Fifa10 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 AM   Senior Registered Member #1
michael22
eternally screwed

Fifa10

I decided that we might as well start a thread for it. It would save me a huge rant in the shoutbox. What are your predictions, hopes etc.
So far I am supporting Uruguay, Greece (my old boss made me a fan of Greek football somehow) and the're underdog status, Kiwi team mainly for them being the best hope for italy getting its teeth kicked in and Switzerland- see previous only change italy for Spain.
Though as for results I have no clue who it is going to be. (other than England are sure to fuck up somewhere along the way fucking Rooney).
Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #2
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

And here I was thinking this was a thread about the game...

If football were won on paper, Argentina would win it. With players like Messi, Aguero, Higuain and Tevez up front, Mascherano and Cambiasso in midfield and the likes of Demichelis, Heinze and Milito at the back, they have all the tools. They unfortunately also possess a manager singularly incapable of using them. But with Messi, anything is possible.

Italy and Germany are always dangerous in tournaments, France arguably have the two best wide players in the world right now (Ribery and Malouda) and then there's Holland, who despite their terrible record in major tournaments, still pose a threat, with players like Robben, Van Persie, Sneijder and Van Der Vaart. I doubt they'll win the tournament, but they could derail the hopes of the favourites on the way.

Portugal's fate will largely depend on Cristiano Ronaldo, much as England's will on Rooney. Unlike Portugal, however, England do have several other weapons, Joe Cole, Lennon, Walcott, Gerrard and Lampard. And I suspect Fifa's ideal scenario would be for the Ivory Coast to win the first ever world cup staged in Africa. I doubt they will, though.

I still believe it's hard to look past Spain. Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Xabi Alonso, Villa, Torres...they'll dominate possession and have the firepower up front to score goals. Their defence is good enough with that midfield.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 04:50 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #3
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

USA... all the way! We might just get to the knock out round! How exciting is that? Once we're eliminated, I'll root for England.
Old 13-04-2010, 09:09 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #4
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

I actually think the US v England game will be our hardest in the group. A lot of people still don't realise just how good the US side is.
Old 16-04-2010, 03:45 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #5
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I have nothing to add to this conversation, except to lament that if it were not for the stupidly slow Visa system....I would be living in South Africa right now!

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 09:09 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #6
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

How come?
Old 16-04-2010, 07:34 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #7
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Are you talking to me?

If so....school. University of Cape Town. Got my acceptance letter, sent in my deposit, got housing all situated....then had to cancel everything because my visa didn't come in time. I'm bummed, but I guess there is always grad school.

Check out my blog:
Old 16-04-2010, 11:54 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #8
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
Are you talking to me?

If so....school. University of Cape Town. Got my acceptance letter, sent in my deposit, got housing all situated....then had to cancel everything because my visa didn't come in time. I'm bummed, but I guess there is always grad school.
That sucks ass.
Old 18-04-2010, 06:32 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #9
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

No kidding. But it worked out. Now I am going to Hillsdale, which is really selective and probably the best school I could have graduated from. It'll all work out. I just like South Africa better than Michigan lol.

Check out my blog:
Old 19-04-2010, 08:59 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #10
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Glad to hear that worked out. And yeah, I was talking to you before.
Old 25-04-2010, 02:43 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #11
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

And how could I forget Brazil?! The only side to win 5 world cups, the only side to win the World Cup outside their own continent, and in fact the only side to win World Cups on all four continents it's been held on so far (Asia, Europe, South America and North America). Could they add Africa to the list?

Dunga's got them playing well, which is unsurprising because as a player he was a key reason why the 1994 Brazil side won the tournament, despite the likes of Romario and Bebeto getting all the plaudits. He recognises, crucially, the role that defensive midfielders play to allow the others to work magic.

The problem for them could be that they are predominantly a side that wins games on the counter attack. Minnow nations won't attack Brazil. Countries like Spain, which keep the ball well, won't give it away enough to be worried about counter attacks, so Brazil may need to find ways to unlock teams.
Old 29-05-2010, 02:25 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #12
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I was a bit worried by the 4-2 scoreline against the Czechs until I saw that Dempsey, Donovan and others weren't playing. I think we'll get out of the group stage easily, but what happens after that is anyone's guess.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #13
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

You should get out of the group easily. I'm still telling every England fan that I know not to take the USA lightly. I can only imagine the hoopla if you guys win on the 60th anniversary of that infamous defeat at Belo Horizonte.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #14
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Game one in the books... South Africa: 1 - Mexico: 1
Mexico dominated the run of play, but my God are they susceptible to the counter attack. El Tri' also lacks a quality finisher. Most of their early possession was negated by horrible, inaccurate shots on goal.
All the Mexican fans are too busy blaming the referee for making the (utterly correct) offside call that "robbed" them of a goal. Strangely, they fail to acknowledge the fact that a Mexican defender pulled a South African player down by the shoulder in the penalty area. He managed a shot on goal, but it was weak and easily saved. Shoulder to shoulder challenge is fine, but the Mexican clearly reached out with his right hand and pulled the South African's left shoulder.
I'll definitely be rooting for Uruguay to beat France, since Les Bleus are Les Cheats.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #15
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Not so much rooting for France but I'd like them to prove plenty of people wrong. Everyone's written them off and I think they're all wrong to do so. I'm blogging and tweeting about the World Cup. The blog's here and if you want to punish yourself, my twitter information is all on there too. Figured this was the right place to promo it.
Old 14-06-2010, 04:33 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #16
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Even though I'm rooting for the United States, my heart goes out to Robert Green. That said, I'm thrilled that we got a draw out of that match and looked pretty solid doing it.

Of all the matches I've watched, which so far is all of them except France v. Uruguay and Japan v. Cameroon (after about 20 minutes... effing work!), I have been most impressed by Germany and South Korea. Germany carved Australia up like Jack the Ripper and South Korea seemed to be very crisp and creative.
Old 15-06-2010, 08:21 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #17
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

So Haz... have you started breathing again?
Old 16-06-2010, 04:25 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #18
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Heh. It was a little nervy but to be honest, the game was won and I suspect the defence just switched off (watch Lucio get caught flat-footed). Doubt the Koreans had a second in them.

I'm still laughing about Green. So far I have to say I like Argentina, Germany, Ghana and Brazil. People still think Brazil "struggled" against North Korea but let's wait until the other two teams in the group play them. The two goals are probably the two best goals of the tournament too (Maicon's was awesome).
Old 16-06-2010, 06:55 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #19
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Spain. O how we laughed.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 10:09 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #20
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Spain v Brazil in the next round maybe? Fifa will be livid; one of the two favourites could be out early.