King Arthur: A Financial Bomb - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 16-07-2004, 12:38 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #21
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

King Arthur's failure here has nothing to do with America's taste in film. That's rediculous. Look who the advertising was aimed at. There were problems from day one. I hope the British cast helps the movie do well in Europe, but here it had critic's negative views on it, movies aimed at similar audiences (that had positive reviews), a bad release date, and nearly unknown names. It just had a lot to compete with.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 02:16 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #22
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
King Arthur's failure here has nothing to do with America's taste in film. That's rediculous. Look who the advertising was aimed at. There were problems from day one. I hope the British cast helps the movie do well in Europe, but here it had critic's negative views on it, movies aimed at similar audiences (that had positive reviews), a bad release date, and nearly unknown names. It just had a lot to compete with.
Who said it did? I actually think the critics negative reviews really hurt it, and then the fact Disney decided to target it at a new audience (which it really was never suited to target) and a changed released date...basically everything you said...that was the reason it did poorly. Like I said, I suspect the better placement in terms of release, the better reputation of the cast (it's a purely European cast, I believe, with some Dutch and German representative too, if memory serves) and the fact that European critics tend to be less harsh at panning stuff (they will do it, but it takes a lot for them to totally decimate a film like the US critics did to KA) will help it do better. Ahh well...I'll be in a better place to judge when I see it.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 05:08 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #23
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Who said it did? I actually think the critics negative reviews really hurt it, and then the fact Disney decided to target it at a new audience (which it really was never suited to target) and a changed released date...basically everything you said...that was the reason it did poorly. Like I said, I suspect the better placement in terms of release, the better reputation of the cast (it's a purely European cast, I believe, with some Dutch and German representative too, if memory serves) and the fact that European critics tend to be less harsh at panning stuff (they will do it, but it takes a lot for them to totally decimate a film like the US critics did to KA) will help it do better. Ahh well...I'll be in a better place to judge when I see it.
...Yeah, that's what I just said....
And someone (actually I think two people) said it was America's taste in film, I'm just too lazy to scroll back and see who it was.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 05:23 AM   #24
alby

Quote:
I agree with Kelsey. Couldn't have been said better. As Ebert wrote: "'King Arthur' is not a bad movie, although it could have been better."

West made that comment.

Actually, international critics can be just as harsh in their reviews.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 09:01 AM   Senior Registered Member #25
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

I think critics hurt it the most, but there have been movies where critics have rated high :P But the release date was crap, should of been one week earlier in Australia so it could be in school holidays. Its not a kiddy movie, but still.
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 07:11 PM   Senior Registered Member #26
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Yeah, release date in the US sucked. One week after the 4th? And on a Wednsday? Most people who saw spidey got the week off for the holiday, and were in work during KA's release. But, yeah, when critics give movies bad reviews, than the movie suffers(except for rare occurences, like Van Helsing, Shrek 2, and as of late, probably I, Robot-reviews on the new movie haven't been preety, but somehow better than KA... most likely b/c of Will Smith in it...)
Old 16-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #27
johnnyboy

Did Shrek 2 really get a bad rating? That surprises me somehow I haven't seen KA yet, but I will, and twill be good
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 01:01 AM   Senior Registered Member #28
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy
Did Shrek 2 really get a bad rating? That surprises me somehow I haven't seen KA yet, but I will, and twill be good
Let's put it this way: State of the art graphics, but some critics thought it didn't live up to the expectations of the first. I found it a little boring compared to the original, except for Antonio Bandaras' Puss in Boots character. He was the only reason I saw the movie.
Old 18-07-2004, 12:43 AM   #29
alby

Did KA open overseas yet? No figures have come in from outside the US.
Old 18-07-2004, 03:09 AM   Senior Registered Member #30
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Did KA open overseas yet? No figures have come in from outside the US.
Only release date I know of is the U.K which opens on the 30th. If I'm not mistaked, I believe the Aussie version just came out.
Old 18-07-2004, 05:07 AM   #31
Kyle_West

hmm

i think it opened the 15 in australia.
Old 18-07-2004, 05:14 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #32
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
...Yeah, that's what I just said....
And someone (actually I think two people) said it was America's taste in film, I'm just too lazy to scroll back and see who it was.
Yeah...I acknowledged I was merely repeating stuff you'd said, since I agreed with it...sheesh.

And yeah, Alby has pointed out Kyle's hidden remark in an earlier post which is sooo wrong.
Old 18-07-2004, 06:32 AM   Senior Registered Member #33
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_West
i think it opened the 15 in australia.
Yer, it did, i went to see it at my local theatre, it was packed, about 60 percent full, i enjoyed it .
Old 18-07-2004, 08:47 AM   #34
Kyle_West

?

What did I put so wrong? oooo was it the bombing thing?...I looked back and thats all I could figure out. Kinda funny if thats it.
Old 18-07-2004, 09:26 AM   #35
Edward

what's the running time on it?
Old 18-07-2004, 02:13 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #36
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_West
What did I put so wrong? oooo was it the bombing thing?...I looked back and thats all I could figure out. Kinda funny if thats it.
Nahh...was just taking the piss out of your remark that it's poor US taste...sure you yanks DO lack taste ...but that had nothing to do with KA's poor showing at the Box Office.
Old 18-07-2004, 04:34 PM   Senior Registered Member #37
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
what's the running time on it?
The movie comes out at around 2hrs. But with previews(the best part of movies) it may clock 2 and a half, depending on how many there are.
Old 18-07-2004, 11:58 PM   Senior Registered Member #38
Richard
Dated

Is it true that Keira didn't make her appearance until after the first hour of the film?

EDIT : Nevermind. My lack of effort to look at the other threads before I asked the question got to me before my senses. It's true, which is disappointing.
Old 19-07-2004, 07:12 AM   #39
Pinkfairy

It dropped down to #6. Anchorman is now on the fourth spot, while F 9/11 went up to #5. I blame the critics for this. BTW, A cinderella story is on the third spot...
Pinkfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 07:28 AM   Officer #40
DragonRat
Officer

How A Cinderella Story could beat King Arthur is beyond me. The average teeny-bopper should realize the ugliness inside and commit themselves to the ravishment of Hilary Duff by gorillas in three years' time. Or perhaps the dynamic duo of Hilary and the 'oh-so-dreamy' Chad Michael Murray of One Tree Hill convinces the teeny-bopper to buy a ticket to see a movie based upon this fairy tale now reduced to mere mockery.

But yeah, A Cinderella Story appeals to one crowd, and that crowd does not care for the semi-historical drama of King Arthur, the stupendous slapstick of Anchorman, the political clout of Fahrenheit 9/11, or the comic-book nerdiness of Spider-Man 2.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote