to add something and no one has posted after you.
Old 31-05-2007, 07:58 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #20
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

paul(at)keiraweb.com
I think that's it.