Global Warming - Fact or Fiction? - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-01-2005, 04:16 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #41
apoggy
Mmm Marmite
 
apoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 1,274
there is a difference between producing a concept car and something to be put on the production lines to be mass produced. What you, or they failed to mention was the cost, which I expect is significant for its looks and performance.
__________________
If this was school I would be expelled for poor attendance.
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 05:05 PM   #42
Alias
Newcomer
 
Alias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7
Good point. It may be expensive and just a concept now, but their steps in the right direction, there was another car like this at the paris motor show which seemed like it could be mass produced, i think they might have just changed the engine and kept the body but im not sure.
Alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #43
SimplyKnightley
Member
 
SimplyKnightley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
there are recycling bins in my neighbourhood for plastic, paper and cans. i do keep plastic bottles (shampoo, skin care products etc) for recycling but that's about my only involvement with saving the earth. i know there's more to be done. this concept should be imbued from young in schools so it comes naturally to people to spare more thought for pollution and global warming before they do something destructive. simple acts like buying refills, using recycled paper, no littering can make a lot of difference. it's about how much you care and the effort you are willing to put in.
__________________
Life is drawing
without an eraser
SimplyKnightley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 12:16 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #44
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree
 
barrington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,121
Hear hear! A ideal concept - a planet where everyone's primary instinct is an imbued desire is to save their world.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 12:35 AM   Senior Registered Member #45
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
We need a leader though, kinda like Captain Planet.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 12:51 AM   #46
Zavender
Member
 
Zavender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 74
Ughh, Captain Planet. Such a terrible cartoon.
__________________
Look who just ruined Halloween... You know, you're like an A-Bomb. Everyone's laughin', havin' a good time, and then you show up. BOOM! Everything's dead.
Zavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 01:24 AM   Senior Registered Member #47
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavender
Ughh, Captain Planet. Such a terrible cartoon.
At least it cared for the environment. Compared to whatever anime cartoon you watch, it's probably more useful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 01:34 AM   #48
Zavender
Member
 
Zavender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 74
It maybe more useful, but it wasn't entertaining. The episodes with Captain Pollution were pretty cool, but other than that, I hated it.
__________________
Look who just ruined Halloween... You know, you're like an A-Bomb. Everyone's laughin', havin' a good time, and then you show up. BOOM! Everything's dead.
Zavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #49
Physis
Newcomer
 
Physis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 14
"According to the National Academy of Sciences, the Earth's surface temperature has risen by about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the past century, with accelerated warming during the past two decades. There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities. Human activities have altered the chemical composition of the atmosphere through the buildup of greenhouse gases – primarily carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. The heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed although uncertainties exist about exactly how earth’s climate responds to them. Since the beginning of the industrial revolution, atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide have increased nearly 30%, methane concentrations have more than doubled, and nitrous oxide concentrations have risen by about 15%." Nuff said! http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwa...ent/index.html

Plus, I know for a fact that Honda and Toyota are both taking steps to produce low-emmision vehicles. For example, the Toyota Prius is a hybrid car already on the market and it's only about $20,000 and the 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid, although it costs about $30,000, is still available. And those prices are still extremely cheap for a car.
__________________
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time. :icon_guin
Physis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 08:05 PM   Officer #50
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi
 
Flightfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 678


What is Kyoto?
The Kyoto protocol has the aim to reduce the emission of carbon dioxide with 5.2% under the carbon dioxide level of 1990.
Who does not cooperate with it? Big countries like the USA, China and India.
Knowing that they just need to put a coffee filter on their industries to accomplish the norm, while Europe and others need to invest big amounts of money above the measures we already took.
__________________
....-> 3rd Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!<-.....
The lobbying groups all hate him and thats a good sign.
You may laugh because I'm different, but I laugh because you're all the same! Quote Narg aka Brendon Gilson RIP
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #51
AureaMediocritas
Member
 
AureaMediocritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Paris 15 (yeehaa)
Posts: 319
Absolutely.
Ironically enough, the U.S are among the countries that will be affected first
by climatic deterioration , as far as diversity of nature is concerned.
It seems that in Alaska, some habitations are literally "swallowed" by the earth
as higher temperatures turn initially rigid and dry soil into mud.
It is about time to THINK about assuring survival of mankind in the future ,
even if reckless capitalism is still predominant everywhere , or start a more
massive production of boats , gas masks and coffins (not crematoria, obviously).
I wish you luck.
__________________
"I can't tell you how happy I was when that bullet finally went through that bloke's head."
Sir Ian Kershaw on finishing Hitler : Nemesis 1936-1945
AureaMediocritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 11:10 AM   Senior Registered Member #52
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
That's not ENTIRELY true... The protocol decided to excempt developed countries, which incidentally include India and China. However, I get your point as this editorial says:

Its supporters say Kyoto is a symbolic first step. But how many first steps have their already been. Who remembers the Rio Earth Summit of 1992 or its decisions? No one, because they were ignored. Kyoto is doomed too, not just because it does not include the US, but also because it does include China, India, and Brazil. If global gas emissions are to be reduced, they all have to be brought into the equation.

You also have to understand that most of the Chinese people aren't extremely rich, and in countries of such large populations, you need as cheap as (and its easy to find) possible labour and fuels to suceed, which sadly damages the environment. Find a solution?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 04:43 PM   Officer #53
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi
 
Flightfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 678
Doing something about the unfair poor rich situation would help.
How many western companies moved their fabrics to the east to escape from the strict environment rules, and the cheap workers? ALOT
But for those governments is work for their people the first priority.
The problem in India is not only the poor people, but the way they think about life. They don’t give a damn about environment in their life philosophy.
China is not longer in the category of "third world country" i believe, they are a NIC (new industrialised country's) now.
They have a huge coal industry and don’t really want to invest in alternatives, so in way they need to get the correct signal, but if countries like the US don’t cooperate well than why should they? The US made a fool of the whole thing again (luckily we have them to play the cop of the world, *COUGH*).
The effect of the Kyoto protocol on it self will make a change of 10 - 15 years on a hundred year base what is of course not enough.
But it is signal; it is a step to change our life habits.
The alternatives exists but the economy and governments (that are directly connected with each other) earn still too much money on fossil fuels.

The reason why the USA doesn’t corporate with the Kyoto norm is because there were some agreements in it that would have a negative effect for their economy and power position. (When will they finally understand that they need to give up their power position, it has a fucking bad affect on the world)
__________________
....-> 3rd Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!<-.....
The lobbying groups all hate him and thats a good sign.
You may laugh because I'm different, but I laugh because you're all the same! Quote Narg aka Brendon Gilson RIP
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 11:09 PM   Senior Registered Member #54
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
They are trying. The Three Gorges Dam Project (which has environmental debates for and against, but since this is about Global Warming, I don't care) on the Yangtze River when finished will generate around 40 million tonnes of coal being burnt. About 25 billion US dollars is being spent on it. I think they're trying to invest in alternatives...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 10:17 AM   Officer #55
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi
 
Flightfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 678
I hope so,
Belgium could have been the number one for alternative energy, but the current prime minister cancelled al the projects in 1985.
Now countries like Sweden are the number ones and earn al lot of money with projects for wind energy...
__________________
....-> 3rd Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!<-.....
The lobbying groups all hate him and thats a good sign.
You may laugh because I'm different, but I laugh because you're all the same! Quote Narg aka Brendon Gilson RIP

Last edited by Flightfreak; 19-02-2005 at 01:03 PM. Reason: grammar of course
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 11:22 AM   Officer #56
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi
 
Flightfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 678
Water crisis looms as Himalayan glaciers retreat
Melting glaciers in the Himalayas - among the world's fastest retreating glaciers due to the effects of global warming - could lead to water shortages for hundreds of millions of people. » Read more
Witnesses to climate change - read their stories and see, through their eyes, how climate change is affecting their lives.
__________________
....-> 3rd Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!<-.....
The lobbying groups all hate him and thats a good sign.
You may laugh because I'm different, but I laugh because you're all the same! Quote Narg aka Brendon Gilson RIP
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 11:34 AM   Senior Registered Member #57
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
We won't be seeing much until the Statue of Liberty gets washed out to sea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 01:22 AM   Senior Registered Member #58
hannahjane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackYang
BLAME IT ON CHINA!!!
I hate to break it to you, (even if you are taking the piss), but China actually emits a much lower percentage of pollution per person than other leading countries; it's just that China is also a lot BIGGER (isn't it the third biggest country in the world?), and thus obviously it's going to emit more pollution than smaller countries. But, on the whole, it's not that bad - Britain is tiny and per person, emits a lot more. Also, as China becomes more developed IT IS polluting our environment more - but, as it claims, it has a certain right to. America and Britain have had their fair share of polluting the environment, and there are now regulations in place which allow China a certain amount of emmition; similar to Britian's levels gone before it. The other countries know full well they can't criticize China for something they themselves, have also been responsible for. Basically, if China wasn't so big it wouldn't pollute our environment so much.

Also, it's interesting that no-one has yet mentioned Global Dimming - the new environmental phenomena; the opposite to Global Warming. Global Dimming is basically the environmentalists way of saying; "we're f*cked either way". Basically, if we decrease the level of harmful gases we release into the atomsphere (such as Sulphur Dioxide), we'll decrease the earth's temperature which will incite Global Dimming - it's to do with random droplet clouds and reflection, I can't be arsed getting into (and frankly, I can't recollect it all)...

There's a kind of selfish part of me that sometimes thinks; "can I be arsed saving the environment?", and I like the fact that I'm honest enough to admit that, but then I think of my future kids, and their future kids., and so on....and then I'm thinking, something must be done. If the Americans would sign the Environmental Treaty; we'd get a lot further, but - despite the fact that the US is the biggest contributer to the Warming process - Bush refuses to promise to decrease the levels of Sulphur and Carbon he emits. What a gimp. I can't believe he won the recent election. Also I think the environmental scientists are being a little too optimistic, and thus, are setting us up for failure - which does no-one's confidence any good. For example, Britian alone was expected to reduce it's pollution emission by 30% within a time period of just two years, and by a whopping 70% within the next five (or something)! Obviously, we did not meet these ambitious targets; which sent out the disconcerning message of failure. If it felt like measures were being successful, perhaps more people would bother with trying to conserve the environment.

On the topic of "when will they make environmentally friendly cars", to which someone answered; "never". They already have. Cars which run on electricity can be bought, though for ridiculous amounts of money, and obviously they are not wide-spread yet; but they conserve a lot of important resources such as oil. (If we continue using that at the rate that we do we've only got 45 years of the stuff left. I think we've got about 240 years left of coal).

Finally, the thread-starter post mentions the new book by the Jurassic Park author; I think it's worth noting that although (without having read the book) I am lead to believe it contains solid scientific information, I am still informed that it is classed, nonetheless, as fiction. And thus, we can't be expected to believe all it entails. (C'mon he's the author of JURASSIC PARK for god's sake....when was the last time you saw a T-Rex walking down ya street?!)
hannahjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 08:19 AM   Officer #59
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi
 
Flightfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 678
i think i have a new crush,...,want to mary me?

Quote:
Also I think the environmental scientists are being a little too optimistic, and thus, are setting us up for failure - which does no-one's confidence any good. For example, Britian alone was expected to reduce it's pollution emission by 30% within a time period of just two years, and by a whopping 70% within the next five (or something)! Obviously, we did not meet these ambitious targets; which sent out the disconcerning message of failure. If it felt like measures were being successful, perhaps more people would bother with trying to conserve the environment.
Actually they found a trick for that. If a country sees that they are not going to make it (the 30% for example) than they can buy "clean air" in Russia.
Something what always annoys me is that, countries spend billions of dollars on prestige projects, knowing that they could spend that money on reducing the price of solar cells.
Because now the billing price of solar sells is expensive.
I also annoy my self to the fact that the Belgium state could reduce the energy costs of the public buildings with 30% if they would make those buildings more energy durable.
It annoys me that the world spends billions of dollars on space projects while the half of the world doesn’t even have decent drinking water!
(Ah well maybe capitalism isn’t as pretty like most people think it is)
We spend billions of dollars to fly to the moon, but we can’t make the emission of harmful gasses drop, why? The replacing technologies already exist, money should also not be a problem, if we can fly to the moon,...
The world raised and will disappear again too, humans won’t be able to stay on earth.
But is that a reason to say, “what do I care, it will pass my time”
That’s like saying “I wont be careful with my new car, he will be broke in 10 years anyway”
Apparently people have it a lot easier to care about their own car, than caring about the world they live on.
__________________
....-> 3rd Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!<-.....
The lobbying groups all hate him and thats a good sign.
You may laugh because I'm different, but I laugh because you're all the same! Quote Narg aka Brendon Gilson RIP
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 08:29 AM   Senior Registered Member #60
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
KKW is now the home of spontaneus marriage proposals... Back on topic, that's some great arguing there, FF... Yes, why shouldn't we cut budget spending from law enforcement and defense and god knows what else, when the poor and hungry are... well poor and hungry? Here's an idea, let's have charity organizations run our countries!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.