RUMOR: KA originally R- rated? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 11-07-2004, 05:56 AM   Senior Registered Member #1
frodo1511
Pin Dick

RUMOR: KA originally R- rated?

I was reading the Kansas City Star newspaper on wednsday( KA premiere) and I came across a story that Jerry Bruckheimer originally planned for the movie to be R-rated. If I remember correctly, he said he toned down the violence/ sex scenes to attract a bigger adudienc. He also did it because of the huge success of Pirates of the Carribbean(PG-13). Personally, I would have liked a R-rated version more( more violent, more of the "scene" and overall cooler. Maby it's just me, but I prefer Brukheimer's more adult movies better (Bad Boys II- now that was great!) feel free to reply

Last edited by frodo1511; 11-07-2004 at 06:00 PM.
frodo1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:19 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
Narg
Westie Yobbo

I dont know about the more sex scenes part, but the R-rated version does have more blood and guts, a dvd R-rated version will be released, he has stated that in a interview.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:32 AM   Knightley News #3
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

Bruckheimer did promise a "hard R" rating for this movie, but Disney made the cuts, not him. Their performance has been pretty poor at the box office so far this year, so in order to capture a wider audience cuts were made. But yes, Antoine Fuqua says the cut scenes will be back in for the DVD around December.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:47 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #4
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Yeah...it does seem a shame that the grittier scenes have been cut out as the film seems so dark and brooding (judging from trailers) that the grittier violence would probably (I've not seen it yet, of course) have improved the film...not sure a film like this will appeal to the typical teenybopper audience anyway, unlike POTC, so I think Disney have made a mistake here. The brooding grim nature seems more likely to appeal to adult audiences, and the fact the cast is relatively unknown (apart from Keira) outside of the UK doesn't suggest to me it'll appeal to the extra bums on seats they'll get by this softer rating. Ahhh well, such is life...still be a good film methinks.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:03 PM   Senior Registered Member #5
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Yeah, I kinda figured there was going to be additional content on the DVD, since Bruckheimer did comment about cutting additional, more violent, footage from the film in order to keep it at a PG-13 rating. Oh well, we will just have to wait until November/December for the goodies
frodo1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #6
dryadfemme33

Does anyone have a link to the interview in which Bruckheimer says there'll be an R rated DVD?
Old 11-07-2004, 11:20 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryadfemme33
Does anyone have a link to the interview in which Bruckheimer says there'll be an R rated DVD?
sorry, I only heard of it in my local newspaper, but I'll get back to you if I find it on DVD.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:37 PM   Knightley News #8
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryadfemme33
Bruckheimer only said last July that the film would be "hard R". Here's the link:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-f.../08/13.00.film

It was director Antoine Fuqua who said last week that the cut scenes will be back on the DVD. He was not a happy bunny that they were cut:
http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=4726
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...KGMJ6HVMI1.DTL

Paul
Old 12-07-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
Object Of Affection

Yeah i heard that and it's so lame that its a 12A (pg-13) like everyone said it's because of disney and the success of POTC that they have toned it down to make more MOnEYs.

Just because disney is going down the shit pan with it's film doesn't mean it needs to ruin other quality films.

Time to move aside disney and let pixar and dreamworks take over
Old 12-07-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
chillyfrog15
Newcomer

Quote:
I just got this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly in the mail today. There's an entire article about King Arthur and how much difficulty Bruckheimer and Disney gave director, Antoine Fuqua, when making this movie.

Here's a small rundown of the article:

-Origins of the script and idea for the movie

-Originally planned to be released Christmas 2004, giving Fuqua 5 months less.

-Planned to be rated-R, but with pressure from Bruckheimer, made A LOT of cuts to make it pg13

-Cut out decapitations because of sensitivity issues w/ terrorist violence in Iraq and Saudi Arabia

-After being submitted to ratings board, it came back rated R, Fuqua was fored to make bunches of cuts. [Guinevere's body count was reduced, for example]

-June 16: lighter, comedic scenes were shot

-June 13: Happy ending was filmed, replacing the funeral that was originally the end

-Bruckheimer convinced Disney to release Fuqua's R-rated version on DVD. "He deserves it," says Bruckheimer.

Last edited by chillyfrog15; 12-07-2004 at 11:23 PM. Reason: typo
chillyfrog15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:55 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Good fine, chillyfrog. I'm quite excited about the release of an R-rated version of the movie. Not that the movie sucked, I just think that most of the people going to see the movie, form the looks of the trailers, will be very suprised about how "clean" the movie is. I agree with Object of Affection, on how Disney is sucking bad as of late. The movie could have been 10X better if not for it's label. BTW, does anyone know if the R-rated DVD will come out at the same time as the theatrical release, or will we have to wait longer( LOTR EE, I'm looking at you)?