who hates My Chemical Romance? - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 27-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #41
NinjaTurtleRocky

MCR is a disgrace to music. I enjoy most types of music, except for country, and they are just terrible. People label them under Punk sometimes and my old punk self comes out and bashes them into oblivion. i'm big into Ska now, which is a lot less depressing and makes me happy!

Best rock band of all time: The Beatles
Best hard rock band of all time: Led Zeppelin
NinjaTurtleRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 10:48 PM   Senior Registered Member #42
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Theres nothing wrong with Napalm Death. Its not my normal fare but they are the undisputed kings of grind-death metal.

If you want your music to come with semi-intelligent lyrics AND kick you in the chops, Napalm Death is great.
Meh, with metal bands i really don't give two shits what the lyrics are. I'm more looking at the musical aspect. If i really like the band i'lll check out the lyrics, but for metal, it's all about the music, to me. I'm more about melodic grindcore. Gettin' really into Floor.
Old 28-08-2006, 01:55 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #43
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtleRocky
Best rock band of all time: The Beatles
Best hard rock band of all time: Led Zeppelin
Heh.

Anyone who holds either of those opinions isn't allowed to express a view on music.

The Beatles are a horrifically cliched choice and Lennon was better solo.

And Zeppelin weren't really hard rock at all. They had their moments, but that's all.

Definitely would place Nirvana and The Who as better bands than both.

For hard rock it's hard to look past Metallica.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2006, 03:59 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #44
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Heh.

Anyone who holds either of those opinions isn't allowed to express a view on music.

The Beatles are a horrifically cliched choice and Lennon was better solo.

And Zeppelin weren't really hard rock at all. They had their moments, but that's all.

Definitely would place Nirvana and The Who as better bands than both.

For hard rock it's hard to look past Metallica.
Beatles weren't really rock imo, they were more pop. When pop was good.

And Haz, Zeppelin was pretty much the best rock band ever. As you say, not hard rock, but they pretty much rock more than any band to have ever existed.

Metallica is more metal.
Old 28-08-2006, 10:41 PM   Senior Registered Member #45
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Zepplin can suck my balls. For the most part so can Metallica. I disagree with almost everything past their first album. Fugazi and Minutemen triumph.
Old 29-08-2006, 09:50 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #46
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
Beatles weren't really rock imo, they were more pop. When pop was good.

And Haz, Zeppelin was pretty much the best rock band ever. As you say, not hard rock, but they pretty much rock more than any band to have ever existed.

Metallica is more metal.
I'd agree with most of that, The Beatles were pop, and Metallica were metal (though I'd say the line between hard rock and metal is fine at best), and Zep were most definitely not hard rock.

Obviously I think The Who were better than Zeppelin but it's a close thing. I remember when I was 18 I thought Zeppelin were better than The Who but I've changed my mind on that since. I suppose that's because I used to be more lead guitar-orientated and rated Zeppelin higher because of Page. But an appreciation for the Bass has lead me to appreciate Entwistle as the genius he was.

Put it this way, The Who inspired bands like The Clash and Zeppelin themselves. They've been an influence through 3 decades. Their plaque at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame says it all. "From mod rockers to rock operas to hard rock, The Who reigned triumphant as prime contenders, in the minds of many, for the title of World's Greatest Rock Band." Not only were they harder rock than Zeppelin, but they're genuine contenders for that title, and only the Beatles and Stones receive similar accolades in the Hall Of Fame. For me The Who were better than both.

Eddie Vedder probably put it best: "The one thing that disgusts me about The Who is the way they smashed through every door in the unchartered hallway of rock 'n' roll without leaving much more than some debris for the rest of us to lay claim to."

Nirvana were distinctly underrated too. Cobain was a guitar virtuoso rivalled only by a fellow Seattle legend, Jimi Hendrix. I think all young musicians should do what he did and study The Beatles from a young age, and then adapt that style as they take on more advanced musicial influences. The Beatles were the best writers of a "hook" in the business, and whilst not as technically gifted, they had two genuinely great songwriters in Harrison and Lennon, perfect education for a young songwriter.

Novoselic was a very talented bassist, but never really liked the business. His post Nirvana music is very very good and indicates that had he chosen to join Foo Fighters when offered the chance, they would've been a far better band (which is saying a lot as they're a damn fine band as it is). The only reason few people have heard of him since is because he's chosen to stay out of the spotlight. His political work is commendable too. And Dave Grohl. What can you say about him that hasn't been said? Drummer, guitarist, vocalist, songwriter, two massively successful bands (three if you count his stint on the drums with QOTSA). A musical legend, no doubt.

Three great musicians that came together in a band where they were like brothers. They meshed perfectly and Nirvana deserve recognition as a great band.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:19 AM   Senior Registered Member #47
Arbery

Theres some good points in that post Haz...apart from one...Cobain was NOT a guitar virtuso...just a good songwriter! I didn't really like Nirvana though, none of their stuff really grabs me. And they wouldn't have been much until they got Ghrol on drums...he certainly gave them the groove and beat needed.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:45 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #48
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Meh. Cobain could produce sounds out of a guitar noone else can. Much like Hendrix. That would be my criteria for virtuoso, but as a guitarist yourself, you have your own, and I wouldn't presume to tell you anything about playing an instrument you actually play. Even I'm not that arrogant

Grohl was a huge part of Nirvana's strength. It's no surprise that their best work came after he joined. Crover was crap (Melvins reject says it all really) and Channing was pretty poor, which is why they fired him. But on Bleach you can hear that Kurt and Krist had loads of talent, with or without Grohl. And just before Grohl they had Dan Peters from Mudhoney who was very talented. Can't really hear it on "Sliver" which is so heavily influenced by Krist's bass (and the song that confirms him as an excellent bassist), but I liked Mudhoney back in the day.
Old 29-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #49
GoPre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Theres nothing wrong with Napalm Death. Its not my normal fare but they are the undisputed kings of grind-death metal.

If you want your music to come with semi-intelligent lyrics AND kick you in the chops, Napalm Death is great.
I recommend that you listen to the Black Dahlia Murder, I think you would like them.
GoPre is offline   Reply With Quote