I kinda screwed myself....School wise - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 18-07-2004, 04:59 AM   #21
Kyle_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Answer me this. You say you're in Honors English right? How do you get into any honors class persay? When you pick up your class schedule before school starts, is it given to you? Does your high school counselor call you into her office and asks you if you might be interested? For the past two years I have had regular classes and still maintained an A+ to a B- throughout the year, specifically English with nothing lower than an A-. Are you telling me "I" have to get off my ass and go to my counselor and ask for honors? If I do, I wish somebody would have told me that two years ago.
Well richard it so happens I was in a basic english class and my teacher made me sign up to take honors english next year. I had a 97 at the time in her class and I slept about everyday and I haven't studied for a think in 2 years. But she made me take it. O I am in this because of her, I had nothing to do with it. You get your teacher to sign for the next class in taht level. Like an Algebra teacher can sign for Technical Math or Geometry Judging what you made in his/her class. So she put honors down for me. I ended up with a B average though. But nonetheless, honors classes make you read and I hate being required to read, I find the books slow so I dont read them. I started a farewell to arms and I fell asleep.....enough said. Sparknotes.com and the movies will do me fine. I have always been great at bullshiting.
Old 18-07-2004, 06:31 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #22
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Those are the books your honors class is reading? Consider yourself lucky (as I glance over to my required summer reading :/). OMAN is required English 1 at my school; it's an easy read. I actually like A Raisin in the Sun, it's a classic. Both of those are quick and easy. As for the other two, I suggest getting the sparknotes. Better that than nothing and getting marked down (don't get marked down your first week of school!)

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 06:34 AM   Officer #23
DragonRat
Officer

I read A Farewell to Arms...seems like the only one who did :P

It's a good book, but rather tedious, if you don't like Hemingway's style. I prefer The Sun Also Rises, and most of his short stories. Remember, he's critiquing war and the loss of human dignity and humanity in general. That's what he's good at. That's what he went through.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 09:12 AM   #24
Kyle_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
Those are the books your honors class is reading? Consider yourself lucky (as I glance over to my required summer reading :/). OMAN is required English 1 at my school; it's an easy read. I actually like A Raisin in the Sun, it's a classic. Both of those are quick and easy. As for the other two, I suggest getting the sparknotes. Better that than nothing and getting marked down (don't get marked down your first week of school!)

heh, they changed some of the books around cause the grapes of wrath was on the list. But I wouldn't read that damn thing. It's like 600 pages and I have better things to do in summer. So I think they added OMAM. But yeah, a few easy books like those two aren't a problem. I can watch A raisin in the sun's movie and bullshit my way through it. I wanna watch OMAM's movie cause I liked it and I haven't seen it in a while. Plus ill probably read the book. Other two are getting spark noted. Good day
Old 18-07-2004, 09:25 AM   Senior Registered Member #25
Pygmalion
Pissed

Well since this forum is such a hot spot of intelectuals, can ANYbody help me with "In The Skin Of a Lion" by Michael Ondaajche? I was sposed to read IT these holidays-we only have a 3 week break in Aus at this time. I highly doubt theres a movie...
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #26
alby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC
Actually most do give some sort of credit. You just have to score well on the test.
Eh, perhaps times have changed since my days in high school. Nevertheless, it was still the only subject that received the most varying policies by US universities/colleges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_West
heh, they changed some of the books around cause the grapes of wrath was on the list. But I wouldn't read that damn thing. It's like 600 pages and I have better things to do in summer. So I think they added OMAM. But yeah, a few easy books like those two aren't a problem. I can watch A raisin in the sun's movie and bullshit my way through it. I wanna watch OMAM's movie cause I liked it and I haven't seen it in a while. Plus ill probably read the book. Other two are getting spark noted. Good day
Be grateful that you don't have to read Brothers Karamazov, the unabridged version. You could crack walnuts with that thing.

By the way, that is possibly the greatest profile picture anyone has. Pulp Fiction was hilarious, especially the scenes where Jules and Vincent were shot at by the guy with the large "hand cannon" and when they were in the kitchen after they drove into Jimmy's (not sure if I remembered the name correctly) house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmalion
Well since this forum is such a hot spot of intelectuals, can ANYbody help me with "In The Skin Of a Lion" by Michael Ondaajche? I was sposed to read IT these holidays-we only have a 3 week break in Aus at this time. I highly doubt theres a movie...
I remember reading that book only because it was extra credit and we received 10 points for filling two pages of short ID's. Though I can't recall the minutiae of it, it was a beautiful read. You should try to read it since teachers/professors have a tendency to make you miserable for not doing so. It's kind of like how TS Eliot was put on this world to make the lives of English majors terrible.

I think my notes for that high school class is somewhere in my Palo Alto house's basement. It's a waste land down there -- TS Eliot would be proud.

I once took an urban politics class where we were required to read the professor's books/publications just so he could get royalties and the exams' multiple choice section were based on his books even though the indentifications and essays dealt with a totally different aspect of the subject.

But I'm digressing, you should check to see if there's a movie out. I believe he's the same author that wrote English Patient, though I haven't read the book or seen that film. A fairly prominent Canadian I think. Films can also be unreliable in depicting themes, characters, etc. so happy hunting.
Old 18-07-2004, 02:14 PM   Senior Registered Member #27
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Eh, perhaps times have changed since my days in high school. Nevertheless, it was still the only subject that received the most varying policies by US universities/colleges.
I will apply to college this fall so I can tell you that most of the schools I am looking at will give you some type of credit if you score a 4 or 5. Usually 5 gets you credit.

The trend for giving credit will go down in the future because if a college gives you credit for an AP class, that is money out of thier pocket. I would not be suprized if all colleges stop giving credit for AP Exams in the near future since the college board has such a monoply in the US.
Old 18-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #28
Cycleofthemoon

Woo, Goosebumps

I read both A Farewell to Arms and Of Mice and Men. AFTA was an okay book. Quite boring at points and often was too mushy. Some of it was good. You really have to read it to understand the symbols and stuff. The movie didn't exemplify it as well. Of Mice and Men is a must read. It is short enough that I finished it in two hours, while taking breaks. I know many people who cried after reading it. I, myself, didn't. But I felt that I might. The movie with John Malkovich is good, but the book is much better.

That's my two cents.

TOC-Taste of Chains
Cycleofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 03:20 PM   Senior Registered Member #29
gracie
Goddess

dude I never keep The Sun Also Rises, For Whom The Bell Tolls and The Sun Also Rises straight. I hate them, skip it. I liked A Raison In The Sun and Their Eyes Were Watching God-hurston is thouroughly underattedc. But I went to an all girls private school where we only read books by dead white people. So those two were a change of pace for me. Kelseys right if thats what you have to read for your honors english class youre getting off easy. That was freshman summer reading here. I had to read The Sound and the Fury, Invisible Man, Heart of Darkness and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. Most us colleges will accept ap test scores either for some credit or placement into advanced classes. Like i placed into an accelerated biology class and advanced english class while recieving actual credit for history.

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #30
alby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC
I will apply to college this fall so I can tell you that most of the schools I am looking at will give you some type of credit if you score a 4 or 5. Usually 5 gets you credit.

The trend for giving credit will go down in the future because if a college gives you credit for an AP class, that is money out of thier pocket. I would not be suprized if all colleges stop giving credit for AP Exams in the near future since the college board has such a monoply in the US.
At least college essays always stay the same so you can get a head start if you find an old application.

I used to work part time in the admissions office reading essays. People write outrageous things. Just don't write about how studying microcrobes made you a better person or how your outlook on life changed when your parents walked in on you while you were spanking your monkey. Those were hilarious. In retrospect, that was fucked up. The latter is still posted on the bulletin board I hear.
Old 19-07-2004, 12:12 AM   #31
Wake
Newcomer

Agh! You're not going to read Of Mice and Men?! It's so short and it's a good book and I had the English Honors teacher from HELL! Scarlet Letter, Adventures of Huckelberry Finn, The Killer Angels, The Great Gatsby and Of Mice and Men...only one I liked was the last one. You can seriously finish Of Mice and Men in one sitting. The movie...I don't think it follows the book all that well but I thought it was pretty funny because of John Malkovic (sp?). If you don't read Of Mice and Men I'm gonna hunt you down. And I don't wanna hear any complaining about High School English...SOOOOO much easier than my Freshman comp class at ASU.
Old 19-07-2004, 12:18 AM   Senior Registered Member #32
Richard
Dated

I read "Of Mice and Men" during my first year as a freshmen, the only difference is I had a cool english teacher. If I recall correctly, it was a good book and so's the movie. English to me, is not a subject to really complain about. As long as you work at your own pace and give forth the effort, anyone can excell the subject.
Old 19-07-2004, 02:02 AM   Officer #33
DragonRat
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake
Agh! You're not going to read Of Mice and Men?! It's so short and it's a good book and I had the English Honors teacher from HELL! Scarlet Letter, Adventures of Huckelberry Finn, The Killer Angels, The Great Gatsby and Of Mice and Men...only one I liked was the last one. You can seriously finish Of Mice and Men in one sitting. The movie...I don't think it follows the book all that well but I thought it was pretty funny because of John Malkovic (sp?). If you don't read Of Mice and Men I'm gonna hunt you down. And I don't wanna hear any complaining about High School English...SOOOOO much easier than my Freshman comp class at ASU.
Bah, how could you not enjoy The Great Gatsby? It's right up there with The Sun Also Rises as the great American novel of the 1920s.

As for my own summer reading, I've stopped trying to read Crime and Punishment...Dostoevsky should have really stopped with his descriptions and played it like Hemingway - how many words do you need? I'm currently turning my attention to "Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players" by Sklansky and Malmuth: the Bible of Texas Hold 'Em. I figure, a few fiction books separated by a nonfiction.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 04:12 AM   Senior Registered Member #34
gracie
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRat
Bah, how could you not enjoy The Great Gatsby? It's right up there with The Sun Also Rises as the great American novel of the 1920s.
Gatsby>TSAR
I hated that book. end of story

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote