Favourite music? - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-2006, 09:59 PM   Senior Registered Member #41
Swordsman
Voted Best!
 
Swordsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DIY LV
Posts: 514
Oh fuck all this, let's dance.
__________________
Fuck the punk scene, up the punk community.
Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 02:02 AM   Senior Registered Member #42
DefyingGravity
Senior Member
 
DefyingGravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Lol. I haven't watched MTV since I was a 12 year old girl. Or something.
I lol'd

Anyhow, I'm in this thread again because I felt that I had to comment that I deserve a slap to the face for not putting Blondie, Oasis (arrogant pricks, but I love them), or Cream on my list.
__________________
27th Member of Keira Knightley's Posse
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 02:04 AM   #43
Katielondon
Jezebel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Coldplay are fucking brilliant. Whiny, yes, but musically and lyrically superb.

I must be alone as someone who doesn't just like music because it's "good to listen to". I actually don't care if it hurts my ears, so long as it shows creativity. That's what art is all about.

If I liked stuff that was easy to listen to I'd be listening to chart drivel; RnB, dance and plastic pop. Actually scratch that. That stuff DOES hurt my ears.

If I may add...I hope you're not one of those people who liked Coldplay, and then when the trend shifted so that hating Coldplay was "cool" you shifted with it. I actually hate the Coldplay saga...first they were the "cool" band for everyone to like, even people who actually hadn't heard much of their music, people who jumped on the bandwagon, and then all of a sudden, it's "cool" to hate them now.






I hate the anti-Coldplay bandwagon, and actually I hate how it's ever "cool" to hate a band simply because they're talented.



no ive hated Coldplay from day 1 i dont think its 'cool' to love or hate a band,i like you think people who do that are lame i like what i like and i hate what i hate, i listen to all sorts of different things and of course i have my ,favourites, also as a musician myself i dont really think Coldplay are anything special technicly and i find them bland,dull and very depressing and havent heard even 1 song ive remotly liked and i dont get why people think thier so great, imnot a fan of hip hop and r&b either but i find it easier on the ear than chris martins suicide inducing drivel,and just to clarify no im not jelous of thier sucess i think its good when people achive thier dreams but i wish they would make some decent music or dissapear into obscurity and not make another song.
Katielondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 02:09 AM   Senior Registered Member #44
DefyingGravity
Senior Member
 
DefyingGravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielondon
no ive hated Coldplay from day 1 i dont think its 'cool' to love or hate a band,i like you think people who do that are lame i like what i like and i hate what i hate, i listen to all sorts of different things and of course i have my ,favourites, also as a musician myself i dont really think Coldplay are anything special technicly and i find them bland,dull and very depressing and havent heard even 1 song ive remotly liked and i dont get why people think thier so great, imnot a fan of hip hop and r&b either but i find it easier on the ear than chris martins suicide inducing drivel.
"No, I've hated Coldplay from day one. I don't think it's 'cool' to love or hate a band. I like you (?) think people who do that are lame. I like what I like, and I hate what I hate. I listen to all sorts of different things, and of course I have my favourites. Also, as a musician myself, I don't really think Coldplay are anything special, technically, and I find them bland, dull, and very depressing, and haven't heard even one song I've remotely liked. I don't get why people think they're so great. I'm not a fan of hip hop and R&B either, but I find it easier on the ear than Chris Martin's suicide-inducing drivel."

So basically, you're saying that you hated Coldplay before it was cool to hate Coldplay. It's kind of like those emo kids who claim that they wore glasses before the emo trend. "I was uncool before it was cool to be uncool."

Righto, I think I'll head off to bed now.
__________________
27th Member of Keira Knightley's Posse
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #45
Katielondon
Jezebel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity
"No, I've hated Coldplay from day one. I don't think it's 'cool' to love or hate a band. I like you (?) think people who do that are lame. I like what I like, and I hate what I hate. I listen to all sorts of different things, and of course I have my favourites. Also, as a musician myself, I don't really think Coldplay are anything special, technically, and I find them bland, dull, and very depressing, and haven't heard even one song I've remotely liked. I don't get why people think they're so great. I'm not a fan of hip hop and R&B either, but I find it easier on the ear than Chris Martin's suicide-inducing drivel."

So basically, you're saying that you hated Coldplay before it was cool to hate Coldplay. It's kind of like those emo kids who claim that they wore glasses before the emo trend. "I was uncool before it was cool to be uncool."

Righto, I think I'll head off to bed now.

thier music just gets on my nerves so much, im sure you have bands that you hate?,i dont think its about been cool or uncool i just really dislike thier music.
Katielondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 02:14 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #46
Mandy
Honourary Brit
 
Mandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dorothyville, USA
Posts: 3,400
What the hell has happened to KKW? Why has it turned into World War 3?
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 02:37 AM   Senior Registered Member #47
Swordsman
Voted Best!
 
Swordsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DIY LV
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
What the hell has happened to KKW? Why has it turned into World War 3?
That's why i said "Oh fuck all this, let's dance.".
__________________
Fuck the punk scene, up the punk community.
Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 03:57 AM   Senior Registered Member #48
Jacoby
'The Flapper'
 
Jacoby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman
...FIIIINE. Truce.
Swordsman...KKW Lesson One: Never back down when arguing with Hazzle. Especially when he puts up a lame argument. He's a tit, and he's wrong.

Dear Haz,
I love how you make these bands of yours sound so interesting and brilliant compared to my 'pretentious' taste. Every song I've heard from those bands playing on the radio have lame, cliche lyrics. "Jared, we need another song... make sure you mention cocking a gun so we're edgy and sell our sound even more to the bitchy-emo crowd! And oh SHIT! Your mascara's running!" Lame.

I can't really remember who I mentioned, but I know Wilco and New Pornographers were a couple of names I dropped. Those two bands have done and will do so much more for music than bands you mentioned. These bands have been around for years, unfortunately not receiving the praise they deserve, though having a DEDICATED fan-base. Not a phase fan-base. They take the roots of music, and branch off of it. These are bands that can be well respected by popular musicians who have caught a break. Kurt Cobain has went on account saying that he doesn't understand why everyone goes crazy over Nirvana when there's so much more better music out there. TRULY interesting music is not marketable, so it doesn't make it into the mainstream. The closest we came was in the early nineties. Weezer and Nirvana. Weezer inspired by Pavement, who is hardly known but so much more accomplished as a music group. Ask Rivers, he'll tell you.

The only musician I mentioned that could be considered pretentious is Sufjan, because he's so well received and his songs are obscure. But even then I disagree, he's just a writer, and he has a knack for being descriptive, and some people can consider that overbearing. But those people are lame.


And for the record. Coldplay is pretty shitty. Their albums got progressivly shittier. I like a total of five Coldplay songs.

I dunno, I don't really want to argue about this because it's an empty gesture. The biggest thing that upset me was your comment on creativity and originality. It's mostly wrong.
Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 04:00 AM   Senior Registered Member #49
Jacoby
'The Flapper'
 
Jacoby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,647
Oh and Fall Out Boy has a song called "Champagne for my Real Friends, Real Pain for my Shame Friends"

Which is really clever. When Tom Waits said it. Four years ago.
Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 07:15 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #50
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
Oh and Fall Out Boy has a song called "Champagne for my Real Friends, Real Pain for my Shame Friends"

Which is really clever. When Tom Waits said it. Four years ago.
Think you mean "sham" friends. And they've admitted that that was what inspired the song title. Heaven forbid anyone be impressed by a Tom Waits quote...shocking.


Quote:
I love how you make these bands of yours sound so interesting and brilliant compared to my 'pretentious' taste. Every song I've heard from those bands playing on the radio have lame, cliche lyrics. "Jared, we need another song... make sure you mention cocking a gun so we're edgy and sell our sound even more to the bitchy-emo crowd! And oh SHIT! Your mascara's running!" Lame.
Prejudiced much? You've clearly come into their music with a pre-judged viewpoint, making it impossible to be objective. I've heard a lot of very clever lyrics by all those bands, but of course, that's because I don't judge it based on whether it's "emo", but on its own merits. I actually hated Fall Out Boy before I actually took the time to study the lyrics and music more closely. If perhaps you came into their music with an open mind you'd have a different view but alas.

Quote:
I can't really remember who I mentioned, but I know Wilco and New Pornographers were a couple of names I dropped. Those two bands have done and will do so much more for music than bands you mentioned. These bands have been around for years, unfortunately not receiving the praise they deserve, though having a DEDICATED fan-base. Not a phase fan-base. They take the roots of music, and branch off of it. These are bands that can be well respected by popular musicians who have caught a break.
Wilco are shite over-rated pap. They get a lot of praise they don't deserve. They don't transform music. Neither do my bands, but then, they don't pretend to be musical saviours like yours do.

The only people who like them are people who think it's "cool" to like them because they're so edgy and underground. People who would refuse to ever like anything "mainstream" like you because that would ruin their cred.

It's ironic you should mention "phases" because Wilco are a band who were heavily hyped a while back and then the hype disappeared. Let me guess, you jumped on the bandwagon then? Your reasons for liking them are far more "phase" than mine for liking my bands

Quote:
Kurt Cobain has went on account saying that he doesn't understand why everyone goes crazy over Nirvana when there's so much more better music out there. TRULY interesting music is not marketable, so it doesn't make it into the mainstream. The closest we came was in the early nineties. Weezer and Nirvana. Weezer inspired by Pavement, who is hardly known but so much more accomplished as a music group. Ask Rivers, he'll tell you.
Kurt was a notoriously humble man. Rivers is the same. Pavement (who you did mention, I believe) were a top band, I'll give them credit, but Nirvana were, and always will be, one of the most groundbreaking bands to ever hit music. Pavement aren't as "hardly known" as you think btw.

Quote:
And for the record. Coldplay is pretty shitty. Their albums got progressivly shittier. I like a total of five Coldplay songs.
I like a total of 0 Wilco songs. So?

Quote:
I dunno, I don't really want to argue about this because it's an empty gesture. The biggest thing that upset me was your comment on creativity and originality. It's mostly wrong.
Not at all. I could sit here and reel off a long list of original lyrics by just one of those bands, ironically the one you chose to take a pot shot at (Fall Out Boy). But this post is long enough as it is. Maybe you should try being less "upset" about a thread about musical tastes and just realise that everyone can't share the same musical taste. There are a LOT of people who'll disagree with you about Coldplay, for example, on this forum. Are you going to be upset at all of them for saying they think Coldplay are great?
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 07:28 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #51
Liam
Bogan Elite
 
Liam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,446
I approach all music except bullshit pop and R&B with an open mind, but I still cant make myself like emo music. Although it seems to serve its purpose. Listening to it makes me want to cut myself :P

I used to hate black metal-ish stuff with a passion. I still do for the most part; stuff like Satyricon and Akercocke is still mindless screamy bullshit, but Amon Amarth have opened my eyes. Yet to find a band that will do the same for the 'emo' genre.

(Oh, and by the way...I watched Eurovision. What a crock of shite, I couldnt even laugh it was so bad. Lordi? GWAR called, they want their costumes back. Pull your heads in.)
__________________
The greatest delight is to mark one's enemy, prepare everything, avenge oneself thoroughly, and then go to sleep.
-Stalin
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 07:34 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #52
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
I approach all music except bullshit pop and R&B with an open mind, but I still cant make myself like emo music. Although it seems to serve its purpose. Listening to it makes me want to cut myself :P
Fair enough. That's really all I ask. So long as people don't go into it thinking "It's emo, it's about little kids in makeup cutting themselves" then that's cool.

Quote:
I used to hate black metal-ish stuff with a passion. I still do for the most part; stuff like Satyricon and Akercocke is still mindless screamy bullshit, but Amon Amarth have opened my eyes. Yet to find a band that will do the same for the 'emo' genre.
Some would define Killswitch Engage as Emo. I reckon you'd like them.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #53
mehrdad368
Ranman Raping Horse Boy
 
mehrdad368's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: IRAN
Posts: 500
RAP:shaggy,sean paul
ROCK:avril & most of rock&roll songs
pop:shakira,chris de burg,the eagles(hotel california)
METAL:I hate it.
all of CLASSICAL ones.
__________________
Objects in mirorr are closer than they appear.
mehrdad368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 10:34 AM   Senior Registered Member #54
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
Avril rock? Uhm... And just to add my 2cents into the Fall Out Boy spam-off, I've got the Sugar We're Going Down song. Why? It's lyrically THE BOMB. Observe.

"Is this more than you bargained for yet
Oh don't mind me I'm watching you two from the closet
Wishing to be the friction in your jeans
Isn't it messed up how I'm just dying to be him"

Fucking oath you're messed up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 12:54 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #55
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviljet88
Avril rock? Uhm... And just to add my 2cents into the Fall Out Boy spam-off, I've got the Sugar We're Going Down song. Why? It's lyrically THE BOMB. Observe.

"Is this more than you bargained for yet
Oh don't mind me I'm watching you two from the closet
Wishing to be the friction in your jeans
Isn't it messed up how I'm just dying to be him"

Fucking oath you're messed up.
Yeah, I LOVE those lyrics. Wishing to be the friction in your jeans? Genius way to put it.

And then Dance Dance features the following verse:

"Why don't you show me the little bit of spine
You've been saving for his mattress
I only want sympathy in the form of you crawling into bed with me"

Maybe doesn't have a lot of "big words" like the bands Jake likes but it's nonetheless a nice way to put it.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 05:19 PM   Senior Registered Member #56
Jacoby
'The Flapper'
 
Jacoby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle

Maybe doesn't have a lot of "big words" like the bands Jake likes but it's nonetheless a nice way to put it.
You make all these arguments about how I have a pre-determined opinion, and then you blow a hypocritical load all over yourself. I'm more of a music man myself, and lyrics come after the instruments. Emo does not suffice. Maybe the lyrics can be interesting, which I have yet to see, but the music is just frustrating.

Let me address a few things, though: I was not upset with other people's opinions, because I don't care what you like, but you were arguing with Swordsman against my belief, and I was upset with your statement because it was a contradiction, it's not like we couldn't prove that music we like only uses 'big' words. It was a bad choice of words using 'upset' because it made it seem like I care, and I really don't. This is seriously just for the sake of argument.

I don't care who likes Coldplay. There are a bunch of people who like Coldplay here, and it doesn't bother me. Because they know when to stop talking about it.

I think we're done here. You're just going to highlight a few sections of my post and then say the same things you said two posts ago, then I'd do the same, and it's just useless.
Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 06:19 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #57
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
Let me address a few things, though: I was not upset with other people's opinions, because I don't care what you like, but you were arguing with Swordsman against my belief, and I was upset with your statement because it was a contradiction, it's not like we couldn't prove that music we like only uses 'big' words. It was a bad choice of words using 'upset' because it made it seem like I care, and I really don't. This is seriously just for the sake of argument.
My statement wasn't a contradiction, you yourself just pointed out the issue. I was coming into this discussion from a lyrical standpoint, you from a musical one. It's ok to disagree. Hell even if someone else came into the argument from a lyrical standpoint they may actually think I'm wrong. Power to them. This is a "General Discussion" forum, so discussion, I should think, is welcome.

I wasn't arguing with Swordsman. In case you hadn't noticed, he questioned my musical taste, not the other way around. This sparked a discussion between myself and him. If he was able to see that it was a discussion (as opposed to an argument), and if we were both able to be adult enough to agree to disagree, I'm not sure why you felt the need to defend him.

But fair enough, you did, you expressed your view, I expressed mine. My little aside to Jet about "big words" was simply a little sarcastic joke. Seriously, I don't care what you like, I think it's overrated, much like you think what I like is crap. Everyone's entitled to their own musical taste. I think you're taking this a lot more personally than is necessary.

Quote:
I don't care who likes Coldplay. There are a bunch of people who like Coldplay here, and it doesn't bother me. Because they know when to stop talking about it.
Erm...please re-read the thread. I'm somewhat annoyed at people thinking I've started an argument when I haven't. Swordsman attacked my musical taste, and has since actually said sorry for being opinionated. If you must know in my PM back to him I told him I like opinonated people, and forums thrive on them, so I hoped he'd continue being opinionated on here. All I did was continue the discussion, and finally we both agreed to disagree.

How do you expect me not to respond to a post that you began with "Dear Haz"? I was happy to stop talking about it the second you were...and now I see that that point is come, why don't we just draw a line under this and agree to disagree?

Quote:
I think we're done here. You're just going to highlight a few sections of my post and then say the same things you said two posts ago, then I'd do the same, and it's just useless.
Agreed. I did accept a while ago that other people are entitled to their tastes, and notably, I didn't actually attack anyone else's taste. All I did was defend my own when someone questioned it.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 12:43 AM   Senior Registered Member #58
Swordsman
Voted Best!
 
Swordsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DIY LV
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Yeah, I LOVE those lyrics. Wishing to be the friction in your jeans? Genius way to put it.
I'm sorry to start this up again but i just need to know. You are a 14-year-old girl right? I mean... for serious? Genius? I hope by Genius you mean Gza. Gza from the Wu Tang Clan that is. So by Genius i hope you're skipping genres of music. To a genre that's just a good time. Especially Wu Tang, yah see Wu Tang is just a good time. People often say it's shit but... i mean it's just nine angry guys yellin' shit and it's just somethin' in which to get in a circle and listen to... and maybe drink, and get a bit high off of your friends weed.

It doesn't get better than this video. It's got ninjas, girls in bear skin bikinis, and...a guy by the name of Bobby Boulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zy_-1KzFGM

I'm not gonna front... I know this has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
__________________
Fuck the punk scene, up the punk community.
Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 04:00 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #59
Mandy
Honourary Brit
 
Mandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dorothyville, USA
Posts: 3,400
I'm getting into a lot of not widely known singers and songwriters.

Everyone download "Just Hold Me" by Maria Mena...maybe some of you have heard of her. She's just fantastic.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 07:05 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #60
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt
 
Hazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman
I'm sorry to start this up again but i just need to know. Genius?
Yeah. I'm not skipping genres, I'm not saying there aren't more obvious ways to put it, I was referring to how it's close to the knuckle without going beyond it. I think that "Gravel Pit" definitely goes beyond it, hence how controversial it, and Wu Tang, are. That's not to say I don't like them, cos I love that tune, just think it takes a little more skill to be crude without actually being crude.

I also like it when bands use science to refer to sex. It's a little cleverer than a more obvious metaphor (like Gravel Pit ). I mean let's face it, "back and forth" kinda sells it far too easily.

Oh screw it, I like it. End of story. Not saying anyone else has to.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.