King Arthur: A Financial Bomb - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 19-07-2004, 08:55 AM   #41
Pinkfairy

I just thought that it would take some time for it to reach #1, but it seems to be doing worse. Whoever thought that A cinderella story would be tough competition... I'm positive though that movie will do well internationally, specially Europe. And the DVD will do really well. I still have hope for it here, I mean, people are bound to get tired of watching Spider-man, and some may realize that hilary duff's movie isn't all that creative. Audiences won't go watch KA because it's another Arthur film, but instead they go watch A cinderella story (it might as well have been called Another Cinderella story). I guess some people don't like change.
Pinkfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #42
alby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfairy
BTW, A cinderella story is on the third spot...
So the same people who brought America the second worst channel, right after UPN, has done it again.

Every junior high girl is watching it. Their loss.

Last edited by alby; 19-07-2004 at 11:12 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 08:55 PM   Senior Registered Member #43
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Disney is screwed

King Arthur was a bust, and no one remembers The Alamo. Both of these were made by Buena Vista, a division of Disney. Come to think of it, when was the last time a non-Pixar movie made Disney any money? Disney has slowly begun to lose money in the past years, I guess the golden years of Aladdin and the Lion King are over.
Dyce_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 09:56 PM   #44
Object Of Affection

Mah!

I saw king arthur wednesday night when we got it in the cinema but yeah i was dissapointed with the outcome not a great movie it has to be said and allthough it has an all out british cast i don't think it's going to do well over here either ... such a shame (DIE DISNEY DIE!!!!) thats who ruined it

I mean our cinema has only got it in 1 screen where as shrek 2 and spiderman 2 are in still in 3 screens each. Allthought spiderman 2 hasn't really taken off in our cinema

:fencing: <..CrazY

Totally agree with "dyce_blue" there. Disney are going down the pan and thats why pixar are leaving them MwahA! (could be the end for disney )
Old 24-07-2004, 12:51 AM   Senior Registered Member #45
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Question Which US movies have taken off in UK?

In the US, Spiderman 2 and I, Robot have quickly become the most popular movies of the summer. Dodgeball also had a nice little run. King Arthur definitely did not live up to expectations, the same with The Chronicles of Riddick. Which movies are more popular in Europe?
Old 24-07-2004, 12:59 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #46
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

In the UK only spiderman has been released so far, last week and I have no idea how it is done. I suspect KA to fair better over here, but I dont see it being a massive hit
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 01:07 AM   Senior Registered Member #47
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Disparity between US and UK

Are there a lot of British movies that we don't get here in the US? I remember Love Actually did O.K., but it was really hyped up. I can't really think of many others recently
Old 24-07-2004, 05:15 AM   #48
DesignatedJerk

i saw this movie and it was a solid movie. i thought keira' s acting was nicely played. the roles weren't so bad, i really felt the movie was pretty good in my opinion. i think it was just a bad decesion to release it around the same date as spider man 2. I think it's pretty much a sleeper hit like Last Samurai or what not.

38th member of kk pose
DesignatedJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 07:31 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #49
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Disney didn't ruin King Arthur, they're just the easy target at the moment. And Pixar was always planning on leaving Disney; they've actually stayed for more projects than originally planned.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 01:51 PM   Knightley News #50
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

Variety had this a few days ago on the international box office:

"King Arthur" took the crown in four markets and looks capable of emulating other period adventures such as "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," "Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World," "Troy" and "The Last Samurai," all of which turned out to be far more popular overseas than in the U.S.

The Antoine Fuqua-directed knights tale nabbed $2.4 million on 245 screens in Australia (in local currency 12% bigger than "Master & Commander"), $397,000 on 33 screens in Singapore (13% up on "Gladiator"), and $324,000 on 41 screens in Malaysia (on par with "Troy").
The Jerry Bruckheimer production corralled a strapping $342,000 on 62 screens in New Zealand but couldn't unseat the Spidey 2 and "Shrek 2" holdovers.

Paul
Old 24-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #51
DesignatedJerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightleyNews
Variety had this a few days ago on the international box office:

"King Arthur" took the crown in four markets and looks capable of emulating other period adventures such as "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," "Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World," "Troy" and "The Last Samurai," all of which turned out to be far more popular overseas than in the U.S.

The Antoine Fuqua-directed knights tale nabbed $2.4 million on 245 screens in Australia (in local currency 12% bigger than "Master & Commander"), $397,000 on 33 screens in Singapore (13% up on "Gladiator"), and $324,000 on 41 screens in Malaysia (on par with "Troy").
The Jerry Bruckheimer production corralled a strapping $342,000 on 62 screens in New Zealand but couldn't unseat the Spidey 2 and "Shrek 2" holdovers.

Paul

oh well that's good. leave it to european countries to have good taste in movies . go europe

38th member of kk pose
DesignatedJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 06:07 PM   Senior Registered Member #52
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Exclamation Bourne Supremacy is released today in US

The original Bourne I.D. did very well in US market 2 years ago. I expect it to unseat I, Robot as the leader and move Spidey to 3rd. With Catwoman also being released this week, I can't see King Arthur being above #9 on the list. This is quite unfortunate because King Arthur is better than that Cinderella and Sleepover crap that is above it on the list.

What are the top ten movies in Europe?
Old 24-07-2004, 07:37 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #53
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Cinderella and Sleepover are above it on the list because those are the only movies out right now directed at a younger audience, whereas every other movie out right now is directed at the same audience as K.A.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2004, 10:00 PM   Senior Registered Member #54
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Arrow Bourne II

It's official. Tonight I'm going to see the Bourne Supremacy, and once I return I will post the review on my yahoo movies profile. I have a list of all the movies I have seen in the theater, along with a letter grade and sometimes a review.

http://movies.yahoo.com/profiles/dyce_blue

check it out, I have put a lot of hours into it.
Old 24-07-2004, 11:27 PM   Officer #55
mufiman
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce_Blue
It's official. Tonight I'm going to see the Bourne Supremacy, and once I return I will post the review on my yahoo movies profile. I have a list of all the movies I have seen in the theater, along with a letter grade and sometimes a review.
its official. your post has nothing to do with Keira or king arthur. try to stay on topic.
king arthur will probably be at about 45-50 million [in the U.S.] at the end of this weekend and will probably get 55-60 million here. with worldwide box office, it will probably get back its budget and make profit off DVD sales, so its not that big of a financial disaster.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 06:00 AM   #56
alby

overseas gross is $4 million as of july 23.

piracy would probably affect earnings in asia as it always seems to do.
Old 25-07-2004, 11:49 PM   Senior Registered Member #57
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
overseas gross is $4 million as of july 23.

piracy would probably affect earnings in asia as it always seems to do.

Curious- How bad is the piracy in Asia? I've heard mixed rumors of it being terrible/ not as bad as in the states.
Oh, and KA sinks (unfortunately) lower into the top ten w/ the release of the Bourne Supremacy(kick-ass movie-go see it.)
Old 26-07-2004, 12:49 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #58
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511
Curious- How bad is the piracy in Asia? I've heard mixed rumors of it being terrible/ not as bad as in the states.
Oh, and KA sinks (unfortunately) lower into the top ten w/ the release of the Bourne Supremacy(kick-ass movie-go see it.)
It's pretty damn bad...there are whole economies built on it, trust me
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 12:56 AM   Senior Registered Member #59
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
It's pretty damn bad...there are whole economies built on it, trust me
Moses, that sucks. So what is it over there, some sort of mafia/underground movie-jacking thugs? Sucks to be them.
Old 26-07-2004, 01:00 AM   Senior Registered Member #60
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

It's bad

The piracy problem in Asia is really bad. My friend just got back from China with Dodgeball on DVD the day it was released. It was not good quality, but it kept my 8 bucks out of the theater. He also got me a DVD with every single Jackie Chan movie on it. It would cost hundreds of dollars to compile that manually.