Travesty!!! - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > The Hole > Absolutely Bananas

Absolutely Bananas Completely unmoderated, guest-friendly forum. A test replacement for the shoutbox.

Old 30-06-2006, 07:11 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #1
Digital_Ice

Travesty!!!

If your not a geek/gamer/nerd or other social outcast due to an interest in technology, stop reading now.

Dell buys Alienware

Quote:
Folks, having just gotten off the phone with Alex Aguila, Alienware’s President and COO, I can finally confirm that the rumors you’ve been hearing for weeks are true: Dell has purchased Alienware.

Whoah!

Those of you who have written to me with concerns that Dell will simply take the Alienware brand name and stick it in on their existing XPS gaming systems can rest easy: Alienware has become a wholly owned subsidiary of Dell and, by and large, the two companies will continue to function independently of each other. Dell will still build their own systems. Alienware will still build theirs. Both sets of management teams will remain intact.

So why the marriage? Well, this deal certainly gives Dell a much-needed boost of “hipness,” but more importantly, it also gives them a way, at long last, to sell AMD-powered PCs – the processor brand of choice for the majority of today’s PC gamers. And as for Alienware, well, it probably gives them more money than I could count in three lifetimes with which to invest in new technologies.

It’s far too early to speculate about how this deal will affect the PC landscape, but it’s a testament to the state of PC gaming today that Dell, the world’s largest and most influential PC supplier, saw value in a company like Alienware – a niche company whose sole business is building kick-ass PCs for we gamers.
http://www.pcgamer.com/archives/2006...rmed_dell.html

ok, so its not *that* much of a travesty, alienware is still alienware... but Dell?!! of all the companies... why dell?
Old 30-06-2006, 07:14 PM   Senior Registered Member #2
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

It's good that they'll be working independently from one another. It's always lame when one company buys and destroys another. If Alienware can invest in new technologies, and if we can get the product for a cheaper price than everyone wins. And winning is best.
Old 30-06-2006, 07:17 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #3
Digital_Ice

yes... but............................ dell?!?
Old 30-06-2006, 07:20 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Dell's huge! They have a lot of money. This could be a good thing for Alienware.

Wait . . . Dell? WTF?! DELL!

Dell . . . you blowhard!
Old 30-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
calereneau

I read this a few months ago. I've never really been rich enough to afford an alienware so this doesn't really affect me. I don't think it'll be that much of an issue though since Dell already has their own line of gaming computers and "cool looking" computers. i think alienware will remain largely independent from the mama company.
Old 30-06-2006, 08:12 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #6
Digital_Ice

that's not the point. its the principal of the thing.

and yeah, the rumours been floating for a while, but it was only confirmed this week.
Old 30-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Klown
Newcomer

I have an Alienware and it kicks ass. If it works out the way it should AlienWare should have tons more money to play around with (hopefully making some of their parts cheaper) and build even more kickass computers.

Why anyone but Dell?
Old 30-06-2006, 10:25 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #8
Liam
Bogan Elite

I used to think the same: Dell was evil, built shit computers, etc.

Then I started to work with them. Their computers have a build quality second to none and the technical support and warranty staff are awesome. I was so impressed with Dell at work that I chose them for my laptop.

I never thought much of brand-name gaming computers (if you want maximum performance per dollar, build it yourself) but as far as I can see Dell's acquisition of Alienware can only be a good thing for both the Dell and Alienware brands.
Old 30-06-2006, 10:28 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #9
Digital_Ice

hmmm, on the complete contrast I've had nothing but trouble with dell, their call centres are in India (or were) they components are (or were) glued in place resulting in a severe sliced finger from trying to upgrade ram. needless to say this was four years back, and i haven't dealt with them since, so maybe they've improved, but i still stick by my reservations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
I never thought much of brand-name gaming computers (if you want maximum performance per dollar, build it yourself)
well of course
Old 30-06-2006, 10:35 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #10
Liam
Bogan Elite

My work purchased 15-odd Dell workstations (not sure of the exact number) for the IT and purchasing departments. They haven't skipped a beat since, and have been upgraded twice by either myself or other IT staff. No problems with glue or anything, although I did manage to slip and slice my hand open on a CPU heatsink.

I'm not sure about call centres as much of our tech-support correspondance is through email, but the IT manager at work never seemed to have problems with the phone. The laptops have proved slightly more problematic due to the dusty environment at work but any time a part has failed a Dell rep has rocked up next business day with replacement parts.

Sure, there are areas which could be improved (Indian call centres being one, if you are right) but on the whole they are 100% better than most other large technology warehouses.
Old 30-06-2006, 10:38 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #11
Digital_Ice

meh, ah well, i don't freelance for the company that used dell anymore. and now all systems I maintain are custom builds. but heh, you've opened my eyes Liam. lol.
Old 30-06-2006, 11:04 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #12
Liam
Bogan Elite

Beware the heatsink.
Old 30-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #13
calereneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Ice
that's not the point. its the principal of the thing.

and yeah, the rumours been floating for a while, but it was only confirmed this week.

I disagree

http://gear.ign.com/articles/697/697699p1.html
Old 01-07-2006, 01:19 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #14
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

I used to work for a company that was a partner of Dell's and I can tell you that the service levels for consumers BLOW, but if you're a business customer they'll bend over backwards to keep you happy. Dell really aren't as crap as everyone thinks, most the big companies in the city use them (for example the Arsenal.com website is run off Dell servers. I know this because I sold them memory for them ).
Old 01-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #15
iximisspiggyixi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
I used to work for a company that was a partner of Dell's and I can tell you that the service levels for consumers BLOW, but if you're a business customer they'll bend over backwards to keep you happy. Dell really aren't as crap as everyone thinks, most the big companies in the city use them (for example the Arsenal.com website is run off Dell servers. I know this because I sold them memory for them ).
Dell are AWFUL. My computer is a piece of shit, and whenever I need help with it, it's the biggest hassle in the world to get through to them and get the help I need.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:51 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #16
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iximisspiggyixi
Dell are AWFUL. My computer is a piece of shit, and whenever I need help with it, it's the biggest hassle in the world to get through to them and get the help I need.
Like I said, awful for the consumer, good for businesses.