Anime - Love it or Hate it? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Anime?
Love it. 11 50.00%
Hate it. 5 22.73%
Haven't really seen any. 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2004, 03:08 AM   Senior Registered Member #1
Spire
InSpire Me

Anime - Love it or Hate it?

Anime has been getting a lot more attention in the US lately thanks to programs like Adult Swim and movies such as Kill Bill Vol. 1 and The Animatrix. So, how many of you have been exposed to anime? And if so, did you like what you saw? For those of you who haven't gotten into this lately, I've listed a few of the anime "essentials".

Cowboy Bebop:

Cowboy Bebop is quite amazing. Even if you've decided you loathe all forms of japanese art, check this one out. Besides having the best soundtrack of any TV show ever, the art is quite incredible. The characters are well developed and lovable, the show doesn't really have a main plot, it's quite episodic, but what little plot there is, is quite interesting. This show is really unlike anything you've seen on television. Please, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Akira:

This is actually one of the latest anime movies I've seen, despite it's mass popularity and the fact that it was released in the 80's. Despite it's age, the animation is very impressive and the action nonstop. I lost count of how many things exploded or were torn apart. Through all this, it manages to keep an intriguing storyline (which goes a little into left field near the end, IMO) and develop it's characters. An overall great film.

Grave of the Fireflies:

Movies never bring tears to my eyes, I can't think of single American movie that made me even remotely sad (except for Boromir's death in LotR). That being said, this is the saddest movie I've ever seen and I bawled my eyes out. A film on Japanese war orphans, I have to highly reccomend this. It's not action-packed, it's rather slow moving, but you'll be captivated by it none-the-less.

Neon Genesis Evangelion:

Kickass giant robots going Kung-Fu on each other? Check.
Confused hormone-driven teens? Check.
Crazy plot involving religion and corrupt corperations? Check.

This is your basic anime, but so much more. The action is awesome, the plot gripping, and the animation stellar. The only gripe with this are that some of the characters are uber-whiny. And I absolutely hate whiny characters. Still, this is one of the best Anime series around, so check out if you get the time.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:11 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

The only anime I've ever liked was the Ruroni Kenshin movie.....because it wasn't silly like all the other ones. It was just an action movie with cartoon characters instead of actors. And it had a great story too....I don't really like anything else that I've watched though, I try to stay away...

Edit: you didn't give a 'meh' option...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:15 AM   Officer #3
mufiman
Officer

I've seen...akira, vampire hunter d [and its sequel], and ninja scroll i believe. all were okay, but i havent seen anything else, besides a little bit of cowboy bebop. i dont care for it, but i dont hate it. its okay. ill go under the imaginary "meh" option that jacoby mentioned.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:18 AM   Senior Registered Member #4
Spire
InSpire Me

Exactly. All of that cartoony garbage you see on daytime Cartoon Network (DBZ, Inuyasha) has given Anime a poor name. All of the titles I listed are 100% serious (Cowoby Bebop has some humor in it though). And I can't edit the poll, so that's that.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:53 AM   Senior Registered Member #5
DefyingGravity

I'm more into manga than I am into anime. My favourites are Pet Shop of Horrors and Sailor Moon.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #6
Richard
Dated

I've never been a fan of it. It doesn't impress me... at all. Apprantly it's popular everywhere, especially to all the asians at my high school.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:22 AM   Senior Registered Member #7
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I've never been a fan of it. It doesn't impress me... at all. Apprantly it's popular everywhere, especially to all the asians at my high school.
Anime's awesome, and I'm asian :P Its an accurate assumption, most of my friends like it as well.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:38 AM   Officer #8
Renegade
Stock Boy

I got through watching half of the Cowboy Bebop movie. I was impressed. The animation was sharp and the storyline seemed quite interesting. Shame I didn't get to finish it.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:47 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
Spire
InSpire Me

The movie is pretty good, some great cinematography in spots and an overall kickin' soundtrack. Pretty much every episode of the show is great, but Episodes 5, 25, and 26 stand out as some of the best animated segments in recent history. Nothing quite tops watching Spike fly threw a catherdral window in slow motion to the song "Green Bird", with all the shards of the stained glass window glistening around him as he floats in and out of flashbacks. Or the finale to Episode 26, which I won't spoil.

You really need to have a listen to it's soundtrack. Try to find a copy of "Blue" by Mai Yamane sometime, or "Tank!" by Yoko Kanno (the shows theme song). Or catch me on AIM sometime and I'll send them your way.
Old 13-07-2004, 04:29 PM   #10
Glow

Spir you put in Manga's photos ...you know in Poland we have Japonise anim and it is Manga I wached Kill Bill vol.1 and anim in this film was horrible and stupid
Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 04:36 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I occasionally watch the stuff (lately: Akira, the new Gungrave movie, and the Animatrix) I'm also excited about the new Van Helsing anime movie. The only regret I have about it is the extreme hair-doos( Final Fantasy, i'm looking at you
Old 13-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #12
Glow

Final Fantasy is kind of anim , too ! But it isn't a movie is a game on Playstacion I know this , hihi
Old 13-07-2004, 04:54 PM   Senior Registered Member #13
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

I don't watch any Anime. I don't mind it though because a lot of my favorite video games such has every final fantasy,xenosaga,xenogears and a bunch of other RPGs have a lot to do with it.

I guess I could say I kinda like it.
CFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 04:56 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #14
acliff
llama llama duck

Princess Mononoke, Spirited away, the cowboy beebop series, as well as trigun, I enjoyed immense. Initial D is pretty good too.
Ghost in the shell, Akira, ninja scrolls are classics.

However I don't really know the difference between anime and manga. Is there a significant difference? Lets try and keep hentai out of this discussion shall we?
Old 13-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #15
Glow

I don't wach any animes ,too But I like "Tom and Jerry" It's kind of anim , too Meybe diffrent kide of anim but it is anim
Old 13-07-2004, 05:04 PM   Senior Registered Member #16
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Manga is comics, right? That's what I've been told. I think the Japanese translation of 'manga' is 'comic'. I may be wrong though.
Old 13-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #17
Glow

hmmm...I don't know ...meybe its true but it isn't funny Manga is horrible
Old 13-07-2004, 05:50 PM   Senior Registered Member #18
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I just think anime in general is Japaneese for "incredibally detailed drawings of peopel/robots/guns/whatever.
All I know is that I will never be that good with a pen and pencil.
Old 13-07-2004, 11:54 PM   Senior Registered Member #19
Spire
InSpire Me

Manga specifically refers to Japanese graphic novels. Be warned though, they read right to left, so they can be kinda confusing. I'm not a big fan of Manga, or even American comic books for that matter.

Anime is Japanese Animation, to be precise. It has sub-divisions, the only ones I'm familiar with are hentai (perverted anime) and mecha (giant robots).

Quote:
I don't watch any Anime. I don't mind it though because a lot of my favorite video games such has every final fantasy,xenosaga,xenogears and a bunch of other RPGs have a lot to do with it.
Yes, both Xenogears and Xenosaga are heavily influenced by anime (Xenogears has about 15 minutes of actual anime footage actually). Xenogears is a great example of where most anime goes in terms of storylines and subject matter.
Old 15-07-2004, 09:21 AM   #20
alby

Cowboy Bebop has a great soundtrack in my opinion.

There's a resurgence of interest in Saint Seiya, it seems. I'm not referring to the rated G version, aka Knights of the Zodiac. The Hades chapters are excellent.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote