The Random Picture Thread - Page 6 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 21-06-2006, 12:43 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #101
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
High definition means that over the course of a 90-minute contest, both scoring chances can be viewed with crystal clarity.
Old 21-06-2006, 01:33 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #102
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

I find that attitude really silly as well Brad. I mean where's the fun in a high-scoring game if they're ALL high-scoring? Plus you lose all appreciation for any of the build-up or skill, all that ever matters is the scoreline. You get no appreciation of who's the better team, just who can score more.

You could effectively not bother watching American football and just listen to it, you'd still know just as much about the skill of the players as someone watching it. The same can't be said of OUR version.

I like American Football, actually, but only the tight low-scoring games. They build tension. There's no tension in a game where you're being whooped by 30 or 40 points by the 10th minute. This is why cricket is interesting, especially Test cricket, but I suppose the patience and complexity confuse you. Fast-moving games are for people with small attention spans.

Incidentally, it's also very very wrong. If any American watched Argentina whoop the Serbs 6-0 in this World Cup they'd know that. Argentina had about a dozen more chances to score too. Against a team that conceded just one goal in qualifying for the tournament, so they're not shit. High scoring matches happen in football, there was a 5-4 North London derby the other year that was end-to-end thrilling stuff.

And made all the better by the fact we don't see it every week.

Ours sports involve the world. American sports involve America. You're probably scared that if you ever bothered to export your sports properly you'd get beaten by foreigners. Didn't you get beaten by both the Cannucks and Mexicans at Baseball? Shame.

Since OUR version of football is more popular around the world than yours, the word belongs to us. Not to mention it's our language. From hereon in American "Football" is to be refered to as "NFL" and "soccer" is banned. Football if you please, or simply don't talk about it.

Now get back on topic Leading by example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mothershipcat.jpg (11.4 KB, 72 views)
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 03:10 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #103
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Soccer fans are such snobs. Just because everyone in the world plays it, doesn't mean that it is the ultimate sport when it comes to skill and/or strategy. Every time I get into a debate with soccer-fan, they point to these things and tell me that I must just not understand soccer. Wrong. I played soccer for years, and watched a lot of Rowdies games in the late '70s and early '80s. I understand the game just fine.
Truthfully, when it comes to skill and strategy, American football has more than enough. There is more strategy invovled in a single play on the gridiron than any twenty minutes of a soccer game. Every single player has multiple assignments on every play, and those assignments change depending on what they read at the line of scrimmage.
As for the "listening on the radio" comment...BOLLOCKS!
Any American who watched the Rose Bowl can tell you that.

Vince Young

Reggie Bush

Ditto for anyone who's ever watched Barry Sanders make all eleven guys on the field miss...twice.
The reality of the situation is that the players we send to the World Cup aren't even close to the best athletes on this side of the pond. Our best athletes play football or basketball, because that's where the money is.
I realize that soccer players in the upper echelon of the sport make incredible salaries...but the rest of the world better pray the next Reggie Bush or Vince Young doesn't take notice, else we might just take over your "footie" as well.

Old 21-06-2006, 04:22 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #104
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

I didn't say it was the ultimate sport in terms of skill or strategy. I think on skill terms it beats American football, but I think cricket takes even more skill. The reason I say this? Simple. Running down a field and having a target the width of an American Football field has got to be easier than running down a field with a target the size of a goal. That's just logic. You can argue from passion and your love of the sport all you want; the logic is there. Try potting a ball on a pool table, then try potting a ball on a snooker table, and tell me which was harder. The smaller pocketed snooker table would win. It's just logic. If you're shooting at something, would you rather a big target, or a small one?

I think on strategy terms cricket again beats both football AND American football. But American football requires a LOT more strategically and tactically than football. I didn't deny that, did I? I was simply pointing out that football isn't boring just because it's low-scoring. If we assigned 7 points to a goal it still wouldn't change the sport, would it?

Didn't say there wasn't any skill in American football. I'm a bloody fan!

I was pointing out that the appreciation for the build-up and tactical side of the game is more appreciated in tighter games. Tighter games of gridiron are actually great to watch, but the high scoring games largely consist of "He catches the ball. He runs. He beats lots of players. He scores!" Hardly any different watching that to listening to it. Tighter games are very tactical and THAT makes them interesting to watch. You pointed out the Rose Bowl but it was dominated by Vince Young. Who the fuck wants to see a game that's dominated by one individual? It's like the sports entertainment equivalent of sucking his cock. I want to see a TEAM sport, where LOTS of individuals shine.

As for the best athletes in your country, noone said they were. They're more skilled than your American Footballers, although probably not your Basketball players. I wish you WOULD have your best athletes play football. You say "take over" like you dominate every sport you take part in, but as I pointed out, both Mexico and Canada beat you at Baseball, one of your own sports. I WANT the best of the US to play "soccer" because then if you win, it's good for the sport, and if you don't, we get to gloat

Back on topic (if you want to continue this I started this)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imaginary.jpg (57.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 21-06-2006, 04:47 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #105
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Running down a field and having a target the width of an American Football field has got to be easier than running down a field with a target the size of a goal. That's just logic.
So ice hockey or lacrosse trump soccer for skill?
The difference is, in football, when you are running down the field toward the goal, there are eleven guys, specifically charged, with stopping you. And, save for grabbing your facemask, they are allowed to use any means necessary to stop you.
Having played offensive line, I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder, but Vince Young doesn't dominate that game without the hogs up front keeping him clean. There is a huge difference between college and pro ball as well. I was using those two as an example of the athletic skill that football players possess. Also, I can tell you for a fact, that the big 'uns up front are very gifted athletes. When you get to the pro game, quick feet are as much of a requirement as raw strength.
People in the U.S. point to the strategy involved in baseball as the ultimate, but they are flat out wrong. American football involves enough strategy to make Patton or Rommel's head spin. I could go over the elements of a play, but I'm not sure the site has enough bandwidth.
In all fairness, I am generalizing like a mo-fo when I talk about "soccer-fan", but they (especially here) take a really dim view of all other sports and act like condescending pricks about the game.

Old 21-06-2006, 09:52 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #106
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

BRAAAD. I started another thread to discuss this You are generalising, I'm not a condescending prick when it comes to American Football, I love it, but only when the game is tight and it really gets tense and entertaining. There's more heartache in those games, and that makes the joy even better.

I know there's a difference between the pro game and college, and I prefer the pro game, but I actually think the inidividual skill diminishes when you get to the pro game. You say quick feet matter more than strength, and this is right, but tactics matter the most in the pro game. A well grilled team tactically can beat a more athletically talented team, this is why the Patriots, whilst having some great athletes, beat teams that were superior to them because of Belichick's amazing tactical brain.

Ice Hockey shits over a lot of average "soccer" for skill. I love Ice Hockey. The thing is, when you see stuff like this or this or this you know that every so often you'll see something on a "soccer" pitch that no human being should be able to do. I'm not saying "soccer" is the best sport on the planet, each to their own and all that, I'm just sick of Americans slagging it off as "boring" when it's not. It's just not your cup of tea. Or coffee, since you lot seem to have something against tea

Oh, and I hear what you're saying about American Football, but in "soccer" there are usually at least 7 players whose objective it is to stop you scoring in a narrow goal, and whilst they can't do anything to stop you, you're also limited in what you can do. Running whilst trying to control a ball at your feet is harder than running with the ball in your hands, I'm sure we can agree on that. Much like Ice Hockey is tricky as you're trying to remain balanced on your skates whilst using a stick to move another object.

Anyway, let's PLEASE shift this into the OTHER THREAD .

BACK to the topic at hand, who needs a pet dog when you can have one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nigerians5zt.jpg (67.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 21-06-2006, 11:24 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #107
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

For our Aussie members (or basically anyone who knows about the hot bird in Australian Big Brother who basically shits on any Big Brother contestant EVAR. Fuck that, in fact, any reality show contestant.) MY GOD SHE'S FIT. What do you people put in the water down there?! Whatever it is, can we have some?

Old 21-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #108
Sundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
MY GOD SHE'S FIT. What do you people put in the water down there?! Whatever it is, can we have some?
I don't think it's anything in the water. It's the shrimp on the barby.

In view of that fine wench, I refer once more to my sig.
Old 21-06-2006, 11:32 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #109
Digital_Ice

hreh, your sig is my msn screenname....

*digital_ice's useless post of the day*
Old 21-06-2006, 11:38 PM   Senior Registered Member #110
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Yeah.
Old 21-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #111
Sundance

That picture just now killed the tingly feeling I got from that Aussie chick.
Old 21-06-2006, 11:51 PM   Senior Registered Member #112
Swordsman
Voted Best!

It's what i do best.
Old 22-06-2006, 07:35 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #113
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

No...bumming little boys is what you do best.

For Sundance:

Old 22-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #114
mehrdad368
Ranman Raping Horse Boy

Lets back to the topic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 491_13.jpg (43.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 22-06-2006, 12:32 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #115
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Old 23-06-2006, 01:17 AM   Senior Registered Member #116
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Quote:
No...bumming little boys is what you do best.

No Hazzle...

I prefer goats.
Old 23-06-2006, 01:46 AM   #117
Sundance

Quote:
Old 23-06-2006, 01:16 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #118
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Old 23-06-2006, 01:48 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #119
Liam
Bogan Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad
Fucking hell, I havent seen anything that funny in a LONG time.
Old 23-06-2006, 01:53 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #120
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

You've not seen it before? Heh, it's been doing the rounds. As I said to Brad, it was on that other site where I got the idea for this thread from. It's fucking priceless.

EDIT:

Last edited by Hazzle; 23-06-2006 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added picture