Is KKW better since the server/forum changeover? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Administratum > KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues

KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues Anything relating to the website and forums themselves. You post it, we'll answer it.

View Poll Results: Is KKW better since the server/forum changeover?
Yes 7 26.92%
No, its worse 11 42.31%
Its the same 4 15.38%
I didnt visit the old forums 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-07-2004, 01:42 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #1
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

Is KKW better since the server/forum changeover?

To be honest I'd say no. For those of you who were regulars over at the old forums back in the good old days of the .com would know, the KKW forum is the pride of our litle establishment. It used to be buzzing with activity and also funny. Since the changeover however things seem to have changed for the worse, the forums are filled with unfunny spam, people are posting crude remarks about Keira and the overall experience is less appealing to newcomers

The point of this thread was to enable you to voice your opinion and to see whether you agree and ulitametly help decide whether a few changes are needed.

Dont spam this thread, you have the rest of them for that it seems, if you have nothing to add, vote on the poll and leave it at that.

apoggy

Last edited by barrington; 01-08-2004 at 06:54 PM.
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 01:45 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #2
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Nope (no offense). There's more spam and all it seems to be is Underated/Overated threads (no offense). We need more discussion. The only place right now that there seems to be discussion is the sex forum.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com

Last edited by Kelsey; 20-07-2004 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typos
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 02:22 AM   Officer #3
DragonRat
Officer

It's due to the influx of new members, and the fact that the recent premiere of King Arthur brings in unwanted attention to the forums. We just have to take the good with the bad, I suppose. The IRC actually is active now on more time periods than previously. But other than that, I find that the new forums are just slightly less secure and less comfortable than the old. Sure, we had our unwanted elements back in the old days (i.e., Aldera), but now a lot of what people post end up being spam or spam-like.

I hope that it moves toward a better environment. We just need to keep at it.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 02:44 AM   #4
Glare

Although I never really saw a lot of the old forum, I would agree that this new one is sort of newbish in a way, So many people spamming, in my opinion, the mods should come down on it hard, with 2nd offences carrying a 24 hour ban, all rules should be enforced to the max, if it continues, a life ban is imposed, if they come back (Dynamic IP) you could PM the server admin and have him deal with them to there ISP’s.

Thats just my view, If I was in charge I would have 24 hour bans for any spam, do it again and you're gone. I think thats a bit rough though.
Old 20-07-2004, 03:24 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #5
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Do you know how many times Haz would be banned?

When someone breaks a rule, a Moderator should kindly guide them towards the rules and regs. If the member then continues to break a rule, or argue with a moderator, he/she should be banned for 24 hours. Kind of the way it was way back when.

I agree with Arch about the newbie thing. There are a lot of them spamming, a couple that I can name off the top of my head. The rule needs to be enforced a little more roughly than it has been, because no one's going to stop if you don't do something about it.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 03:28 AM   Senior Registered Member #6
Richard
Dated

I miss all of my old posts, I had over 500. And I worked hard for it. Besides, there were many great threads I made back then and I can't remember what I wrote. But I am glad we have most of our old members back. Although, I miss The Black Rider & John Doe... JD's last comment to me was "Ah, Richard. My favourite member here", then he left. I actually saw The Black Rider on the Keira Forever forums, apparently he has chosen not to come back. Maybe he can't find the address. I think he thinks he's too good for us.
Old 20-07-2004, 03:45 AM   Senior Registered Member #7
gracie
Goddess

personnally i like it better. everyone was so fucking rude bitchy and generally hostile. id prefer newbie spam to that crap.

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 05:19 AM   #8
jadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I miss all of my old posts, I had over 500. And I worked hard for it. Besides, there were many great threads I made back then and I can't remember what I wrote. But I am glad we have most of our old members back. Although, I miss The Black Rider & John Doe... JD's last comment to me was "Ah, Richard. My favourite member here", then he left. I actually saw The Black Rider on the Keira Forever forums, apparently he has chosen not to come back. Maybe he can't find the address. I think he thinks he's too good for us.
Poor Richard. Yes it is sad when you lose all your post count that you worked hard for, believe me, I know.
Old 20-07-2004, 06:58 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

I voted the same. It just seems to be your regular forum, spam comes with it. I wasn't around the old forums long enough to accumlate a post count or notice the "funny" behaviour. I do enjoy the faster speed on these forums though.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 07:34 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #10
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie
personnally i like it better. everyone was so fucking rude bitchy and generally hostile. id prefer newbie spam to that crap.
As opposed to now, with fucking rude, bitchy and gerally hostile newbie spam? Great compromise
Old 20-07-2004, 08:34 AM   Officer #11
Ashlyn
Militia Lieutenant

It seems that some people may be posting (spamming) overtime to try and get their post count back up again or something. Also because the forum is pretty empty (compared to the old one) people just keep posting crap to fill it up (and then some people just have no idea). I liked the old forums better because they were firmly established and people generally stuck to the rules.
We need to publicise the anti-spam rules a lot more and have tougher rules for people who break them (I think some people tend to ignore the posts that enforce rules) Tougher moderating could give people a firmer idea of what stands and what doesn't so when newbies come along they learn straight away, but in the early days of the new forum it could scare people away (although scaring spammers away isn't always a bad thing)
hopefully the shoutbox will be a good way to reduce spamming. as for enforcing the rules more, i dont know how to do that apart from tougher moderating.
Ashlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 10:11 AM   Officer #12
DragonRat
Officer

Perhaps we should remove the post counts. Also, I have added a SPAM thread to the General Discussion board, which was quite popular in the days of the old forum. Hopefully, it can let out the spam from members' systems.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 01:23 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #13
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

It's neither funny or original. We had atleast some measure of that in the old forums. That is not to say, however, that these aspects cannot return. All that is required is some thought on the part of everyone who posts. Difficult? Maybe. Possible? Unlikely. Neccessary? Definitely.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 03:21 PM   Senior Registered Member #14
KeirazBabe
The Kewlest

Hmm... well i'll deffo vote the old forum.. that was before it turned bad and i got shoved out of my own home i so lovingly created *wipes tear* so in a way starting all over again enabled me to come back..but i still miss the old forum!

xXx
KeirazBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 07:17 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
Sephiroth v2.0

Quote:
Perhaps we should remove the post counts. Also, I have added a SPAM thread to the General Discussion board, which was quite popular in the days of the old forum. Hopefully, it can let out the spam from members' systems.
If I remember correctly in the old forum thats why we didn't have postcounts unless you looked a members profiles.
Old 21-07-2004, 12:08 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #16
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Actually the "Newcomer" thing seems to have made a few people spam to get it to register as "member"...perhaps something could be done on that score...unless of course the admins like the "newcomer" tag which is cool...I don't have an issue with it per se.

Hmmm...bans for spamming...in that case...I'll say my goodbyes now
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 12:03 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #17
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

Newcomer -> Member is a little 30-post incentive with (I feel) just enough room to enourage new registrants to post sufficiently enough to stand a good chance of being drawn into the community.

Things have gone markedly downhill since The Great Crash, but we're working on it. Moderation is becoming progressively more strict, we have new rules for dealing with the cretins and we're trying to turn out some discussion-worthy intelligent threads.

It's on the mend.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 12:50 PM   Senior Registered Member #18
ryan

I don't like the new forum layout as much as the old...maybe it's just me, though.

and yes, we seem to lack good discussion, other than the sex threads.
i dont even think ive started to read anything in KK discusson or general in a while.
it all just seems a bit boring.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 10:18 AM   #19
Edward

it's much faster and better now but...

as soon as that "Forums" link hit the kkwavefront front page, all this spam started to creep in now

and.., are you not able to let people only see your post count if they goto your profile? like in the old forums

cause people are probably posting as much as they can as their postcount is on show
Old 22-07-2004, 02:56 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #20
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

In accordance with your wishes I have disabled the counting of posts on the thread display pages (still available on profile and memberlist) just like we had on the old forums. This did markedly improve the quality of the forums last time we did it.

For reference, I waited so long this time in an effort to rebuild the forums after the crash. Spam or not, lots of posting generates a posting momentum. Post Counts are like stabilisers on a bicycle - there for reassurance and encouragement. Now that things are getting back in order I think it's time to remove them and let it soar on it's own! (ever the optomist)

Thanks for reminding me.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote