Over-rated movies? Under-rated movies? - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 13-07-2004, 04:44 AM   Officer #21
Renegade
Stock Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire
I've disagreed with a lot of the choices here, but saying Fight Club was over-rated is absolute madness. If anything, it's under-rated. It's pretty well-known and didn't do poorly at the box office, but it didn't do great either. It was fairly controversial and that fueled a lot of it's publicity. It's not my favorite movie ever, but it's pretty damn great. And what was wrong with the ending? (SPOILERS) What's wrong with seeing two people hold hands and fall into love while buildings explode and the finacial world crumbles in front of them?
Fine. For me, it was marginally overrated. I didn't quite enjoy the ending as much as I would have if I hadn't figured it out. But I really did like the parts of the movie culminating towards the end, very well done. Hmmm, well then...it seems my view was a little biased...oh well
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 07:37 AM   Officer #22
Ashlyn
Militia Lieutenant

I can't think of many things to add here - most of mine have been said, but I will add Harriet The Spy to my underrated list, it's just too good. And overrated - Titanic and Troy need to be mentioned again.
Ashlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 05:00 PM   Senior Registered Member #23
Elijahfan

wow, all the lists are good, in fact i'm going to rent some of them off line. well here's my lists (oviously its only the movies that come to mind at the moment)

overrated:
the terminal (steven spelberg movies basically)
troy (they just hyped it up for ticket sales)
chicago
intolerable cruelty (everything with george clooney right now makes me wanna puke)
same with oclean's 11, confessions of a dangerous mind. plus steven sodenberg keeps using the same actors! other people need jobs too, i just dont like seeing the same people over and over again, it's not new
the passion of the christ (i hated it's marketing ploy and mel gibson, some one needs to smack him, he thinks he's god)
the last samuari...recent tom cruise movies
titantic (most leonard dicapio movies)
charlies angels 1 and 2 (i hate cameron diaz, but lucy is awesome)
shrek 1 and 2 (mike meyers needs a new accent, it's always scottish and british, austin powers)
gangs of new york...though daniel day lewis was good

underrated:
donnie darko (more people are getting into it now, as with Office Space)
zoolander... everyone i know who's watched it liked it
the brotherhood of the wolf...more foreign (can't spell right now) films! also city of the lost children
28 days later (danny boyle genius behind transpotting)
memento, i dont care about the critics praise it recieved, more people need to rent it, and play it in the correct order (easter egg on dvd) it's just sad
to die for...it's freaking hilarious, same with cold mountain...i think i'm the only one who finds that movie funny

that's all i can think of for now

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 01:16 AM   Senior Registered Member #24
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Overrated movies:
Chicago,
Moulin Rogue,
Any Steven Spielberg movie (besides the original Jurassic Park)
The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions,
Terminator 3,
Dawn of the Dead( the new one),
Titanic,
Troy,
Van Helsing,
Spidey 1&2, (along with all comic book movies)
Shrek series
POTC
Predator series,
Harry Potter series,
Rush Hour 2,
Friday series,

Underrated movies:
The Martix(sequals sucked),
Terminator 2,
28 Days Later,
The Last Samurai
Jurassic Park(again, because of it's sequals)
Underworld
King Arthur
Alien series(b/c of 3 and Ressurection)
Dodgeball,
Rush Hour,

Fine where they are:
LOTR(yes, many will critisize that choice...)
Gladiator,
Finding Nemo,
X-Men series,
Gremlins,
King Arthur(my opinion)

Last edited by frodo1511; 15-07-2004 at 02:38 AM.
frodo1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 01:22 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #25
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Meh...get this straight...original Matrix was a pure action film covered ina thin vaneer of philosophy. The special effects weren't that awe-inspiring, but then I saw it late, so perhaps that's slightly affected my perspective...though that merely shows how easily the film dated.

Difference with Reloaded (for me the best of the three) is that the characters and philosophy had more depth to them, so they have, in my view, more staying power. When the original is finally seen as dated and average, Reloaded for me will survive for its superior script (not much superior, but better for sure). Character depth is something all three lacked, but Reloaded was the best in that regard.

As for Aliens...I think the entire series is class, from start to finish, each different in its own way. I enjoyed all four thoroughly...Resurrection was the poorest, 3 was decent, Aliens was awesome and Alien was a classic, better than Blade Runner in my view. However the series as a whole stands up in my view.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 01:23 AM   Senior Registered Member #26
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511
Overrated movies:
Dawn of the Dead,
Predator series,

Underrated movies:
Terminator 2,
You're not talking about the original George Romero "Dawn Of The Dead", if anything that's under-rated. And "Predator", I don't know about you but the first one was classic. The second on the other-hand was a step down, but I was amused. Gary Busey & Danny Glover... are the reasons.

I don't think T2 was under-rated. It got huge buzz and did groundbreaking special effects for that time. Somebody will prove that.
Old 15-07-2004, 01:35 AM   Senior Registered Member #27
Spire
InSpire Me

Quote:
Meh...get this straight...original Matrix was a pure action film covered ina thin vaneer of philosophy. The special effects weren't that awe-inspiring, but then I saw it late, so perhaps that's slightly affected my perspective...though that merely shows how easily the film dated.

Difference with Reloaded (for me the best of the three) is that the characters and philosophy had more depth to them, so they have, in my view, more staying power. When the original is finally seen as dated and average, Reloaded for me will survive for its superior script (not much superior, but better for sure). Character depth is something all three lacked, but Reloaded was the best in that regard.

As for Aliens...I think the entire series is class, from start to finish, each different in its own way. I enjoyed all four thoroughly...Resurrection was the poorest, 3 was decent, Aliens was awesome and Alien was a classic, better than Blade Runner in my view. However the series as a whole stands up in my view.
The Matrix sequels philosphy is too overbearing and self-righteous. It's a blatent attempt at being a "smart" movie, and that's a big peeve of mine. A movie is either smart, or it isn't. Anything film that tries to be smart and fails (such as Reloaded) is extremely annoying. Nevermind all the morons who touted their intelligence because they thought they understood the "complex" plot of the movie, or all the religious references. And the action lacked any intensity. It was 90% CGI, and it showed.

And about Aliens, I agree completely. The original is such a classic film.

Quote:
I don't think T2 was under-rated. It got huge buzz and seemed to change how films were made, I think. Somebody will prove it.
Agreed, T2 was a major step in film-making and one of the best films of the 90's.
Old 15-07-2004, 01:49 AM   Senior Registered Member #28
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
I haven't seen any of the Alien films. Which is embarrassing due to the fact that I have seen a lot of the classic films from that genre. All of my friends have Alien on their top-ten list of scary movies, and I feel left out. Have you bought the Alien Quadrilogy set? Is it any good? Do you even know what I'm talking about?
Old 15-07-2004, 01:53 AM   Senior Registered Member #29
frodo1511
Pin Dick

In my opinion, the predator series recieved less credit than the alien series. as for that, I kinda got a little confused in ressurection, with the whole alien/human hybrid, and the Ripley clones they were disgusting.

As for T2, it was a great movie, but for the generation who only saw T3 might get turned off, it wasn't as good as the first two.

For the Matrix, everyone all liked how it has a religious/spiritual story of survival, inner-strength, and the overall demise of human civilization. Most hated how the 2nd and 3rd has little story compared to the first one. They didn't like how it became so confusing("huh, who is this architect, train keeper, merrovingian, waah I want my mommy!!!) I had no problem with the sequals, they just didn't live up to the expectations of the original(kinda like a lot of sequals...)
Old 15-07-2004, 01:55 AM   Senior Registered Member #30
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I haven't seen any of the Alien films. Which is embarrassing due to the fact that I have seen a lot of the classic films from that genre. All of my friends have Alien on their top-ten list of scary movies, and I feel left out. Have you bought the Alien Quadrilogy set? Is it any good? Do you even know what I'm talking about?
I don't have it, but my mom wants to get it(HUGE alien fan) I also laugh at all the people who bought the trilogy collection a year before the quadrilogy.
Old 15-07-2004, 01:57 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #31
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire
The Matrix sequels philosphy is too overbearing and self-righteous. It's a blatent attempt at being a "smart" movie, and that's a big peeve of mine. A movie is either smart, or it isn't. Anything film that tries to be smart and fails (such as Reloaded) is extremely annoying. Nevermind all the morons who touted their intelligence because they thought they understood the "complex" plot of the movie, or all the religious references. And the action lacked any intensity. It was 90% CGI, and it showed.
Well..if one takes your "either a movie is smart or it isn't" thing to its conclusion, why even introduce teletubbies philosophy into the first film? Seriously, I'm an amateur philosopher and it was TERRIBLY immature and naive. The second at least tried to delve deeper. Oh...and I got the philosophy...it wasn't complex, just better thought through and original...the "original" was anything but...its entire philosophy is rehashed Plato.

As for action...the action in the first film wasn't actually THAT amazing either...good...but meh...second actually got more points in my book for the use of CGI as it's actually a hard skill to use well, and I felt they had done superbly.

Quote:
You're not talking about the original George Romero "Dawn Of The Dead", if anything that's under-rated.
Agreed.
Old 15-07-2004, 02:02 AM   Senior Registered Member #32
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Overrated:
Titanic
Spiderman 1 and 2
Troy
Last Samurai
Anything by Michael Moore

Underrated:
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Memento
Boondock Saints
There are more, I just can't think of them right now.
CFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 02:02 AM   Senior Registered Member #33
Richard
Dated

Quote:
For the Matrix, everyone all liked how it has a religious/spiritual story of survival, inner-strength, and the overall demise of human civilization. Most hated how the 2nd and 3rd has little story compared to the first one. They didn't like how it became so confusing("huh, who is this architect, train keeper, merrovingian, waah I want my mommy!!!) I had no problem with the sequals, they just didn't live up to the expectations of the original(kinda like a lot of sequals...)
In my opinion, typical teenagers that saw that film probably only cared about the Kung-Fu, that and the CGI. For example, I remember asking my friends in school back when it was released and "everybody" seemed to like it. No matter how hard I try, I for one think that they have no idea what the matrix trilogy is about. It's kinda refreshing to actually see people debate about the storyline... so please debate.
Old 15-07-2004, 02:12 AM   #34
Kyle_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC
Overrated:
Titanic
Spiderman 1 and 2
Troy
Last Samurai

Underrated:
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Memento
Boondock Saints
There are more, I just can't think of them right now.
You couldn't be more right. I love boondock, lock stock, and I was just about to edit a post saying Memento. I hate spiderman, titanic, and troy. I liked Roger and Me from Michael Moore and the last samurai is good. But you have list I'd agree with most other than my own
Old 15-07-2004, 02:36 AM   Senior Registered Member #35
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
In my opinion, typical teenagers that saw that film probably only cared about the Kung-Fu, that and the CGI. For example, I remember asking my friends in school back when it was released and "everybody" seemed to like it. No matter how hard I try, I for one think that they have no idea what the matrix trilogy is about. It's kinda refreshing to actually see people debate about the storyline... so please debate.
Yeah, when the first one came out, all my friends and I only cared about the fighting, shooting and "bullet-time", since we were 11 when it came out, so of course we didn't get the story. But now that we're older, and saw both sequals together, we understood the story, and had arguments of "No, I was right..." for hours on end, and we still debate what it really means from time to time.
Old 16-07-2004, 12:48 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #36
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Yeah, when the first one came out, all my friends and I only cared about the fighting, shooting and "bullet-time", since we were 11 when it came out, so of course we didn't get the story. But now that we're older, and saw both sequals together, we understood the story, and had arguments of "No, I was right..." for hours on end, and we still debate what it really means from time to time.
For me the spiritual aspects are overplayed, the survival thing has been done to death, inner strength...all sounds too bloody familiar...even the demise of human civilisation is unoriginal. I much prefer how in the second and third they actually bring in a nihilist streak with the multiple zions and how the "Chosen One" is a myth created by the system to work the system. It actually explains in a lot more depth the ONLY interesting aspect of the plot of the first film, which was the idea that human beings couldn't take a "perfect" matrix because we can't handle perfection. It explains the diversity of human experience, the contrast from person to person. I just think the first film's plot was SO unoriginal...can't see anything to like about it...at least the second and third had ORIGINAL aspects to them for a change. Sorry, but that's my take on it. At least the second and third built upon the platonic foundations of the first...read The Republic and you'll find that the cave analogy pretty much explains the entire concept behind the Matrix in the first film...a world where things are not what they seem, shadows of the truth, and where one person, able to see the true forms, able to see the light, so to speak, will come and tell people of the truth and lead them. Sound familiar?
Old 16-07-2004, 05:27 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #37
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC
Overrated:
Amen.

Adding more to the list:

Under-Rated:
- Bend It Like Beckham (In America at least...hardly anyone I ask has seen it, and those who have only saw it because I told them to)
- Superstar
- Win a Date With Tad Hamilton!

Over-Rated:
- Van Helsing
- Meet the Parents
- Something About Mary

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 06:50 AM   Officer #38
mufiman
Officer

van helsing was overrated? i thought it was supposedly bad with the critics and all? i hated it. anyway, ill add more to the list

over rated:
- the last samurai
-8 mile
-adam sandler movies

under rated:
-the girl next door...very funny teen comedy and it even has a bit of romance in it.
-the butterfly effect...it wasnt that bad. i think people hated it a lot because it had ashton kutcher being serious.
-man on fire...this movie had it all. this movie should have been "the punisher" and not the crap with thomas jane.
-eurotrip...i thought it was better than old school...
-spartan...disappeared from theaters too quickly.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #39
ChocolateMoose

Over rated:
The Day After Tomorrow - flits from one scene of distruction to another, no time to develop the characters and the ending was rubbish...no what happens next, it was like storms over, the end.
Titanic - Haven't seen it and refuse to as it looks pretty bad, why was there all that hype about it to start with?
Harry Potter - Really am baffled by the books and films and about how/why there is so much interest in them.
Troy (even though I thought Eric Bana was amazing in it and the battle scenes were awsome...in all honesty, it was hyped a bit much).
The Matrix (sequels) - I thought the first one was a brilliant film, but they over did it with the sequels and - for me - ruined it.
Spiderman. Haven't seen the second one yet, but I'm betting its like the first...
Master and Commander - Hornblower is so much better.

Under-rated:
Equilibrium!!!! It is brilliant and really gives the Matrix a run for its money. Highly recommend everyone seeing it.

READ my reviews of films, theatre and concerts!
VOTE in the poll - Who has the most influence on which films you see at the cinema?
INVENT a caption - This months picture comes from Equilibrium!
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 12:02 PM   Senior Registered Member #40
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
Amen.

Adding more to the list:

Under-Rated:
- Bend It Like Beckham (In America at least...hardly anyone I ask has seen it, and those who have only saw it because I told them to)
- Superstar
- Win a Date With Tad Hamilton!

Over-Rated:
- Van Helsing
- Meet the Parents
- Something About Mary

Van Helsing wasn't rated all that high to begin with. Kind of hard to be overrated when you aren't rated well in the first place.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote