Dornan Still Talking About Keira.... - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira Knightley Discussion

Keira Knightley Discussion General banter on the object of our affection.

Old 14-05-2006, 11:26 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #21
Leonie
Elle

Watch the interview on the DVD of Bend It Like Beckham. Done? Now watch any interview from the Domino premiere, or from the Oscars, or anywhere. It seems so rehearsed, so unspontaneous, so conform the Hollywood protocol. Watch her Regis & Kelly (is that it) interview promoting the first PotC. Done? Now watch her promoting King Arthur in America a year later, or the Jacket, or Domino. I think she's changed hugely.

That said, I don't really care enough to try to change minds of people who will probably disagree with me no matter what. I've been a Keira fan for 3 years and a bit now. She's gone from being very, very down to earth, so *real* to... losing a lot of those qualities I liked most about here. Sure, she's also matured, but she herself said that she reached the peak of her maturity at age 15 and has been getting younger ever since. I can't tell.

That's all I have to say. I don't really care if anyone agrees or not, I don't feel like arguing with a mob of Keira fans who compete in a thread to prove how much they love her These are my feelings concerning Keira's changing throughout the years, as Hollywood found out about KKW's little secret. Whether you agree or not... don't really care.

Last edited by Leonie; 14-05-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Leonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 12:06 PM   Senior Registered Member #22
kingdumbass

I follow you, except the thing about "KKW's Little Secret"....
What does that mean?
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 12:09 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #23
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdumbass
I follow you, except the thing about "KKW's Little Secret"....
What does that mean?
Long before Hollywood discovered Keira, long before the masses did, it felt like we at KKW were the only people who knew about her, like she was our little brilliant secret

She was very, very cool, and we seemed the only people who realised it. I'm not saying she's not cool anymore, but to me, she has lost a lot of her appeal in slowly conforming to Hollywood's standard interview layout in the last few years.
Old 14-05-2006, 12:25 PM   Senior Registered Member #24
kingdumbass

I see what you're talking about....
But I still like her. Perhaps she will assert herself at some point, and fire the sylists, publicists, etc.

As far as interviews are concerned -- I can't quite blame her for closing up with those. We all know simply from observing Keira that anything even remotely remarkable that she might say in an interview will be taken and twisted into a million different things by gossip rags, etc. If I were in her position, I would probably decide that it's better to just stick to the script, also.

Remember her appearance on The Daily Show not too long ago? It was the closest thing to a recent Keira interview that almost took on a spontaneous feel, and it did not go well at all. Seemed like Keira had gotten so used to answering the same questions over and over again that she was totally taken by surprise when Jon Stewart went off in another direction. Very uncomfortable. I doubt we'll be seeing her on that show again....
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #25
Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie
Watch the interview on the DVD of Bend It Like Beckham. Done? Now watch any interview from the Domino premiere, or from the Oscars, or anywhere. It seems so rehearsed, so unspontaneous, so conform the Hollywood protocol. Watch her Regis & Kelly (is that it) interview promoting the first PotC. Done? Now watch her promoting King Arthur in America a year later, or the Jacket, or Domino. I think she's changed hugely.
I think you're comparing apples and oranges a bit here. A behind-the-scenes interview for a small British indie movie is a vastly different thing from a red carpet interview at the Oscars.

The two Regis and Kelly interviews she's done - for Pirates in 2003 and for P&P in 2005 don't strike me as very different. Although of course she's no longer an 18 year old girl doing promotional work for the very first time.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 01:00 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #26
Leonie
Elle

Then, following your logic, I can't compare any older Keira stuff to any newer Keira stuff. After all, the girl's gone from being an Indie-movie girl to a film star. Apples and oranges. My point exactly.
Old 14-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #27
Idle

Quote:
Then, following your logic, I can't compare any older Keira stuff to any newer Keira stuff. After all, the girl's gone from being an Indie-movie girl to a film star. Apples and oranges. My point exactly.
Not so. You could compare behind-the-scenes stuff from from different movies. That would make more sense than comparing a bts interview to a red carpet "who made your dress" thing.
I'd agree that the bts stuff she did for P&P was more serious, polished and professional than what she did for Beckham. But not miles apart from the bts interview for Zhivago, for example.

And apart from finishing the third Pirates movie, she's got three indies lined up. None of them to be shot in Hollywood.
Old 14-05-2006, 01:28 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #28
Leonie
Elle

Not the point. No matter how many indies she does now, she's no longer an indie girl. I haven't seen Keira get offended by the milk in her tea for years now. Or tell people that "Beckham is a God."

Even behind the scenes stuff has changed. Much more polished, much less sincere. You disagree. More power to ya.
Old 14-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #29
BrunoJA

Leonie, if you've been a fan for only about three years, then she was already something of a film star...

Anyway, I don't think starting to conform to "Hollywood's standard interview layout" is a huge change lol

Isn't it really that she's not a secret anymore?
BrunoJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 01:49 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #30
Leonie
Elle

Only about three years? I think that was well before stardom. She'd only just signed up to Pirates, and Bend It Like Beckham wasn't the sleeper hit it became in the US yet.

But sure, yeah, that's it. Let me guess, you study psychology
Old 14-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #31
BrunoJA

"Well before stardom"? Wasn't Pirates released summer 2003?

And no, I don't study psychology lol
Old 14-05-2006, 02:09 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #32
Leonie
Elle

... I think I'm going to do something useful with my time.

You're all right. I'm horribly bitter and very wrong. None of my arguments made any sense, and I'm being unfair to perfect Keira, who I haven't been a fan of for long at all, so I have no idea what I'm on about.

Right, shower time.
Old 14-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #33
BrunoJA

Damn...no one said she's perfect or that you're being unfair. I just don't really understand where you're coming from.

Have a good shower.
Old 14-05-2006, 02:26 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #34
Leonie
Elle

And I anticipated that. At the very start of this "discussion." Like I said, I know I can't convince any of you, and I don't even care enough to want to.

No matter which "proof" I come up with, you won't see what I see, because you won't want to see what I see.
Old 14-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #35
BrunoJA

Now that's unfair...
Old 14-05-2006, 02:33 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #36
Leonie
Elle

Because?

All I'm saying is that I'm obviously seeing something quite differently from you. It's a well-established psychological fact that everyone sees what suits their mindset. It is impossible to measure spontaneity objectively. Hence, discussing this seems pointless.

What's so unfair?
Old 14-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #37
BrunoJA

You're saying I can't see things how they really are. That's unfair. I'm fully capable of seeing things from other points of view. What makes your POV so unmotivated, anyway?

And don't bring psychology into this.
Old 14-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #38
Idle

Quote:
Not the point. No matter how many indies she does now, she's no longer an indie girl.
She's never going to be an unknown again. Is that a problem?

Quote:
I haven't seen Keira get offended by the milk in her tea for years now. Or tell people that "Beckham is a God."
No. Now she's telling Regis that he sounds like Dick van Dyke and playing "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" on her teeth.

Quote:
You're all right. I'm horribly bitter and very wrong. None of my arguments made any sense, and I'm being unfair to perfect Keira...
I just really, honestly don't understand what it is you're seeing. Noone is claiming she's perfect. But she wasn't perfect when she was a 16-year old unknown either.

She seems somewhat more mature and professional now than four years ago, of course, but the overall impression I get is pretty much the same as it always has been
Old 14-05-2006, 02:47 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #39
Leonie
Elle

I AM saying that, yes. If you'll allow me, from a psychological view, there is NO such thing as objectivity. You can see other views, sure, but you can't SEE them as you view your own.

This discussion of Keira's spontaneity is therefore quite handicapped. Not only you, but I too, cannot look at videos etc. from an objective point of view. For me, what's put me off Keira is the constant pouting extraordinaire. She's always done it a bit, and it never bothered me, but by now, it's starting to look stupid. Keira, hon, if you're not constipated, stop trying to look that way. You have beautiful lips just the way they are. If it's indeed "something you do when you're nervous," you must be near a nervous breakdown. I can see why Jamie sings that people in Hollywood seem to have a massive influence on Keira.

Yes, she's still being all adorable. It seems she's studied hard to cultivate it. To cultivate the pout, the giggle, the British accent, the coyness. I'm not buying it.

Why is my point of view so unmotivated? Because I realise that trying to discuss this on a Keira Knightley fan forum means I'm outnumbered. Moreover, I'm not a Jehova's witness - I don't give a damn if you believe me, or not at all. I haven't made it my personal crusade to make you all see my point and be put off Keira as well. I said something, you asked for an explanation, I explained my point of view, and I've been told it's wrong based on the same evidence I used to back it up. The evidence hasn't changed, the point of view in looking at it has, and is the only difference between the two viewings.

Why am I unmotivated? I'm long over Keira. I tried to say something, the fan brigade clearly disagrees. Now all hold hands and smile, because I don't give a flying fuck
Old 14-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #40
BrunoJA

You DO seem rather bitter, actually. That seems like a motivation right there lol

You say you can't be objective, yet you also say your view is unmotivated...and I don't see how being outnumbered makes your view more valid.

And you know, just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean that person's part of the "fan brigade."