Domino - Page 9 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 02-10-2005, 07:31 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #161
Digital_Ice

more pics for y'all

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/im...=Action/Domino
Old 02-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #162
keirasknight
Newcomer

Excellent site and fantastic pics thanks. I saw a billboard poster for Domino today whilst driving home through town. I told my partner I want to go down there in the night and peel it off!!
"The problem for me was that by being in the film the magic was broken. I loved the first Star Wars film and my mum was really into it too, that's why I took the part. But the Force wasn't there when we were filming it, and they didn't have real light sabres, which annoyed me."

keirasknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:57 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #163
Digital_Ice

ooh, exclusive film clip from filmforce (ign.com)

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/655/655337p1.html

edit: and a review
http://www.cinematical.com/2005/10/0...-up-by-domino/
Old 08-10-2005, 05:41 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #164
Digital_Ice

Quote:
IF you are born into the British high life, specifically to the actor Laurence Harvey and Pauline Stone, a Vogue model, and wend your way through life so that you end up chasing drug dealers, murderers and thieves through the streets of South Central Los Angeles as a bounty hunter, chances are good that someone will eventually hear your story and think it's a movie.

In 1993 that is what happened when Tony Scott, the director of "Top Gun" and "Crimson Tide," read a profile of Domino Harvey, who was 23 at the time, in The Daily Mail of London. "I tracked Domino down in Hollywood, where she was modeling and bounty hunting," Mr. Scott said over the phone from his Los Angeles office late last month. "Domino lived in an apartment above the garage because she wasn't allowed in her mother's house with all her guns. We'd sit up in her apartment with the Soldier of Fortune magazines and AK-47's scattered around the room, and then I'd go and have tea with Mum and the Jack Russells and the Francis Bacons on the wall."

On Friday, when "Domino," starring Keira Knightley, arrives in theaters, audiences will get a glimpse of the complex, contradictory life of Ms. Harvey. But the movie's subject, who was eagerly awaiting the release, will not. She was found dead in her bathtub on June 27. She died after suffering a heart attack and had toxic levels of fentanyl, a painkiller, in her blood, said Stephen Bernard, her lawyer, citing a coroner's report. "Domino," which focuses almost exclusively on Ms. Harvey's exploits as a bounty hunter, does not dwell on the darkest part of her life: a 15-year struggle with drug addiction. What it does capture, her friends and family say, is the essence of someone who was so fascinated with danger that she organized her life around it, becoming one of the few female bounty hunters in the country and helping to capture 50 fugitives, often in life-threatening circumstances.

"She was about extremes," said Annabelle Nielson, one of Ms. Harvey's oldest friends from England. "Her extremes were guns, knives, arresting people. She lived an incredible life."

Ms. Harvey grew up in London with her parents and her half-sister, Sophie (from her mother's previous marriage), who was five years older. Her parents were celebrities at the time - her father starred in the original version of "The Manchurian Candidate," "Butterfield 8" and "Darling" - and the home was filled with fashion models and movie stars.

When she was 4, Ms. Harvey's life was turned upside down when her father died of cancer. "Domino was very angry after her father died," said her mother, Ms. Stone, who spoke about her daughter over the phone from London, where she has lived since 1999 after 21 years in Los Angeles. "She refused to watch any of his movies. And she never asked me anything about him."

Ms. Stone moved her small family to Belgravia, an aristocratic London neighborhood, where Ms. Harvey chafed at the restrictions of school, something she would experience until dropping out as a teenager to become a model.

"She was a beautiful girl with the height and everything else, but she had a particular look that was actually very sexually ambiguous with the tomboy thing and the shaved head," said Ms. Nielson, who met Ms. Harvey when the girls were 11 and in an English boarding school. "Modeling is all about having the right look at the right time, and it wasn't the right time for her."

After working as a D.J. in London clubs, Ms. Harvey decided to move to Los Angeles to be closer to her mother, who had married the restaurateur Peter Morton, a founder of the Hard Rock Cafe chain and of Morton's in West Hollywood, Calif., a favorite movie industry hangout.

Ms. Harvey had a close but at times difficult relationship with her mother. "Her personality was completely different than her mother's," said Heidi Gibbs, Mr. Morton's sister. "What was important to her mother was being a lady, and that just wasn't important to Domino."

In California, Ms. Harvey pursued various unladylike careers like working on a ranch and as a firefighter before finding her calling at Celes King Bail Bonds in South Central Los Angeles.

"She loved finding people no one else could find," Ms. Gibbs said. "She didn't have any fears or any boundaries or any fear of authority. She was missing that thing that stops most people in the world from doing things. And she loved her guns."

According to Mr. Scott, who spent weeks at a time watching her track down fugitives, Ms. Harvey thrived on the adrenaline rush and danger of bounty hunting. After tracking down a bail jumper, she and her fellow bounty hunters would collect 10 percent of the bail amount from the bail bondsman. She earned roughly $30,000 to $40,000 a year, Mr. Scott said, but money was secondary.

"I told her that it's dangerous what you do, you're going to kick down one too many doors and there is going to be a bigger gun on the other side," said Mr. Scott, who bought the rights to her story in 2004. "And she replied, 'Heads you live, tails you die.' That was her motto."

She worked primarily with two men, Ed Martinez, and someone known only as Choco - Celes King III, the company's founder, died in 2003 - and the three had their routine down to a science. "They'd get a motel room and draw a map of someone's house," Mr. Scott said. " 'You go here, I'd go here.' Kick in the door. Pseudo military thing."

Mr. Scott depicted one of Ms. Harvey's most dangerous exploits in the film. She, Mr. Martinez and Choco entered a room expecting to find only one person and were met by at least a dozen gang members with guns drawn. In the film Ms. Knightley gets out of the jam by offering lap dances, something Ms. Harvey did not do.

Although tabloids frequently described her as a lesbian, Ms. Harvey dated a series of men. "They were all losers," Ms. Stone said. "She was captivated by anybody with a dark side."

Throughout it all Ms. Harvey was haunted by drug addiction. She had started using various drugs as a teenager. As a bounty hunter, rubbing shoulders with criminals, she had colleagues who did not disparage her drug use, and if drugs were found at the scene of an arrest, Mr. Scott said, they would often be kept, considered part of the reward.

Ms. Stone said she paid for Ms. Harvey's four attempts at rehabilitation, the last one in Hawaii. "I thought at least she couldn't get out and walk home," Ms. Stone said. "She kept begging me to send her a ticket home and she'd almost persuaded me until my husband ripped the phone out of my hand."

Ms. Harvey ended up staying for two and a half years, finally leaving in 1999. "I thought it had worked in Hawaii," Ms. Stone said. "But after she came out, she probably didn't stay off drugs for a full 24 hours."

At the time of her death Ms. Harvey was awaiting trial on federal charges of conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine, drug possession, interstate drug trafficking and racketeering. She insisted to friends and family that she was innocent of the trafficking charges and pleaded not guilty in court.

"The government charged her as if she were a major player in the major distribution ring," Mr. Bernard said. "Based on our investigation, the primary charge was unfounded. Domino was a drug addict, but she wasn't a distributor."

DESPITE Ms. Harvey's defiance, those who were close to her in her final months said that she was shaken by the severity of the charges and by the more than three weeks she spent in the Metropolitan Detention Center, a federal jail in Los Angeles, while her $1 million bail was being arranged. After the bail was finally posted, she was placed on house arrest in her home in West Hollywood and subject to monitoring and to random testing for drug and alcohol tests.

Ms. Stone said she believed her daughter's experience in jail and fear of the charges against her finally might have scared her straight. "By the end she wasn't on drugs," Ms. Stone said. "She was getting random testing and realized that she had to toe the line."

For his part Mr. Scott didn't consider adding scenes to the movie to depict Ms. Harvey's death, although Ms. Harvey does appear briefly after the movie ends, but before the credits roll. "I am Domino Harvey," Keira Knightley says in a voiceover, while the camera focuses on Ms. Harvey calmly smoking a cigarette in front the Las Vegas Stratosphere Hotel. The screen then fades to black and the words "In Loving Memory of Domino Harvey" appear.

"I'm not macabre," Mr. Scott said. "I wanted to applaud her in life and in death. There was a move afoot to release the movie close to her death, but I didn't want to capitalize on her death."

Although there was speculation in the news media that Ms. Harvey had committed suicide by overdosing on painkillers, no one close to her believes that.

"I don't know what occurred at the end," Ms. Gibbs said. "She was excited about the future. She kept talking about how there was going to be a movie about her. She had a purpose."

Ms. Stone guesses that because Ms. Harvey was anxious and desperate for sleep, she took too many painkillers. No one knows how she obtained the pills. Ms. Stone described an upbeat voice mail message Ms. Harvey left on the day she died. "She wanted to tell me about the four people she'd employed to look after her," Ms. Stone said. "She said: 'Mumsy, everything is going fine. They're really, really nice people, and I chose them myself. Boys at night to keep the riffraff away. Don't worry about me. I love you lots.' "
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/09/fa.../09DOMINO.html

i know its an article, and someone will comment that it should be in the article archive, but its about domino not keira, so i put it here.
Old 15-10-2005, 05:35 AM   #165
Jasmine

I just got back from seeing it and....Hmmm... Okay well, it's not gonna be one of those movies I'll see over and over again.

Maybe I'm just slow, or maybe I was distracted by Keira's gorgeousness, but... I completely lost until 3/4 of the way through when everything finally came together and I finally figured out what was going on.. Maybe that's how it was supposed to be--like, the audience was supposed to be left practically clueless until the end... but I didn't like it.

I also didn't like the way that it was shot, the camera angles and that stuff. I felt like I was in some sort of tunnel and I could only see straight forward. Except for like, the tunnel kept moving around spastically, so I'd catch glimpses of things but never see the whole picture. It made me kind of frustrated.

And... the constant "symbolism" or reference to the spastic goldfish seemed a bit weak. Like.. that whole "I knew something bad was gonna happened when my goldfish died." seemed sort of lame.

But, Keira was amazing. I wasn't sure whether she'd be able to pull the "badass" thing off, and I think she did it pretty well. And the sex scene was yummy, I know why she doesnt mind taking her shirt off... She's proof that size does not matter.

But yeah. There's my "review". I'm done.

Broken Actually | MySpace | LiveJournal | DeviantArt
Jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2005, 10:06 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #166
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I'm about to go see it. All of the reviews have been "mess" or "visionary"...so I guess I'll see.
Old 16-10-2005, 05:58 PM   Senior Registered Member #167
Richard
Dated

How long were the former 90210 stars on-screen?
Old 16-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #168
chewwie

I thought it was awesome! I loved it so much i made a new banner: Hope u like!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keriabanner7.jpg (151.7 KB, 116 views)

chewwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 02:16 AM   Senior Registered Member #169
Rob The BLack Douglas

I think I find myself in the minority here, but I enjoyed Domino. It had that punk-rock fluid reality, go withthe flow thing going. Lots of humour, Mickey Rourke continues to improve with every performance of his comeback, check out his turn as Marv in Sin City.

Keira did a a good job portraying Domino and the movie is an over the top hper comic book on film.

The structure of the film is intentionally non-linear. Most of the audience I was with didn't figure out the plot until 3/4 of the way through the movie, you are definately not slow Jasmine, and some of the camera cut work was a little to frantic and jumbled. Also I thought the goldfish stuff was rubbish and served no purpose.

I enjoyed myself and I admit that I was laughing pretty hard during the Jerry Springer Show bit.

But most impoertantly, Keira's boobs rock!

Rob
To deny love is to deny life.
Love is as necessary as oxygen.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/robslibrary/
http://www.myspace.com/kilted_robespierre
Rob The BLack Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 06:36 AM   #170
chewwie

Ditto all that!

chewwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 01:05 PM   Senior Registered Member #171
ryan

Domino was erection-inducing. Keira's hot...nuff said.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 01:37 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #172
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I usually respect Lance Goldenberg's (reviewer for the local Weekly Planet) opinion when it comes to movies, but I really think he missed on Domino. He says we know "virtually nothing" about the characters and why they do what they do. Really? The scene where Domino meets Ed Moseby and Choco in the alley "after" the bounty hunter seminar tells us a lot about Moseby. I think it's pretty obvious that the man's motivation is money. He doesn't seem overly concerned about his reputation or doing the right thing. Otherwise, Domino's voice overs tell us what we need to know. Choco grew up hard in Venezuela. He never had the guiding hand of a parent until he met Ed. If you've seen the movie, you'll understand how violent he is. This characteristic is very believable if you listen to what Domino says about him.
I didn't walk out of the theater shaking my head. I walked out very satisfied. But, then again, that may be related to what she says to Lucy Liu near the end of her interrigation. I felt like she was speaking directly to me.
Another of the criticisms that were leveled was that it was a rip-off of Natural Born Killers and Tarantino and Ritchie films. It's been a long time since I've seen NBK, but again, I don't see it. I think this is simply a cop-out by the reviewer. Any frenetic, violent film could be accused of this. And trust me, Domino is frenetic and violent. However, if you pay attention to what's going on (sorry to disagree with you again Mr. Goldenberg) the plot is relatively simple to follow. It's also very funny. I laughed at a lot of the little jokes and references sprinkled through the film.
And, to answer Richard's question, the stars of 90210 are on screen a fair amount...and to their credit...seem to take the pop culture jabs at their expense relatively well.
Here's my list of favorite movies involving Keira Knightley:
1. Pirates of the Caribbean-Curse of the Black Pearl
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. Bend it Like Beckham
4. Domino
5. The Jacket
6. Love Actually
7. Pure
8. King Arthur
9. Princess of Thieves
10. The Hole

As you can see, Domino is in the top half.
Old 17-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #173
sarrkerr
Newcomer

I really really liked Domino. The general story line was a bit wonky, but the filming and actors really caught your attention whether you wanted to or not. At times it was hard to concintrate, but I really enjoyed it. I really think this was one of Keira's best perfomances.
Old 22-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #174
airbag1000
Newcomer

Domino isn't as bad as people are saying!

I didn't think I'd like this movie but it wasn't half bad. Keira did pretty good job in the role, too. Originally I thought that she may have been miscast, but she was quite convincing. The part didn't call for her to do a lot of ass kicking, and that was a good thing. Had she been beating up huge ass guys the whole time she wouldn't have fit the bill.

The movie had a complicated plot and at times, it was hard to follow. Needless to say I was able to follow it, and it was very interesting. I think you guys should go see it - you'll think it's pretty cool!
airbag1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2005, 11:08 PM   #175
Jasmine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan
Domino was erection-inducing. Keira's hot...nuff said.
I didn't get an erection.

Broken Actually | MySpace | LiveJournal | DeviantArt
Jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 07:49 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #176
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine
I didn't get an erection.
You obviously don't like Keira enough.
Old 26-10-2005, 02:19 AM   Senior Registered Member #177
Rob The BLack Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
You obviously don't like Keira enough.

You don't know Jasmine
Old 26-10-2005, 06:27 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #178
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The BLack Douglas
You don't know Jasmine
You don't know sarcasm.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 03:58 AM   Senior Registered Member #179
Rob The BLack Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
You don't know sarcasm.
Like I said you don't know Jasmine

And sarcasm never translates well online so take it easy
Old 27-10-2005, 06:23 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #180
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The BLack Douglas
Like I said you don't know Jasmine
Yes, but her obsession with Keira is rather well documented. Not that that's a bad thing or anything. I meant Cliff was clearly being sarcastic, and not trying to suggest that Jasmine really doesn't like Keira enough :icon_roll

Quote:
And sarcasm never translates well online so take it easy
I was taking the piss. Relax.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote