King Arthur: A Financial Bomb - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 12-07-2004, 11:55 PM   Senior Registered Member #1
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

King Arthur: A Financial Bomb

I really liked King Arthur, I saw it twice, but financially it was a bomb

They spent around $170 million on it. $130 making it. $40 on marketing.
(I'll find the link were I saw these numbers)

1st week gross: $23.6million
CFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 12:07 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I was reading in the paper that some disney reps acually thought that the movie's opening weekend was "above their expectations."

Anyway, I hope more people see it in the coming weeks, or have a great first-week in the UK.

Damn you, Spiderman
Old 13-07-2004, 12:12 AM   Senior Registered Member #3
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Well from what I have been told; the movie was supposed to open this past winter around christmas time. However it was going to be released with an R rating. Diseny wanted Fuqua to edit it so it would be PG-13. This delayed the release until this summer.

Had it opened this past winter I think it would have done much better. Yeah I agree, damn Spiderman and Anchorman. Even thought anchorman was funny.
Old 13-07-2004, 12:43 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #4
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Errr...let's not forget the 130 on making it will be offset by the ENTIRE receipts from the WORLD, not just the American market. The film was ACTUALLY made for the European market, as shown by Antoine's choice of using a European cast...and I suspect it'll do a LOT better here, especially as Spidey 2 is out over a month before KA is.

I still suspect when the year's out we'll find this film's covered its costs...especially given how many will buy the DVD for the deleted scenes
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 12:45 AM   Senior Registered Member #5
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

I hope it does a lot better in Europe. I will be one of the people buying the directors cut DVD if there is one.
Old 13-07-2004, 12:48 AM   Officer #6
DragonRat
Officer

One must also remember the heavy amount of criticism it received. Regardless of what fans here think, many people do listen and read what critics have to say, and this movie was a critics' bomb. Of course, it ran against the bullet train that is Spider-Man 2, and the Will Ferrell comedy Anchorman. Hard to really have anything worthy of beating out a comic-book hero and a fart-and-piss comedy.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 02:59 AM   Senior Registered Member #7
frodo1511
Pin Dick

No doubt it'll do better in Europe( English cast, duh!!!) And, yes, I will be one of many buying the DVD/Extended Edition/R-rated( whatever the heck it's being called version on day one.
Old 13-07-2004, 03:03 AM   #8
Kyle_West

you see

These are brittish actors, as Hazzle reminds us. It will rake in the dough. It will easily make over what it took to spend World Wide. The US it is bombing because we simply have no taste. Anchorman, please. Arthur will be much better, but us americans are obligated to see what Will Ferrel is in. Look at elf.
Old 13-07-2004, 03:08 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_West
These are brittish actors, as Hazzle reminds us. It will rake in the dough. It will easily make over what it took to spend World Wide. The US it is bombing because we simply have no taste. Anchorman, please. Arthur will be much better, but us americans are obligated to see what Will Ferrel is in. Look at elf.
Agreed, America's in general have zero taste for movies(look at last years oscars- Chicago over the Two towers? PLEASE!!!) Anyway, from what my friends have said, Anchorman sucked major ass, the only semi-good thing about the movie is that Will Ferrel is in it(and that only helps it slightly oh and to all who have not seen the movie, Arthur IS better than anchorman.
Old 13-07-2004, 11:29 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #10
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Hehe...I was also going to say Mr Farrell isn't the huge phenomenon here he is there...he's popular, sure...but I'm not even sure if Anchorman is being released here this summer, as I've heard nothing about it yet...and if it is I suspect KA will beat it out...as for spidey...my bad...it's only two weeks gap between the two (16th for Spidey, 30th for KA, with previews of Spidey on the 15th and KA on the 29th). Should still be enough methinks.
Old 14-07-2004, 04:49 AM   Senior Registered Member #11
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Hehe...I was also going to say Mr Farrell isn't the huge phenomenon here he is there...he's popular, sure...but I'm not even sure if Anchorman is being released here this summer, as I've heard nothing about it yet...and if it is I suspect KA will beat it out...as for spidey...my bad...it's only two weeks gap between the two (16th for Spidey, 30th for KA, with previews of Spidey on the 15th and KA on the 29th). Should still be enough methinks.

Lucky. KA had a 1-week gap after Spidey. Plus, we had to contend with it's expotanious 4th of July take of 180 mill.
Old 14-07-2004, 07:36 AM   Senior Registered Member #12
Spire
InSpire Me

I had a feeling King Arthur would bomb. I mean, I like the movie and everything, and I was really looking forward to seeing Keira on the big screen again, but I knew it wasn't going to fly that high. It didn't bomb as bad as The Alamo though. That film cost $120 million to make and made $19 million during it's first 3 weeks. Another Disney bomb. But this film isn't going to tarnish Keira's career, it's just another role under her belt.
Old 14-07-2004, 07:47 AM   #13
danny cool
Newcomer

evan if the film had been released at christmas i dont think it would have made to much of a diffrence because rotk was out and we all know how well that did
Old 14-07-2004, 01:46 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #14
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Would've been THIS christmas. ROTK was LAST christmas.
Old 14-07-2004, 03:12 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
Elijahfan

over the last week i saw all spiderman2 (my mom wanted to take me to a movie), anchorman with my brother on opening friday, and KA on opening wednesday. i didnt really care for spiderman2 ithought it was just the same as the first one for me, anchorman was okay, because scenes were also cut from that (it had an R rating but they cut it down), and KA was okay for me. i would of wanted to see more keira, even though she was advertised the most i knew she didnt even appear in the movie until 40 minutes into it.

on the cost and how much the movie will make, in total, world wide and from dvd and video sales it'll probably cover the cost and go over a little, as stated by others before. and for the opening weekend, it was up against two big movies, Spiderman and anchorman. it's an ovious choice for the majority of audiences to see a comedy with will farrell or a comicbook movie thats being praised by critics all around.

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 03:58 PM   Senior Registered Member #16
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Then again. This was done by Disney. I mean they cover so much in terms of the entertainment/media market that they can afford to take a lot of risks.

I still would have liked to see it do better becaue I really enjoyed it. I saw it twice.
Old 14-07-2004, 04:20 PM   Senior Registered Member #17
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC
Then again. This was done by Disney. I mean they cover so much in terms of the entertainment/media market that they can afford to take a lot of risks.

I still would have liked to see it do better becaue I really enjoyed it. I saw it twice.

Agreed, Disney has taken many hits, but still gets back up. BTW, I'm seeing KA again on thursday, right before I,Robot(which, after seeing Arthur, dosen't look as good as I originally thought...)
Old 15-07-2004, 10:47 PM   #18
alby

It's kind of funny how Disney thought it could make money with Around the World in 80 Days, Raising Helen, and the Alamo.

Hopefully, overseas revenues will compensate for sluggish domestic gross. This was certainly the case for Troy and the Last Samurai. I remember reading an article about how Troy was making nearly three times as much overseas as it was domestically, and Troy is raking in $476 million in total. Craziness.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 11:47 PM   Senior Registered Member #19
Spire
InSpire Me

I think Disney was hoping King Arthur would turn into another PotC. PotC was a huge surprise hit, and Disney thought they could try to cut off the Spiderman 2 craze with another surprise. Unfortunately, KA doesn't have the charm or big name actors that PotC did.
Old 16-07-2004, 12:37 AM   #20
ChocolateMoose

I'm definatly going to see it! At least twice. And I know i'll like it...maybe not woah its amazing kind of thing, but it'll be cool! The British cast does help, lol. I mean, it has Keira, Ioan and Hugh! Three great actors who are just getting into big films and who rock! They should have opened it in the UK first...lol.

READ my reviews of films, theatre and concerts!
VOTE in the poll - Who has the most influence on which films you see at the cinema?
INVENT a caption - This months picture comes from Equilibrium!
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote