who hates My Chemical Romance? - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 21-08-2006, 10:04 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #21
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by calereneau
Don't you ever EVER compare junk food to emo music. Emo music is far less satisfying.
To you, perhaps.

Heh Brad. To be fair, I've seen MCR live, and they were excellent, and that's what this thread was about. They're not even Emo anyway, the new album's prog-rock. But hey, why not slag them off because it's cool to do so

It's just as bad slagging off the genre "just because" is just as pathetic as those who like the genre because it's "cool". Thankfully I don't think you fall into this category. I've not heard Shinedown so I can't comment.

The thing is there are certain bands that call themselves "emo" or "screamo" etc. Those bands invariably blow. The ones that don't actually think of themselves as such are a lot less "scene" orientated. These bands are often far better. To most real fans of the music, "emo" is a dirty word, because of the "scene" that's become attached. Grunge went through the same thing in the 1990s. For every Mudhoney and Nirvana there were tons of shit bands that you probably can't even remember today.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 01:07 AM   #22
GoPre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
To you, perhaps.

Heh Brad. To be fair, I've seen MCR live, and they were excellent
I've seen them live for about 10 minutes, and they surprisingly are really good on stage.

And thankyou to who originally stated that MCR is not emo. If you think mcr is emo then you probably don't know enough about music to be debating about it.
GoPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #23
wishingtobefamous

well honestly ive listented to their earlier work and their newer work so its not as if im uneducated on their music, i just think that they whine a bit to much. theyd be better if so much of their time wasnt spent on dwelling on past realtionships. their guitar players brilliant but the lyrics dont match in quality.
Old 22-08-2006, 02:15 AM   Senior Registered Member #24
Swordsman
Voted Best!

I guess i really don't have that much of a problem with MCR, it's really just the creepy ass 9-year-old kids that dress up and see their shows. I saw about the last 10-15 minutes of a set when they opened for Green Day. MCR does put on a nice show.

Wishingtobefamous, that's goddamn stupid. Their dwelling is the reason that they actually make music and they have money, they have no reason to stop. What the fuck is up with your hate on emo anyway? You remind me of the kids that bitch about their hate of ska every time someone brings it up. Oh, and yeah, a lot of emo bands usually have great guitarists for some reason. There's a bullshit emo band in my town and the lead kid is goddamn great at playing the blues but he lays down some hot licks in his songs but his lyrics are soooooooo bad.
Old 22-08-2006, 04:07 AM   #25
wishingtobefamous

exactly thats what im saying. and not all emao bands are annoying but like i said MCR would be better if they stopped whining so much, and wrote better lyrics.
Old 22-08-2006, 07:50 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #26
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

First album is lyrically stronger. Second is more reliant on the music, the lyrics are definitely weaker. Helena, personally, is a song I don't like much, but not because it's generic, but because it's too lead by the vocals and not enough guitar, and I personally think he gets too whiny in it. Ghost of You is brilliant though. Fits very closely to a time in my life where I was pretty fucked up. To be fair, speaking for myself, I've been suicidal, I've self-harmed, and I've been massively depressed, long before I started listening to this sort of music. And I've found something I can associate with. That's why I don't care if it's "good" or if other people like it, it suits my emotional make-up (heh), and my life so far. That's just me on a personal level though.

Actually Swords, I have the problem with the "scene" fans, the 9 year olds who dress up to go to their shows, the people who got into it because they like guitar-based boybands and think Gerrard's hot (which he is, btw, even I'd fucking do him). I have no issue with people who dress up if it's a valid expression of themselves, my sister likes to go a little goth, but that's just her, and it's always been her, and always will be. She doesn't go with the "scene" dress sense, she just wears odd stuff. Again, in her defence, like me she's struggled with depression and self-harm. And none of this was "scene" or for the music, but our home life growing up was a bit fucked up.

I can spot a true MCR fan a mile off, and it was great fun taking the piss out of the fakes at the show. Was a great gig, my birthday present too. Gerrard's birthday's 2 days after mine, so they played a special matinee show, and I got tickets as my present. Now I hope from that you can see I'm not an obsessive fuckwit. If I was I'd be going "OMFG! Gerrard's birthday's 2 days after mine!" like most of those stupid 9 year old kids would. But so fucking what? I bet billions of cunts were born on the same week as I was. I do dwell on the fact that Kurt Cobain died the same week as my birthday, but that's because I found out about it the day after my 13th birthday and I took it badly.

Anyhoo, I like Swords. The hate on Emo as a genre isn't on, it's for cunts. It's like people who slag off punk music for being simplistic, stating that bands like Green Day use 3 chords. Because obviously Green Day are the only punk band ever, and the Clash's songs were never more complex than 3 chords! :icon_roll

To be fair, WTBF, I have no problem with the dwelling, and I like it. Like I said, it fits with my life and my experiences, if I didn't associate with it, I would stop listening to it, no matter how good it sounded. However if I continued to associate with it, and the "scene" died, I'd still listen to it, because I never liked it because it was "cool" to do so. For me music is about how it makes you feel, not how it sounds. It's the same with art, it's not what you see, it's what you feel. If you feel nothing, or worse, feel hate and dislike towards the work, then don't listen to it. But any artform is going to have people for whom it actually resonates, and people for whom it doesn't. Variety is good.
Old 22-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #27
GoPre

Quote:
and think Gerrard's hot (which he is, btw, even I'd fucking do him).

Ew. Gerrard is a fatty, not to mention really weir looking. And what the fuck is up with the ridiculous vest she wears all the time.

wishingtobefamous,

You're not aloud to talk about music, bye.
Old 23-08-2006, 12:03 AM   Senior Registered Member #28
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Honestly, if you're going to be a music jackass do it on the last.fm boards, at least there's more idiots there.

If the kid is just expressing him or herself i guess i don't have a problem. But they're like 9, i really doubt that the kids were real fans before they were on MTV or playing a show when tickets cost 30 bucks. I love seeing little kids at local shows because i always know they're gonna rock the fuck out. My town has such a good music scene... or at least i'm told so, whenever a touring band comes in.
Old 23-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #29
wishingtobefamous

now im not the target of the musical jackass comment am i?
Old 23-08-2006, 08:17 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #30
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman
If the kid is just expressing him or herself i guess i don't have a problem. But they're like 9, i really doubt that the kids were real fans before they were on MTV or playing a show when tickets cost 30 bucks.
Exactly. I hate that.

I actually do find that when kids are at gigs they're vicious little bastards in the mosh. In my case I don't have to worry about hurting them as I'm smaller than 9 year olds
Old 24-08-2006, 01:12 AM   Senior Registered Member #31
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Haha, cool. At least you can get in the mosh pit. I'm 6'2", and tall lanky people don't belong in pits. Unless they're skank pits, then i can hold my ground. Back in May, i saw Streetlight Manifesto and there was this little kid that couldn't be much older then 10 and he was tiny and kept losing his shoe while crowd surfing. That was probably the coolest little kid i've ever seen at a show.
Old 24-08-2006, 01:37 AM   #32
GoPre

One time while seeing Saosin I saw this 250 poundish close to 7 foot guy trashing.
Old 24-08-2006, 01:46 AM   Senior Registered Member #33
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Hehe, that's sort of cool and lame at the same time i think. I sort of think there's a code to moshing, and if you don't follow it then you're a complete douche.
Old 24-08-2006, 10:18 AM   Senior Registered Member #34
Arbery

i hate them...lots n lots. Annoying vocals, boring music and they have an annoying fan base...3 good reasons to hate them
Old 24-08-2006, 10:24 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #35
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

The bass line in "Give Em Hell Kid"

One much better reason TO like them

I'll give you "annoying fanbase" because I'm a fan

Just been listening to more MCR after a long absence and realised that they're a lot better than I thought. That's probably because I get bored if I hear a band over and over (even happens when its bands like Muse) and the same thing happened to me listening to MCR. But the music is not boring. And to be fair, even Matt Bellamy's vocals get annoying to me when I listen to Muse too much. Same with any decent vocalist.

On that basis then, you really do all suck and they, most definitely, do not.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:01 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #36
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Exactly. I hate that.

I actually do find that when kids are at gigs they're vicious little bastards in the mosh. In my case I don't have to worry about hurting them as I'm smaller than 9 year olds
The younger smaller people feel as if the way to hold their ground and stand up to the moshing seniors is by creating a whole lot of violence. Which is damn frustrating, but on the other hand, they usually end up getting elbow dropped by some 6"5 man mountain.
Which might be considered too much like "2 eyes for an eye" for some, until you come across these little bastards running around bent in two swinging their fists at groin height. Oh man, that boy got busted that day.
Old 24-08-2006, 12:29 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #37
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
they usually end up getting elbow dropped by some 6"5 man mountain.

You rannnnnng?
Old 24-08-2006, 12:40 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #38
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad

You rannnnnng?
Just find yourself a napalm death T shirt and some chains, and you'll do in a pinch
Old 27-08-2006, 05:28 AM   Senior Registered Member #39
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Oh, Napalm Death will kill any thread, and make your ears bleed with their shitty music.
Old 27-08-2006, 06:13 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #40
Liam
Bogan Elite

Theres nothing wrong with Napalm Death. Its not my normal fare but they are the undisputed kings of grind-death metal.

If you want your music to come with semi-intelligent lyrics AND kick you in the chops, Napalm Death is great.