The Other Boleyn Girl - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 24-07-2006, 05:25 AM   Senior Registered Member #41
kingdumbass

Didn't Polanski fuck a 13 year-old?

As for Domino -- whether or not the film itself was good is irrelevant. Keira's performace WAS good. The fact that Tony Scott was apparently on mushrooms while making the whole thing is not Keira's fault. She disappeared into the role, and there is no "Keira Knightley" evident in her performance. It was bold and energetic. I think a major reason why her acting in that movie is criticized so much is that people are familiar with how she behaves off-screen, and the contrast between the two is too much for them to swallow. I also blame Tony Scott for all of the film's problems, as does just about everyone else.

Regarding ScarJo's being "subtle"? Well, I notice that you think Natalie Portman is the best out of the three of them, and there's certainly nothing subtle about HER acting. Natalie gives the most emotionally-charged performances out of any young actress I can name, whereas Johansson is just sedated. She comes across as just plain lazy.

Oh, and I am not blatantly biased in my view of Keira Knightley's acting. I agree that she was pretty crappy in the first Pirates movie, although I fail to see what that has to do with the second one. I also happen to think that she was just plain bad in Love Actually. In The Jacket, she was ALMOST good, but she mangled a line in one scene towards the beginning, and it ruined the whole performance. So there's three bad Knightley efforts in my opinion. It should be noted, however, that in all three of them, she at least made an effort, which Johansson apparently never does.

To sum it all up, you're gay.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 08:41 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #42
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdumbass
Didn't Polanski fuck a 13 year-old?
And that's relevant to his directing how?

Quote:
Keira's performace WAS good.
Nope. She was like a cardboard cut-out. It was so tangibly fake a performance, that's why she was so criticised. The contrast you point out was actually evident to anyone who watched the film, even those who know nothing of her off-screen. It came across through the performance that she was being something so far removed from her true self that shouldn't comprehend how someone like that would actually behave. That's why method actors draw on the reality of their experiences, because it leads to a better performance. You're wrong, that performance was as poor as POTC.

Quote:
Regarding ScarJo's being "subtle"? Well, I notice that you think Natalie Portman is the best out of the three of them, and there's certainly nothing subtle about HER acting. Natalie gives the most emotionally-charged performances out of any young actress I can name, whereas Johansson is just sedated. She comes across as just plain lazy.
Difference in the films they work in. Natalie was immensely subtle in Garden State, because she needed to be. I'd entirely disagree about the subtlety of her acting. V for Vendetta aside, her emotions always feel natural on screen. If you didn't understand why SJ is so sedate in LIT you missed the premise of the film. Both her and Murray are at a crossroads in their lives, and as the film progresses both come out of the malaise that traps them. Keira hasn't felt "natural" since BILB. So you're just plain wrong.

Quote:
It should be noted, however, that in all three of them, she at least made an effort, which Johansson apparently never does.
And there, ladies and gentleman, is the winner. Thank you for proving my very point. A good actor doesn't look like they "made an effort". If it's obvious you're trying too hard, then it's a bad performance. "Making an effort" is the worst thing an actor can do, and as such, you just proved SJ is the better actress. So in your own words, you're wrong. Thanks for finally admitting it.

Thank you and goodnight /me bows
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 12:35 PM   Senior Registered Member #43
kingdumbass

So basically what you're saying is that Johansson can show up for a film, do nothing but stare blankly into space, reciting her lines in the the most bland manner possible, and letting the other performers all carry the entire thing, and THAT'S good acting?
Because that is exactly what she does in everything. She is thoroughly boring to watch, and I have yet to see her carry a film, something which Knightley HAS done (Pride and Prejudice).
Old 24-07-2006, 01:43 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #44
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
That's why method actors draw on the reality of their experiences, because it leads to a better performance.
This makes me think of Sir Laurence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman. Hoffman looked terrible, like he'd been up for days on end, and Olivier asks him what was wrong. Hoffman told him that he was exhausted because he'd been up for days. Olivier asked him why and Hoffman said that the character he was playing had been several nights without sleep.
Olivier replies something to the tune of "dear boy, that's what acting is for."
As for Keira's acting ability, I think Pride & Prejudice and Dr. Zhivago answered that question. So many other roles she's played have been greatly influenced by the director and the kind of movie she's in. PoTC is a good example. If her acting seems a bit stilted, one must remember that it is a period piece. People were stilted. I think that corset serves as a powerful metaphor. Likewise, she's playing opposite Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. There isn't an actress, dead or alive, that could provide enough emotional weight on Jupiter to counterbalance that. Kingdumbass makes a good point about Domino. That film is completely over the top. That said, I thought she did pretty well considering the sort of character she was playing.
As for Scar Jo, I am anxious to see The Island. I want to see if she can pull off action like she has the quiet, indie film, full of pauses and sideways glances.
Old 24-07-2006, 11:14 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #45
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Don't bother. The Island is awful.

I didn't say Keira can't act. Nothing of the sort. Just that she's not quite as good as some people would love to believe. She has some stellar performances, some average ones, and some stinkers, but I believe she's had less stinkers than SJ. This might come down to the volume of work each of them does or it might just come down to the fact that SJ is a better film actress.

Heh, that story about Sir Laurence Olivier demonstrates why you guys actually produce the better film actors whereas our great actors are more theatrically skilled. It's a distinctly different approach and I have more respect and admiration for the subtle more natural approach.

Heh Dumbass. Really? You should watch Ghost World. She definitely carries that. Your vitriol doesn't help either as it's plain to see that that's not what I said at all. The fact that SJ appears to be doing that on screen merely means she's putting in a good performance. It's simply that you like an actor to entertain, whereas I view film as an art form and true art is a reflection of life.

Your use of the word "performers" is interesting; it's a stage term and doesn't belong in films. Film actors are actors, their job is to do anyting but "perform". Any films in which people "perform" invariably fail to capture the visceral nature of emotions.

Dumbass, you having a short attention span doesn't equate to her being "boring", you're just amused by more simplistic things. Girl with a Pearl Earring was a lavish film that entirely eclipsed Pride. And SJ's performance was a key part of that. SJ was good in an excellent film. KK was better than her co-stars in a distinctly average one. I know which I'd class as better acting.

But let's agree to disagree. I know I'm right so I have no need to continue this ridiculous argument when the truth is in plain sight to anyone not blinkered by Keira obsession.
Old 25-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #46
CountryTomboy91

Thora Birch in Ghost World. Good Actress. I think she and Keira did wonderfully in The Hole.
CountryTomboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 01:40 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #47
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Thora Birch is shit. Was good in American Beauty but that's it.

Was terrible in Ghost World and awful in The Hole. I watched both as a Thora Birch fan and was more impressed by SJ and KK, hence becoming a fan of theirs.
Old 25-07-2006, 04:13 AM   Senior Registered Member #48
kingdumbass

I agree that Thora Birch is shit....
She gets by on the same one-note bullshit that once carried Christina Ricci and Wynona Ryder before they actually started to get good: being dark and moody. People confuse it with depth. It's just a cheap ruse.

And about "The Island" -- Scarlett's performance in that film was the same as it always is: wooden and half asleep. They could have just replaced her with a cardboard cutout, and dubbed in her lines later. The task of giving that film any personality whatsoever fell on the shoulders of the heroic Ewan McGregor (with a little help from Steve Buscemi).
Old 25-07-2006, 06:42 AM   Senior Registered Member #49
Swordsman
Voted Best!

You saying Scarlett Johansson can't act and that Ewin McGregor is cool is like telling me Sonic Youth isn't awesome, it's just not true. Did you see Match Point? That was a quality film. Now i've never seen P&P because i'm a closet Keira fan and a dude. I think Johansson is better with emotions than Knightley, judging by the other films i've seen with Keira, and i guess P&P was the most emotional so i missed out on that. The only two movies i've liked with Portman have been Closer and Garden State, and her performance is good in both, especially GS, but i just think she's not subtle enough. Scarlett just tops them both.
Old 25-07-2006, 08:13 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #50
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
The task of giving that film any personality whatsoever fell on the shoulders of the heroic Ewan McGregor (with a little help from Steve Buscemi).
Heh. Ewan McGregor hasn't been good in a film since Black Hawk Down. Now I know to disregard your opinions on anything.
Old 25-07-2006, 09:59 AM   Senior Registered Member #51
kingdumbass

HOW DARE you speak that way about Obi Wan?!?
You're lucky I don't have a fucking light saber handy, and don't know where you live. Otherwise, you'd have 2 feet of purple electricity with a handle on the end sticking out of your ass.

And I've noticed that you Brits have a tendency to deride any of your young-ish, good-looking, actors the second they hit the big time, no matter what they do. They're ALL going to be the next big talent until they actually DO become the next big talent. Then, you start attacking them. Name one to whom this rule does not apply. I know we've talked about this before.
Old 25-07-2006, 10:31 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #52
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Yes, that's because invariably superbly talented British people get arrogant and lose sight of their craft. It's the same in any field, sports, films, anything. The English particularly have no idea how to handle being good at things, and when they get even slightly good, they then think they've got immense talent.

You're wrong about it being when they "become the next big talent". It's when they THINK they've reached that because they're deluded arrogant pricks but the truth is they waste their talent by believing to be better than they are.

Ewan and Keira are perfect examples. Potential talents, then got wrapped up in "being famous" and lost sight of what got them there. We admire people who keep their feet on the ground and Brits rarely do.

But I can give you one example of someone who actually IS immensely talented, did make the big time, and isn't slagged off. Kate Winslet. Or Rachel Weisz for that matter. Both more talented than Keira. But both handling the hype better than her.
Old 25-07-2006, 10:53 AM   Senior Registered Member #53
kingdumbass

Both are substantially older....
And Rachael Weisz is not a household name.

Plus, if you look at Keira, she has not really done much, HERSELF, to indicate that she is not handling fame properly (at least, relatively speaking). I don't see her disgracing herself in any outlandish way. She doesn't get into petty feuds with other celebrities; she doesn't insult people; she doesn't hang out at every club and premiere with the likes of Paris Hilton; there are no credible stories of arrogant on-set behavior; she hasn't melted down and gone the Hollywood plastic surgery route; she hasn't been arrested, or been involved in sordid love triangles. The fact that we don't know much about what she's REALLY like, or what she actually does on her own time, indicates that she's trying to avoid the things you mentioned as much as reasonably possible.

In fact, the worst decision I've seen her make was simply wearing a bad dress to a premiere, and that could probably be attributed to her stylist, Rachael Zoe (a vile person, if you knew anything about her).

And what has Keira done to indicate that she thinks she's better than she really is? She's always pointing out her own shortcomings, and talking about how everything could end on a mument's notice (in fact, she seems almost fixated on the idea). I've read in multiple places that she doesn't even have a publicist. Seems to me as though she's making a conscious effort to ignore the bullshit hype, and lead a semi-normal, insolated life when the cameras aren't rolling.

In view of how shamefully sensationalistic the British media is, she comes across as relatively clean.

She probably gets too much publicity, but who's to say how much of it is intentional?

*PS -- I just noticed something really weird: No matter how many times I edit my message, my typo in the word, "mument" cannot be fixed. It repeatedly comes up with a U where an O should be. That is fucked up.
Old 25-07-2006, 11:41 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #54
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Actually Dumbass I've not heard her say the "It could be all over tomorrow" line in ages. She's definitely believing her own hype and thinking she's a superstar these days. And the directors she's working with are only making it worse.
Old 25-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #55
CountryTomboy91

Scarlett is no good. Ewan McGregor was actually very awesome in Big Fish...
CountryTomboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 10:34 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #56
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Oh dear...
Old 26-07-2006, 12:33 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #57
Digital_Ice

big fish was no where near as big as it could have been.
Digital_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 01:44 AM   Senior Registered Member #58
kingdumbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Actually Dumbass I've not heard her say the "It could be all over tomorrow" line in ages. .
She just said it a few weeks ago during a Pirates 2 promotion interview....
The video was on Keiraweb.

Oh, and Hazzle -- here's the latest news on Scarlett Johansson:
http://www.scarlett-fan.com/index.ph...t_from=&ucat=3&

She's getting her own "signature series" of Reebok athletic shoes.

Quote:
Reebok has signed a multi-year partnership with one of Hollywood's most captivating young actresses, Scarlett Johansson. The 21 year-old beauty has partnered with the brand to co-create Scarlett "Hearts" Rbk, a fashion-forward, athletic-inspired footwear and apparel signature collection debuting in spring 2007 at high-end department stores and boutiques around the world.
GASP! I thought she was a real actress not caught up in bullshit!
Old 26-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #59
Mrs. Bale

keira is much more beatifull than natalie portman, keira dont loke likes her, keira looks like winona ryder.
scarlet joahnson? blerghhh, i dont like of this girl
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 03:35 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #60
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
She just said it a few weeks ago during a Pirates 2 promotion interview....
The video was on Keiraweb.
Actually having considered that more closely, it explains to me why she doesn't actually take the time to look at her weaker performances and try and improve as an actress. She takes such a short-term view of her career, which is why she takes on so many films and makes so many bad ones. If she would take more time off between films to analyse her weaknesses she'd improve.

That's what SJ does.

Quote:
She's getting her own "signature series" of Reebok athletic shoes.

GASP! I thought she was a real actress not caught up in bullshit!
Celebrity in marketing opportunity shocker! Grow up, I never said anyone wasn't in it for the money. They all are. If anyone actually wanted to give Keira such an opportunity, she'd jump all over it.

It's silly arguing with you anyway, I give up. You're a blinkered fanboy and that's all there is to it. You probably think the sun rises in her arse and sets in her mouth.