Super Size Me - Eating habbits! - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:05 AM   Officer #1
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi

Super Size Me - Eating habbits!

Last night when i was about to go to sleep, my dad started watching the movie Super Size Me!

Last edited by Flightfreak; 11-05-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
kingdumbass

Supersize Me may have suffered from a strong bias, but it DID make some important points....
I, too, used to be a part of the fast food consumption culture. I stopped eating fast food in September, and have lost 40 pounds. That's 40 pounds in, like, 4 months (I am now 140 lbs) -- simply from cutting out fast food (other than Wendy's Chilli, which I LOVE, and only costs one dollar).

Be that as it may, I do not support greater government regulation of the food industry. It's all about choice. It is every citizen's responsibility to oppose increased government involvement in our lives at every turn. In a free society, most of what happens to you is your own fault. There's a certain beauty in that.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 AM   Senior Registered Member #3
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

You can get fat by eating lots of healthy stuff >_< Anything in excess is bad for you. Coincidentally enough, my class watched Super Size Me in Commerce class when we were learning about how franchising businesses worked, so your conspiracy theory about 'aromas = ecomony' isn't too paranoid to me. Whatever, answering the 4 dot points.

1. I eat it when I need food fast, hence the name. Most commonly that's when I'm out in the city after a 2 hour tutor session and it's 7pm. 20 mins of walking while freezing really tempts for some hot fast food... so I'll put it at 10 times a year.
2. Aimed at kids is a thing of the past, at least in Australia. Right now for example, McDonalds is aiming at adults for a quick, on-the-go breakfast option. The others are just showing off different meal deals, but nothing intensively kids. Of course, when the morning cartoons are on, well... Then again, parents really ought to learn how to resist their children, so I don't find it that unethical.
3. Aromas? No.
4. Go and buy a lotto ticket, greedy pigs.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #4
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

The most the government should do in that case is give educational nutrition advice on food. I agree with kingdumbass, it's a matter of free will. It's their choice/consequence that they're fat, and in a world where looks is focused on so much (US especially with Hollywood and celebrities, beauty pagents etc), it's their loss. And as I said before, it's not just because they eat lots of fast food. They could eat a standard fare of meat and vegetables daily to meet needed dietary amounts and still end up being overweight because their lifestyle is horrible (drive a car to work, sit in an office all day, drive back home etc). And would governments restricting on food businesses help in that case? No.

Oh and you spelt habits wrong.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 04-01-2007, 11:44 AM   Senior Registered Member #5
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

So since they can't make the right choices concerning lifestyle (regardless of time constraints and work ethics presumedly) or eating habits, then the government has to restrict the food that is avaliable? I'm not quite sure what your solution is, on one hand you emphasise education (with the supermarket example and the American system portrayed in the movie) and then on the other hand you point out the UK example where education + restriction of 'bad' food is placed, with not that great a success (though kids skipping A meal might do some good).

I feel you're too sympathetic/self-righteous about it. Believe it or not, it's possible for 2 fat parents to have a kid who breaks the vicious circle and ends up thin (through disgust of own parents, bullying/peer pressure at school, teen magazines + advertisements, etc)

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
mongoose

I haven't seen the movie , but I can't understand how 2 of 3 persons suffer from fat. In other countries pople starve (Africa...).
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:39 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I didn't read the previous posts because, well, I'm a lazy american, so I assume this thread is just about how good fast food is.

Has anyone had the Crispy Chicken with Bacon sandwich from Arby's. It's heaven in sandwich form. And with the honey dijon spread on top. Lordy, lordy YEEHAW I love it.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:57 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #8
Digital_Ice

i'm hungry.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:16 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #9
Mandy
Honourary Brit

I haven't had fast food in MONTHS. It's pure crap, all of it. Mmmm Subway.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:25 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #10
Foeni

I haven't had fast food since KFC in London this fall.
I think what's needed is some more education in school and some more responsible parents. I was always taught what crap it is.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:11 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
michael22
eternally screwed

fast food does not have to be unhealthy such as a sub or pita, which takes about two minutes to get. I say to get stupid people to lose pounds engineer a stomach virus that makes you puke when certain substances enter you body eg. grease. I say this out of experiance as I dropped 17 pounds after only being able to eat air for a week. Though the natural selection of fat people running slower than me when a serial killer or big monster runs amok is a healthy by product of fast food.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:26 PM   Senior Registered Member #12
Arbery

i aint seen the movie...yet...but answering the questions...
  • How many times do you guys eat fast-food?
Prolly about 2 times a week...sometimes i'll go a couple of weeks without it though.
  • Do you think it is ethical irresponsible that a lot of the food advertisement is directly aimed at kids?
Not really, its down to parents to keep control of their kids...not TV/Other People
  • Do you think the use of aroma’s should be better indicated and controlled by the government?
Nah
  • What do you think of people that sue fast-food companies for the medical consequences of eating their food?
Twats, stupid fat bastards that should know better
Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #13
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

It's all about personal responsibility. I weigh more than I should, but I know it's because I have over-eaten and under-exercised for many years. It's my own fuckin' fault, period.
Is fast food bad for you? Hell yeah.
So is sitting on the couch and not engaging in any physical activity whatsoever. That's as much to blame as fast food.
The film is very interesting. I think Morgan Spurlock did a really good job.
Michael Moore could learn a thing or twenty about DOCUMENTARY films from him.
As for bashing you, you'll get none of it on this subject. We are a nation of lazy fat-asses. Period.

How many times do you guys eat fast-food?
Not as often as I used to. Chick-Fil-A is pretty much my only vice. I never value size a meal. It's not only unhealthy, but a rip-off to boot.
Do you think it is ethical irresponsible that a lot of the food advertisement is directly aimed at kids?
Yes. But, these people are in advertising for a reason. Ethics aren't really stressed when it comes to moving product.
Do you think the use of aroma’s should be better indicated and controlled by the government?
No. I think the government should stay out of our lives.
What do you think of people that sue fast-food companies for the medical consequences of eating their food?
They sould be locked in a mirrored room so they can see the real reason their ass has its own zipcode.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #14
Foeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
Michael Moore could learn a thing or twenty about DOCUMENTARY films from him.
Meh, Michael Moore could definately learn a lot. I've started watching two of his documentaries. Fahrenheit 9/11 and something about big companies firing their staff after having made a fortune themselves. In both cases I turned off the tv after 10 minutes. I can't stand watching that fat idiot telling everyone else what's right and what's not. Obviously he's smart and everyone not agreeing with him is stupid. Tsk tsk.