Euro 2004 - Page 4 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 25-06-2004, 09:45 AM   Senior Registered Member #61
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
This makes me wish I had a sport to care about during the summer. Sure baseball is okay, but the Royals are shite this year after such promise coming in. I'm getting off topic. Condolences to you all... not I'm re-living the KU Georgia Tech game..... must stop thinking about sports.
In Victoria australia you have to follow the AFL, but my team (Essendon) is being caned in recent times *checks for replay of the England vs Portugal match*

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 01:38 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #62
Liam
Bogan Elite

Jesus.

Even the most blindly devoted England supporter would have to admit that the better team won on the night. There wasnt one single 5 minute period in the game where England looked in control. Gerrard was shit, Lampard did nothing (sort of redeemed himself with that goal), Beckham was revealed as really being not that special and overall the team played as if they had run a marathon just before the game. They were dead on their feet.

The Portuguese side actually played a bit of football. Incredible, that.

And as a goalkeeper, I like to goalkeepers become the hero for a change. Good on Ricardo. Saved a sudden death penalty without his gloves then put his shot away to bag the win. Excellent stuff.

/me braces for the inevitable torrent of 'woo, england!!11one' rhetoric.
Old 25-06-2004, 02:47 PM   #63
ralfusius
Nutter Boris

to all the english loving people: don't worry ! we (Holland) will kick portugal out of the tournament in the semi-final, we "only" need to win from Sweden and then we're in the semi-final!
I really enjoyed that germany had to leave the tournament earlier then we did, because i'm going on holiday to mallorca , and a lot of german people go to mallorca on holiday as well. I 'll be wearing orange and sing: "schade deutschland, alles ist vorbei ,alles ist vorbei ,alles ist vorbei. SCHADE DEUTSCHLAND ALLES IST VORBEI!!!"
joehoe!
Go Ruud or makaay or van hooijdonck or kluivert
Old 25-06-2004, 03:03 PM   First Class Member Officer #64
Sarah
Nice

Liam, Yes, I would agree that Portugal played better, but that doesn't give the bastard ref the right to disallow our perfect goal. We won that game, and thats that.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 03:30 PM   #65
Edward

my oh my oh my lol

we got cheated out AGAIN

stupid ref, he needs to go back to making cheese
Old 25-06-2004, 07:31 PM   First Class Member Officer #66
Sarah
Nice

Ah, so France Vs. Greece. I'm rooting for Greece. Come on!!!
Old 25-06-2004, 08:41 PM   First Class Member Officer #67
Sarah
Nice

>Yes, a double post, but within good reason<

Congratulations to Greece. It's about time someone new got a chance. Congratulations, indeed!
Old 25-06-2004, 09:27 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #68
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Jesus.

Even the most blindly devoted England supporter would have to admit that the better team won on the night.
Errr...depends what you consider the better side...I consider defending stoutly for so long and then getting a winning goal is playing well enough to win...we didn't play as well as we could, and they looked in control, but they were still 1-0 down all the while they were in control...they actually scored at a time when we were looking better

Quote:
There wasnt one single 5 minute period in the game where England looked in control.
No, there wasn't, there was the entire first 20 or so minutes until Rooney went off when we had ALL the chances...and then the last 5.

[quote[Gerrard was shit, Lampard did nothing (sort of redeemed himself with that goal), Beckham was revealed as really being not that special and overall the team played as if they had run a marathon just before the game. They were dead on their feet.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more...hmmm...hosts got an extra day to prepare...make a difference mayhaps?

Quote:
The Portuguese side actually played a bit of football. Incredible, that.
And for all that still weren't good enough to beat us fairly.

Quote:
And as a goalkeeper, I like to goalkeepers become the hero for a change. Good on Ricardo. Saved a sudden death penalty without his gloves then put his shot away to bag the win. Excellent stuff.
I call it being an arrogant little fucker, but oh well...

Quote:
/me braces for the inevitable torrent of 'woo, england!!11one' rhetoric.
Nahh...just the "You're an Aussie and don't know your football if that's what you think" rhetoric. The only side better than England in the tournament so far has been the Czechs...and the Dutch will not win it, since they can't beat the Czechs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfusius
to all the english loving people: don't worry ! we (Holland) will kick portugal out of the tournament in the semi-final, we "only" need to win from Sweden and then we're in the semi-final!
I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden managed to dump out Holland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
Liam, Yes, I would agree that Portugal played better, but that doesn't give the bastard ref the right to disallow our perfect goal. We won that game, and thats that.
Well said lass!

Oh, and on the matter of the Greeks...they beat the hosts, Portugal, they beat the holders, France...who's to say they can't win the tournament?

I actually think the Czechs will beat them, and then go on to beat whoever in the final...they're just sensational. I see Sweden or Holland being too good for Portugal who for all their sensational build up STILL weren't good enough to beat us.

Figo was poor, Deco was even worse, and Ronaldo was kept well under control...Maniche, Nuno Valente and Miguel were their only players who played well...and then Simao when he came off the bench...could be an Arsenal man next season so I hear...not sure if we'll be able to cheer him Rui Costa was poor, but scored a brilliant but very flukey goal to his credit...I'm not sure they actually played all that well, they just had more possession...and even with all that they weren't good enough to beat us fairly.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 10:53 PM   First Class Member Officer #69
Sarah
Nice

Now I REALLY want to cry. The ref has apologised to Sven... So he's basically confirmed that England won the match. We were so cheated. I wish that they could take Portugal out and give us our rightful place. They HAVE to get some kind of TV out at the side of the pitch to let Ref's have a quick look at things. This must NEVER happen again. It would happen to us though, wouldn't it.
Old 25-06-2004, 11:12 PM   Senior Registered Member #70
ryan

christ, is it really all that important?
it's a damned game. it's not like its the one and only time a soccer/football tournament will ever take place.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 11:12 PM   First Class Member Officer #71
Sarah
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan
christ, is it really all that important?
it's a damned game. it's not like its the one and only time a soccer/football tournament will ever take place.
You really have no idea, do you. Pph, you're American. What can we expect. Americans don't seem to realise just how important it is. How can you when you changed the name of it, anway. Go and play baseball.
Old 26-06-2004, 12:44 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #72
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

It was our time to win it Ryan...it was ours to win...it was our right to knock out France in the final...thankfully the Greeks ensured the French didn't even get that far...so long as Sweden or Holland ensure Portugal don't (and I think they will as Portugal aren't good enough) I'll be a happy man.

And yes Sarah, the ref admitting he was wrong proves we rightfully won that game...and who's to say we wouldn't have won the tournament, having knocked out the hosts with the holders already out?

Ryan, how would you feel about walking in on your best mate shagging your mum? I mean I could reply "It's only sex...it's perfectly natural" but that wouldn't change your reaction, would it?

It's a sense of injustice, of being cheated, of having something that was rightfully yours taken from you. You have no bloody idea you nitwit.

Basically, we know in our hearts that our lads were heroes...we defended like Trojans and we'd have, in my view, gone on to win it...we were the only side apart from France that looked capable of beating the Czechs (and don't anyone say Holland...Holland were lucky on the second goal which was blatently offside and to be fair even before the red card the Czechs looked like winning the game...they were the better side).

It's a horrible feeling Sarah, but all we can do is look forward to World cup 2006 and erasing 40 years of suffering
Old 26-06-2004, 12:46 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #73
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Quote:
You really have no idea, do you. Pph, you're American. What can we expect. Americans don't seem to realise just how important it is. How can you when you changed the name of it, anway. Go and play baseball.
Well, that's not very nice. Just because some people aren't as obsessed over dwelling on this game as you are does not give you the right to use the
very offensive "You're an American" excuse. You've been making unneccessary comments about Americans, and I am sick and tired of putting up with them (just ask the people here who had to calm me down after certain comments you made *months* ago.) Perhaps in the United States, we're not as passionate about football as the English are, but we respect your passion. And we're passionate about our own things, so respect that. And get over the changing of the name shit, you act like it was us personally.

Oh and about that baseball comment...You really have no idea, do you. Pph, you're English. What can we expect? The English don't seem to realise just how important of a national pastime baseball really is.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 12:52 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #74
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
Well, that's not very nice. Just because some people aren't as obsessed over dwelling on this game as you are does not give you the right to use the
very offensive "You're an American" excuse.
Course it does...who said football was about being "nice"? It certainly isn't about being fair after that game...I still don't get why the game can't be replayed...but no...that wouldn't do because the hosts might go out...could I dare to suggest that Portugal got the benefit of all doubt both against Spain and England? They should've been out against Spain had the ref made the right calls. As for the "You're an American" line...well Ryan gave a perfect example, and heck, even Liam gave another example of why outside of Spain, Italy and England noone can really get why football means so much to these three nations. Oh, and Sarah's perfectly entitled...oh, and she's perfectly right too, sorry

Quote:
Perhaps in the United States, we're not as passionate about football as the English are, but we respect your passion. And we're passionate about our own things, so respect that. And get over the changing of the name shit, you act like it was us personally.
a) No you don't respect the passion...YOU might...Ryan clearly didn't...what was his line again..."It's only a game"?

b) The changing the name bit was a joke methinks...I wouldn't take THAT too personally
Old 26-06-2004, 01:27 AM   #75
Vertical Vortex

Quote:
its not important at all... those teams cost lots of money... and the only thing they do is trying to get the ball.
If you like it, its fine by me... who am i to say that you may not like it. Butt there are a group of people who think soccer is there life... its just a game... christ! If your team wins... yeah thats fun, but if they lose its not the end of the world or something. Its just not important at all...
Old 26-06-2004, 01:41 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #76
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical Vortex
its not important at all... those teams cost lots of money... and the only thing they do is trying to get the ball.
If you like it, its fine by me... who am i to say that you may not like it. Butt there are a group of people who think soccer is there life... its just a game... christ! If your team wins... yeah thats fun, but if they lose its not the end of the world or something. Its just not important at all...
Dimwit...how wrong could you be? Football isn't life and death...it's more important than that...put it this way...the news story was more important than british hostages being released...and almost as important as loads of deaths in Iraq...I'm surprised it wasn't the TOP story...who cares about a few dead Iraqis when we were robbed?!

Now...in response to the girls...for whom there IS hope, unlike my Dutch "friend"...

…I’ve figured out where the animosity might be here.

For you American people out there, we know how patriotic you are, you have this really strong sense of national identity, and the Aussies have it too, but perhaps to a less “in your face” degree (sorry, didn’t mean to cause offence but that IS how you’re perceived in other nations on that score). You have patriotism present in your every day life, and respect to you for that. You have the 4th of July too which is a major day to mark your patriotism.

We have Saint George’s Day but noone ever seems to know when it is, and more celebrate St Paddy’s. You barely see a St George’s cross anywhere on the day, yet as soon as England get into a major sporting event, you’ll see the flag everywhere…it’s how we show our patriotism…we plunge it all into our sporting endeavour and being cheated out of success actually offends against the national pride, it’s like having a foreigner spit on your flag.

So…how about we just celebrate the differences, celebrate the way we both have our own ways as nations of showing patriotism, eh girls?

Either that or strip off and get into some mud…at least make it entertaining for the lads!
Old 26-06-2004, 01:47 AM   #77
Vertical Vortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Dimwit...how wrong could you be? Football isn't life and death...it's more important than that...put it this way...the news story was more important than british hostages being released...and almost as important as loads of deaths in Iraq...I'm surprised it wasn't the TOP story...who cares about a few dead Iraqis when we were robbed?!

Now...in response to the girls...for whom there IS hope, unlike my Dutch "friend"...

…I’ve figured out where the animosity might be here.

For you American people out there, we know how patriotic you are, you have this really strong sense of national identity, and the Aussies have it too, but perhaps to a less “in your face” degree (sorry, didn’t mean to cause offence but that IS how you’re perceived in other nations on that score). You have patriotism present in your every day life, and respect to you for that. You have the 4th of July too which is a major day to mark your patriotism.

We have Saint George’s Day but noone ever seems to know when it is, and more celebrate St Paddy’s. You barely see a St George’s cross anywhere on the day, yet as soon as England get into a major sporting event, you’ll see the flag everywhere…it’s how we show our patriotism…we plunge it all into our sporting endeavour and being cheated out of success actually offends against the national pride, it’s like having a foreigner spit on your flag.

So…how about we just celebrate the differences, celebrate the way we both have our own ways as nations of showing patriotism, eh girls?

Either that or strip off and get into some mud…at least make it entertaining for the lads!
Yeah, sure, your right... but there are some who can over-react... it still is and allways be a game. nothing more than a stupid game. And games are fun... yeah. And i really hope that the Dutch will win... England has no chance anymore. But if they dont... i wont die or something.... we have allways our Queens day ...

but well... wtf i am babbling about. i keeps you guys off the streets huh
Old 26-06-2004, 01:47 AM   Senior Registered Member #78
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I agree with Vortex, although I can understand people being as passionate as you are for sports, or for their country. But please Sarah, stop smashing Americans, it seems you are very sensative of your country but you have no respect for America. Believe me, America is corrupt and annoying, I can't wait to move over there. But still, when you say ''Pph, you're American.'' it kind of makes me, and maybe the other Americans, feel like shit. You seem pretty hostile toward Americans, even on the old forums, but just remember that you could be hurting the feelings of people you don't know. As for the Euro, I was upset with England's loss. I thought they would make it to the finals..
Old 26-06-2004, 01:53 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #79
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
I agree with Vortex, although I can understand people being as passionate as you are for sports, or for their country. But please Sarah, stop smashing Americans, it seems you are very sensative of your country but you have no respect for America. Believe me, America is corrupt and annoying, I can't wait to move over there. But still, when you say ''Pph, you're American.'' it kind of makes me, and maybe the other Americans, feel like shit. You seem pretty hostile toward Americans, even on the old forums, but just remember that you could be hurting the feelings of people you don't know. As for the Euro, I was upset with England's loss. I thought they would make it to the finals..
Arrr...a sensitive American...I actually like America and was considering moving over there...funny considering how many of you want to be here

I'm glad to see SOMEONE who can respect both sides without having to get too het up about it...5 star reply chief.
Old 26-06-2004, 08:33 AM   #80
ralfusius
Nutter Boris

Quote:
...well Ryan gave a perfect example, and heck, even Liam gave another example of why outside of Spain, Italy and England noone can really get why football means so much to these three nations.
I would like to add The netherlands to that too, The match against latvia has been watched by 11,7 million people, in a country with 16 million people. I think that's very much! Some streets are totally orange!

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden managed to dump out Holland
I'm sure we will win ( well , as long as it doesn't come to a penaty shoot out)