Footballing News - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 16-07-2004, 10:12 AM   Officer #1
DragonRat
Officer

Footballing News

Yeah, I guess the idea of a football thread taken after the Euro thread was a bit of a disaster. I hope that this new thread can revive fans of the beautiful game, to start posting more. As I write this, I read up on the latest transfer rumors, the biggest one of all being: Vieira to Real Madrid, and Morientes & 30 million sterling to Arsenal.

As the days pass, I read more news about it, and it IS quite disturbing to the everday Gunners fan. Oh captain, my captain, Paddy to leave Highbury and the team, even before he has set foot on Ashburton Grove or chanced a Champions League trophy with the red-and-white? Even with the striking skills of Morientes at our beckon call, the midfield simply would not be the same. One could believe that Kolo Toure could move up to midfield - his natural position before converting to a center-back - but then this new season would have a relative youngster compared to Paddy's powerhouse technique in the middle of the pitch.

Still, if Paddy were to leave Arsenal, that 30 million sterling would go well to securing someone of his equivalent talent. I would love to see someone like...say, Steven Gerrard, join the Gunners. If Wenger could acquire Yaya Toure with a work permit, then that would also be awesome. Still, the loss of Vieira would easily send a message to the rest of Europe, and equal the idea of Florentino Perez' call for "every player has a price". I dislike that attitude, simply because loyalty to a club loses its value and volume, if that were to be true. Sure, Real Madrid is the biggest club in the world, but one should never join under the circumstances of greed. Besides, on any given day, Arsenal are world-beaters, and they could definitely oust Real Madrid.

However, it's not necessarily Perez' team to manager; it's Camacho's. And if Camacho says he either wants Emerson or Carvalho, then Perez will have to give up his pipe dream of getting Paddy to play in the white. It would be more likely, if Camacho demanded the re-acquisition of Makelele, someone who is more attuned to the Spanish game, and was a key member in Real's "dream teams" of the recent past.

I simply hope that greed is not the principle behind Paddy's possible leave. Ljungberg has urged him to stay, and hopefully, Henry and Pires are doing so in private. Besides, they can get him after his contract is up. THEN we'll get Yaya and Gerrard. Just give us three years, Real. Then we'll give him up for 30 million.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 11:37 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Chelsea has thier first pre-season game tomorrow!

I can't wait for the regular season so I can get some of the games on TV here.
CFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 04:23 AM   #3
alby

I'm more partial to AC Milan. I'm going to go watch them play Manchester and Chelsea later this summer. Hehe.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 04:27 AM   Senior Registered Member #4
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Manchester and Chelsea all the way this season!!!
Anywho, what team do you want to see go all the way?
Old 17-07-2004, 04:34 AM   Officer #5
DragonRat
Officer

All the way for what? The Prem title or the Champions League? As I see it, if Paddy stays - which I most likely think he will - and Wenger goes out and gets his desired targets - Trabelsi and Morientes, to name a few - then it's going to be hard not to see the Gunners go all the way again. Chelsea look pretty good this season, with newcomers Kezman and Ferreira (and Drogba), but the new players will have to adapt to the Premiership style.

For United, they really have not done much to improve their status, although the returns of Ferdinand and Queiroz will aid them. I doubt they can challenge Arsenal for the title this year, but of course, it's unwise to put it past United. They've never gone two straight seasons in the Premiership without the title...

As for the Champions League, the main contenders I can see are Real Madrid and AC Milan. Both added to their already star-studded lineups. Of course, as a Gunners fan, I wouldn't put it the trophy past Arsenal, although they need to prove to the rest of Europe that they can best the best of them.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
Old 17-07-2004, 04:38 AM   Senior Registered Member #6
frodo1511
Pin Dick

[quote=DragonRat]All the way for what? The Prem title or the Champions League?

My bad. What I meant to say is what team do you want to see win the Championship/Premiership? Sorry for the confusion
Old 17-07-2004, 01:48 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

woah didn't know Viera was leaving Arsenal... I really should catch up with the footballing news, but its been quiet over here after all the europe leagues finished.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 04:29 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Sat, Jul 17
Chelsea Vs Oxford United

Draw, 1-1
Old 17-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
Edward

Aston Villa!!!!!! all the way....

hmm, Angel and Vassell signed new contracts, as well as Barry

we got Cole on loan from chelsea :/

err......new kit looks good (new sponsor)

Chelsea are crap!! , we beat you 2 out of 3 last season, 3-2 and 2-1
Old 17-07-2004, 05:21 PM   #10
KeiraDream

Hopefully the good old Port Vale can actually get promoted to the first division this year. COME ON!!!!
Old 17-07-2004, 05:54 PM   First Class Member Officer #11
Sarah
Nice

Grimsby just won their first Friendly. The only way is up! (really)
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 06:10 PM   Senior Registered Member #12
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Here's a match report:

Striker Mateja Kezman scored on his Chelsea debut on Saturday as Jose Mourinho's team were held by Oxford at the Kassam Stadium.

Veteran striker Tommy Mooney scored on his Oxford debut to give the League Two team a half-time lead.

But Serbia and Montenegro international Kezman hit the woodwork twice before equalising for Chelsea.

Kezman had started alongside Eidur Gudjohnsen in attack as new coach Mourinho fielded his first line-up.

And Chelsea controlled possession throughout the first half but rarely troubled Oxford in the opening stages.

It was not until the 18th minute that Chelsea managed to get a shot on target, but Kezman's strike was easily saved by Oxford goalkeeper Chris Tardif.

However, Mourinho's team eventually started to find more cutting edge and Kezman rattled the crossbar with a fierce shot after Eidur Gudjohnsen had flicked the ball into the area.

Gudjohnsen headed narrowly wide after Geremi broke into the area and Kezman had another shot deflected into the arms of Tardif.

Keeper Tardif, a summer signing from Portsmouth, also had to be alert to beat away a sharp Joe Cole strike.

Graham Rix's Oxford had created little against his former club but Carlo Cudicini could do little to stop Mooney as he burst into the area just before the break and fired home from close range.

Kezman hit the woodwork again after 54 minutes when a rising shot took a deflection and rebounded off the post and Alexei Smertin had a long-range effort pushed away by substitute keeper Simon Cox.

Chelsea were almost caught out again just after the hour when Julian Alsop, a sixth-minute replacement for the injured Lee Bradbury, had a header cleared off the line by Celestine Babayaro.

Former Porto forward Felipe Oliveira came on for Chelsea at half-time and he teeded up the equaliser for Kezman after 66 minutes.

The former PSV Eindhoven star made no mistake from 10 yards after finding space to Oliveira's left.

Oxford were almost back ahead within two minutes but Cudicini tipped over from Michael Alexis.

The pace of the game dropped noticeably in the last 10 minutes as Oxford held on for a morale-boosting draw
Old 18-07-2004, 04:02 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #13
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Me and DR really shouldn't talk so long about football...he nicked my point about Makelele being more likely to return to Real with Emerson probably going to Chelsea...bah! And that was before I even TOLD him about it...

Vieira will be an Arsenal man next season for my money. The captaincy is just too much for him to give up I feel. That said, if he went, we could cope...it's more the precedent it would set. Like DR said, I disagree with the "everyone has their price" crap.

As for the league...Arsenal will be favourites...United will be strong...and depending on what Liverpool do they'll be challenging...but I still think we should just about be too good.

Champions League...hmm...I suspect we showed against Inter in the San Siro what we're capable of. If we got Trabelsi and Morientes, that'd be the CL signed sealed and delivered in my book, as the only flaws we've had in Europe have been Lauren's positional sense (great going forward but was at fault for most of our European goals conceded) and the lack of a player who can hold the ball up and score goals at CL level...

Then again...Franny Jeffers was good tonight...10-1 to Arsenal...ok...it might only have been Barnet...but still...10-1...may only have been a pre-season friendly...but 10-1...
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 06:22 AM   Senior Registered Member #14
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Hope he (jeffers) does well this season... I didn't like his form much when he was in Arsenal before loan to uhm... Everton.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 18-07-2004, 12:59 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #15
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviljet88
Hope he (jeffers) does well this season... I didn't like his form much when he was in Arsenal before loan to uhm... Everton.
Yeah...I think this may be his year though. I think if he impresses in the other pre-season games, he'll stay at Arsenal...he grabbed a hat-trick against Barnet...time'll tell if he does it against the better sides we're facing this summer like River Plate and Ajax. I think he'll end up being our 5th choice striker, behind Henry, Reyes, Bergkamp and Van Persie...with Alladiere going out on loan...but I think he'll be willing to take that...I think he regrets not having been a part of the unbeaten season last season...even if he hadn't played many games, so long as he played his 10 league games (and Wenger would've done what he could to ensure he did) he'd have gotten his medal...from a memorable season. Then again, is he an Arsenal type player? Not sure his pace/touch is good enough...and if we can get Morientes, may yet be a good idea to let Franny go.
Old 18-07-2004, 02:39 PM   Senior Registered Member #16
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

I don't think Viera should leave Arsenal. If he does go to Real, he will be a much different player there because most of the glory will go to Zidane, Ronaldo and the other big names they have there.
Old 18-07-2004, 03:20 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #17
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC
I don't think Viera should leave Arsenal. If he does go to Real, he will be a much different player there because most of the glory will go to Zidane, Ronaldo and the other big names they have there.
Wow...a Chelsea fan wants Vieira to stay at Arsenal?!?! Amazing

Yeah...I agree...captain...key player to our team...could lift the Champions League with us.

I suspect the only reason he's not denied it yet is his agent is trying to get him a raise...I suspect if the club is forced to, they'll pay the difference between what he's paid and what Real would pay him.
Old 18-07-2004, 04:10 PM   Senior Registered Member #18
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Since this is a football thread and not a Chelsea thread and I am trying to give nonbiased opinions.
Old 19-07-2004, 07:18 AM   Officer #19
DragonRat
Officer

I think, from what I've read so far online about the Vieira situation, that Paddy will most likely leave Highbury. It's a sad thing, but I guess, like Becks, he's done all he could do in the Premiership, and the next plateau is the other great league, La Liga, with none other than Real Madrid. (With that first-team side, they will almost immediately guarantee the Champions League, unless they get another striker.)

But here's the rub: Madrid don't have the money to cough up any selling price that Wenger would offer for Vieira...say 30-40 million pounds. If Camacho does not get Emerson, and he's not willing to get someone like Maniche or Makelele, then he will want to go for Vieira. Yet, how is he going to raise the money for the bid? He's going to have to sell one of his key players. Bring in Ronaldo.

Of course, Chelsea is the only club in the world whose checkbook never runs out. And Ronaldo has said that he wants to play in the Premiership at one point or another. Ronaldo would provide a definitive scoring threat alongside Kezman, Mutu, and Gudjohnsen (God knows that looks an incredible strikeforce comparable to Milan's Shevchenko, Tomasson, Inzaghi, and Crespo). Real would ask for a selling price of about 40-50 million pounds, and Roman will have no trouble meeting that price. With the money, Real could finance a matching bid for Vieira, and onward he goes to Real, for 30 million pounds and Morientes (we would never ask for anything less...and we're in the hunt for someone of Morientes' caliber anyway).

So, with 30 million pounds and a key player in the European game, we could definitely make a bid for the next best holding midfielder in the Prem (if not, all of Europe) - Steven Gerrard. Sure, Gerrard has said that he wants to win the Premiership as captain of Liverpool, but he could more likely win the Premiership as captain of Arsenal. (Rather, if Vieira leaves, it's more probable that Sol would get the captainship, and Gerrard could assume it in a few years' time.) But the chance to play for Wenger and an awesome side that includes some of his England teammates and Henry...Benitez would have to consider that 30 million bid quite handsome. At this point, Wenger is also trying to persuade Hatem Trabelsi that Arsenal can win the Prem and the CL without Vieira.

If Wenger can work his magic, Trabelsi, Gerrard and Morientes will be ours by the time this fiasco is done. In 1999, one other renowned French player of ours - Nicolas Anelka - demanded a move to Real Madrid, which was accepted for a princely sum, a third of which was used to buy a relatively unknown Juventus winger named Thierry Henry, and the rest to buy a defensive back named Lauren and another winger named Robert Pires. The rest, they say, is Gunners history.

(Imagine it now, as it were, an epic Champions League final, between Arsenal and Real Madrid. The magnificent 'galacticos' of Madrid - including former Gunners captain Patrick Vieira - squaring off against Arsene Wenger's quick and beautiful total football, one of its starting forwards the former Madrid player who literally kicked Real out of the CL the year before, Fernando Morientes.)

I would applaud Wenger twice over, if he could get past this plausible move of his best transfer - even before he was made manager, mind you - and, with three key components to next season, win the treble at Highbury.

Old 19-07-2004, 01:16 PM   Senior Registered Member #20
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

The way you put it DR, it could be cool for Arsenal at the end of the tranfers. See I don't like Vieria personally so I don't really care if he gets transferred since 30 million, I'd hope, could get back a decent midfielder.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp